Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Consolidation of Pennsylvania Public Universities
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
Consolidation of Pennsylvania Public Universities
https://www.inquirer.com/education/state...tml#loaded

The Chancellor of the Pennsylvania Higher Education System is proposing to merge public universities. Enrollment has been decreasing during the past decade. The future financial forecasts don’t paint a good picture without making changes. In north-central PA, Bloomsburg, Lock Haven and Mansfield would combine. In western PA, Clarion, Edinboro and California would merge administrations.

These schools generally compete in NCAA Division II, and are facing the same demographic challenges as all other universities. The Chancellor wants the two restructured consortiums to have enrollments in the 13k to 17k range. The pandemic seems to have expedited the restructuring process.
05-05-2021 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
RE: Consolidation of Pennsylvania Public Universities
Perhaps the most damaging truth kernel:

Quote: But Schweyer, the Lehigh County Democrat, worried that the cure may cause more harm.

“Chancellor, you said a number of your … schools are failing. Why would anybody choose them today? Why would anybody choose them after a consolidation? I wouldn’t.”

But, what infuriates me as a PA resident is how this plan gets so heavily criticized, but the school that really needs to just be shut down yesterday is kept out of this. And you don’t see an alternative coming from that side.

So Cheyney keeps going, and West Chester keeps paying for all of them. And PSU keeps getting money to go after the same kind of kids who would go to the state schools to fill up PSU branch campuses, who are neglected and under-resourced themselves. This state sucks.
05-06-2021 05:58 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(05-06-2021 05:58 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Perhaps the most damaging truth kernel:

Quote: But Schweyer, the Lehigh County Democrat, worried that the cure may cause more harm.

“Chancellor, you said a number of your … schools are failing. Why would anybody choose them today? Why would anybody choose them after a consolidation? I wouldn’t.”

But, what infuriates me as a PA resident is how this plan gets so heavily criticized, but the school that really needs to just be shut down yesterday is kept out of this. And you don’t see an alternative coming from that side.

So Cheyney keeps going, and West Chester keeps paying for all of them. And PSU keeps getting money to go after the same kind of kids who would go to the state schools to fill up PSU branch campuses, who are neglected and under-resourced themselves. This state sucks.

Right—if Cheyney is in worse shape, then they should be absorbed. But the officials involved are afraid the alphabet organizations will come after them if they dare do anything to an HBCU, even a failing one.
05-06-2021 06:29 AM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

(05-06-2021 05:58 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Perhaps the most damaging truth kernel:

It will be hard to maintain the Cheyney and West Chester Universities' operating models much longer. Enrollment at Cheyney is down around 600 students, while West Chester is nearly 18K...and the schools are only a few miles apart. The internal study suggested that the financial structure is resulting in cross-subsidization of about $1K in annual tuition cost per student...from high enrollment & stable university students to the struggling public universities. Changing demographics is creating major issues.

IMO, don't let perfection be the enemy of the good. Public universities are seen as public goods...therefore, political considerations will be a huge part of this process. Merging some schools is a start. Aligning on the role of PSU branch campuses and/or Cheney-WCU would be good next steps.
05-06-2021 08:10 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul

The legislator does make a cogent point in connection with the larger picture: when has a high school student ever chosen a college because of an administrative restructuring? I doubt that has crossed the minds of nearly anyone actually applying to college. Now, students may very well have a fear of a college closing down and need the confidence that won't happen while they're attending, so that's a byproduct of an administrative restructuring. However, no one chooses a school simply based on a top-level restructuring in and of itself.

I'm not a PA resident, so I'm curious about the perception and use of the PSU Commonwealth campuses. On paper, the PSU branch system would seem to address three needs: (1) providing local regional colleges across a geographically dispersed state, (2) having a direct path to the main PSU flagship campus, which is an advantage that a non-PSU regional campus doesn't have, and (3) providing a release valve to surging demand for freshman admissions to the main PSU campus (which is an issue that is happening at a lot of flagship universities).

I don't know if it works as well as intended, but at least on paper, that system seems to make more sense for today's world (where we're seeing a "flight to quality" in higher education) compared to the separate silos between flagships and regional directional schools that most other states have. So, if I'm a PA legislator, it actually makes sense that I'd rather allocate more money to that type of PSU branch system (which has the carrot of a higher value PSU flagship degree at the end) compared to propping up other universities that wouldn't realistically attract more enrollment no matter how many dollars were thrown at them.

