Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Designing a P4 (16 teams in each conference)
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
Exclamation Designing a P4 (16 teams in each conference)
I think college football might in this decade move to a P4 as opposed to a P5. On the other hand I think the idea of perfect symmetry in each conference, while desirable, is unrealistic. Of course at CSNBBS we've never let a silly thing called reality stop us before.

So my new challenge to you, design your own 4x16 conferences for FBS football. The new "College Football Playoff" will be the four champions only, no wild cards, no committee. You must be in one of these conferences to make the Playoff, that includes Notre Dame. Each conference will be required to have a conference championship game to determine its conference champion. Divisions are not required but permitted (quads, rotating or otherwise, may also be used). You are not required to stick with current P5 teams, promotions and relegations are permitted (at least one demotion is required).

Have fun with it!

Here's mine:

Big Ten:
Penn State, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Missouri

ACC:
Boston College, Syracuse, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, West Virginia, North Carolina, Duke, NC State, South Carolina, Clemson, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State, Miami

SEC:
Kentucky, Louisville, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Baylor

Pac 16:
UCLA, USC, California, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Nebraska, Texas Tech

As always, tried to keep as many in state teams together while trying to keep them somewhat geographically reasonable. Like any alignment in the professional sports, there are always teams that get screwed (draw your own conclusions as to which ones).

Note: I do not approve of the idea of limiting the CFP to 64 teams nor feel these are the 64 "top" teams, this is just an exercise.
(This post was last modified: 03-31-2021 06:32 AM by schmolik.)
03-31-2021 06:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
RE: Designing a P4 (16 teams in each conference)
I think I've posted this at least once somewhere else, but here's mine:

[Image: nU2q653.png]

I'm open to swapping USF for UCF. One works just as well as the other.

Also, Notre Dame is still independent, just like they prefer to be. 03-wink
03-31-2021 09:13 AM
Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
North: Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado and Utah

West: Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal-Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, Kansas and Kansas State

South: South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, Texas A&M, TCU and Oklahoma State

East: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Wake Forest, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, West Virginia and Notre Dame
03-31-2021 02:04 PM
schmolik Offline

(03-31-2021 02:04 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  North: Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado and Utah

West: Washington, Washington State, Oregon, Oregon State, Cal-Berkeley, Stanford, UCLA, USC, Arizona, Arizona State, Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma, Kansas and Kansas State

South: South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri, Arkansas, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, LSU, Texas A&M, TCU and Oklahoma State

East: Miami, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Wake Forest, North Carolina, NC State, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Boston College, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Louisville, West Virginia and Notre Dame

Was thinking of putting Texas and Oklahoma in the Pacific. Might be the best way to balance the conferences.

Why not swap Oklahoma State and Baylor (or Oklahoma and TCU) so that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are in the same conference?
03-31-2021 02:27 PM
Advertisement

Wahoowa84 Offline
All American

I Root For: UVa
(03-31-2021 02:27 PM)schmolik Wrote:  
(03-31-2021 02:04 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  North: Rutgers, Maryland, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado and Utah

Was thinking of putting Texas and Oklahoma in the Pacific. Might be the best way to balance the conferences.

Why not swap Oklahoma State and Baylor (or Oklahoma and TCU) so that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are in the same conference?

Without UT-Austin providing cover, not sure that any region is accepting two small private schools (Baylor and TCU).

That having been said, the change makes a lot of sense. Having the Sooners and Pokes together in the same region would be a positive. The West also needs both the Sooners and Longhorns to be considered in equal footing with the Southern and Northern regions.
03-31-2021 03:51 PM
schmolik Offline

(03-31-2021 03:51 PM)Wahoowa84 Wrote:  
(03-31-2021 02:27 PM)schmolik Wrote:  

Without UT-Austin providing cover, not sure that any region is accepting two small private schools (Baylor and TCU).

That having been said, the change makes a lot of sense. Having the Sooners and Pokes together in the same region would be a positive. The West also needs both the Sooners and Longhorns to be considered in equal footing with the Southern and Northern regions.

OK, then how about Texas Tech to the SEC?
03-31-2021 04:16 PM
schmolik Offline

Assuming you keep the entire Pac-12 intact, you need to move exactly four teams out there. That's probably the first step you would need to do.

ACC:
Boston College, Syracuse, Rutgers, Penn State, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Virginia, Virginia Tech, North Carolina, Duke, NC State, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Florida, Florida State, Miami

Big Ten:
Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Illinois, Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, Iowa State, Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State

SEC:
South Carolina, Clemson, West Virginia, Kentucky, Louisville, Tennessee, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Mississippi State, LSU, Arkansas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor

Pac 16:
UCLA, USC, California, Stanford, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Texas, Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
03-31-2021 05:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.