Richmond 317
Bill and King James' daughter 276
Stony Brook 243
Albany 224
Elon 206
UNH 186
Maine 112
Towson 0

Accumulating yardage is not the be all/end all, and we certainly let some punts roll in the second half that padded these numbers with longer than needed fields, but we arent failing to move the ball relative to peers. Maybe to historical standards, but not relative to CAA peers. Execution, avoiding penalties in key areas of the field, turnovers, converting third downs, all problematic, but these are all fixable things.

Our defense has been incredibly stout in second halves this season. Zero points given up, and frankly, very little in the way of yardage. This is a big ask of the D which has been very good, but it would be great if they start a little quicker, and show more intensity from the start. The O needs this desperately. This is not a team that can play from behind as easily as some others we have had...though we did so successfully yesterday,

On the O side, I think the team would benefit from Gage taking the reins permanently. I get the feeling from things Ive heard that Cole is a tremendous young man and one we would all be incredibly proud to have as a son. But he has been recruited over a couple of times for a reason, unfortunately. And I will say for my own athletic career, which wasnt much, when you play a sport and for a couple of years dont have legit game play, sometimes you reach a point of "maturity" where you love being around the game, but dont have the edge necessary to excel anymore. The comments about Cole looking better as a freshman than he does now may be impacted by this. He seems timid, afraid to get hit,
and hes not making good decisions with the rock. Im suggesting its because he has lost his edge.

In final summary, I'm not ready to throw in the towel. I think this is a team that will have to win more close games...we havent had to do that in what seems to be an eternity. I'm discouraged by the lack of playmakers, the return game, and perhaps QB. I think both lines are easily good enough to make a deep run. D backs are improving and the linebackers...incomplete grade. Defense in general is easily good enough to win a chip. Running backs have been and will continue to be excellent.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2021 08:43 AM by PhillyDuke.)
03-07-2021 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TXGiant Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: JMU
RE: Interesting Perspective (?)
(03-07-2021 08:42 AM)PhillyDuke Wrote:  Week 3 total yardage:

JMU 384
Villanova 376
Delaware 370
Richmond 317
Bill and King James' daughter 276
Stony Brook 243
Albany 224
Elon 206
UNH 186
Maine 112
Towson 0

Accumulating yardage is not the be all/end all, and we certainly let some punts roll in the second half that padded these numbers with longer than needed fields, but we arent failing to move the ball relative to peers. Maybe to historical standards, but not relative to CAA peers. Execution, avoiding penalties in key areas of the field, turnovers, converting third downs, all problematic, but these are all fixable things.

Our defense has been incredibly stout in second halves this season. Zero points given up, and frankly, very little in the way of yardage. This is a big ask of the D which has been very good, but it would be great if they start a little quicker, and show more intensity from the start. The O needs this desperately. This is not a team that can play from behind as easily as some others we have had...though we did so successfully yesterday,

On the O side, I think the team would benefit from Gage taking the reins permanently. I get the feeling from things Ive heard that Cole is a tremendous young man and one we would all be incredibly proud to have as a son. But he has been recruited over a couple of times for a reason, unfortunately. And I will say for my own athletic career, which wasnt much, when you play a sport and for a couple of years dont have legit game play, sometimes you reach a point of "maturity" where you love being around the game, but dont have the edge necessary to excel anymore. The comments about Cole looking better as a freshman than he does now may be impacted by this. He seems timid, afraid to get hit,
and hes not making good decisions with the rock. Im suggesting its because he has lost his edge.

In final summary, I'm not ready to throw in the towel. I think this is a team that will have to win more close games...we havent had to do that in what seems to be an eternity. I'm discouraged by the lack of playmakers, the return game, and perhaps QB. I think both lines are easily good enough to make a deep run. D backs are improving and the linebackers...incomplete grade. Defense in general is easily good enough to win a chip. Running backs have been and will continue to be excellent.

Sorry but this post is way too rational! I agree- yesterday’s game was great cause for alarm on the surface. But the season is young and we appear to have found our QB. I’m not throwing in the towel just yet, either!
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2021 09:54 AM by TXGiant.)
03-07-2021 09:54 AM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Why would someone throw in the towel on a 3-0 and likely #1 team? The premise is crazy but then again so are a lot of Dukes fans.
03-07-2021 09:57 AM
PhillyDuke Offline
Special Teams

(03-07-2021 09:57 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Why would someone throw in the towel on a 3-0 and likely #1 team? The premise is crazy but then again so are a lot of Dukes fans.

