Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rush Limbaugh-the man, the myth, the legend
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Rush Limbaugh-the man, the myth, the legend
I want to talk about Rush without getting religion/faith involved.

I remember going to Publix not too long ago, and happened to see a magazine about Rush Limbaugh. If any of you think Rush was saint, you would be very wrong. Early in Rush's career, before he became the legend that he was, Rush was a talk radio host that liked to be controversial, much like Howard Stein. However, after making a very mean comment to one of his female callers (this by his own admission), Rush vowed to never again to make insensitive comments about his callers lives, and instead concentrated on public figures and politics.

To anyone who says Rush was insensitive to women after his new focus, I would like you to watch a YouTube video of Rush doing a broadcast from NYC with a female guest who is/was liberal. Very interesting to watch.

Rush wasn't afraid to voice his convictions, and, over time, became the voice of the Republican Party.

Rush took time to listen to his callers, so long as be they didn't break his rules, which were pretty lenient, IMO.

RIP Rush, my hero and my icon.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021 09:58 AM by DawgNBama.)
03-17-2021 09:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Claw Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Rush Limbaugh-the man, the myth, the legend
I listened to Rush since the 80's.

It is time to change the radio show though. It's time to move on.
03-17-2021 10:33 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
Ive been wondering about the future of his show as well. Its probably still one of the largest---if not THE largest, conservative mass media platform in America. The current format, a guess host playing Rush clips from prior shows is simply not sustainable. Furthermore, Im not sure that there is a host that could capture the attention of that audience like Rush did.

The problem I see is there is a relatively short window to make a transition. I mean---I was a daily listener and now I already barely tune in anymore. I think they have maybe another month to figure it out---but I think the show may not really have a future as the show was Rush...and without him---its just another conservative talk show. The problem with replacing Rush is that Rush always had a unique take that was well reasoned--and was generally optimistic and hopeful. I just dont see a viable replacement who offers a similar middle-America relatability coupled with a unique optimistic political views largely grounded in Reagan conservatism.

For unique conservative takes, Id have to say Ben Shapiro is probably best--but he completely lacks the middle America relatability that Rush had. I honestly cant name a single person who could step into Rush's shoes.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021 10:48 AM by Attackcoog.)
03-17-2021 10:38 AM
EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
Looks like Dan Bongino is getting the timeslot.
03-17-2021 12:28 PM
DaSaintFan Offline
Dum' Sutherner in Midwest!

I Root For: Southern Miss
(03-17-2021 09:54 AM)DawgNBama Wrote:  I want to talk about Rush without getting religion/faith involved.

I remember going to Publix not too long ago, and happened to see a magazine about Rush Limbaugh. If any of you think Rush was saint, you would be very wrong. Early in Rush's career, before he became the legend that he was, Rush was a talk radio host that liked to be controversial, much like Howard Stein. However, after making a very mean comment to one of his female callers (this by his own admission), Rush vowed to never again to make insensitive comments about his callers lives, and instead concentrated on public figures and politics.

Read either of his auto-biographhies, Dawg... he hated that shock-jock radio style, and admitted he did it because he wanted to work in Radio.

Now as for if there will be anyone to fill in his time place? The CLOSEST I would think of the modern conservative that most closely could follow in Rush's shoes is NOT Ben Shapiro, but Stephen Crowder. He gets the self-mockery jokes and how to land some hard blows when he needs to, and would be my one choice to try to follow in Rush's footsteps.

As said, the guest hosts and the replays only last or so long. The shows numbers ALMOST always dipped if it weren't Walter Williams as his guest-host.
03-17-2021 12:59 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
Todd Herman seems to do a decent job, but there is one guy who I think could really take over the show and do well-Tucker Carlson. The problem is how to lure away Tucker from Fox.

FWIW, I don't believe anyone could replace Rush Limbaugh, but I do believe that Tucker Carlson has similar talents to Rush.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021 01:06 PM by DawgNBama.)
03-17-2021 01:04 PM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(03-17-2021 01:04 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Todd Herman seems to do a decent job, but there is one guy who I think could really take over the show and do well-Tucker Carlson. The problem is how to lure away Tucker from Fox.

