Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Post Reply 
SFA AD: Lumberjacks Will Net $250k+ With Move to WAC
Author Message
Bookmark and Share
TexasTerror Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 492
Joined: Jun 2010
Reputation: 16
I Root For: SHSU
Location:
Post: #1
SFA AD: Lumberjacks Will Net $250k+ With Move to WAC
The article is behind a paywall but very notable that SFA is projecting that they will net over $250k in the WAC compared to what they were realizing in the Southland.

Would love to know more of why that is and what areas they project will see increases in revenue.

Quote:Joining the Western Athletic Conference made solid financial sense for Stephen F. Austin State University despite increased travel for men’s and women’s basketball teams, Athletic Director Ryan Ivey told members of the Nacogdoches Chamber of Commerce on Tuesday.

The university stands to net around $258,000 by moving from the Southland Conference to the WAC at the end of the academic year, Ivey said.

https://www.dailysentinel.com/news/local...5862d.html
03-31-2021 09:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement


RobtheAggie Offline
Special Teams
*

Posts: 605
Joined: Jan 2017
Reputation: 34
I Root For: NMSU
Location:
Post: #2
RE: SFA AD: Lumberjacks Will Net $250k+ With Move to WAC
This must have been before ACU's run and the extra credits the Southland schools will receive.
03-31-2021 10:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DoubleRSU Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,741
Joined: Aug 2015
Reputation: 64
I Root For: SU, WAC, NAU
Location:
Post: #3
RE: SFA AD: Lumberjacks Will Net $250k+ With Move to WAC
(03-31-2021 10:11 AM)RobtheAggie Wrote:  This must have been before ACU's run and the extra credits the Southland schools will receive.

That’s $337,141 for 5 years. That’s $1,685,705 coming to the Southland. Had the “Texas 4” and UCA stayed that’s divided by 13 - which would have been $129,670 or $25,934 a year for 5 years. Not much. The current SLC schools will end up with $42,143 extra a year now.
03-31-2021 11:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TexasTerror Offline
2nd String
*

Posts: 492
Joined: Jun 2010
Reputation: 16
I Root For: SHSU
Location:
Post: #4
RE: SFA AD: Lumberjacks Will Net $250k+ With Move to WAC
(03-31-2021 11:47 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  That’s $337,141 for 5 years. That’s $1,685,705 coming to the Southland. Had the “Texas 4” and UCA stayed that’s divided by 13 - which would have been $129,670 or $25,934 a year for 5 years. Not much. The current SLC schools will end up with $42,143 extra a year now.

And keep in mind that each league has different guidelines for how the units are divided. For all we know, the Southland office could get a unit or that the school responsible gets 25% and the remaining 75% is divided amongst the rest.

Still curious to learn more about the revenue situation
03-31-2021 11:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Todor Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,275
Joined: Jan 2019
Reputation: 78
I Root For: NMSU
Location:
Post: #5
RE: SFA AD: Lumberjacks Will Net $250k+ With Move to WAC
Unless they don't divide it evenly in that conference.
03-31-2021 12:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement


DoubleRSU Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,741
Joined: Aug 2015
Reputation: 64
I Root For: SU, WAC, NAU
Location:
Post: #6
RE: SFA AD: Lumberjacks Will Net $250k+ With Move to WAC
(03-31-2021 11:59 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  
(03-31-2021 11:47 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  That’s $337,141 for 5 years. That’s $1,685,705 coming to the Southland. Had the “Texas 4” and UCA stayed that’s divided by 13 - which would have been $129,670 or $25,934 a year for 5 years. Not much. The current SLC schools will end up with $42,143 extra a year now.

And keep in mind that each league has different guidelines for how the units are divided. For all we know, the Southland office could get a unit or that the school responsible gets 25% and the remaining 75% is divided amongst the rest.

Still curious to learn more about the revenue situation

For sure, but it’s not like the Texas 4 are missing out on boatloads of cash.
03-31-2021 12:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SMUstang Online
1st String
*

Posts: 2,355
Joined: Jan 2004
Reputation: 150
I Root For: SMU Mustangs
Location: Horseshoe Bay, Texas
Post: #7
RE: SFA AD: Lumberjacks Will Net $250k+ With Move to WAC
A $258,000 gain is nice. I wonder how they figure that? Are they talking annual increases or some other measure? Why is the WAC membership worth so much more than the Southland's? Are the media rights enough to make that much difference? The Southland currently has 13 members and the WAC has 9 members. After the switch the Southland will have 9 members and the WAC will have 13 members after losing Chicago State.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2021 02:14 PM by SMUstang.)
03-31-2021 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Todor Offline
1st String
*

Posts: 1,275
Joined: Jan 2019
Reputation: 78
I Root For: NMSU
Location:
Post: #8
RE: SFA AD: Lumberjacks Will Net $250k+ With Move to WAC
(03-31-2021 12:50 PM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  
(03-31-2021 11:59 AM)TexasTerror Wrote:  
(03-31-2021 11:47 AM)DoubleRSU Wrote:  That’s $337,141 for 5 years. That’s $1,685,705 coming to the Southland. Had the “Texas 4” and UCA stayed that’s divided by 13 - which would have been $129,670 or $25,934 a year for 5 years. Not much. The current SLC schools will end up with $42,143 extra a year now.

And keep in mind that each league has different guidelines for how the units are divided. For all we know, the Southland office could get a unit or that the school responsible gets 25% and the remaining 75% is divided amongst the rest.

Still curious to learn more about the revenue situation

For sure, but it’s not like the Texas 4 are missing out on boatloads of cash.

Its practically nothing compared to virtual treasure trove of riches coming their way just by joining the WAC. And don't forget, that's AFTER the increase in travel cost. I bet those figures really impressed them down to the VFW, Kiwanis, Lions Club etc.

Its a curious figure. Denotes smart management, without signifying that things aren't still tight, or that the WAC move isn't as hair brained as it appears. In fact, its the perfect fundraiser speech. I'm actually impressed.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2021 01:24 PM by Todor.)
03-31-2021 01:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CrimsonPhantom Offline
Warden Of The WAC
*

Posts: 18,305
Joined: Mar 2013
Reputation: 1545
I Root For: NM State
Location:
Post: #9
RE: SFA AD: Lumberjacks Will Net $250k+ With Move to WAC
(03-31-2021 12:53 PM)SMUstang Wrote:  A $258,000 gain is nice. I wonder how they figure that? Are they talking annual increases or some other measure? Why is the WAC membership worth so much more than the Southland's? Are the media rights enough to make that much difference? The Southland currently has 13 members and the WAC has 9 members. After the switch the Southland will have 9 members and the WAC will have 13 members after losing Chicago State.

In the WAC, nope.
03-31-2021 03:39 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 




User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)


Copyright © 2002-2021 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2021 MyBB Group.