Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Tom Schad
Bookmark and Share
tigers18 Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Memphis
Tom Schad
He is the last decent beat writer we have had in either sport. I checked Evan Barnes twitter for football news today and he's bitching about Sister Jean's image being used to promote the NCAA tourney. What a joke.Media coverage aint what it used to be.
03-26-2021 01:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

RE: Tom Schad
I miss Tom he was awesome
03-26-2021 01:39 PM
TGTiger Offline
1st String

I Root For: memphis
Always enjoyed his writing and I didn’t realize how good he was until he was gone.
03-26-2021 01:44 PM
tcountytigerfan Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-26-2021 01:01 PM)tigers18 Wrote:  He is the last decent beat writer we have had in either sport. I checked Evan Barnes twitter for football news today and he's bitching about Sister Jean's image being used to promote the NCAA tourney. What a joke.Media coverage aint what it used to be.

Barnes is an absolute joke and the reason I finally canceled my subscription to the CA. Lazy and unimaginative writing, sided with the “official” Liberty Bowl ticket count debacle (when the scanners didn’t work and they were easily under reporting attendance by 25%), no added value insight into the program, etc.

There’s a reason Schad has an upward trajectory - he put in the work, and didn’t just sit on Twitter all day chatting about music. Just sayin’
03-26-2021 01:53 PM
macgar32 Offline
Legend

(03-26-2021 01:53 PM)tcountytigerfan Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 01:01 PM)tigers18 Wrote:  He is the last decent beat writer we have had in either sport. I checked Evan Barnes twitter for football news today and he's bitching about Sister Jean's image being used to promote the NCAA tourney. What a joke.Media coverage aint what it used to be.

Barnes is an absolute joke and the reason I finally canceled my subscription to the CA. Lazy and unimaginative writing, sided with the “official” Liberty Bowl ticket count debacle (when the scanners didn’t work and they were easily under reporting attendance by 25%), no added value insight into the program, etc.

There’s a reason Schad has an upward trajectory - he put in the work, and didn’t just sit on Twitter all day chatting about music. Just sayin’

I am sure back in the day they had more funding...

Less money less results.
03-26-2021 02:12 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
good grief, Sister Jean is a 101 year old human being still interested in BB, coherent and still attending games.. WTF is wrong with that.
Who cares what god gods goddesses she prays to. Or even if she didn't pray....this human being is amazing
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2021 02:23 PM by snowtiger.)
03-26-2021 02:20 PM
Advertisement

BERT56 Online
Resident Slappy

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
Access has been extremely limited regarding football. That said, I never rely on the CA for sports news anymore. Christian Fowler and Jonah Jordan are way more in the know.
03-26-2021 02:23 PM
Tigerx3 Online
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2021 02:20 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  good grief, Sister Jean is a 101 year old human being still interested in BB, coherent and still attending games.. WTF is wrong with that.
Who cares what god gods goddesses she prays to. Or even if she didn't pray....this human being is amazing

True, but shouldn't their be a limit on how much we talk about 103 year old nun in the sports world? And maybe a little bit more attention to the reason those guys are in Memphis earning a paycheck.

I have learned to appreciate George Lapides, God rest his soul, now that sports radio personalities have virtually no historical context to the meaning of sports to city, does no investigative work, and mostly completely ignores recruiting until somebody else scoops the story.

The CA has USA Today at the top and sometimes pages have the Jackson Sun across the top and more than half the stories are SEC and UT, Ole Miss, Bama, and MS State have equal billing for space. And everything is two days old. And yes I know a little about on-line subscriptions, duh.

Thank goodness we get something out of the Daily Memphian

There was a day we had three sports radio stations that at least tried to be Memphis centric without 10 in a row, music play lists, ranting and arguing about every little non sports related thing and selling the latest Vodka.

I don't expect the sports community to be only about Memphis Tigers but it should be mostly about us as the Home Town University/Team. I don't expect the sports community to only do sports stories but it should be mostly about sports.

I'm paying extra now for the Memphis Business Journal to even get new relevant and well researched business news for Memphis.

I'm done. You can have the site soap box back.
03-26-2021 03:03 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(03-26-2021 03:03 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 02:20 PM)snowtiger Wrote:  good grief, Sister Jean is a 101 year old human being still interested in BB, coherent and still attending games.. WTF is wrong with that.

True, but shouldn't their be a limit on how much we talk about 103 year old nun in the sports world? And maybe a little bit more attention to the reason those guys are in Memphis earning a paycheck.