FWIW, I don't believe anyone could replace Rush Limbaugh, but I do believe that Tucker Carlson has similar talents to Rush.

Tucker has a better sense of humor than Rush--but I dont think he's better at the analytical side of the equation. That said--on balance he'd be a reasonably acceptable replacement.....I just dont think he'd want to do the same double duty Radio Show+FOX Nightly broadcast thing that Hannity does. Its a lot of work. 04-cheers
03-17-2021 01:34 PM
EigenEagle Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
I've read the compiled list of things he's said I'm supposed to be outraged about, and the only times he probably crossed the line was the "take the bone out of your nose" comment (was early in his career) and the Michael J Fox thing (unless there's some fact I'm missing there).

He was right about Donovan McNabb all along (not surprisingly to me) and the Sandra Fluke (who was just a human shield anyways) thing was taken out of context.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2021 01:37 PM by EigenEagle.)
03-17-2021 01:36 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Marshall
Someone shared a audio clip of Rush's early career he was and AM Rock radio host in the 1970's and had a different on air name. Funny to listen to, he sounded like a typical disc jockey back then.
03-17-2021 05:44 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-17-2021 01:04 PM)DawgNBama Wrote:  Todd Herman seems to do a decent job, but there is one guy who I think could really take over the show and do well-Tucker Carlson. The problem is how to lure away Tucker from Fox.

Suddenly Charlotte talk radio host and former call screener for Rush(Brett Winterble) has shown up as a new guest host, I don't really care for his style hopefully he's not in the running as the permanent host. A replacement may never be named instead a regular rotation of the best 3 or 4 guest hosts.
03-17-2021 05:48 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I dont see Dan Bongino as a viable substitute. Compared to Rush, Dan is far less politically astute and has really no sense of humor.....he just comes off as a perpetually angry dude. Seems like a rushed kinda desperate pick that is a poor fit for Rush's audience.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 12:57 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-18-2021 12:56 PM
Advertisement

ECUGrad07 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ECU
Todd Herman is the best option. He's fantastic.

That said, there is NOBODY that could hold a candle to Rush. He was quite simply the best to ever do it.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 01:02 PM by ECUGrad07.)
03-18-2021 12:58 PM
Was SoMs Eagle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Mustard Buzzard
Rush always said his talent was on loan from God. I pray God finds a new vessel for his talent soon.
03-18-2021 01:34 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-18-2021 01:34 PM)Was SoMs Eagle Wrote:  Rush always said his talent was on loan from God. I pray God finds a new vessel for his talent soon.

there's some that believe in 'right'

there's some that understand, 'they're right'

then there are those that cannot 'discern'

lack of ability to discern = 1 > those that can...

it IS that simple in progression....
03-18-2021 01:59 PM
JMUDunk Online
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
Rush Limbaugh show was Rush. It wasn't focus grouped crap, summaries from staff or talking points from political "advisers" or politicians. I haven't really listed much since (entirely coincidentally) around the time of the Oxy ordeal. My schedule and travel changed around that time.

But again, the show was Rush. The stuff from early on, the parody songs, the bits of kind of a vaudeville radio genre, the Happy Warrior was a must tune in for millions of all sorts for a long time.

I had a pretty liberal prof who would tune in each day, door wide open for anyone walking down the hall to over hear. I asked him one evening after class why he took such an interest and he simply said the old Howard Stern line- "I want to hear what he's gonna say next".

At the time we were a bunch of college age surf bums living in Kitty Hawk NC. Looking back how odd to have a room of 5-6 guys in boardshorts sitting around on broken couches and mattresses on the floor listening to a scratchy A.M. feed coming in from Norfolk... Not much else would keep us indoors on a 80' summer day with a 3-5 breaking right out the front door, but Rush did that.

He was the brand, he was the genre, he was the show.

I hope no one tries to "replace" Rush as there's no way that's going to happen, especially if forced. Just do your own thing and hope it catches on. Will anyone again reach his popularity?

