Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

So, about next year
Bookmark and Share
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
So, about next year
I was going to post this on the very sick Brannen hater thread, but didn't want to see that continue. I'm curious to hear thoughts on next year's roster. I know that we're assuming a handful of incoming transfers, but I really only want to see one or two. I love this young core and want to see them continue to develop. I'm going to guess that Gabe Madsen and DDJ return, and Harvey does not. Here's where our roster would stand:

Freshman
Viktor Lakhin - 6'11" Forward

Sophomores
Tari Eason - 6'8" Forward
Gabe Madsen - 6'5" Forward
Mason Madsen - 6'3" Guard
Mike Saunders - 6'0" Guard

Juniors
Jeremiah Davenport - 6'7" Guard
Mika Adams-Woods - 6'3" Guard

Seniors
Mamadou Diarra - 6'9" Forward
David DeJulius - 6'0" Guard

That's 9 players on the roster. Ideally, we bring in another wing and a big. We'd really need an experienced PG if DDJ does not return. Could Lakhin be that big? It would be good to get at least one more freshman for class balance, then a big 2022 class, which would come in as Davenport and MAW depart.

02-26-2021 08:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BrooklynRocket Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cardozo HS
RE: So, about next year
As a best case scenario for the roster next year, I think we would expect to contend for an NCAA bid with that group.

Hopefully the players see the vision, because if we lose a good chunk of this core, we're most likely looking at a repeat of this season.

02-26-2021 11:16 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
Guessing we get a 3rd year of Vogt if he wants to work towards another degree with the few year.

02-27-2021 12:24 AM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnati
Please say no to Vogt.

02-27-2021 07:43 AM
geef Offline
JV Bench Warmer

I Root For: Binturongs
I appreciate what Vogt has given the program, but yesterday showed the direction this program should take with the core group. We still need depth, and it would be nice to get another freshman in the class.

02-27-2021 09:55 AM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

(02-27-2021 12:24 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Guessing we get a 3rd year of Vogt if he wants to work towards another degree with the few year.

I'm hoping Vogt only comes back if the staff absolutely strikes out on big men. We likely aren't a NCAA team next year but giving Vogt 20+ minutes only serves to marginalize Eason's and Lahkin's development.

02-27-2021 10:08 AM
Advertisement

chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
Any indication on whether Harvey and Madsen will enter the transfer portal?

02-27-2021 10:28 AM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
Brannen will bring Vogt back if Chris wants it. I understand and appreciate that relationship. Again, you can't teach 7 foot but you can coach him to try to improve in some areas and on his strength. That said, I would think his role would be diminished to fewer minutes and to be more of a quality backup for depth purposes. Not a bad thing when you consider it would be year 3 for him under the Brannen system.

02-27-2021 10:29 AM
JFlight21 Offline
Heisman

Some guys just aren’t good enough to play t this level and Vogt fits in that group. He is who he is at this point. Find some 6’9 athlete to develop.

02-27-2021 10:34 AM
namrag Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-27-2021 10:08 AM)JFlight21 Wrote:  
(02-27-2021 12:24 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  Guessing we get a 3rd year of Vogt if he wants to work towards another degree with the few year.

I'm hoping Vogt only comes back if the staff absolutely strikes out on big men. We likely aren't a NCAA team next year but giving Vogt 20+ minutes only serves to marginalize Eason's and Lahkin's development.

Expecting Eason to play the 5 (Vogt’s position) would seem to be a disincentive for Eason to return.

From what I have heard Lahkin is a 4 as well.

So if they would be splitting minutes with Vogt at the 5 they would not be happy anyways.

02-27-2021 10:35 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

(02-27-2021 10:29 AM)UCGrad1992 Wrote:  Brannen will bring Vogt back if Chris wants it. I understand and appreciate that relationship. Again, you can't teach 7 foot but you can coach him to try to improve in some areas and on his strength. That said, I would think his role would be diminished to fewer minutes and to be more of a quality backup for depth purposes. Not a bad thing when you consider it would be year 3 for him under the Brannen system.

Year 5 if you count NKU. I think Vogt is valuable in certain matchups. If he comes back, hopefully it’s with the understanding there will be some nights where he sees little minutes. Games where he’s guarding guys with limited mobility/outside shooting, I’m fine with him playing 20-25 minutes if he’s protecting the rim and scoring in the post.

