Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Bipartisan Group Of Senators Seek To Strip Biden* Of Certain War Powers
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Bipartisan Group Of Senators Seek To Strip Biden* Of Certain War Powers
Quote:A bipartisan group of senators on Wednesday introduced legislation seeking to rein in war powers from President Joe Biden by repealing two decades-old military authorizations.

The move comes on the heels of Biden’s military air strike in Syria on Thursday night without first seeking congressional approval.

The legislation introduced from Sens. Tim Kaine (D-VA) and Todd Young (R-IN) “would repeal the 1991 and 2002 authorizations that cleared the way for a prolonged military conflict in Iraq, culminating in calls from Democrats and Republicans alike to end the so-called ‘forever wars’ in the region,” POLITICO reported.

Kaine emphasized Congress’ responsibility in relation to war efforts.

“Last week’s airstrikes in Syria show that the executive branch, regardless of party, will continue to stretch its war powers,” the Democrat and former VP candidate said. “Congress has a responsibility to not only vote to authorize new military action, but to repeal old authorizations that are no longer necessary.”

Young similarly argued that Congress has been “operating on autopilot” when it comes to military force.

“Congress has been operating on autopilot when it comes to our essential duties to authorize the use of military force,” he said. “The fact that authorities for both of these wars are still law today is illustrative of the bipartisan failure of Congress to perform its constitutionally-mandated oversight role.”

Kaine said he flagged the legislation to the White House during a call this week, The Hill reported Wednesday, adding that the Democrat “noted while they didn’t make any commitments, they seemed ‘really willing to engage.'”

Sens. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL), Mike Lee (R-UT), Chris Coons (D-DE), Rand Paul (R-KY), and Chuck Grassley (R-IA), have all signed onto the legislation.

As noted by The Hill, this is not the first time lawmakers have attempted to repeal the authorizations:

Kaine and Young introduced similar legislation in 2019, but it languished in the Senate Foreign Relations Committee. The House voted last year to repeal the 2002 authorization, drawing a veto threat from Trump. The measure did not advance in the GOP-controlled Senate.

Even though the 2002 law was authorized to invade Iraq, then-President Obama cited it as legal justification for action in Syria against ISIS, and the Trump administration initially cited it for strikes against Iran.

President Biden on Friday said that Iran “should view his decision to authorize U.S. airstrikes in Syria as a warning that it can expect consequences for its support of militia groups that threaten U.S. interests or personnel,” The Associated Press reported.

“You can’t act with impunity. Be careful,” the president said.

“The United States always stands ready to take necessary and proportionate action in self-defense, including when, as is the case here, the government of the state where the threat is located is unwilling or unable to prevent the use of its territory by non-state militia groups responsible for such attacks,” Biden wrote in a letter to Congress, outlining his justification for the strikes.

Link
03-04-2021 03:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BobcatEngineer Offline
All American

I Root For: OHIO
RE: Bipartisan Group Of Senators Seek To Strip Biden* Of Certain War Powers
About time... The executive branch as had carte blanche to do whatever they want in name of fighting terrorism in the region for far too long.
03-04-2021 03:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Yup. The Constitution does not even call for a standing army!

And only congress is supposed to declare war. They've been living off the AUMF since 9/11. Would have been nice if they would have went after this years ago.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2021 08:07 AM by Redwingtom.)
03-04-2021 03:15 PM
Advertisement

JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
You guys honestly think this is really about Congress reasserting it's authority here? I've heard Paul and I think Lee bring this kind of thing up in the past, that's about it.

It's about WHO is wielding that power today. It's plain to see for anyone willing to give an honest look. Until they 25th amend the moron, they've got to try to find a "polite" way to keep him from doing something else completely, utterly stupid.

Dumbest guy in the Senate 45 yrs ago, he hasn't exactly gained a step since then.
03-04-2021 04:08 PM
Danforth Offline
Banned

I Root For: Oregon
They are gonna strap him?

That sounds really weird.
03-04-2021 04:30 PM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
Biden* needs to be stripped of certain war powers because Biden* is not in charge. So, although Biden* gets the blame for mistakenly bombing a border checkpoint in Syria, in reality it was someone else who made the call. We dont know who that is. But that person doesnt have the authority to do so.
03-04-2021 05:46 PM
BartlettTigerFan Online
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
Susan Rice

You heard it here first.
03-04-2021 06:37 PM
Advertisement

Crebman Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(03-04-2021 04:08 PM)JMUDunk Wrote:  You guys honestly think this is really about Congress reasserting it's authority here? I've heard Paul and I think Lee bring this kind of thing up in the past, that's about it.

It's about WHO is wielding that power today. It's plain to see for anyone willing to give an honest look. Until they 25th amend the moron, they've got to try to find a "polite" way to keep him from doing something else completely, utterly stupid.

Dumbest guy in the Senate 45 yrs ago, he hasn't exactly gained a step since then.

Even the Democrats know the senile one is incapable. They are trying to take the car keys away from gramps before he runs up in the sidewalk and runs someone over.

......and he’s not making the decisions. My guess - Obama through the back door. Worst President in 150 years and we see them running a shadow government.........

It’ll be Cumala before the year’s out......likely with Susan Rice as VP.

What a Shiiteshow!!
03-04-2021 07:57 PM
Redwingtom Online
Progressive filth

I Root For: B-G-S-U !!!!
Good!

03-05-2021 09:00 AM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(03-05-2021 09:00 AM)Redwingtom Wrote:  Good!

lulz
03-05-2021 12:34 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
This is all about dismantling the power a president has and giving it to the legislative branch.
03-05-2021 01:44 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
No2rdame Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis, ND
LOL, Chris Coons. He's the @ssclown that smiled for a photo op with Sniff while he grabbed his daughter's arm and sniffed her up and down like a cheap cigar.
03-05-2021 01:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.