I do agree its somewhat crazy. But I think its good in the sense that the program and our athletic leadership has set an extremely high bar. This is a good thing for us fans and supporters.

Not too too long ago we could have opened 3-0 with a CAA squeaker-opener and there would have been irrational exuberance. We know fools gold when we see it now!
03-07-2021 10:13 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
Since NC game 2019 minus 16 of 22 starters (lost 12 seniors, 3 to transfer, and just lost Fornadel). All but a couple of those guys were All CAA during their time at JMU, & a # of them were AAs. Only 6 of 22 2019 starters left, 3 on each side of the ball. Plus lost 2 would be starting defensive ends in the fall to knee injuries, not back till next fall. Those are huge losses to overcome.

When was the last time JMU started two true freshmen?
03-07-2021 10:35 AM
Advertisement

Dukes1987 Offline
Water Engineer

[quote='BDKJMU' pid='17308959' dateline='1615131318']
Since NC game 2019 minus 16 of 22 starters (lost 12 seniors, 3 to transfer, and just lost Fornadel). All but a couple of those guys were All CAA during their time at JMU, & a # of them were AAs. Only 6 of 22 2019 starters left, 3 on each side of the ball. Plus lost 2 would be starting defensive ends in the fall to knee injuries, not back till next fall. Those are huge losses to overcome.

[/quote

OMG. Has anyone heard of the COVID-19? It is crazy to believe that teams will be hitting on all cylinders after 3 games. Also, the 3 transfers were due to COVID. The teams practice in PODS and the coaches spend more time looking at GPS tracker reports than film from what I understand. Why don’t we support our team more and criticize less just for this season. We would all be a lot happier if we looked at these games as fans and alums and celebrated wins instead of agonizing about depth charts.
03-07-2021 12:37 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(03-07-2021 12:37 PM)Dukes1987 Wrote:  
(03-07-2021 10:35 AM)BDKJMU Wrote:  Since NC game 2019 minus 16 of 22 starters (lost 12 seniors, 3 to transfer, and just lost Fornadel). All but a couple of those guys were All CAA during their time at JMU, & a # of them were AAs. Only 6 of 22 2019 starters left, 3 on each side of the ball. Plus lost 2 would be starting defensive ends in the fall to knee injuries, not back till next fall. Those are huge losses to overcome.

OMG. Has anyone heard of the COVID-19? It is crazy to believe that teams will be hitting on all cylinders after 3 games. Also, the 3 transfers were due to COVID. The teams practice in PODS and the coaches spend more time looking at GPS tracker reports than film from what I understand. Why don’t we support our team more and criticize less just for this season. We would all be a lot happier if we looked at these games as fans and alums and celebrated wins instead of agonizing about depth charts.
I assume this isn’t directed at me? I haven’t been one of the ones criticizing the teams performance. Just pointing out that the loss in talent & experience since the last season has been tremendous, more than we’ve ever seen before, so struggles are to be expected, and a Frisco trip shouldn’t be.

Good point about dealing with the virus, but that is something all teams are dealing with..
03-07-2021 01:15 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
Guys I’m an optimist but I believe this will all work out. The Dukes schedule and conference will allow JMU to keep competing and winning while getting better in the lead up to the playoffs. There doesn’t look to be any juggernauts out there this spring season and they mentioned on yesterday’s telecast that JMU will even get an extra week at the end of the season to get healthy prior to the playoffs while other teams may not have that advantage. Just stay relatively healthy and navigate COVID and we will build as the season goes on.
03-07-2021 01:30 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(03-07-2021 01:15 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  
(03-07-2021 10:35 AM)BDKJMU Wrote:  Since NC game 2019 minus 16 of 22 starters (lost 12 seniors, 3 to transfer, and just lost Fornadel). All but a couple of those guys were All CAA during their time at JMU, & a # of them were AAs. Only 6 of 22 2019 starters left, 3 on each side of the ball. Plus lost 2 would be starting defensive ends in the fall to knee injuries, not back till next fall. Those are huge losses to overcome.