Likely not.
03-18-2021 02:24 PM
stinkfist Offline
nuts zongo's in the house

I Root For: Mustard Buzzards
(03-18-2021 02:24 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  Rush Limbaugh show was Rush. It wasn't focus grouped crap, summaries from staff or talking points from political "advisers" or politicians. I haven't really listed much since (entirely coincidentally) around the time of the Oxy ordeal. My schedule and travel changed around that time.

But again, the show was Rush. The stuff from early on, the parody songs, the bits of kind of a vaudeville radio genre, the Happy Warrior was a must tune in for millions of all sorts for a long time.

I had a pretty liberal prof who would tune in each day, door wide open for anyone walking down the hall to over hear. I asked him one evening after class why he took such an interest and he simply said the old Howard Stern line- "I want to hear what he's gonna say next".

At the time we were a bunch of college age surf bums living in Kitty Hawk NC. Looking back how odd to have a room of 5-6 guys in boardshorts sitting around on broken couches and mattresses on the floor listening to a scratchy A.M. feed coming in from Norfolk... Not much else would keep us indoors on a 80' summer day with a 3-5 breaking right out the front door, but Rush did that.

He was the brand, he was the genre, he was the show.

I hope no one tries to "replace" Rush as there's no way that's going to happen, especially if forced. Just do your own thing and hope it catches on. Will anyone again reach his popularity?

Likely not.

it's why one should NEVER ignore...
03-18-2021 02:28 PM
Advertisement

THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2021 12:56 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I dont see Dan Bongino as a viable substitute. Compared to Rush, Dan is far less politically astute and has really no sense of humor.....he just comes off as a perpetually angry dude. Seems like a rushed kinda desperate pick that is a poor fit for Rush's audience.

Quote:Conservative commentator Dan Bongino to take over Rush Limbaugh’s radio time slot. Dan Bongino is stepping into Rush Limbaugh’s infamous and controversial shoes.

It's Bongino
03-18-2021 06:16 PM
450bench Online

I Root For: Memphis
I’m a Bongino fan.
03-18-2021 06:36 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(03-18-2021 06:16 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  
(03-18-2021 12:56 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  I dont see Dan Bongino as a viable substitute. Compared to Rush, Dan is far less politically astute and has really no sense of humor.....he just comes off as a perpetually angry dude. Seems like a rushed kinda desperate pick that is a poor fit for Rush's audience.

Quote:Conservative commentator Dan Bongino to take over Rush Limbaugh’s radio time slot. Dan Bongino is stepping into Rush Limbaugh’s infamous and controversial shoes.

It's Bongino

Oh---I know its Bongino. I just dont think he's going to appeal to Rush listeners. I think the guy who said there is no viable replacement is probably correct. Im reminded of the Potter line from "Its a Wonderful Life" when he says to the Board of Directors after the death of George Baily's dad, "I'll go further than that--Peter Baily WAS the Building and Loan." Rush WAS the EIB Network.

There isnt anyone who can takeover that audience and hold most of it. Thats unfortunate because that show was a powerful platform for conservatives. Frankly, I find Bongino to be pretty boring. He's just all anger and hyperbole. Not enough substance and political acumen for me to bother listening to. He's just another grenade thrower. Tucker's far more sophisticated and far more likely to come with unique well thought out takes than Bongino in my opinion....but I suspect he really wasnt interested in doing 3 hours of radio a day.
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2021 07:14 PM by Attackcoog.)
03-18-2021 07:06 PM
THE NC Herd Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-18-2021 07:06 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(03-18-2021 06:16 PM)THE NC Herd Fan Wrote:  

It's Bongino

Oh---I know its Bongino. I just dont think he's going to appeal to Rush listeners. I think the guy who said there is no viable replacement is probably correct. There isnt anyone who can takeover that audience and hold most of it. I find Bongino to be pretty boring. He's just all anger and hyperbole. Not enough substance and political acumen for me to bother listening to. He's just another grenade thrower. Tucker's far more sophisticated and far more likley to come with unique well thought out takes than Bongino in my opinion.

Agree Bongino shows too much emotion the big appeal with Rush was his ability to troll the leftwing while maintaining a calm demeanor. The closest to rush would be Bill O'Reilly but he does have baggage.
03-18-2021 07:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.