Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Blackout:WH curbs press, public access as Biden* struggles with public demands of job
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Blackout:WH curbs press, public access as Biden* struggles with public demands of job
Quote:Throughout his presidential campaign and continuing since taking the White House, Joe Biden has promised a transparent approach to press and public relations. Yet in recent weeks, his administration has closed off — at least for now — several key avenues via which the press and public have for years gained a modicum of transparency, accessibility and accountability from the White House.

These moves to curb press and public access come as President Joe Biden himself has at times appeared to be struggling with the public demands of his job.

Notably, the White House has said that while it will divulge records of individuals who physically visit the White House, it will not be sharing virtual visitor logs. The Biden administration has relied heavily on virtual meetings out of concerns that COVID-19 might spread in face-to-face gatherings.

An unnamed White House official told Politico this week that the administration's refusal to release virtual meeting logs was in line with "the same way that previous administrations didn't release phone logs."

Meanwhile, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki this week acerbically dismissed a reporter's query into the administration's lack of transparency on the issue.

"[Biden is] meeting with members of the Senate virtually today," she said. "There, I've released it for you. What else would you like to know?"

The White House has also shut down its comment line by which American citizens can call in to leave comments for the executive branch. A recording claims that the comment office is "temporarily closed" and urges callers to visit the White House's contact page instead.

The Biden administration has also removed the popular "We the People" petitioning platform originally started by President Barack Obama and continued through the Trump administration. As late as Jan. 18 of this year, the program was still active, yet now any attempt to reach the older URL simply reroutes users to the White House's main page.

Gone, also, are White House tours, which the administration claims have been "suspended until further notice." As late as mid-December, the Trump administration was still encouraging Americans to schedule tours through their congressional representatives.

Biden struggles with public demands of presidency

The rollback of public access comes amid the first six weeks of the Biden administration during which Biden himself has, at times, seemed to struggle with the rigorous schedule and public appearances demanded of modern U.S. presidents.

A CNN report last month stated that the president regularly returns to his private residence at 7:00 p.m. each day and is "more of an early-to-bed type" than both Obama and Trump. Biden has thus far failed to host a single West Wing news conference, though the White House hosts daily news briefings.

The president became well-known over the course of his presidential campaign for having difficulties speaking publicly, so much so that the New York Times in 2019 ran a feature report on his struggles to give public addresses. A fifty-year veteran of Washington politics, Biden has logged hundreds and hundreds of hours of public speaking, where he has been known to make gaffes on occasion, such as his remark in 2007 that then-presidential candidate Barack Obama was "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean."

His latest struggles, meanwhile, often appear less gaffe-like and more fundamental, such as at a recent Pentagon appearance when he struggled with teleprompter-fed words such as "Tuskegee," "because of," "defeated" and "dishonor."

At other times, the president has appeared to momentarily forget critical facts, as he did in a recent CNN town hall at which he incorrectly claimed that the U.S. "didn't have" a vaccine when Biden assumed the presidency. Biden himself had received a shot of the vaccine a month prior to taking the oath of office.

At a speech in Houston last week, meanwhile, the president stumbled through a series of mistakenly pronounced names, referring to Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee as "Shirley" and referring to Rep. Lizzie Pannill Fletcher as "Lizzie Pannilli.

"What am I doing here?" the president said at one point. "I'm going to lose track here."

Link

Grandpa Earpiece needs a new battery.
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2021 11:47 AM by CrimsonPhantom.)
03-03-2021 05:23 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SuperFlyBCat Offline
Banned

I Root For: America and UC
RE: Blackout:WH curbs press, public access as Biden* struggles with public demands of job
Come on man warm applesauce and a nap is a good thing.
03-03-2021 05:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
RE: Blackout:WH curbs press, public access as Biden* struggles with public demands of job
"Gotta go, poopy diaper"
03-03-2021 06:31 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Because he is a senile moron. Always been a moron, now a moron with dementia
03-03-2021 08:02 PM
olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ
Under Biden the WH has become the American Forbidden City where only his caregivers are allowed in. He's the Liberals neo-god.
03-03-2021 08:15 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

03-04-2021 11:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis
It’s a real life “Weekend at Bernie’s”
03-04-2021 11:56 AM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Quote:Pressure is mounting on President Joe Biden to hold a solo press conference after he has set a modern-day record of 42 days without holding one.

Even left-wing publications like CNN are calling out Biden for his lack of transparency, with host Jake Tapper tweeting: [CNN reporter Kevin Liptak] notes that an analysis of the past 100 years shows President Biden’s 15 most recent predecessors all held a formal solo press conference within 33 days of taking office. Biden has not and it’s day 42.”

Republican researcher Zach Parkinson tweeted out a graph showing the length of time that it took all presidents dating back to Herbert Hoover to hold their first solo press conference. Biden was by far the longest.

Republican National Committee Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel also called out Biden for the lack of transparency.

“It’s been 42 days and Joe Biden still refuses to hold a press conference,” McDaniel said. “Why is he so afraid of answering questions?”

Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ) questioned whether there was something going on that was stopping Biden from being transparent with the American people, tweeting: “Why is Joe Biden hiding from the American people?”

White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki said this week that the administration has still not made any plans for Biden to hold a solo press conference.

