Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

I’m an outsider. What happened to Rice baseball?
Cardiff Offline
1st String

I Root For: Marshall + Liberty
And how did it happen?
04-24-2021 07:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
RE: I’m an outsider. What happened to Rice baseball?
See just about any baseball thread in this forum from the last 4’years for a summary.

In summary - some bad decision relative to Wayne Graham and the baseball program by the AD PLUS Wayne being stubborn and hanging on too long after competing recruiters used his age and expected retirement against him, coupled with competition finding creative ways to supplement the 11 or so scholarships permitted by the NCAA at a time the cost of attendance at Rice exploded. Many of us wanted Berkman, Hallmark or a Texas-based coach to follow WG, but our AD went with an out-of-stater who had one great season, Matt Bragga. MB made some questionable decisions relative to pulling scholarships when he arrived which ticked off TX HS and travel ball coaches, which will hamper his in-state recruiting efforts for years.

Others can add more detail, but that’s the high points from my uneducated, but long time fan/season ticket holder perspectve.
04-24-2021 08:26 PM
Cardiff Offline
1st String

(04-24-2021 08:26 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  competition finding creative ways to supplement the 11 or so scholarships permitted by the NCAA at a time the cost of attendance at Rice exploded.
Within the NCAA, what constituency is in favor of the 11 or so scholarship limit for baseball?
04-24-2021 09:05 PM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
(04-24-2021 09:05 PM)Cardiff Wrote:  
(04-24-2021 08:26 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  competition finding creative ways to supplement the 11 or so scholarships permitted by the NCAA at a time the cost of attendance at Rice exploded.
Within the NCAA, what constituency is in favor of the 11 or so scholarship limit for baseball?

Football... because it was part of the Title IX compromise.
04-24-2021 09:35 PM
waltgreenberg Offline
Legend

The Parliament Awards
(04-24-2021 08:26 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  See just about any baseball thread in this forum from the last 4’years for a summary.

In summary - some bad decision relative to Wayne Graham and the baseball program by the AD PLUS Wayne being stubborn and hanging on too long after competing recruiters used his age and expected retirement against him, coupled with competition finding creative ways to supplement the 11 or so scholarships permitted by the NCAA at a time the cost of attendance at Rice exploded. Many of us wanted Berkman, Hallmark or a Texas-based coach to follow WG, but our AD went with an out-of-stater who had one great season, Matt Bragga. MB made some questionable decisions relative to pulling scholarships when he arrived which ticked off TX HS and travel ball coaches, which will hamper his in-state recruiting efforts for years.

Others can add more detail, but that’s the high points from my uneducated, but long time fan/season ticket holder perspectve.

The above in bold is an opinion; NOT a fact.
04-24-2021 10:22 PM
Advertisement

Tomball Owl Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-24-2021 10:22 PM)waltgreenberg Wrote:  
(04-24-2021 08:26 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  See just about any baseball thread in this forum from the last 4’years for a summary.

Others can add more detail, but that’s the high points from my uneducated, but long time fan/season ticket holder perspective.

I personally know one kid who committed to Rice and had his scholarship offer pulled. He was a sophomore on my son’s HS team when my son was a senior. Left-handed pitcher that had a successful college career at a school that pummeled Bragga’s Owls this year. So my statement is more than opinion, based at least in part on personal experience. And I did say it was my perspective.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2021 09:28 AM by Tomball Owl.)
04-24-2021 10:31 PM
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Rice

All of that is opinion, Walt.

Its an opinion that most certainly agree with, no?
04-24-2021 11:23 PM
Musicowl1965 Offline
2nd String

(04-24-2021 10:31 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

I personally know one kid who committed to Rice and had his scholarship offer pulled. He was a sophomore on my son’s HS team when my son was a senior. Left-handed pitcher that had a successful college career at a school that pummeled Bragga’s Owls this year. So my statement is more than opinion.

This absolutely was done. So, not opinion Walt. Reasons for why this was done may be opinion but not the pulling of offers. A reason I heard was there were too many schollys for pitchers and not enough position players prior to new regime coming in. So some hard decisions had to be made. Not claiming this as fact but I did hear it so take it for what it’s worth.
04-24-2021 11:25 PM
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

(04-24-2021 10:31 PM)Tomball Owl Wrote:  

I personally know one kid who committed to Rice and had his scholarship offer pulled. He was a sophomore on my son’s HS team when my son was a senior. Left-handed pitcher that had a successful college career at a school that pummeled Bragga’s Owls this year. So my statement is more than opinion.