However, as I've said, I'm not a PA resident, so I don't know if it actually works that well in practice.
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021 08:42 AM by Frank the Tank.)
05-06-2021 08:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Penn State purposely opened branch schools right close to the schools that are not Penn State. If you take those students away from the Penn State branches and merged them with Bloomsburg and so forth? Bloomsburg would be up around 10,000 students. It is those Penn State branch campuses that are a waste of tax payers money. 10 of the 19 branch campuses have less than 1000 students. Those are the ones that should be closed down or merged, not the other schools.

Cheyney should merge with Lincoln since they are both HBCUs.
05-06-2021 12:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
I grew up close to a Penn State "branch" campus (Penn State Wilkes Barre). I always thought of it as a "junior" college and not the real Penn State. The smart students either left the Wilkes Barre area or the ones who didn't want to leave went to Wilkes, King's, or Scranton. Today PSU W-B offers nine bachelor's degrees. I highly doubt it's considered a serious four year school in Wilkes Barre nor is PSU Abington in the Philly area.
05-06-2021 03:48 PM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(05-06-2021 03:48 PM)schmolik Wrote:  I grew up close to a Penn State "branch" campus (Penn State Wilkes Barre). I always thought of it as a "junior" college and not the real Penn State. The smart students either left the Wilkes Barre area or the ones who didn't want to leave went to Wilkes, King's, or Scranton. Today PSU W-B offers nine bachelor's degrees. I highly doubt it's considered a serious four year school in Wilkes Barre nor is PSU Abington in the Philly area.

But is there a need for a PSU Wilkes-Barre, PSU-Scranton , AND PSU Hazleton? If ever there was a need to consolidate schools?
05-06-2021 04:02 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(05-06-2021 06:29 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

Right—if Cheyney is in worse shape, then they should be absorbed. But the officials involved are afraid the alphabet organizations will come after them if they dare do anything to an HBCU, even a failing one.

The NRA?

The ATF?

The FBI?

The....CIA?

NORML?

No, not the PTA and the HOA !!!!!
(This post was last modified: 05-06-2021 04:09 PM by TerryD.)
05-06-2021 04:09 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-06-2021 03:48 PM)schmolik Wrote:  I grew up close to a Penn State "branch" campus (Penn State Wilkes Barre). I always thought of it as a "junior" college and not the real Penn State. The smart students either left the Wilkes Barre area or the ones who didn't want to leave went to Wilkes, King's, or Scranton. Today PSU W-B offers nine bachelor's degrees. I highly doubt it's considered a serious four year school in Wilkes Barre nor is PSU Abington in the Philly area.

I grew up a few miles from the Penn State--Fayette Campus.

It reminded me of a middle school campus.
05-06-2021 04:10 PM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(05-06-2021 04:09 PM)TerryD Wrote:  

The NRA?

The ATF?

The FBI?

The....CIA?

NORML?

We'll just settle for the IRS.
05-06-2021 04:11 PM
Advertisement

Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(05-06-2021 08:41 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

The legislator does make a cogent point in connection with the larger picture: when has a high school student ever chosen a college because of an administrative restructuring? I doubt that has crossed the minds of nearly anyone actually applying to college. Now, students may very well have a fear of a college closing down and need the confidence that won't happen while they're attending, so that's a byproduct of an administrative restructuring. However, no one chooses a school simply based on a top-level restructuring in and of itself.

I'm not a PA resident, so I'm curious about the perception and use of the PSU Commonwealth campuses. On paper, the PSU branch system would seem to address three needs: (1) providing local regional colleges across a geographically dispersed state, (2) having a direct path to the main PSU flagship campus, which is an advantage that a non-PSU regional campus doesn't have, and (3) providing a release valve to surging demand for freshman admissions to the main PSU campus (which is an issue that is happening at a lot of flagship universities).

I don't know if it works as well as intended, but at least on paper, that system seems to make more sense for today's world (where we're seeing a "flight to quality" in higher education) compared to the separate silos between flagships and regional directional schools that most other states have. So, if I'm a PA legislator, it actually makes sense that I'd rather allocate more money to that type of PSU branch system (which has the carrot of a higher value PSU flagship degree at the end) compared to propping up other universities that wouldn't realistically attract more enrollment no matter how many dollars were thrown at them.

