Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bengals 2021 off-season (free agency, draft, etc.)
Bookmark and Share
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

I Root For: Zinzinnati
Exclamation Bengals 2021 off-season (free agency, draft, etc.)

I'd be thrilled with adding Thuney and Williams (fwiw, Jay Morrison @ The Athletic was advocating similarly). It might even make me open to consider taking Chase over Sewell at #5 if we have our choice.

(This post was last modified: 04-24-2021 07:34 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
02-24-2021 02:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
RE: Bengals 2021 off-season (free agency, draft, etc.)
I think they take whoever is still there at #5 between Chase or Sewell. If Miami stays at #3, I think they take one or the other. If they are both still there, then your guess is as good as mine. I guess it depends on what they do in FA.

02-24-2021 10:29 AM
skylinecat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Bearcats
Wide receivers are a dime a dozen. Davanta Adams was a second rounder. Tyreek Hill a fifth rounder. Chris Godwin was a third rounder. Tee Higgins was a 2nd rounder and very good for us last season. The patriots won 7 superbowls without a star WR. Assuming everything checks out with Sewell, I think you take him all day. I've seen him compared to Orlando Pace. If you can get a guy that starts at left tackle for 10 seasons, you take that and never look back.

02-24-2021 11:15 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(02-24-2021 11:15 AM)skylinecat Wrote:  Wide receivers are a dime a dozen. Davanta Adams was a second rounder. Tyreek Hill a fifth rounder. Chris Godwin was a third rounder. Tee Higgins was a 2nd rounder and very good for us last season. The patriots won 7 superbowls without a star WR. Assuming everything checks out with Sewell, I think you take him all day. I've seen him compared to Orlando Pace. If you can get a guy that starts at left tackle for 10 seasons, you take that and never look back.

A dime a dozen is a bit much but I agree the the premise. If you look at the last 20+ years superstar WRs don't win the SB. Marvin Harrison was stats wise but I think that was a Manning creation. Julio would have without idiotic playcalling. But the best WRs of the last 20+ years mostly don't have championships.

That said it's such a passing dominated game the talent at WR is very important; but I just think it's more important to have a deep position group of good WRs vs having the superstar WR.

02-24-2021 12:20 PM
Tomcat Offline
1st String

I Root For:
Sign Thuney and Spain and draft Sewell and you got an well above average line. If Sewell is gone try and trade back a little so you can get Slater or Darrisaw and an extra 2nd rounder.

Sign and tag Jackson and Lawson and most of your $$$ are spent unless you dump Geno, Hart, Finney and few others.

Draft Dline and WR with both of your 2nd rounders and BPA after that.

Last, the money you saved with the cuts use for an extension for Bates.

(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 01:05 PM by Tomcat.)
02-24-2021 01:04 PM
UCGrad1992 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Bearcats U
(02-24-2021 01:04 PM)Tomcat Wrote:  Sign Thuney and Spain and draft Sewell and you got an well above average line. If Sewell is gone try and trade back a little so you can get Slater or Darrisaw and an extra 2nd rounder.

Yup. If your OL isn't up to snuff [low bar talent] then your skill positions and QB don't reach their full effectiveness. The Browns did a major upgrade on the OL both in FA and in the draft over the past two seasons and it paid off in spades this season. Look at Pitt and Baltimore over the years who have traditionally been strong on the OL too.

02-24-2021 02:34 PM
Advertisement

Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

Kinda interesting 3 round mock:

R1) JaMarr Chase WR LSU
R2) James Hudson OT UC
R3) Quincy Roche EDGE Miami

I could get behind this if we substantially address OL in free agency although I'm not sold on Roche (I like him but I'm not sure he's a fit for the Bengals).

(This post was last modified: 02-27-2021 06:34 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
02-27-2021 06:27 PM
Nobones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Cincinnati
(02-27-2021 06:27 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Kinda interesting 3 round mock:

R1) JaMarr Chase WR LSU
R2) James Hudson OT UC

I could get behind this if we substantially address OL in free agency although I'm not sold on Roche (I like him but I'm not sure he's a fit for the Bengals).

I would too. If they can get one of the top Tackles in free agency.

02-27-2021 06:56 PM
bearcatdp Offline
1st String

(02-27-2021 06:56 PM)Nobones Wrote:  
(02-27-2021 06:27 PM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  Kinda interesting 3 round mock:

R1) JaMarr Chase WR LSU
R2) James Hudson OT UC

I would too. If they can get one of the top Tackles in free agency.

Or a top guard - Hudson RT, williams LT, top guard free agent. Wouldn't be too bad.

02-27-2021 09:17 PM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I haven’t been following the Bengals off-season at all. But we will still have Higgins and Boyd at wide receiver next year, right? I know in today’s game, it’s nice to have three good receivers, but those two are pretty damn good, and young. I don’t see the need to draft a receiver in the first round.