I can add to this but Walt would get mad at me.

Another of the pulled schollys is having an All Region type year on the mound for a local Juco...and he's certainly looking forward to pitching against Rice next year if he ends up in the same conference.
04-24-2021 11:26 PM
Advertisement

bigowlsfan Offline
2nd String

This is a great summary without painful bias or editorializing to excess. Well-done.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2021 08:08 AM by bigowlsfan.)
04-25-2021 08:08 AM
illiniowl Offline
1st String

I Root For:
It's the "will hamper his in-state recruiting efforts for years" that is unquestionably opinion/hyperbole (not necessarily by Tomball Owl).

I also think the "creative ways to supplement scholarships" bit is mostly urban legend and excuse-making (again, not necessarily by Tomball Owl).
04-25-2021 12:41 PM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(04-25-2021 12:41 PM)illiniowl Wrote:  I also think the "creative ways to supplement scholarships" bit is mostly urban legend and excuse-making (again, not necessarily by Tomball Owl).

I think that part is pretty much fact. When the net price to attend Rice is $20k/year more than for TCU, Baylor, or LSU, and the value of that Rice degree is not so great for someone whose ultimate career target is MLB, that is very real. Fortunately, the Rice Investment should address this issue in many, if not all, cases.
04-25-2021 01:15 PM
Cardiff Offline
1st String

(04-25-2021 01:15 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Fortunately, the Rice Investment should address this issue in many, if not all, cases.
?????
04-25-2021 04:09 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
(04-25-2021 04:09 PM)Cardiff Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 01:15 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  Fortunately, the Rice Investment should address this issue in many, if not all, cases.
?????

Rice Investment
04-25-2021 04:16 PM
Almadenmike Offline
Hall of Famer

DonatorsNew Orleans BowlDonators
(04-25-2021 04:16 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  
(04-25-2021 04:09 PM)Cardiff Wrote:  
?????

Rice Investment

It's the name for how Rice now implements its financial aid program. FYI, here's a short description from the FAQ on the page linked above (so you don't have to root around to find it):

Quote:Through a need-based financial aid package, The Rice Investment grants families in the income ranges listed above either awards that cover full tuition, fees, and room and board; full tuition; or half tuition, depending on total income and assets. We also meet 100% of demonstrated financial need for families that do not fall within the listed income ranges.
(This post was last modified: 04-25-2021 04:26 PM by Almadenmike.)
04-25-2021 04:24 PM
Cardiff Offline
1st String

Thank you for each response. Good luck to Rice, both in baseball and in everything else. Still bruised from that shutout you laid on us in football. But no complaints about refs or bad-luck or anything like that. Y’all just rolled right over us.
04-27-2021 11:32 AM
GoodOwl Online
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
Question RE: I’m an outsider. What happened to Rice baseball?
Rice decided to take back control of its baseball program from someone who knew what he was doing.
see also: 45, 46*.
04-27-2021 03:11 PM
Advertisement

Buho00 Offline
1st String

I Root For:
(04-27-2021 03:11 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Rice decided to take back control of its baseball program from someone who knew what he was doing.
04-27-2021 04:02 PM
Owl1998 Offline
Special Teams

(04-27-2021 03:11 PM)GoodOwl Wrote:  Rice decided to take back control of its baseball program from someone who knew what he was doing.
see also: 45, 46*.

03-banghead
04-27-2021 08:32 PM
owl at the moon Online
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
(04-27-2021 11:32 AM)Cardiff Wrote:  Thank you for each response. Good luck to Rice, both in baseball and in everything else. Still bruised from that shutout you laid on us in football. But no complaints about refs or bad-luck or anything like that. Y’all just rolled right over us.

Hey don’t forget the men’s basketball tournament too!! :)
But honestly I don’t know how we did against you guys in baseball this year cause I just don’t follow that sport closely anymore. But I can still tell you how many games WG won as an Owl (see my profile pic for a hint)
05-01-2021 04:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.