“The closest Biden has come to holding a conference was a brief interview with Univision on Feb. 25, in which he answered questions alongside First Lady Dr. Jill Biden,” The Daily Caller reported this week. “The first lady frequently assisted Biden in answering policy questions throughout the interview, offering qualifiers to the president’s answers on teacher vaccinations and immigration policy.”

“The reluctance to hold a presser recalls the time last summer and early fall when then-candidate Biden largely holed up in his Wilmington, Del., home while the coronavirus and the presidential campaign were churning,” the New York Post reported. “Biden set up a studio in his home and took part in media interviews and talks with supporters and voters via virtual meetings from his basement, tightly controlling which reporters got to ask a question, if at all.”

Republican Party Communications Director Michael Ahrens highlighted a clip where Biden made controversial comments about the unfolding crisis on the border.

When a reporter asked Biden if there was a crisis on the border, Biden responded “no.”

Ahrens commented: “No wonder they haven’t let him do a press conference.”

Obama-era DHS Secretary Jeh Johnson said a couple of years ago that a day with 1,000 apprehensions at the U.S.-Mexico border was “a relatively bad number” and that “a thousand overwhelms the system.” Border experts have said that currently under Biden, there are days where over 4,000 illegal aliens have been apprehended in a single day on the border. During his 2019 interview, Johnson said, “I cannot begin to imagine what 4,000 a day looks like, so we are truly in a crisis.”

Link

Quote:During Wednesday’s broadcast of FNC’s “Hannity,” former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo warned that President Joe Biden not taking a more out front posture compared to his predecessor former President Donald Trump, could have consequences.

Host Sean Hannity asked Pompeo what he made of the Biden administration unwilling to put Biden in front of cameras to field questions and instead using staff.

“Sean, world leaders, and my counterparts all across the world are watching very closely,” he said. “Senior leadership all across the world, they’d watch every statement that is made. They watch every move. They see what their patterns are like, the kinds of behaviors they exhibit — exhibit when times are tough and when the pressure is really on. And so, you remember, President Trump would be out there.”

“He talked to the media all the time, probably more than any modern president,” Pompeo continued. “He was out engaging with the media on a broad range of topics, wide open. He’d take questions from just about everyone. When a leader can’t do that, when they can’t take questions, when they can’t explain the policies that they are engaged in, when they seem to be hiding behind, whether that’s staff or just the fact that they don’t have time, leaders watch that. They wonder.”

“And you’ll see — you see when the United States exhibits weakness, it creates real risk for our soldiers, sailors, airmen, marines all across the world,” he added. “Weakness begets wars, and strength determines whether our adversaries can be deterred. And it also determines whether our allies really want to toss in with us when the times get most difficult.”

Link
03-04-2021 01:33 PM
TigerBlue4Ever Offline
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
He may not last 3 months.
03-04-2021 04:31 PM
Danforth Offline
Banned

I Root For: Oregon
Kinda makes you wonder how Trump lost to a half dead guy right?
03-04-2021 04:33 PM
BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

(03-04-2021 04:31 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  He may not last 3 months.

They'll stuff him and wheel him around on a dolly for 2 years.
03-04-2021 04:33 PM
Advertisement

Danforth Offline
Banned

(03-04-2021 04:33 PM)BartlettTigerFan Wrote:  
(03-04-2021 04:31 PM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  He may not last 3 months.

They'll stuff him and wheel him around on a dolly for 2 years.

He's a stiff.

This is the reason why I didn't want him to win the nomination.
03-04-2021 04:39 PM
Hernando Hills Tiger Offline
High score: 819 (credit)

I Root For: USA

DonatorsFolding@NCAAbbsFolding@NCAAbbs
(03-04-2021 04:33 PM)Danforth Wrote:  Kinda makes you wonder how Trump lost to a half dead guy right?

We know how.
03-04-2021 04:49 PM
BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

(03-04-2021 04:49 PM)Hernando Hills Tiger Wrote:  
(03-04-2021 04:33 PM)Danforth Wrote:  Kinda makes you wonder how Trump lost to a half dead guy right?

We know how.

You supposed to use the official Troll food.
03-04-2021 04:52 PM
Bronco'14 Offline
WMU

I Root For: WMU Broncos
Of course he's not taking questions. "We're in the middle of a pandemic!!!"
03-04-2021 04:54 PM
Todor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: New Mexico State
(03-04-2021 11:56 AM)450bench Wrote:  It’s a real life “Weekend at Bernie’s”

Reminds me of Elaine on Seinfeld

"Bernie is dead, you moron! Just because he's wearing sunglasses he looks alive?! "
03-04-2021 04:55 PM
Advertisement

olliebaba Offline
Legend

I Root For: Christ

"WE" don't wonder at all. "WE" know why.
03-04-2021 05:32 PM
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!

It might make you wonder, but the rest of us know what went down.
03-05-2021 04:38 PM
Danforth Offline
Banned

(03-05-2021 04:38 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  

It might make you wonder, but the rest of us know what went down.

Oh yeah I forgot.

The election was fixed right?

Are you actually going to stand for that? Do something about it.

Be a patriot.
03-05-2021 04:41 PM
450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis
Trump is up by 800k votes or something at 11 pm with 86% of the precincts reporting in PA. The odds of him losing were like 1 in 850 billion, literally.
Similar odds in others states. Then when sun came up the guy loses every one of those states.

Imagine that...
03-05-2021 06:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.