Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Univ of Memphis Medical School
Bookmark and Share
Tigerx3 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Univ of Memphis Medical School
Not in a traditional sense but President Rudd has said he is moving forward with a partnership that includes Meharry, Methodist and Church Health that establish a branch campus where Medical Students will live, study and work throughout the entire program to graduation. In his words this will be the most impactful thing for the city of Memphis for many years. see 14:25

https://sports56whbq.com/shows/sports-56...-middays-4

I wasn't sure what the partnership would look like but it has the potential to be something special. It may also cause me to eat my words because I am on record saying we will never have a medical school. Do I get off on a technicality?

R1 and a Medical School in one year. That's a pretty good goodbye gift.
03-19-2021 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ImaTiger Online
We fight like Tigers!

I Root For: I am a 901Tiger
RE: Univ of Memphis Medical School
We all need to get behind this.

This has a larger impact on us than any 5* recruit.

We all should ask, how can we help. So how can I help?
03-19-2021 04:47 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
does this mean UT Med School is going away?

My Dad went there, taught there and it is a highly respected school, based in MEMPHIS
03-19-2021 04:58 PM
ImaTiger Online
We fight like Tigers!

I Root For: I am a 901Tiger
(03-19-2021 04:58 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  does this mean UT Med School is going away?

My Dad went there, taught there and it is a highly respected school, based in MEMPHIS

All respect for your father. Appreciation for him, his art, skill and all he does/did for our community.

The reason that school doesn't have the word "Memphis" in it; is buried in racial, economic, political, and stupid reasons that are 200 year old and should be behind us. Someday it will drift to where by right and for the community that supports it and nurtures it and is it so it will be called...

Call it Memphis Medical and all will be right.
03-19-2021 05:10 PM
k2tigers Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
OK, sounds good....didn't mean to start somethin but just curious. Totally agree with you....

At least he moved in the early 60's, otherwise, I may be still living in Iowa
03-19-2021 05:19 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

Thanks for the link. Even if it was just a small amount it was nice to hear more about it. I don't remember seeing the news release when it first came out. I saw it a few weeks ago when I was looking up stuff about R1 status. Even if it doesn't lead to a better conference, the school and city should benefit from this.
03-19-2021 09:43 PM
Advertisement

BIGDTiger Offline
AKA The Big Shizzle

I Root For: Me
(03-19-2021 05:10 PM)ImaTiger Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 04:58 PM)k2tigers Wrote:  does this mean UT Med School is going away?

All respect for your father. Appreciation for him, his art, skill and all he does/did for our community.

The reason that school doesn't have the word "Memphis" in it; is buried in racial, economic, political, and stupid reasons that are 200 year old and should be behind us. Someday it will drift to where by right and for the community that supports it and nurtures it and is it so it will be called...

If there is ever a city that deserves to play the race card it’s Memphis. I’ve lived in all 3 sections of Tennessee and the reason the rest of our state hates us has everything to do with racial undertones.
03-20-2021 07:31 AM
cmt Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-20-2021 07:31 AM)BIGDTiger Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 05:10 PM)ImaTiger Wrote:  

If there is ever a city that deserves to play the race card it’s Memphis. I’ve lived in all 3 sections of Tennessee and the reason the rest of our state hates us has everything to do with racial undertones.

They aren't undertones.
03-20-2021 08:11 AM
roachman48 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I have a degree from 'Memphis State Univ'. I have a DDS (dental) degree from 'Univ of Tennessee.' Those are the two actual university names on the two degrees. However, I always refer to my dental alma mater as 'UT Memphis'. I claim to have no orange blood. I hate the vols and their ignorant redneck fans. My heart belongs to the Memphis Tigers. It always will.

As you may guess, I never liked being a student in the UT system. People would tell me I owed allegiance to the Vols. I would argue the tigers were the home team for city of Memphis and the vols were the home team in a stadium 500 miles away from memphis. At that time, I had lived my entire life in Memphis.

I LOVE the sound and thought of 'Univ. of Memphis Medical School.' However, my initial reaction is concern. Medical, Dental schools etc. need a large patient base. The city of Memphis provides a good patient base for the UT Medical school etc. I do not see where this patient base would be large enough to support two medical school systems. Now, I admit that I know zero specifics about the plans for this new medical school. I am curious to learn more.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2021 09:49 AM by roachman48.)
03-20-2021 09:48 AM
DallasTiger Offline
Hall of Famer

