Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Noem opposes conservative values
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Noem opposes conservative values
https://spectator.org/kristi-noem-transg...ervatives/

"...Noem’s official stance was that she neither supported nor opposed the bill, but she signaled to a mau-mauing media that she didn’t care for it: “When you take public policy and try to fill parenting gaps with more government, you have to be very careful about the precedent you’re setting.”

Religious conservatives found her recent statement that she wants to “protect women sports while also showing empathy for youths struggling with what they understand to be their gender identity” quizzical. Supporters of the current bill say that the changes Noem has proposed to it wouldn’t protect women’s sports and represents nothing more than a capitulation to the PC commissars at the NCAA. (Noem wants the whole selection of the bill pertaining to collegiate sports axed.) Her unconvincing performance on Tucker Carlson’s show last week did little to alleviate this concern. She at once denied caving to the NCAA and admitted that she didn’t want to lose its business. “We’re a small state, Tucker,” she said...."
03-28-2021 10:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Noem opposes conservative values
The house and senate will quickly reject the "edits" tomorrow, and she has to sign or veto. Its the last day of the legislative session.
03-28-2021 10:07 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Miami
03-28-2021 10:22 AM
TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
I'd rather have an imperfect Noem than the alternative.

If the right eats up their young (Noem, Crenshaw) we will have fewer choices in 2024 and 2028.
03-28-2021 10:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2021 10:31 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  I'd rather have an imperfect Noem than the alternative.

If the right eats up their young (Noem, Crenshaw) we will have fewer choices in 2024 and 2028.

https://twitter.com/KristiNoem/status/13...1904907266

I LIKE YOU JUST THE WAY YOU ARE
03-28-2021 10:43 AM
Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
If wish I could understand the reason she has decided to die on this hill. Seems odd to me. That said, being on the wrong side on ONE issue hardly eliminates her classification as a “conservative”. That’s completely different than someone like Romney, who is almost never on the right side of a conservative issue when it really matters. Noem is fine—it’s the Romneys of the world that need to drummed out of Congress.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021 06:06 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-28-2021 11:38 AM
Advertisement

umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
When I heard her explanation for not signing she said the NCAA fight is not one SD can do alone. It would take a consortium of states to challenge it. As is, it would harm SD's colleges and universities.

She said she wanted to pass what they can now and challenge later. Her statement made it sound like there are other states willing to challenge.

The left took the approach of chipping away over time to get what they wanted. When they started they couldn't go all-or-nothing.

If she was sincere with her statement then I can understand the strategy.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021 11:56 AM by umbluegray.)
03-28-2021 11:55 AM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2021 11:38 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  If wish I could understand the reason she has decided to die on this hill. Seems odd to me. That said, being on the wrong side on ONE issue hardly eliminates her classification as a “conservative”. That’s completely different than someone like Romney I who is almost never on the right side of a conservative issue when it really matters. Noem is fine—it’s the Romneys of the world that need to drummed out of Congress.

https://twitter.com/nprpolitics/status/1...2791615491

REMEMBER THE ALAMO
03-28-2021 12:02 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
(03-28-2021 12:02 PM)green Wrote:  
(03-28-2021 11:38 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  If wish I could understand the reason she has decided to die on this hill. Seems odd to me. That said, being on the wrong side on ONE issue hardly eliminates her classification as a “conservative”. That’s completely different than someone like Romney I who is almost never on the right side of a conservative issue when it really matters. Noem is fine—it’s the Romneys of the world that need to drummed out of Congress.

REMEMBER THE ALAMO

Yep. A lot of schools aren't as wealthy as some of the "elite" schools and actually need NCAA $$$. It would be detrimental, if not suicidal, to end that source of funds.

But 30 or so states acting in harmony could force the NCAA to rethink.

