Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Relevant Coaching Experience for Baseball
Owl Is In Chains Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Rice
Relevant Coaching Experience for Baseball
IIRC, relevant college coaching experience was mentioned as a key criteria in the selection of Bragga. What are your thoughts on what coaching experience (and length of time for each), if any, would be required for the job?

I would mention some things to consider:

High School: David Hall came from high school in the 80s and at one time had the owls in the top 5, but was not able to sustain it.

Junior College: I don't think I need to provide an example here.

College: Does level matter?

MLB: What about assistants from MLB?

None: Some MLB stars have coached at the college level without any experience with varying levels of success. Also, what about people who have been teachers or instructors after their careers, but have not actually coached?

I will add my thoughts on this later.
03-31-2021 08:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Online
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
RE: Relevant Coaching Experience for Baseball
I think anyone who has coached successfully at any of those levels has the coaching and mentoring abilities to be successful. What is needed at the collegiate level is recruiting ability, and in the Houston area that largely boils down to contacts within the Houston and Texas high school coaching fraternities.

I thought it was instructive that, at the reception in Reckling to welcome home the National Champion team, Wayne made a particular point to mention, by name, the Houston area high school coaches that had developed players on the team. Two funny comments from that event. Regarding one coach Wayne said, "He must have been a great coach. He had to put up with Roger Clemens for 4 years, I only had him for one." And one player who shall remain nameless (but a lot of you can probably guess who) was talking to my ex-wife and I and finally said, "Excuse me, but my butt is sweating so much I have to get out of here."
03-31-2021 08:58 AM
Musicowl1965 Offline
2nd String

Excellent questions. I believe the most important criteria is how the coach relates to the players. Former college & pro guys know the game the value is how this is communicated to the players. One thing I've heard over and over at all levels (HS being the worst) is that problems arise when there is lack of clear communication. This communication needs to go both ways and player input should be welcome and encouraged. If coaches have communicated properly all are on the same page and will buy in to what they are saying/teaching. Recruitment is also a huge factor and coaches need to have excellent relationships with HS coaches and summer ball coaches to evaluate talent etc. Also, the coach needs to be flexible and not try to get every player to fit into a defined (by the coach) box. I heard an interview with Scott Brown (Vandy pitching coach) and he rarely makes changes to pitchers in the program as all have different strengths etc. but what he does do is his dead level best to help them improve on the talents they have. His door is always open and he encourages a back and forth discussion on what he may see as strengths vs what the player may see and come up with a mutual plan that will develop the player to his max potential. This is a great quality especially with the "pitching studs" they get to forgo the draft and come to Vandy (because they only improve while there). I believe the results at Vandy speak for themselves.
03-31-2021 10:32 AM
Advertisement

mrbig Offline
Heisman

You can be a great high school or pro coach and completely fail as a college coach because high school and college coaches get to focus on developing the players they have, whereas college coaches also need to be able to identify talent and recruit the talent they identify. As such, under most circumstances (i.e. not Rice-specific), I think demonstrating success at some level of college coaching is almost a prerequisite for a college program in a P5 or more successful G5 program.

There are (of course) some caveats, especially when you look at a school like Rice specifically. Some of those caveats include hiring a former player who played pro ball, hiring a pro/high school coach who is committed to hiring assistants with a past history of successful talent identification and recruitment, etc.

Just my 2 cents.
03-31-2021 11:03 AM
Hambone10 Offline
Hooter

I Root For: My Kids

New Orleans BowlDonatorsThe Parliament Awards
When I graduated, Ben Agajanian was 'the kicking guru'... iirc, he trained the endejazas brothers as well as numerous others... you see an almost identical style from them... i summarize the most visible acts as walking back... using your hand to 'draw a line' to the target and then 'post' kick, to remain 'hopping' on the plant leg for an extended period with the kicking foot extended. You still see some guys do this today. This was not how I did it... I was very good at thinking 'in space' and having 'marking the hypotenuse' as opposed to making the 90 degree angle made much more sense to me.... and anyone that used him as a consultant wouldn't look at me. (The Cowboys at the time were interested, especially as I had done well in their own stadium... and Ben black-balled me)

As I was asked to train other kickers after graduating, I focused just as you say here on taking what people already did well and fine-tuning it as opposed to trying to make everyone use the same mechanics. Sure, there are some general concepts... but by the time you reach this level, you've already developed some serious muscle memory.

For me, it was about consistency of what you're doing and not about identical mechanics. Look at the variety in pitching mechanics at the top that you see.
03-31-2021 11:32 AM
GoodOwl Offline
The 1 Hoo Knocks

I Root For: New Horizons
(03-31-2021 11:32 AM)Hambone10 Wrote:  When I graduated, Ben Agajanian was 'the kicking guru'... iirc, he trained the endejazas brothers as well as numerous others... you see an almost identical style from them... i summarize the most visible acts as walking back... using your hand to 'draw a line' to the target and then 'post' kick, to remain 'hopping' on the plant leg for an extended period with the kicking foot extended. You still see some guys do this today. This was not how I did it... I was very good at thinking 'in space' and having 'marking the hypotenuse' as opposed to making the 90 degree angle made much more sense to me.... and anyone that used him as a consultant wouldn't look at me. (The Cowboys at the time were interested, especially as I had done well in their own stadium... and Ben black-balled me)

As I was asked to train other kickers after graduating, I focused just as you say here on taking what people already did well and fine-tuning it as opposed to trying to make everyone use the same mechanics. Sure, there are some general concepts... but by the time you reach this level, you've already developed some serious muscle memory.

For me, it was about consistency of what you're doing and not about identical mechanics. Look at the variety in pitching mechanics at the top that you see.

Great post on what good coaching should be. +3.
03-31-2021 07:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.