I have learned to appreciate George Lapides, God rest his soul, now that sports radio personalities have virtually no historical context to the meaning of sports to city, does no investigative work, and mostly completely ignores recruiting until somebody else scoops the story.

The CA has USA Today at the top and sometimes pages have the Jackson Sun across the top and more than half the stories are SEC and UT, Ole Miss, Bama, and MS State have equal billing for space. And everything is two days old. And yes I know a little about on-line subscriptions, duh.

Thank goodness we get something out of the Daily Memphian

There was a day we had three sports radio stations that at least tried to be Memphis centric without 10 in a row, music play lists, ranting and arguing about every little non sports related thing and selling the latest Vodka.

I don't expect the sports community to be only about Memphis Tigers but it should be mostly about us as the Home Town University/Team. I don't expect the sports community to only do sports stories but it should be mostly about sports.

I'm paying extra now for the Memphis Business Journal to even get new relevant and well researched business news for Memphis.

I'm done. You can have the site soap box back.

thank you. I'll be brief. Truthfully I have 0 say about Memphis Media or any media. I don't listen to talk radio, don't read the FB sports pages and don't go on Twitter, instagram etc... at all anymore, unless someone links it.. Plus CA, DM, new york times etc.... all cancelled.

Can't figure out why i used to care and people still care so much what any media pundit or news person says or thinks about Memphis or the Tigers. They don't care what we think. They just want our attention. lol

edit: As for your question that I just saw: why not! you can be the one who limits how much time should be spent on Sister Jean or anything that you and others don't like. It is irrelevant to me.

Ok..yielding the soap box back to you.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2021 03:29 PM by snowtiger.)
03-26-2021 03:16 PM
Unionman76 Online
Heisman

My wife and I go to the games

We get our information first hand

We see it right before our eyes , no filter or agenda
03-26-2021 03:28 PM
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

(03-26-2021 03:28 PM)Unionman76 Wrote:  My wife and I go to the games

We get our information first hand

We see it right before our eyes , no filter or agenda

You and your wife are my heroes! for real. Real attendees are the best source of news ever.
03-26-2021 03:30 PM
Advertisement

danny1 Offline
All American

The Commercial Appeal “Sports Section” is laughable. All the USA Today owned newspapers use the same template to write stories after college games and title the articles “5 Things We Learned.” It is such a lazy excuse for reporting/journalism. I will say that The Daily Memphian, at least, has
some substance and interesting info in its sports articles and I have always thought that Jeff Caulkins is a good columnist.
(This post was last modified: 03-26-2021 04:39 PM by danny1.)
03-26-2021 04:28 PM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM

He’s probably mad about Oral Roberts
03-26-2021 04:28 PM
BERT56 Online
Resident Slappy

I Root For: MEMPHIS TIGERS
(03-26-2021 04:28 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

Gotta question the intelligence of a man that gets mad about Oral.
03-26-2021 11:53 PM
UOFMGLENN Offline
The Grand Wazoo

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
(03-26-2021 11:53 PM)BERT56 Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 04:28 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  

Well that is funny
03-27-2021 01:12 AM
chrisd11 Offline
I came to party!!

I Root For: short skirts
Evan Barnes is a BLM type radical racist.

POS
03-27-2021 02:04 AM
Advertisement

UMTiger02 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tigers & Uggla
Evan Barnes is a joke.
03-27-2021 10:36 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Barnes seems lazy.
And lazy folks in all walks of life have been more than content to exploit the pandemic to avoid doing quality work.
03-27-2021 11:38 PM
Strat57 Offline
Rock & Roll Shaman

CrappiesMemphis Hall of Fame
(03-26-2021 11:53 PM)BERT56 Wrote:  
(03-26-2021 04:28 PM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  [quote='tigers18' pid='17350271' dateline='1616781690']
He is the last decent beat writer we have had in either sport. I checked Evan Barnes twitter for football news today and he's bitching about Sister Jean's image being used to promote the NCAA tourney. What a joke.Media coverage aint what it used to be.

[/quote:

04-bow04-bow04-bow04-bow
03-28-2021 01:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(03-26-2021 04:28 PM)danny1 Wrote:  

The Commercial Appeal “Sports Section” is laughable. All the USA Today owned newspapers use the same template to write stories after college games and title the articles “5 Things We Learned.” It is such a lazy excuse for reporting/journalism. I will say that The Daily Memphian, at least, has
some substance and interesting info in its sports articles and I have always thought that Jeff Caulkins is a good columnist.

The daily memphian is no better as far as the beat goes both papers have adapted to just letting Christian Fowler break news from the 247 team and then just steal it
03-29-2021 06:36 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.