However, as I've said, I'm not a PA resident, so I don't know if it actually works that well in practice.

Your thought process is very logical and would make perfect sense if Pennsylvania followed a traditional template. Unfortunately, it does not, which makes this whole issue so complicated.

Penn State and Pitt, as well as Temple and Lincoln, are all state-affiliated institutions but none of them are state universities in the more traditional sense.

Think of them as sort of quasi state schools, because that is basically what they are. It all goes back to whenever they were creating a state lien system back in the 60s. Pitt, for example, was a fully private institution until the late 1960s.

Personally, I have long believed this needs to change because it does not serve the students of the Commonwealth very well. The above, especially Penn State and Pitt are outstanding schools. Anyone who attends them is getting a prestigious degree and more importantly a degree that is recognized as valuable throughout the region.

However, they also offer some of the most expensive in-state tuition in the country.

Students who are not quite in the top echelon or whose families don’t have those means have always had the opportunity to go to the state schools like, for example, Shippensburg, Slippery Rock, IUP, Millersburg, etc.

However, as Pitt and especially Penn State have grown their branch campuses, it has really crushed a lot of those smaller state schools for all the reasons outlined in this thread.

I cannot understand why the state legislature has allowed this to happen to their actual state run universities? They’re basically letting these semi-private institutions run their public universities out of business.

This is not to suggest that a re-organization would not be in order anyway. Population decline has rendered the need for 21 state schools — or whatever it is — moot. Pennsylvania doesn’t need that many state-run universities anymore. A consolidation has long needed to occur.

However, in that same vein, you can’t keep pouring money into Penn State to grow its branch campuses to run the existing schools out of business. Or, you can do that in consolidate the entire operation. However, then, the commonwealth needs to come in and run the University to regulate standards, control costs, etc. – which is never going to happen.

Allowing all of these state run universities to whether on the vine while Penn State is regularly Garden and propped up is not good for the majority of the families in the Commonwealth. They are ending up getting the same education at these branch schools but at a considerably higher cost.

Who is benefiting from that? Certainly not Pennsylvania families.

I think looking at this issue and blaming it on Cheney or Clarion or Bloomsburg or whomever is really missing the broader point. Pennsylvania has basically allowed Pitt and especially Penn State to develop systems that compete with their own system and with population decline that has created a resource scarcity that ultimately hurts everyone. Those smaller schools that are hurting right now or a symptom of a much larger issue that will soon impact larger schools.
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2021 10:56 AM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
05-07-2021 10:46 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC

The NRA?

The ATF?

The FBI?

The....CIA?

NORML?

Don’t be coy, we all know which ones I’m referring to. I’m trying to keep this from taking a turn towards the political.
05-07-2021 10:54 AM
UpStreamRedTeam Offline
1st String

I Root For: Rutgers
(05-07-2021 10:46 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  

Your thought process is very logical and would make perfect sense if Pennsylvania followed a traditional template. Unfortunately, it does not, which makes this whole issue so complicated.

Penn State and Pitt, as well as Temple and Lincoln, are all state-affiliated institutions but none of them are state universities in the more traditional sense.

Think of them as sort of quasi state schools, because that is basically what they are. It all goes back to whenever they were creating a state lien system back in the 60s. Pitt, for example, was a fully private institution until the late 1960s.

Personally, I have long believed this needs to change because it does not serve the students of the Commonwealth very well. The above, especially Penn State and Pitt are outstanding schools. Anyone who attends them is getting a prestigious degree and more importantly a degree that is recognized as valuable throughout the region.

However, they also offer some of the most expensive in-state tuition in the country.

Students who are not quite in the top echelon or whose families don’t have those means have always had the opportunity to go to the state schools like, for example, Shippensburg, Slippery Rock, IUP, Millersburg, etc.

However, as Pitt and especially Penn State have grown their branch campuses, it has really crushed a lot of those smaller state schools for all the reasons outlined in this thread.

I cannot understand why the state legislature has allowed this to happen to their actual state run universities? They’re basically letting these semi-private institutions run their public universities out of business.

