Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
03-25-2021 08:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Lottie on TV Now
The best season in Flagler College men’s basketball history came to an end on Thursday night.

The Saints never led and couldn’t slow down heavyweight Northwest Missouri State in a 77-46 loss in the NCAA Division II national semifinals. Third-seeded Flagler (18-3) had never been to the national tournament since it completed its full move from the NAIA to Division II in 2009.

The Saints were a provisional member in NCAA Division II beginning in 2006, but didn’t become a full-fledged member until the summer of 2009 and weren’t eligible for the national tournament until then. Flagler played in three straight NAIA Division II national tournaments, but never went past the second round.

The loss ended a 16-game winning streak but sends Flagler into a very different looking offseason.

The Saints put to rest a streak off 12 consecutive losing seasons and did so in emphatic fashion. And as one of the top four teams in Division II, coach Chad Warner and the Saints have a much stronger recruiting sales pitch than just going to school in the nation’s oldest city.

The Bearcats, seeded No. 2 in the tournament, have won Division II national championships in 2017 and ’19, and will play for their third on Saturday afternoon against top-seeded West Texas A&M.

All-American guard Jaizec Lottie led the Saints with 15 points.

The Saints saw things slip away midway through the opening half. A 3-pointer from Chase Fiddler trimmed Flagler’s deficit to 17-14, but the Bearcats responded with a flurry.

Northwest Missouri went on a blitz, outscoring the Saints 24-2 over the next 6 minutes, 17 seconds and putting the game out of reach.

A night earlier, Flagler came back from an 11-point second-half deficit and edged Truman State 70-69. Chris Metzger hit a pair of free throws with 10 seconds to play to put the Saints in front and Flagler had a defensive stop on the ensuing Truman possession to seal the victory.

The Saints battled every second of that game but didn’t have enough juice left to hang with the Bearcats. The closest Flagler would get in the game came on a Fiddler trey with 14:44 left in the first half to slice the deficit to 10-9. The Saints struggled again with the 3-ball, hitting just 5 of 21 shots from behind the arc.
03-25-2021 11:24 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – Jaizec Lottie added another first to Flagler College’s incredible basketball season.

The Saints’ senior guard was named to the National Association of Basketball Coaches Division II All-American Team on Tuesday morning. He is the first men’s basketball player to earn NABC All-American honors in program history.
03-25-2021 11:25 PM
Advertisement

RBL Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Little Rock
Lottie on TV Now
Sure could have used him this season.

03-26-2021 07:21 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-26-2021 07:21 AM)RBL Wrote:  Sure could have used him this season.

That’s an understatement.
03-26-2021 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.