02-27-2021 10:41 AM
Advertisement

UCBearcatlawjd2 Offline
All American

I Root For: UC
I also think Vogt needs a pg, big, or wing that can get him buckets like Jarron and Tre did last year.

02-27-2021 10:44 AM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(02-27-2021 10:44 AM)UCBearcatlawjd2 Wrote:  I also think Vogt needs a pg, big, or wing that can get him buckets like Jarron and Tre did last year.

Ehh...it was more about the threat of stretching the floor IMO. The more 3s our guys start hitting, the better Vogt is going to look offensively. They were packing things in early, and that's why he could barely get a touch, let alone a bucket, but as the critical range of the opposing defense increases, you're going to see more opportunities for a guy like him (however, it's clear that the younger guys are transition ballers, and that game CLEARLY lends itself more towards Eason, so we'll see what philosophy ends up winning out).

02-27-2021 11:02 AM
eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(02-27-2021 10:28 AM)chatcat Wrote:  Any indication on whether Harvey and Madsen will enter the transfer portal?

DH didn't mention anything about Gabe but hinted that Harvey was unlikely to return.

02-27-2021 11:03 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
(02-27-2021 10:34 AM)JFlight21 Wrote:  Some guys just aren’t good enough to play t this level and Vogt fits in that group. He is who he is at this point. Find some 6’9 athlete to develop.

That's not true at all. He's had some really nice games the past couple years for a guy who didn't play much his first two years. Enough to be second team all league coming into the year. He's not been good this year, but he's also playing with a team of young guys who have not done a good job of getting him the ball, and also didn't shoot a lick early in the year. That's poison for big kid. If they shoot the ball well down the stretch he'll contribute more offensively if you get him the ball in good shape. His defense has been good particularly when the perimeter guys keep their man in front of them. The backcourt defense on this team at times has been atrocious.

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2021 11:10 AM by dsquare.)
02-27-2021 11:09 AM
Bear Catlett Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC
Everybody's ragging on Vogt, but therein lies the problem.

Who else do we got????? We just can't run down to the recruit store at the mall and pick up a 6'9" PF who's a rim protector.

What worries me is that the current staff seems better at losing players than procuring them. Guys don't seem to be beating a path to our door.

Now if Brannen goes out tomorrow and signs the next Gary Clark, then I'll be more than happy to recant my criticism. I'm just not seeing it.

02-27-2021 11:10 AM
Advertisement

Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
(02-27-2021 10:35 AM)namrag Wrote:  
(02-27-2021 10:08 AM)JFlight21 Wrote:  

Expecting Eason to play the 5 (Vogt’s position) would seem to be a disincentive for Eason to return.

From what I have heard Lahkin is a 4 as well.

So if they would be splitting minutes with Vogt at the 5 they would not be happy anyways.
Yup. We need bigs desperately and love him or hate him it's unlikely we find a 5 that can match Vogts level for next year. Maybe if we can find a promising freshman or a transfer with two years left, but I really doubt they have a whole lotta options here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

02-27-2021 11:15 AM
Cataclysmo Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Cincinnat
(02-27-2021 11:10 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Everybody's ragging on Vogt, but therein lies the problem.

Who else do we got????? We just can't run down to the recruit store at the mall and pick up a 6'9" PF who's a rim protector.

What worries me is that the current staff seems better at losing players than procuring them. Guys don't seem to be beating a path to our door.

Now if Brannen goes out tomorrow and signs the next Gary Clark, then I'll be more than happy to recant my criticism. I'm just not seeing it.
I think Tari has every chance to be as good as Gary Clark was here. Gary was more polished as a freshman but Eason's raw potential is obvious.

02-27-2021 11:17 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
(02-27-2021 11:17 AM)Cataclysmo Wrote:  
(02-27-2021 11:10 AM)Bear Catlett Wrote:  Everybody's ragging on Vogt, but therein lies the problem.

I think Tari has every chance to be as good as Gary Clark was here. Gary was more polished as a freshman but Eason's raw potential is obvious.

Agree, and i also think he's more of a 4 to begin with, particularly defensively.

02-27-2021 11:22 AM
Bearcat04 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: The CATS
We are currently 57th in the country in tempo. Big no on Vogt coming back. No more unathletic bigs!

I think the 2 and 5 are wide open for big minutes for impact transfers. Desperately need more 3pt shooting and a shot blocking big. Gabe is a huge x factor. He could be that instant offense wing that we need.

02-27-2021 11:35 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.