This is not to suggest that a re-organization would not be in order anyway. Population decline has rendered the need for 21 state schools — or whatever it is — moot. Pennsylvania doesn’t need that many state-run universities anymore. A consolidation has long needed to occur.

However, in that same vein, you can’t keep pouring money into Penn State to grow its branch campuses to run the existing schools out of business. Or, you can do that in consolidate the entire operation. However, then, the commonwealth needs to come in and run the University to regulate standards, control costs, etc. – which is never going to happen.

Allowing all of these state run universities to whether on the vine while Penn State is regularly Garden and propped up is not good for the majority of the families in the Commonwealth. They are ending up getting the same education at these branch schools but at a considerably higher cost.

I think looking at this issue and blaming it on Cheney or Clarion or Bloomsburg or whomever is really missing the broader point. Pennsylvania has basically allowed Pitt and especially Penn State to develop systems that compete with their own system and with population decline that has created a resource scarcity that ultimately hurts everyone. Those smaller schools that are hurting right now or a symptom of a much larger issue that will soon impact larger schools.

This is second hand, but my niece and nephew both lived in PA and went to PSU, and there take on the branch campuses was that they were just a holding pen for kids who wanted to go to PSU but couldn't get in as freshman. As soon as the kids were able to transfer to State College they did.
05-07-2021 12:06 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(05-07-2021 12:06 PM)UpStreamRedTeam Wrote:  This is second hand, but my niece and nephew both lived in PA and went to PSU, and there take on the branch campuses was that they were just a holding pen for kids who wanted to go to PSU but couldn't get in as freshman. As soon as the kids were able to transfer to State College they did.

That's what a branch campus is supposed to be ... offer intro courses closer to home, let students get one or two years credit from the main university, then transfer to the main University that has the enrollment to support the full slate of upper division courses.
05-07-2021 01:26 PM
colohank Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincy
One of my cousins, long retired and recently passed away, was CEO of the DuBois campus for many years.
05-07-2021 02:18 PM
Advertisement

Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

(05-07-2021 10:46 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  

Regarding “in-state” tuition at state-related Pennsylvania schools...

When choosing a college, I asked our kids to apply to at least one in-state public school. That’s when I discovered that “in-state” tuition at Pitt is not that great a deal...I tried to instill a sense of value, but failed miserably. By the third kid, I gave-up on favoring in-state schools and just focused on public flagships or land grants. My revised thinking was to promote schools with a focus on school spirit and high-level athletics. I ended 0 for 4 in influencing my kids college decisions with these approaches.
05-07-2021 05:29 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

(05-07-2021 10:54 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  

The NRA?

The ATF?

The FBI?

The....CIA?

NORML?

Don’t be coy, we all know which ones I’m referring to. I’m trying to keep this from taking a turn towards the political.

I wasn't being "coy".

Mirriam-Webster defines "being coy" as:

"SHY, BASHFUL, DIFFIDENT, MODEST, COY mean not inclined to be forward. SHY implies a timid reserve and a shrinking from familiarity or contact with others. shy with strangers BASHFUL implies a frightened or hesitant shyness characteristic of childhood and adolescence. a bashful boy out on his first date DIFFIDENT stresses a distrust of one's own ability or opinion that causes hesitation in acting or speaking. felt diffident about raising an objection MODEST suggests absence of undue confidence or conceit. modest about her success COY implies a pretended shyness. put off by her coy manner."

I was merely having a bit of fun.

Sorry that bugged you while you were "trying (but failing) to keep this from turning political".
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2021 10:33 PM by TerryD.)
05-07-2021 10:27 PM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
Do not misinterpret the criticism toward Cheyney as blaming the institution. It's definitely not that. It's blaming the state and PASSHE system for how it has handled Cheyney. It's a big difference. It's how the state and system have responded to its system-wide issues by consolidating dying campuses out in the sticks and then lawmakers criticizing that response, though none of the consolidated campuses have shriveled to the point as Cheyney or faced stripped accreditation as them, either (and kudos to Cheyney for staving that one off). The whole structure suffers, and not because of Cheyney, but how it can't address campuses equally. It's as much a failure for how it can't seemingly touch Cheyney as it is not having a resolution for West Chester propping up the rest of the system.

