Open TigerLinks

Wilt Chamberlain appreciation thread
Bookmark and Share
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
Wilt Chamberlain appreciation thread
There was a lot of talk about who the goat of the nba is. I thought it deserved it's own thread.

05-08-2021 01:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMark Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Wilt Chamberlain appreciation thread
Averaged 50 & 25 one year plus 48.5 minutes played per game. Never came off the floor. Beyond impressive.
05-08-2021 02:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
no dice

great, but not the GOAT, sorry Hernander....since you post so much about the NBA lately, you should try watching the city's burgeoning young superstar in Ja Morant
05-08-2021 03:43 PM

(05-08-2021 03:43 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  no dice

great, but not the GOAT, sorry Hernander....since you post so much about the NBA lately, you should try watching the city's burgeoning young superstar in Ja Morant

I've seen him. He's very good.

I just post of yesteryear nba. I don't care for the current nba product. They let guys walk, palm the ball, foul etc. Then the ref that went to jail for betting outcomes wrote a book that the refs get a call before each game from the office telling them how to call the game. Ever wonder why the real lottery ball pick is not televised? I'm not sure it's on the up and up.

If I followed an nba team the griz would be a good one to follow. If I was that gullible.
05-08-2021 06:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SpiderMan79x Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Wilt was the man. The NBA has changed so much in the last 50+ years, but Wilt is without a doubt, in my mind, the greatest center to play the game. Throw all the era crap out the window, he would be dominate in ANY era. And unlike many of today's stars, he was a ironman throughout his career.

A few of his impressive records to ponder that most likely will never be broken:
Assist per game in a season by a center - 8.6 APG (Jokic has a shot)
Most shot attempts without a miss - 18 (most recent 2nd place Bryant 14 2018)
Most consecutive games without fouling out - 1045 aka he NEVER fouled out in his career
Rebounding: regular season game 55, playoff game 41 and season 2149
Highest scoring average in a season 50.4 PPG - no other player has come within 12 PPG of that ever.
Most career 50 point games 118, 60 point games 32 and 70 point games 6
Most points in a game - 100
Most minutes per game in a season - 48.5 MPG

They didn't track blocks back then (or steals), and almost certainly would hold some block records as well.

I think generally people throw GOAT conversation down to MJ or LeBron for the most part, and I totally get that especially if you were born in the last 40 years. Both deserve to be recognized on that level. LeBron is LeBron, I mean what else can you say? There has been no player like MJ either, he was killer. However in today streaming, on demand, see every second of every game world, it's of note to keep in mind that there is no where near the game video of Wilt's greatness. Hell much of his career (especially before LA) most games were played with no TV at all. For example, I believe his 100 point game was in front of about 3000 people, and there was no video of that game either. So I think a lot of people just don't really understand how great he actually was.

If he is not the GOAT, then he is on the NBA Mount Rushmore with MJ, LeBron and whoever you personally fancy for the 4th spot. Just my opinion.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2021 11:43 PM by SpiderMan79x.)
05-08-2021 11:41 PM
MvETigers Offline
Special Teams

(05-08-2021 11:41 PM)SpiderMan79x Wrote:  Wilt was the man. The NBA has changed so much in the last 50+ years, but Wilt is without a doubt, in my mind, the greatest center to play the game. Throw all the era crap out the window, he would be dominate in ANY era. And unlike many of today's stars, he was a ironman throughout his career.

A few of his impressive records to ponder that most likely will never be broken:
Most consecutive games without fouling out - 1045 aka he NEVER fouled out in his career
Highest scoring average in a season 50.4 PPG - no other player has come within 12 PPG of that ever.

They didn't track blocks back then (or steals), and almost certainly would hold some block records as well.

I think generally people throw GOAT conversation down to MJ or LeBron for the most part, and I totally get that especially if you were born in the last 40 years. Both deserve to be recognized on that level. LeBron is LeBron, I mean what else can you say? There has been no player like MJ either, he was killer. However in today streaming, on demand, see every second of every game world, it's of note to keep in mind that there is no where near the game video of Wilt's greatness. Hell much of his career (especially before LA) most games were played with no TV at all. For example, I believe his 100 point game was in front of about 3000 people, and there was no video of that game either. So I think a lot of people just don't really understand how great he actually was.

If he is not the GOAT, then he is on the NBA Mount Rushmore with MJ, LeBron and whoever you personally fancy for the 4th spot. Just my opinion.

Completely agree. If Championships is the reason MJ is over LJ, then Bill Russell might be the 4th player.

I've always said Wilt was the GOAT. His statistics are incredible and like you said still unmatched today. He also played against some of the best in his position in NBA history.
05-09-2021 09:10 AM
SpiderMan79x Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(05-09-2021 09:10 AM)MvETigers Wrote:  
(05-08-2021 11:41 PM)SpiderMan79x Wrote:  Wilt was the man. The NBA has changed so much in the last 50+ years, but Wilt is without a doubt, in my mind, the greatest center to play the game. Throw all the era crap out the window, he would be dominate in ANY era. And unlike many of today's stars, he was a ironman throughout his career.

Completely agree. If Championships is the reason MJ is over LJ, then Bill Russell might be the 4th player.

I've always said Wilt was the GOAT. His statistics are incredible and like you said still unmatched today. He also played against some of the best in his position in NBA history.

Rings are always a huge talking point for good reason. This is the only place you can find fault with Wilt. He had 2 championships, and made the finals 6 total times.

You are probably right on Russell for the 4th spot. He is a guy who will always be in the conversation with 11 championships. (Probably would have had 12 if not for the injury in 1958? finals) However, much like Wilt, I don't think most people today truly appreciate how great of a player Russell was either.
05-09-2021 02:28 PM
Advertisement

Wilt told MJ the league changed rules of the game to stop him while they changed the rules to help MJ.

05-09-2021 09:26 PM
jsw3ent Online
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(05-08-2021 06:00 PM)Hernando Hills Tiger Wrote:  

I've seen him. He's very good.

I just post of yesteryear nba. I don't care for the current nba product. They let guys walk, palm the ball, foul etc. Then the ref that went to jail for betting outcomes wrote a book that the refs get a call before each game from the office telling them how to call the game. Ever wonder why the real lottery ball pick is not televised? I'm not sure it's on the up and up.

If I followed an nba team the griz would be a good one to follow. If I was that gullible.

^^THIS^^---RASSLIN is fixed/fake----they even deliberately lose games---but its called tanking

Donaghy blew the top off---hasn't been the same since the 2nd best player for the bulls (Jordan) early years
05-10-2021 09:14 PM

05-21-2021 12:17 AM
Advertisement

08-26-2021 11:54 AM
BandwagonJumper Away
First name Greatest, Last name Ever

I Root For: winners
yeah, but could he create his own shot?
08-26-2021 04:39 PM
TGTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
I thought this was going to be about his legendary cocksmith status.
08-26-2021 05:01 PM
Advertisement

MemTigers1998 Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-26-2021 05:01 PM)TGTiger Wrote:  I thought this was going to be about his legendary cocksmith status.

Me too

Opened the thread to look for old man grizz’s post
08-26-2021 09:13 PM

(08-26-2021 04:39 PM)BandwagonJumper Wrote:  yeah, but could he create his own shot?

He could but struggled with the free throw shot.

RIP Jamammy
08-27-2021 11:45 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.