Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Worst Terminations in College Basketball History
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
MyBB Worst Terminations in College Basketball History
What do you think are some of the worst or premature firings in college basketball history?

I have to say Tark being ousted at UNLV was crippling to the program. He would have coached another decade and most likely kept the program flying high. Hell, they had that non-televised season where they lost like two games and were ineligible for the Dance.

Another one to less of a degree perhaps is UMass canning Bruiser Flint after the five seasons following Calipari and a .650 overall conference winning percentage. He made two Dances and an NIT. They've only made one Dance since 1998 and they fired that guy.* I believe Flint would have stuck around long term and kept them competitive. To put this in perspective, the current coach has a .359 conference winning percentage after four seasons. Yikes.

* to be fair they've had a few deep NIT runs including one where they were obviously a tournament team.
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2021 11:02 AM by esayem.)
04-13-2021 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
RE: Worst Terminations in College Basketball History
Bruiser Flint? Yeah, he was super successful at Drexel. UMass messed up big, by letting him go. :/
04-13-2021 11:05 AM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(04-13-2021 11:05 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Bruiser Flint? Yeah, he was super successful at Drexel. UMass messed up big, by letting him go. :/

Absolutely. Bruiser Flint won 19 in a row in a 29-win season - at the #6 school in the city. Good point.
04-13-2021 11:22 AM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
East Carolina fired their current head coach a long time ago. After going through several other coaches, ECU finally decided to rehire their current coach.
04-13-2021 12:18 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
Older:
Joey Meyer (DePaul)
Bob Huggins (Cincinnati)
Bobby Knight (Indiana)
Rick Barnes (Texas)
Al Skinner (Boston College)

Recent:
Bryce Drew (Vanderbilt)
Scott Cross (UT Arlington)
Jason Shay (ETSU)
04-13-2021 12:24 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
Lefty Driesell was one of my favorites, and it's a shame he was out of major coaching after 1986. He was only 55; it would have been interesting to see how he would have navigated the fallout after Len Bias had he remained as coach at Maryland.
04-13-2021 12:25 PM
Advertisement

Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
Knight was caught on camera assaulting a player.
Driesell was fired in the Bias fallout

Was Westhead fired after Gathers died?
04-13-2021 12:32 PM
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
(04-13-2021 12:32 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Knight was caught on camera assaulting a player.
Driesell was fired in the Bias fallout

Was Westhead fired after Gathers died?

He left to take the Denver Nuggets job.
04-13-2021 12:36 PM
sctvman Offline
1st String

I Root For: C of Charleston
Tony Shaver at William & Mary after 2018-19. Basically his entire team transferred after that. They would have been prohibitive favorite to win the CAA and go to the NCAAs for first time ever (which would have been cancelled), but alone Justin Pierce went to North Carolina, Chase Audige to Northwestern, Luke Loewe to Minnesota, Matt Milon to UCF, and another guy went to UMBC.
04-13-2021 12:40 PM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Some might contend Vanderbilt's politely showing Kevin Stallings the door was (as we now look back) a bad move (VU has struggle a bit with Bryce Drew and, now, Jerry Stackhouse).

But I said at the time (and still feel): "Good riddance."
04-13-2021 12:52 PM
goofus Offline
All American

I Root For: Iowa
Not the worst from a national perspective, but the worst for Iowa was when Iowa fired Dr. Tom Davis. Lets just say things did not work out as expected.

Everybody expected Steve Alford to be the new savior at Iowa. Years later Alford ran away to New Mexico right before he was going to be fired at Iowa. Then Iowa hired Butler's head coach, lickliter, but should have hired their assistant coach Brad Stevens instead.