If Alabama, Michigan, Texas, etc don't allow their schools to participate in NCAA activities and instead threaten to start a competing organization then the NCAA might have to listen.
03-28-2021 12:07 PM
olliebaba Online
Legend

I Root For: Christ
I was looking at this issue about men playing in womens' sports. At first I applauded that some governors were vetoing this EO. But, I say now, keep it. Let's let men play in womens' sports. This way the Liberals that have daughters in sports will cringe and cry that their daughters will be forced to compete with men.

In other words, "it serves them right for voting for idiots".
03-28-2021 12:52 PM
Bronco'14 Online
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
I like this part of the article:

"For years religious conservatives have been victims of cynical manipulation by the GOP establishment. The GOP wanted their votes but did nothing to protect their values. Recall the sham opposition to gay marriage that the aides to George W. Bush faked to win religious support in 2000 and 2004. It turned out later that many of those figures supported gay marriage. Ken Mehlman, the head of Bush’s 2004 reelection effort, ended up lobbying for passage of gay marriage in New York state. John McCain’s aides, such as Nicolle Wallace and Steve Schmidt, now appear on MSNBC to hawk socially liberal causes. A group of consultants attached to Mitt Romney’s 2012 presidential run filed an amicus brief urging the Supreme Court to support a constitutional right to gay marriage.

In light of this history, religious conservatives have every right to be suspicious of GOP leaders. Religious conservatives had hoped that Kristi Noem would buck the trend of abdications in the culture war. But she hasn’t. If she won’t even fight on the comparatively easy issue of opposing transgenderism in female sports, how can she be trusted on the more difficult issues that lie ahead?

Is transgenderism just one more front in the culture war that will fall not in spite of Republicans but because of them? The culture war is already one-sided enough without Republicans surrendering on this issue too. The media’s game is to convince everyone that the toppling of a taboo is “inevitable” and that resistance to its elimination is futile. Many GOP leaders succumb to this propaganda. This defeatism is all too familiar to religious conservatives, and they won’t soon forget that Kristi Noem has been infected by it."

Here's where we're ultimately gonna lose tho. We need populist reasons to oppose it, not just religous.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021 01:18 PM by Bronco'14.)
03-28-2021 01:17 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

She's knuckling under to corporate pressure and activist pressure. That is the slippery slope.

And this is a red line issue for me. Not the whole bill, but allowing biological boys to compete against biological girls as "girls" is just nonsense and its something people should take a stand on. As for college, she can't really buck the NCAA. But those females are adults and can stand up for themselves (if they are willing to take the pushback). The ability to compete and the privacy of high school girls is something she should be standing up for.
03-28-2021 01:48 PM
UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Tn, MS, and AR just recently signed this type of bill into law. That means you have 5 SEC schools on board. The NCAA is already in a precarious position with other issues. They wont get involved in this with most of the SEC already seeing the law in their states.

This has nothing to do with religious beliefs. It has everything to do with taking a giant dump on women and womens sports. If the NCAA wants to be the entity that sh*ts on women, well, that will be an interesting hill for them to die on. But they will die.
03-28-2021 02:29 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2021 10:07 AM)UofMstateU Wrote:  The house and senate will quickly reject the "edits" tomorrow, and she has to sign or veto. Its the last day of the legislative session.

https://twitter.com/govkristinoem/status...2656400385

AIN’T OVER TILL I SAY SO
03-28-2021 02:34 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I'm not enthused with her at all over Covid. She is like Cuomo bragging about how well she did when she has one of the worst death rates in the nation.