I assume this isn’t directed at me? I haven’t been one of the ones criticizing the teams performance. Just pointing out that the loss in talent & experience since the last season has been tremendous, more than we’ve ever seen before, so struggles are to be expected, and a Frisco trip shouldn’t be.

Good point about dealing with the virus, but that is something all teams are dealing with..

I am expecting "a Frisco trip." I may be disappointed, as I often am, but I am still expecting a Frisco trip. I don't see any team across the nation better than us. We just have to play with intensity for four quarters, not two. If Cig can get that message home, and I have all the confidence that he can, then barring beating ourselves, we should be Frisco-bound again.
03-07-2021 06:04 PM
Advertisement

JMaddy Offline
All American

(03-07-2021 06:04 PM)Purple Wrote:  

I am expecting "a Frisco trip." I may be disappointed, as I often am, but I am still expecting a Frisco trip. I don't see any team across the nation better than us. We just have to play with intensity for four quarters, not two. If Cig can get that message home, and I have all the confidence that he can, then barring beating ourselves, we should be Frisco-bound again.

We don't really feel that far off from being a great team. Hopefully Gage at QB rights all the ills and we steam into the postseason. I also feel ike NDSU is more than likely going to get their crap together and we'll see them in Frisco (but with a different outcome).
03-07-2021 08:47 PM
Purple Offline
Heisman

(03-07-2021 08:47 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  

We don't really feel that far off from being a great team. Hopefully Gage at QB rights all the ills and we steam into the postseason. I also feel ike NDSU is more than likely going to get their crap together and we'll see them in Frisco (but with a different outcome).

If we stumble along the way and lose a game, then, yes, I think we may be facing the smelly Bisons in Frisco. However, I think the more likely scenario is we win out and the smellies have to come to Harrisonburg for a colossal ass-whipping. It is also very possible that the stinkies drop one or two more games and don't make the playoffs at all. I wonder how many games they would have to lose to not get an at-large given how much the committee loves them. Could they get in with three losses?
03-07-2021 10:03 PM
JMaddy Offline
All American

(03-07-2021 10:03 PM)Purple Wrote:  
(03-07-2021 08:47 PM)JMaddy Wrote:  
(03-07-2021 12:37 PM)Dukes1987 Wrote:  OMG. Has anyone heard of the COVID-19? It is crazy to believe that teams will be hitting on all cylinders after 3 games. Also, the 3 transfers were due to COVID. The teams practice in PODS and the coaches spend more time looking at GPS tracker reports than film from what I understand. Why don’t we support our team more and criticize less just for this season. We would all be a lot happier if we looked at these games as fans and alums and celebrated wins instead of agonizing about depth charts.

If we stumble along the way and lose a game, then, yes, I think we may be facing the smelly Bisons in Frisco. However, I think the more likely scenario is we win out and the smellies have to come to Harrisonburg for a colossal ass-whipping. It is also very possible that the stinkies drop one or two more games and don't make the playoffs at all. I wonder how many games they would have to lose to not get an at-large given how much the committee loves them. Could they get in with three losses?
If they are 4th in the MVC with 3 losses they might be out, but if they are in a tie for 3rd they'd likely get the last slot.

I think with the regionalization of the playoffs it is most likely that they'd end up in the western bracket and have to go through Weber not us.
03-07-2021 10:21 PM
JMURocks Offline
Hall of Famer

Folks have been saying 3 losses likely is too many for any team to make the spring playoffs. For JMU two losses is likely too many, and one could even be bad depending on how things shake out.

If Delaware wins out, right now they would get the title and autobid. If the season ended today, I don't think we get a seed, regardless of what the polls say (and we are highly likely to keep that #1 stats ranking tomorrow). Squeaking by with 3 pt wins probably won't be enough for a seed, especially when teams like UD are winning big. And the committee likes to give those top seeds to conference autobid winners.