And then there's the frustration over the state in how it funds Penn State and lets it run amok, as its branch campuses fight for the same kids that would have gone to the Clarion's, Bloomsburg's, Lock Haven's, and even the Cheyney's (I'm looking at you, Brandywine and Great Valley). The state has a fully public system. It doesn't need derivatives like Penn State's "empire" of branch campuses across the state. PSU should be reeled in for that. Temple and Pitt are more model: you don't see Temple and Pitt branch campuses on the opposite sides of the Susquehanna River. Penn State doesn't need to be in Philadelphia, Allentown, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Harrisburg, Altoona, Pittsburgh, and Erie.

And there's frustration over how PASSHE can't evolve to tackle STEM and medical/health sciences. But Penn State can be...whatever it wants to be. That's deliberate because of the state...shame on them.

As for PSU's branch/commonwealth campuses, many believe these are still 2+2 feeders into Main Campus, but that's been challenged over the years. My brother and I both started at Altoona. Whereas he could have transferred up to University Park after declaring a major that had no courses at Altoona back in '94-95, by '98-99, when I also changed majors during the first semester, I got a phone call telling me that I literally HAD to complete 2 years at Altoona because they now had a paltry offering of core courses for the major (and when I eventually did transfer to finish up at University Park, it took some help from a ranking faculty member and program chair to get me in; PSU administration wanted me back at Altoona). Within ten years or so, many of these 2+2 campuses started offering the four-year degrees. They also started putting restrictions onto University Park programs, such as business and engineering schools. It's to a point where if you didn't get into University Park when you applied, you weren't likely getting there ever. It's not impossible, but it's much more difficult to transfer now, and not the same as it was 20 years ago, and almost unrecognizable to what used to be 30 years ago.

FWIW, I would have been fine with Altoona had the campus actually had a fraction of the resources, faculty, and course catalog as University Park. Instead, we had trailer classrooms, old computers, a sea of adjunct instructors who skipped around the region, and little to no campus spirit (a dead place Friday afternoon to Monday morning). I wanted out of there more than anything because I was not going to pay University Park prices for community college experience. And nowhere did I agree to going there with a commitment for two years, either. At that time, Lock Haven would have been far better a choice.

Back in 2015ish or so, I had an interview for a position within PSU Brandywine's Academic Affairs office, supporting operations. I asked during that interview what was a common day with respect to the office's intake. Without hesitation, both administrators said: students and parents who are upset about being at the campus and can't go to University Park. I am left to wonder what Penn State is telling these kids when they recruit and admit. For it to be such an issue that the academic offices are faced with this wave of backlash...is there something underhanded really going on within the school? And if so, why is the state okay with this, since these are the kids who the state truly funds PSU and PASSHE to educate? These kids should be going to the PASSHE schools.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2021 10:58 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
05-08-2021 10:53 AM
CrazyPaco Offline
All American

I Root For:
(05-08-2021 10:53 AM)The Cutter of Bish Wrote:  Do not misinterpret the criticism toward Cheyney as blaming the institution. It's definitely not that. It's blaming the state and PASSHE system for how it has handled Cheyney. It's a big difference. It's how the state and system have responded to its system-wide issues by consolidating dying campuses out in the sticks and then lawmakers criticizing that response, though none of the consolidated campuses have shriveled to the point as Cheyney or faced stripped accreditation as them, either (and kudos to Cheyney for staving that one off). The whole structure suffers, and not because of Cheyney, but how it can't address campuses equally. It's as much a failure for how it can't seemingly touch Cheyney as it is not having a resolution for West Chester propping up the rest of the system.

And then there's the frustration over the state in how it funds Penn State and lets it run amok, as its branch campuses fight for the same kids that would have gone to the Clarion's, Bloomsburg's, Lock Haven's, and even the Cheyney's (I'm looking at you, Brandywine and Great Valley). The state has a fully public system. It doesn't need derivatives like Penn State's "empire" of branch campuses across the state. PSU should be reeled in for that. Temple and Pitt are more model: you don't see Temple and Pitt branch campuses on the opposite sides of the Susquehanna River. Penn State doesn't need to be in Philadelphia, Allentown, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Harrisburg, Altoona, Pittsburgh, and Erie.

