Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Alabama, Georgia and Paying Recruits?
BePcr07 Online
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
Alabama, Georgia and Paying Recruits?
Anyone else see this article on ESPN? How far back does this go? Does Alabama “lose” any titles?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ll-program
03-23-2021 08:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Big Frog II Offline
1st String

I Root For: TCU
RE: Alabama, Georgia and Paying Recruits?
Does the sun come up in the east?
03-23-2021 08:34 AM
BePcr07 Online
All American

(03-23-2021 08:34 AM)Big Frog II Wrote:  Does the sun come up in the east?

LOL - I’m not saying this is new news, just that there’s an article about with (allegedly) recordings. Possibly damning.
03-23-2021 08:36 AM
ccd494 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Maine
The recordings are of Rush Propst, who has zero credibility.
03-23-2021 08:42 AM
BePcr07 Online
All American

(03-23-2021 08:42 AM)ccd494 Wrote:  The recordings are of Rush Propst, who has zero credibility.

I have no knowledge of Rush Propst but that may be true. It doesn’t speak to whether his statements are true, just whether people believe them coming from him.
03-23-2021 09:24 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(03-23-2021 08:33 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  Anyone else see this article on ESPN? How far back does this go? Does Alabama “lose” any titles?

Alabama and Georgia don't need to pay recruits. Who is going to say to Alabama "well, I'm thinking about going to Arkansas, but if you pay me then I might come to Alabama"?

One recent recruit of Saban's said that when he was on his visit to Alabama and met Saban in his office, one of the first questions Saban asked was "well, why wouldn't you want to come to Alabama"?

If you think about it, that's a hard question for a recruit to answer. It's like asking me "we, why wouldn't you want to have sex with Kate Upton"?
03-23-2021 09:30 AM
ccd494 Offline
1st String

(03-23-2021 09:24 AM)BePcr07 Wrote:  
(03-23-2021 08:42 AM)ccd494 Wrote:  The recordings are of Rush Propst, who has zero credibility.

I have no knowledge of Rush Propst but that may be true. It doesn’t speak to whether his statements are true, just whether people believe them coming from him.

No one believes anything coming from him. His reputation is tarnished to the point that he's a laughingstock.

At Hoover High, Alabama:

-He was accused of changing players' grades by his athletic director.
-He got his buddy, the principal, to fire the athletic director.
-A federal judge was brought in to investigate the grading issue.
-The principal was fired, largely for Propst's issues.
-On his way out the door, the principal disclosed that Propst had a secret second family a few towns over, AND accused him of having affairs with multiple teachers and administrators at the high school.
-Was, sort of, absolved of the grade changing when it turned out it was actually an assistant principal who was behind it. Of course, she was having an affair with Propst.
-Forfeited multiple games for playing an ineligible player who he knew was ineligible.
-Resigned under pressure.

At Colquitt High, Georgia:

-Was initially suspended for one year for headbutting a player, later reduced to a reprimand on appeal.
-Provided pills of some sort to students and players.
-Had a tax delinquency of almost $500,000 to the IRS and State.
-Conducted his own "interview" with a candidate to be principal of the high school against department regulations.
-Had his team banned from staying in hotels the night before home games due to "severe behavior problems."
-When informed of that decision, threatened the superintendent of schools.
-Missed large amounts of school days (as a teacher) without telling anyone.
-Traveled to the SEC championship game as a spectator, didn't pay his hotel bill, and tried to get the school to pay for it.
-Forced his players to not play other sports.
-Lost control of his team and locker room after a loss to the point that sheriff's deputies had to restore order.
-Was fired after a lengthy investigation.

And now he has similar shady crap happening at Valdosta.
(This post was last modified: 03-23-2021 09:52 AM by ccd494.)
03-23-2021 09:50 AM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(03-23-2021 09:30 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Alabama and Georgia don't need to pay recruits.

That's like saying Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Arizona, etc. don't need to have bagmen pay basketball recruits, or like saying that Roy Williams doesn't need his players to have a schedule of fake classes in order to win 20 games a year.

Saying they don't "need" it doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't happen.
03-23-2021 11:21 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(03-23-2021 11:21 AM)Wedge Wrote:  
(03-23-2021 09:30 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Alabama and Georgia don't need to pay recruits.

True, but wake me up when there's proof it happened. Until then, I'll tend to believe they aren't dumb enough to pay for things they can get for free.
03-23-2021 11:32 AM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(03-23-2021 11:32 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(03-23-2021 11:21 AM)Wedge Wrote:  

True, but wake me up when there's proof it happened. Until then, I'll tend to believe they aren't dumb enough to pay for things they can get for free.

It's true that some random dude talking is not enough to prove anything, so yes, wait for proof of these specific allegations.

But paying athletes, breaking NCAA rules, whatever, is so commonplace that it would be shocking if any elite program was completely clean.

Even non-elite programs in obscure college sports. My favorite example of that is the Boise State women's tennis coach who was busted about 10 years ago when a former assistant blew the whistle -- there were so many rules violations ranging from ticky-tack to outrageous. 99.999% of college sports fans don't know anything about college women's tennis, 99.999% of Boise State football fans don't even know the school has a women's tennis team. There was no pressure on this coach whatsoever, but he broke every rule he could anyway.

Coaches in high-profile sports at high-profile programs, with all the attention and all the pressure, and seven-figure incomes to boot, are going to go after every advantage they can get. Some of them, more aggressively than others.
03-23-2021 11:50 AM
3BNole Online
2nd String

I Root For: Florida State
I’ve personally seen a bagman at a Colquitt County game, although it wasn’t for a player on Colquitt County and it wasn’t for Alabama or Georgia.
03-23-2021 12:05 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(03-23-2021 09:50 AM)ccd494 Wrote:  

No one believes anything coming from him. His reputation is tarnished to the point that he's a laughingstock.