Here is Dallas, UT Southwestern is actually a university (Medical School) and a hospital. I have a friend whose son is a doctor in Arlington, TX and she has told us many times that the best medical care we can ever get in this area is at UT Southwestern in Dallas. This is because it is a "teaching hospital". When we decided to find a different urologist, we looked at UT Southwestern and contacted the head of their Urology Dept since we figured he was teaching doctors the latest medical information and that was what we wanted. Luckily, he took me as a patient and since this is a state hospital they took Medicare. If the U of M can work up something similar....where UM Medical is a 'teaching hospital" people in Memphis will have something special.
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2021 10:18 AM by DallasTiger.)
03-20-2021 10:16 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Tigerx3 Online
Hall of Famer

(03-19-2021 09:43 PM)Alanda Wrote:  Thanks for the link. Even if it was just a small amount it was nice to hear more about it. I don't remember seeing the news release when it first came out. I saw it a few weeks ago when I was looking up stuff about R1 status. Even if it doesn't lead to a better conference, the school and city should benefit from this.

Not much was said before the Rudd interview I referenced. UT won’t be impacted. This is an usual partnership but can be a great opportunity for Memphis.
03-20-2021 02:01 PM
Advertisement

eastcoastDave Offline
1st String

I Root For: Memphis, ODU
(03-20-2021 09:48 AM)roachman48 Wrote:  I have a degree from 'Memphis State Univ'. I have a DDS (dental) degree from 'Univ of Tennessee.' Those are the two actual university names on the two degrees. However, I always refer to my dental alma mater as 'UT Memphis'. I claim to have no orange blood. I hate the vols and their ignorant redneck fans. My heart belongs to the Memphis Tigers. It always will.

As you may guess, I never liked being a student in the UT system. People would tell me I owed allegiance to the Vols. I would argue the tigers were the home team for city of Memphis and the vols were the home team in a stadium 500 miles away from memphis. At that time, I had lived my entire life in Memphis.

I LOVE the sound and thought of 'Univ. of Memphis Medical School.' However, my initial reaction is concern. Medical, Dental schools etc. need a large patient base. The city of Memphis provides a good patient base for the UT Medical school etc. I do not see where this patient base would be large enough to support two medical school systems. Now, I admit that I know zero specifics about the plans for this new medical school. I am curious to learn more.

Have you ever driven through Nashville, home to Vandy Medical School and Meherry Medical school.
03-20-2021 02:07 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
(03-19-2021 04:00 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  Not in a traditional sense but President Rudd has said he is moving forward with a partnership that includes Meharry, Methodist and Church Health that establish a branch campus where Medical Students will live, study and work throughout the entire program to graduation. In his words this will be the most impactful thing for the city of Memphis for many years. see 14:25

I wasn't sure what the partnership would look like but it has the potential to be something special. It may also cause me to eat my words because I am on record saying we will never have a medical school. Do I get off on a technicality?

Sounds like total horseshite. Weve had an academic partnership with UT Memphis Medicsl for years. The skids were always greased for Memphis State pre med majors to go to UT Memphis for med school.

This is what you get when you listen to a sports show for acsdemics.

Long on promises, high on debt, low on return .

No. The Univ of Memphis will not have a med school
03-20-2021 06:36 PM
tigeriker Offline
Water Engineer

(03-20-2021 06:36 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(03-19-2021 04:00 PM)Tigerx3 Wrote:  Not in a traditional sense but President Rudd has said he is moving forward with a partnership that includes Meharry, Methodist and Church Health that establish a branch campus where Medical Students will live, study and work throughout the entire program to graduation. In his words this will be the most impactful thing for the city of Memphis for many years. see 14:25

Sounds like total horseshite. Weve had an academic partnership with UT Memphis Medicsl for years. The skids were always greased for Memphis State pre med majors to go to UT Memphis for med school.

As a graduate of both the University of Memphis and UT Health Science Center College of Medicine I can tell you that I perceived no partnership between the two institutions. Additionally the skids were by no means greased for myself or the very few U of M graduates in my class. I'm not sure why you would think that would be the case.

I am not quite sure how the partnership between Meharry, Methodist, et. al. would be set up but I don't know if it would necessarily hurt the university.

I am told frequently, us a graduate from UT that I somehow owe them a debt of gratitude. I actually take great pleasure in telling their fundraising department "no" on an annual basis. Until I pass from this earth any and all contributions I make to a University will be to the University of Memphis.
03-20-2021 07:31 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(03-20-2021 07:31 PM)tigeriker Wrote:  

As a graduate of both the University of Memphis and UT Health Science Center College of Medicine I can tell you that I perceived no partnership between the two institutions. Additionally the skids were by no means greased for myself or the very few U of M graduates in my class. I'm not sure why you would think that would be the case.

I am not quite sure how the partnership between Meharry, Methodist, et. al. would be set up but I don't know if it would necessarily hurt the university.