MVC likely gets 2 or 3 teams in. Bisson odds are all relative to how other teams in mvc perform, but 6 at large is not a lot, and unlikely any conference gets more than two of those.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2021 10:42 PM by JMURocks.)
03-07-2021 10:28 PM
Advertisement

Dukester Offline

(03-07-2021 01:30 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Guys I’m an optimist but I believe this will all work out. The Dukes schedule and conference will allow JMU to keep competing and winning while getting better in the lead up to the playoffs. There doesn’t look to be any juggernauts out there this spring season and they mentioned on yesterday’s telecast that JMU will even get an extra week at the end of the season to get healthy prior to the playoffs while other teams may not have that advantage. Just stay relatively healthy and navigate COVID and we will build as the season goes on.

While you cannot ignore the covid effect, I think this is more than covid. To me the defense has played up to expectations, and they lost a TON. My concern was certainly more on that side of the ball with the quality, and volume of players lost, as well as what was taking their places. When Cig was hired, and brought in Hetherman I felt our defense would be solid. That has been the case.......

On the offensive side when Cig was hired I was not as impressed with the Shane Montgomery hire. Shane and Cig seem to be Mickey Matthews 1B and 1C to me. Run first. Not really bringing much to passing offensives. This offense has not looked good as expected against three teams that are not likely top 75 FCS caliber. Why can we not run the ball more consistently? Why does Cole look worse than he was as a Freshman? Why does he look so unsure being a Senior having started games key games as a Freshman and being two years into the system. If this is the best we have at QB, why were they not able to attract talent from high school or via transfer. Freshman quarterbacks do start in college in football. The up tempo offensive certainly is not what it was under Withers and Houston eras. Now when the up tempo is called, it is slow and seems to be more like a came plan decision than a part of the regular offense. We are better than just about every team we play. Play faster, wear down teams, have more plays in a game. These are all benefits to a more dominant team against a lessor opponent.

I was excited about Grant Cain as special teams coach. He seemed to have a nice resume for a young coach -

During the 2018 season, Cain guided the Bears to top-12 rankings nationally in four statistical categories, which included leading the country in net punting (40.58). He mentored Matt Shiel to the eighth-best punting average (43.6) in the FCS. Mercer also led the Southern Conference and ranked ninth nationally in kick-return average (25.57) while ranking 12th in both punt-return average (14.17) and punt-return defense (4.35).

But here I just don't see him providing much to the offensive side of our special teams. The year before Grant, Amos averaged 22 yard a return (25 returns) with 3 TDs. Under Grant he averaged 13 yards (33 returns) and had one TD. Still good, but nothing like prior to Grant. He just did not look like as big a weapon.

And then Harry O'Kelly - with the prior Special Team coach he ran the read punt (like a read option) for every punt for two years putting stress on return teams to first defend the run leaving less to resources for the return. This is no longer the case. Harry's kicks are straight punts - there is no read. I fake punt will only happen if it comes from the sideline. That was such an offensive weapon on special teams.
03-08-2021 09:37 AM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

(03-08-2021 09:37 AM)Dukester Wrote:  
(03-07-2021 01:30 PM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  Guys I’m an optimist but I believe this will all work out. The Dukes schedule and conference will allow JMU to keep competing and winning while getting better in the lead up to the playoffs. There doesn’t look to be any juggernauts out there this spring season and they mentioned on yesterday’s telecast that JMU will even get an extra week at the end of the season to get healthy prior to the playoffs while other teams may not have that advantage. Just stay relatively healthy and navigate COVID and we will build as the season goes on.

While you cannot ignore the covid effect, I think this is more than covid. To me the defense has played up to expectations, and they lost a TON. My concern was certainly more on that side of the ball with the quality, and volume of players lost, as well as what was taking their places. When Cig was hired, and brought in Hetherman I felt our defense would be solid. That has been the case.......

On the offensive side when Cig was hired I was not as impressed with the Shane Montgomery hire. Shane and Cig seem to be Mickey Matthews 1B and 1C to me. Run first. Not really bringing much to passing offensives. This offense has not looked good as expected against three teams that are not likely top 75 FCS caliber. Why can we not run the ball more consistently? Why does Cole look worse than he was as a Freshman? Why does he look so unsure being a Senior having started games key games as a Freshman and being two years into the system. If this is the best we have at QB, why were they not able to attract talent from high school or via transfer. Freshman quarterbacks do start in college in football. The up tempo offensive certainly is not what it was under Withers and Houston eras. Now when the up tempo is called, it is slow and seems to be more like a came plan decision than a part of the regular offense. We are better than just about every team we play. Play faster, wear down teams, have more plays in a game. These are all benefits to a more dominant team against a lessor opponent.