At Hoover High, Alabama:

-On his way out the door, the principal disclosed that Propst had a secret second family a few towns over, AND accused him of having affairs with multiple teachers and administrators at the high school.
-Was, sort of, absolved of the grade changing when it turned out it was actually an assistant principal who was behind it. Of course, she was having an affair with Propst.
-Forfeited multiple games for playing an ineligible player who he knew was ineligible.

-Was initially suspended for one year for headbutting a player, later reduced to a reprimand on appeal.
-Conducted his own "interview" with a candidate to be principal of the high school against department regulations.
-Had his team banned from staying in hotels the night before home games due to "severe behavior problems."
-Traveled to the SEC championship game as a spectator, didn't pay his hotel bill, and tried to get the school to pay for it.
-Lost control of his team and locker room after a loss to the point that sheriff's deputies had to restore order.

The only thing I actually agree with Propst on is the banning his players from hotels the night before the home game. It's a home game... his players should be at their family's homes, nigh before and of the game too, IMO!!! There are only four possible reasons why they would even be at hotel the night before the home game: an one night stand with a girl, getting $$'s from boosters that they should not be getting, illegal activity, or (and this is a longshot) a legit family reason to be at a hotel and not at home (like flea bombing the house or fumigating it).

Everything else is some very shady business.
03-24-2021 12:57 PM
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(03-23-2021 12:05 PM)3BNole Wrote:  I’ve personally seen a bagman at a Colquitt County game, although it wasn’t for a player on Colquitt County and it wasn’t for Alabama or Georgia.

Did you report it to the school ??? I would have, regardless if he was affiliated with my school or not. What the school chooses to do with that information is up to them though.
(This post was last modified: 03-24-2021 01:09 PM by DawgNBama.)
03-24-2021 01:08 PM
Advertisement

ccd494 Offline
1st String

(03-24-2021 12:57 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(03-23-2021 09:50 AM)ccd494 Wrote:  

At Hoover High, Alabama:

The only thing I actually agree with Propst on is the banning his players from hotels the night before the home game. It's a home game... his players should be at their family's homes, nigh before and of the game too, IMO!!! There are only four possible reasons why they would even be at hotel the night before the home game: an one night stand with a girl, getting $$'s from boosters that they should not be getting, illegal activity, or (and this is a longshot) a legit family reason to be at a hotel and not at home (like flea bombing the house or fumigating it).

Everything else is some very shady business.

I worded that poorly. He demanded the kids stay in the hotel. The kids were then out of control and his team was banned. The superintendent said no more hotel stays. Propst was pissed.
03-24-2021 06:49 PM
Statefan Offline
Banned

I Root For: .
If you ain't paying you ain't trying.
03-24-2021 06:52 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(03-24-2021 06:52 PM)Statefan Wrote:  If you ain't paying you ain't trying.

The question mark subject line is "Alabama, Georgia Caught Paying Recruits?", and it doesn't really seem like they've been caught.

I would be shocked if Alabama was caught ... they are a well oiled machine in all other matters, it would be surprising if they were not competent in those matters as well.
03-24-2021 10:31 PM
Thegoldstandard Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Has anyone made a "strong assed offer"??
03-24-2021 10:35 PM
Advertisement

3BNole Online
2nd String

(03-24-2021 01:08 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  
(03-23-2021 12:05 PM)3BNole Wrote:  I’ve personally seen a bagman at a Colquitt County game, although it wasn’t for a player on Colquitt County and it wasn’t for Alabama or Georgia.

Did you report it to the school ??? I would have, regardless if he was affiliated with my school or not. What the school chooses to do with that information is up to them though.

With regards to the high school game, I was just there as a neutral fan (I go to 30-50 football games a year, mostly high school primarily in the north Florida/South Georgia/southeast Alabama region) so I didn’t really feel led to do anything. As for the college team that was obviously recruiting the player, I just assume all schools do it, so once again, I’m not going to create any problems (especially for the player and his family). I don’t like that it happens, but it does and it’s common. There’s a lot of talent in this area so I see and hear about things like that a lot. As for the college bagman I saw, I won’t name the specific school but I will say that it was an SEC team that is not a rival of FSU’s and was not Alabama or Georgia.
03-24-2021 10:44 PM
3BNole Online
2nd String

I almost forgot the funniest part though, the actual story...! So like I said, the game was at Colquitt and they were playing another powerhouse team early in the season. (This is a couple of years ago.) It’s still August or early September so it’s quite hot, easily in the 90’s. I’m sitting on the visitor’s side and there’s this guy that comes and sits in the row in front of me. He immediately caught my attention because he was literally wearing a heavy trench coat jacket in the crazy heat. (I swear I couldn’t make this up.) Anyways, a couple minutes into the game the man stands up and pulls out a letter envelope from his coat which was filled with something which seemed to me to be cash. He then walks up 3-4 rows behind me to the small visiting press box. A few minutes later he returns to his seat with the trench coat off. At this point I could see that he had a nice shirt for a university which is not located anywhere near the area. He remained in his seat for about a minute and then left the game halfway through the first quarter. It was so odd, I had my suspicions right away and as I talked with the team’s fans I learned that their star RB was committed to the same school. I asked where his parents were and learned that his father was in the press box behind me. To this day I still laugh about it, mainly how conspicuous and ridiculous the whole thing was. I never did follow up to see if he actually ended up at that school and for the life of me it’s been at least 4-5 years ago and I can’t even remember who the team was.
03-24-2021 10:55 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
A bagman is completely incompetent if he's wearing his school logo while making a dropoff.
03-25-2021 12:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.