I am told frequently, us a graduate from UT that I somehow owe them a debt of gratitude. I actually take great pleasure in telling their fundraising department "no" on an annual basis. Until I pass from this earth any and all contributions I make to a University will be to the University of Memphis.

Because I know many doctors that graduated from Memphis State that were fast tracked into UT med.

Maybe its you. I can't explain why you feel the way you do. If you recieved a scholarship maybe you should be thankful. I really dont care. UM will not have a med school. ETSU does though. Compare Meharry's ranking to ETSU. I mean seriously, why bother when there is a Med School in Memphis. This isnt about rah rah shite

Seems stupid, but what's new. Whatever.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2021 08:20 PM by shere khan.)
03-20-2021 08:08 PM
former guest Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers!

Thanks for your perspective. I hope this happens and benefits the U of M far into the future, to the chagrin of the naysayers that troll here....
03-20-2021 08:21 PM
Advertisement

tigeriker Offline
Water Engineer

(03-20-2021 08:08 PM)shere khan Wrote:  

Because I have know many doctors that graduated from Memphis State that were fast tracked into UT med.

Maybe its you. I can't explain why you feel the way you do. If you recieved a scholarship maybe you should be thankful. I really dont care. UM will not have a med school. ETSU does though. Compare Meharry's ranking to ETSU. I mean seriously, why bother when there is a Med School in Memphis. This isnt about rah rah shite

07-coffee3

Not a rah rah post just my personal perception. I earned the presidential scholarship from the U of M. I worked hard at the U of M, graduated with a 3.987 GPA, had an excellent MCAT. Borrowed money every year (student loans) of med school. Just paid it back. Agree with you that the reputation of Meharry is not on par with UT but I'm not sure if the affiliation would be harmful in any way, I guess it is better than nothing.
03-20-2021 08:27 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

(03-20-2021 08:27 PM)tigeriker Wrote:  

Because I have know many doctors that graduated from Memphis State that were fast tracked into UT med.

07-coffee3

Not a rah rah post just my personal perception. I earned the presidential scholarship from the U of M. I worked hard at the U of M, graduated with a 3.987 GPA, had an excellent MCAT. Borrowed money every year (student loans) of med school. Just paid it back. Agree with you that the reputation of Meharry is not on par with UT but I'm not sure if the affiliation would be harmful in any way, I guess it is better than nothing.

It's better than a Carribean med school, I suppose. I just think it would be smarter to partner with UT Med. I'm not sure why the U would would partner with them when there is a state funded med school in town.

I'm sure you are a great doctor. 04-cheers Congrats

I'm sure my opinion will piss someone off. I seem to be good at that lately

Just be glad the UT med school doesnt have a football team. I'm pretty sure they lead the series against Memphis and beat Memphis 58-0 when they did.

Lol
(This post was last modified: 03-20-2021 09:28 PM by shere khan.)
03-20-2021 08:33 PM
tigeriker Offline
Water Engineer

(03-20-2021 08:33 PM)shere khan Wrote:  
(03-20-2021 08:27 PM)tigeriker Wrote:  
(03-20-2021 06:36 PM)shere khan Wrote:  Sounds like total horseshite. Weve had an academic partnership with UT Memphis Medicsl for years. The skids were always greased for Memphis State pre med majors to go to UT Memphis for med school.

07-coffee3

It's better than a Carribean med school, I suppose. I just think it would be smarter to partner with UT Med. I'm not sure why the U would would partner with them when there is a state funded med school in town.

I'm sure you are a great doctor. 04-cheers Congrats

I'm sure my opinion will piss someone off. I seem to be good at that lately

Just be glad the UT med school doesnt have a football team. I'm pretty sure they lead the series against Memphis and beat Memphis 58-0 when they did.

Lol

I would love the U of M to be affiliated with a high-profile medical school as well. In Tennessee, UT is that program. I'm excluding Vandy because that is a private institution. UT is never going to offer a hand to the U of M, never. Yes, ETSU has a medical school, and I know several fine physicians who received their degrees from ETSU. Their training programs have suffered recently and I would not be surprised if they lose accreditation for some of their residency programs as they struggle to retain attending staff. Methodist is currently affiliated with UT although I don't know how firm or permanent that affiliation is. If this is going to happen it will have to start somewhere. I like the fact that our leaders are trying and not simply happily stagnating. I want the U of M to be successful in all aspects. I received an outstanding education from the U of M and will continue to support the university in any way possible.
03-20-2021 09:46 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

Can't even have a thread about a freaking medical school without the usual anti-Memphis suspects sh*tting on everything.

07-coffee3
03-21-2021 01:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.