I was excited about Grant Cain as special teams coach. He seemed to have a nice resume for a young coach -

During the 2018 season, Cain guided the Bears to top-12 rankings nationally in four statistical categories, which included leading the country in net punting (40.58). He mentored Matt Shiel to the eighth-best punting average (43.6) in the FCS. Mercer also led the Southern Conference and ranked ninth nationally in kick-return average (25.57) while ranking 12th in both punt-return average (14.17) and punt-return defense (4.35).

But here I just don't see him providing much to the offensive side of our special teams. The year before Grant, Amos averaged 22 yard a return (25 returns) with 3 TDs. Under Grant he averaged 13 yards (33 returns) and had one TD. Still good, but nothing like prior to Grant. He just did not look like as big a weapon.

And then Harry O'Kelly - with the prior Special Team coach he ran the read punt (like a read option) for every punt for two years putting stress on return teams to first defend the run leaving less to resources for the return. This is no longer the case. Harry's kicks are straight punts - there is no read. I fake punt will only happen if it comes from the sideline. That was such an offensive weapon on special teams.

Overall agree. Special teams was a problem last year and doesn't seem much improved this year. However, the offense was clearly better last year, as was Nooch than the prior year. I've never thought Cole was going to get it done and was not impressed when he took over in 2016 for Schor. The big thing for me is if the QB is giving the WRs a chance at the ball. I don't see that from Cole. I saw that from Gage and I saw that from Schor and Nooch.

The o-line clearly has run-blocking issues. The pass-blocking actually looks okay from what I'm seeing. Just going over the replay, Kidwell and Stephens seemed to have a pretty rough time. It looked more like a knowing what to do versus a talent thing. To add to that, didn't we use primarily man-blocking schemes last year? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like Shane has fallen in love with the zone-blocking and wants to try and recreate the 49ers out there. Saw a lot of guys not picking up the right blocks or just not being able to get out in front and keep their shoulders square. Also felt like some double teams on the edge stalled and left our RBs in bad situations. I imagine there will continue to be some steep growing pains from this, but hoping for improvement. If we can get out of our stances a hair quicker and make the correct first steps consistently I think we'll get back on track in a hurry.
03-08-2021 11:20 AM
DoubleDogDare Offline
All American

No argument with your point (cause it's obviously factual), but I think you could probably ask that question with every FCS team.

I doubt there is a perfect source for this info, but I imagine the amount of prior season FCS AA who either transferred to FBS or are not playing this season is the highest it's ever been. True freshman (that typically join in Aug) have had ~9x the amount of time to get bigger/faster/stronger, learn the playbook/schemes, and get in front of coaches to build trust.

Due to those two situations, I imagine most every FCS team is starting more true freshman (and redshirt freshman) than typical. Because of that, JMU being young should have a lower than normal impact this spring.
03-08-2021 11:31 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(03-08-2021 11:31 AM)DoubleDogDare Wrote:  

No argument with your point (cause it's obviously factual), but I think you could probably ask that question with every FCS team.

I doubt there is a perfect source for this info, but I imagine the amount of prior season FCS AA who either transferred to FBS or are not playing this season is the highest it's ever been. True freshman (that typically join in Aug) have had ~9x the amount of time to get bigger/faster/stronger, learn the playbook/schemes, and get in front of coaches to build trust.

Due to those two situations, I imagine most every FCS team is starting more true freshman (and redshirt freshman) than typical. Because of that, JMU being young should have a lower than normal impact this spring.
That is probably true.
-HERO had an article a couple months ago listing about how the about ballpark 99 that transferred up did.
https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2020...form-bzbz/
Besides NDSU's Trey Lance sitting out, FCS All Star Game participants not playing winter/spring season:

Senior Bowl
NDSU/LSU LB
NDSU OT
UNI OT
UNI DE
SDSU WR
ILSU S
NCCU CB
Grambling OG

HULA Bowll:
EKU WR
JSU LB
Merricmack OL (Also East/West Shrine)
Alcorn St LS
03-09-2021 03:03 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.