This is just another sign of her being a standard politician.
03-28-2021 05:50 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2021 05:50 PM)bullet Wrote:  I'm not enthused with her at all over Covid. She is like Cuomo bragging about how well she did when she has one of the worst death rates in the nation.

https://twitter.com/TheRadioTFI/status/1...0741870595

IN ABSOLUTE TERMS
03-28-2021 06:13 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston
(03-28-2021 12:02 PM)green Wrote:  

REMEMBER THE ALAMO

So---here is where Im at on this. South Dakota has little effect on the NCAA. Pass the law and apply it to HS athletics in S Dakota. THATS where she is governor and THOSE are the people who she is responsible for. The NCAA is a national organization and I dont see where the bill will make any difference there anyway. Instead, I'd like to see her have her state AG put together a lawsuit against the NCAA challenging the competitive, fairness, and safety aspects of transgenders competing in womens athletics. Thats how I'd handle it. Go on offense.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2021 06:17 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-28-2021 06:15 PM
MileHighBronco Offline
Legend

I Root For: Broncos
(03-28-2021 05:50 PM)bullet Wrote:  I'm not enthused with her at all over Covid. She is like Cuomo bragging about how well she did when she has one of the worst death rates in the nation.

So, not acting like some tin pot dictator and not resorting to lockdowns and business closures is a bad thing?

Give me a link showing S. Dakota has one of the worst death rates. I hadn't heard that from anybody except far lefties wanting to dump on a Governor that believes in letting people be responsible for their own life. Or would you prefer she dictate HOW you have to live so suit her own power lust?

As for the issue with boys playing girls sports, I'm hoping to see states band together and challenge this edict. Same goes for the NCAA. If they do not stand up to the Government on this the NCAA should go the way of the dinosaur. Remember Title IX?
03-28-2021 06:21 PM
green Offline
Hall of Famer

Quote:I met with lawyers and constitutional experts to better understand the authorities that I had – and those that I did not have. I asked business owners what the impact of various policy decisions would be on their livelihoods.

And then I made the decision that South Dakota would not shut down our state. I advised people to take common-sense precautions against this common enemy. But I did not order South Dakotans to shelter in place. I never mandated masks. And South Dakota was the only state in America to never order a single business or church to close. ...

We knew that we couldn’t stop the virus from spreading, so we took targeted action to curb the spread.

We focused on hospital capacity to take care of those who truly needed it, and we never exceeded that capacity. And today, South Dakota has one of the top-3 vaccination efforts in the country.

But today, I want to talk about the tragedies that South Dakota didn’t have.

Because we let South Dakota kids learn in the classroom, our children didn’t fall behind in their education like we’ve seen happen in so many states. Because we didn’t shut our state down, our businesses weathered the virus better than any state in the country. And because we balanced fighting the virus with maintaining social, economic, and mental health, South Dakota didn’t see an increase in suicide rates. ...

One year into our fight against COVID-19, South Dakota has some very promising items to report. We’re a leader in COVID vaccinations. And our state budget is in phenomenal shape, allowing us to make one-time investments that will set our state up for decades of success moving forward.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/covid-so...risti-noem

IMPECCABLE ATTENTION TO DETAIL
03-28-2021 06:45 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(03-28-2021 06:21 PM)MileHighBronco Wrote:  

So, not acting like some tin pot dictator and not resorting to lockdowns and business closures is a bad thing?

Give me a link showing S. Dakota has one of the worst death rates. I hadn't heard that from anybody except far lefties wanting to dump on a Governor that believes in letting people be responsible for their own life. Or would you prefer she dictate HOW you have to live so suit her own power lust?

As for the issue with boys playing girls sports, I'm hoping to see states band together and challenge this edict. Same goes for the NCAA. If they do not stand up to the Government on this the NCAA should go the way of the dinosaur. Remember Title IX?

From RealClearPolitics 3/17 deaths per million-South Dakota is #8. By contrast, Florida is #27 at 1,515.

New Jersey 2,707
New York 2,542
Rhode Island 2,443
Massachusetts 2,408
Mississippi 2,331
Arizona 2,279
Connecticut 2,190
South Dakota 2,165

South Dakota was at 183/million on September 13. Only 10 states have had as many deaths cumulative as South Dakota has had in the last 6 months.

(if you want to see as of March 28 go to the website's front page and scroll down till you hit the Covid deaths.)
03-28-2021 07:00 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.