Lickliter was a disaster at Iowa and was fired after only 3 seasons. Fran McCaffery managed to get the program almost back to Tom Davis levels, but has yet to get to the sweet 16 or win the Big Ten, which is why Tom Davis was fired in the first place
04-13-2021 01:01 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(04-13-2021 12:24 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Older:
Joey Meyer (DePaul)
Bob Huggins (Cincinnati)
Bobby Knight (Indiana)
Rick Barnes (Texas)
Al Skinner (Boston College)

Recent:
Bryce Drew (Vanderbilt)
Scott Cross (UT Arlington)
Jason Shay (ETSU)

Solid list and I forgot about Joey Meyer. Al Skinner seemed to be run out of town and he was really establishing something there. I have to think he would be like Hamilton at FSU by now with that kind of experience.
04-13-2021 01:15 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(04-13-2021 11:22 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(04-13-2021 11:05 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  Bruiser Flint? Yeah, he was super successful at Drexel. UMass messed up big, by letting him go. :/

Absolutely. Bruiser Flint won 19 in a row in a 29-win season - at the #6 school in the city. Good point.

I guess he didn't read how dismal they've been in conference since Flint.
04-13-2021 01:16 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(04-13-2021 12:32 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Knight was caught on camera assaulting a player.

No doubt, but that wasn't what got him fired. After the tape from several years prior came to light, the school put Knight on zero tolerance policy moving forward. It was only after Knight grabbed a student by the arm for failing to address him as "Coach Knight" or "Mr. Knight" that the school dismissed him.

IU handled the termination of Knight poorly. It has failed to reach the same levels of success since.
04-13-2021 01:24 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U
(04-13-2021 01:16 PM)esayem Wrote:  

Flint went 3-15 his last year. Spiker had the same record his first and has had better conference records since. I guess all coaches should keep their jobs for 15 years without going to the NCAA tournament
04-13-2021 01:37 PM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(04-13-2021 12:52 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Some might contend Vanderbilt's politely showing Kevin Stallings the door was (as we now look back) a bad move (VU has struggle a bit with Bryce Drew and, now, Jerry Stackhouse).

But I said at the time (and still feel): "Good riddance."

Would have been interesting to see what Eddie Fogler would have done if Vandy ponied up and tried to keep him around.

FOGLER LEAVING VANDY ON PRINCIPLE
(This post was last modified: 04-13-2021 01:40 PM by esayem.)
04-13-2021 01:39 PM
Advertisement

esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

(04-13-2021 01:37 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(04-13-2021 01:16 PM)esayem Wrote:  

Flint went 3-15 his last year. Spiker had the same record his first and has had better conference records since. I guess all coaches should keep their jobs for 15 years without going to the NCAA tournament

Um, what does what Bruiser Flint did at Drexel later in his career have to do with what he could have done if he hadn't had the rug pulled from under him at a better program, in a better conference, with better resources, and a legacy of being the assistant to the greatest coach to walk on that campus?

Or alternately, you can look at his record at UMass which is better in-conference than anyone that came after him. 04-cheers
04-13-2021 01:43 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
Orlando Antigua at USF*
04-13-2021 01:47 PM
panite Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Owls-SC-RU-Navy
(04-13-2021 01:01 PM)goofus Wrote:  Not the worst from a national perspective, but the worst for Iowa was when Iowa fired Dr. Tom Davis. Lets just say things did not work out as expected.

Everybody expected Steve Alford to be the new savior at Iowa. Years later Alford ran away to New Mexico right before he was going to be fired at Iowa. Then Iowa hired Butler's head coach, lickliter, but should have hired their assistant coach Brad Stevens instead.

Lickliter was a disaster at Iowa and was fired after only 3 seasons. Fran McCaffery managed to get the program almost back to Tom Davis levels, but has yet to get to the sweet 16 or win the Big Ten, which is why Tom Davis was fired in the first place

Remember when Tom Davis coached at Lafayette College in the Patriot League. 04-cheers
04-13-2021 01:48 PM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
Jim Valvano (NCSt)
Steve Fisher (Michigan)
Lefty Driesell (Maryland)

The mid 80s to late 90s must have been a time when administrators cleaned-house first and asked questions later.
04-13-2021 01:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.