And there's frustration over how PASSHE can't evolve to tackle STEM and medical/health sciences. But Penn State can be...whatever it wants to be. That's deliberate because of the state...shame on them.

As for PSU's branch/commonwealth campuses, many believe these are still 2+2 feeders into Main Campus, but that's been challenged over the years. My brother and I both started at Altoona. Whereas he could have transferred up to University Park after declaring a major that had no courses at Altoona back in '94-95, by '98-99, when I also changed majors during the first semester, I got a phone call telling me that I literally HAD to complete 2 years at Altoona because they now had a paltry offering of core courses for the major (and when I eventually did transfer to finish up at University Park, it took some help from a ranking faculty member and program chair to get me in; PSU administration wanted me back at Altoona). Within ten years or so, many of these 2+2 campuses started offering the four-year degrees. They also started putting restrictions onto University Park programs, such as business and engineering schools. It's to a point where if you didn't get into University Park when you applied, you weren't likely getting there ever. It's not impossible, but it's much more difficult to transfer now, and not the same as it was 20 years ago, and almost unrecognizable to what used to be 30 years ago.

FWIW, I would have been fine with Altoona had the campus actually had a fraction of the resources, faculty, and course catalog as University Park. Instead, we had trailer classrooms, old computers, a sea of adjunct instructors who skipped around the region, and little to no campus spirit (a dead place Friday afternoon to Monday morning). I wanted out of there more than anything because I was not going to pay University Park prices for community college experience. And nowhere did I agree to going there with a commitment for two years, either. At that time, Lock Haven would have been far better a choice.

Back in 2015ish or so, I had an interview for a position within PSU Brandywine's Academic Affairs office, supporting operations. I asked during that interview what was a common day with respect to the office's intake. Without hesitation, both administrators said: students and parents who are upset about being at the campus and can't go to University Park. I am left to wonder what Penn State is telling these kids when they recruit and admit. For it to be such an issue that the academic offices are faced with this wave of backlash...is there something underhanded really going on within the school? And if so, why is the state okay with this, since these are the kids who the state truly funds PSU and PASSHE to educate? These kids should be going to the PASSHE schools.

Well here's what they are telling students: 50% of all Penn State students start out at a branch and transfer to another campus and that is the normal path to a degree. Come here as a way to get your "prestigious" PSU degree with our 2+2 plan: https://issuu.com/psuadmissions/docs/pen...82/2639975

Most of these PSU branches are still facility, resource, and academically very poor. They were all started as 2-year community colleges. Only a couple of them, particularly Erie and Altoona, have grown into more substantial residential campuses with more robust offerings than the others, but most are still viewed very much as feeder, commuter schools. Some only have a building or two and the majority have few choices (12 or less) for 4-year offerings.

In the 80s, Penn State lobbied the Pennsylvania legislature to allow them turn all of their branches into 4-year schools, very much over the vociferous protests of the state PSSHE schools, as they knew what the result would entail. The PSSHE lobby was and is no political match for the PSU lobby, and the results of this are the duplicative mess that Pennsylvania now has to deal with. It is a shame, because the PSSHE schools are much better academic schools with actual residential campuses and, at least at one time, resources you'd expect from an actual college experience.

I can tell you Pitt's campuses aren't anywhere close to what PSU's branches are, historically or otherwise. Pitt-Johnstown started in 1927 and grew out of extension classes requested by that city. It is now a Division II school that is has a large residential campus that is entirely geared toward providing 4-year degrees, including a full stand-alone engineering and BSN programs. Pitt-Johnstown actually competes athletically in the PSAC will the other PSSHE schools. The other two Pitt campuses (Greensburg and Bradford) are Division III schools that were also created while Pitt was still fully private at the request of the communities they were placed in. Neither of them really overlap with the PSSHE schools. All three of them have larger campuses, acreage-wise, than the main Pittsburgh campus, and all are intended to be 4-year residential campuses where transfer to the main Pittsburgh campus, nor any other, is neither encouraged or guaranteed. The fourth "campus" in Titusville is tiny and has been turned into a educational and occupational regional training hub that has never offered 4-year degrees and is actually run by Pitt-Bradford.
(This post was last modified: 05-08-2021 12:16 PM by CrazyPaco.)
05-08-2021 12:10 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.