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2021 11:43 AM by robertfoshizzle.)
02-28-2021 11:42 AM
robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

I’m sure Burrow would love to be reunited, but after getting his knee shredded, I bet even he would take the OL help over his old friend.

02-28-2021 11:48 AM
Advertisement

Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

(02-28-2021 11:42 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  I haven’t been following the Bengals off-season at all. But we will still have Higgins and Boyd at wide receiver next year, right? I know in today’s game, it’s nice to have three good receivers, but those two are pretty damn good, and young. I don’t see the need to draft a receiver in the first round.

(02-28-2021 11:48 AM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  I’m sure Burrow would love to be reunited, but after getting his knee shredded, I bet even he would take the OL help over his old friend.

I think it's pretty unanimous that the Bengals have to address the OL in free agency or in the draft (most likely both). But I think we really need to see who is coming and who is going via free agency before getting our final draft priorities. After that, it comes down to how you evaluate potential draftees. If you think Sewell is a once-a-decade type player, he's very hard to pass up no matter who we add in free agency. But not everybody feels that way. If you think he's a great prospect who still has a lot to prove in terms of experience and competition, you need to consider all your options.

Fwiw, PFF recently did a piece on the "best" prospects ever in their fairly short history (around the last 7 years) based solely upon their college evaluation (pro results weren't considered) by position. The top two tackles were Tunsil and Sewell (interesting to note that Jonah Williams was next as one of two honorable mentions.)

But before you make a call for Sewell (not to mention that's just pff's opinion) it's interesting to note that their top 2 WRs are JaMarr Chase and Amari Cooper. And even though I wouldn't take him at #5, Pitts is their #1 TE. (Btw, in case you were curious, their #1 QB is Lawrence, but Burrow gets the honorable mention slot.)

(This post was last modified: 02-28-2021 02:34 PM by Bearhawkeye.)
02-28-2021 02:31 PM
Cat-Man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
If you believe/agree with anything Geoff Hobson (Bengals.com) says, the biggest need in FA would be on defense:

Quote:If the Bengals sign anything high end, shouldn't it be on defense? I think you can make the argument that there are more holes on the defensive line when you look what's needed on the edge and inside.

And he doesn't think the Bengals would take a TE at #5:

Quote:The Bengals just use 11 personnel too much (three receivers and one tight end) to warrant such a high pick on a tight end. Plus, they don't have a history of taking tight ends until the 20s in the first round (Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert), and the teams that do go with tight ends high almost never get their bang for the buck. Plus, they're pleased with what C.J. Uzomah gives them in the pass game and No. 5 is a little rich for Pitts.

https://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-s-ch...vqEnppJiUw

03-01-2021 01:06 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

(03-01-2021 01:06 PM)Cat-Man Wrote:  If you believe/agree with anything Geoff Hobson (Bengals.com) says, the biggest need in FA would be on defense:

Quote:If the Bengals sign anything high end, shouldn't it be on defense? I think you can make the argument that there are more holes on the defensive line when you look what's needed on the edge and inside.

Yeah, outside of the occasional "sure thing" (Chase Young, Bosas, etc.) I think DL is the most hit/miss position in terms of the draft. And since there are no "sure things" in this draft, that's definitely a position I'd like to see addressed in free agency especially if they don't retain Carl Lawson and Geno (but who knows what to think about him). Similarly, we're going to have to sign WJ3 or his replacement at CB and of course an OL or two all in free agency. I'm not sure where the money is going to come to get them all done sufficiently going into the draft. Hopefully it's a buyer's market.

03-01-2021 03:40 PM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

03-11-2021 01:38 AM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(03-11-2021 01:38 AM)Bearhawkeye Wrote:  

Reuinion is officially on....twice a year. He signed a 3 year deal with the Ravens.

03-15-2021 07:07 AM
Advertisement

Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
(03-15-2021 07:07 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

Reuinion is officially on....twice a year. He signed a 3 year deal with the Ravens.

If I had the same choice I know which team I’d sign with.

03-15-2021 08:52 AM
Bearhawkeye Offline
The King of Breakfast

(03-15-2021 07:07 AM)rath v2.0 Wrote:  

Zeitler got $22M with $16M of it guaranteed. Daryl Williams was another "popular" pick idea to pair with the Bengals but he re-signed with the Bills.

On the other hand, quite a few more quality players have been cut due to cap issues with more likely to come today and tomorrow. So it's still shaping up as very much a buyer's market come Wednesday.

As I browse the OL market, a big unknown is how the Bengals will factor age into the equation. Most of the best proven available talent is over 30 and not all of them are going to be Whitworths.

(This post was last modified: 03-15-2021 11:18 AM by Bearhawkeye.)
03-15-2021 11:17 AM
RealDeal Offline
Heisman

I don't have much confidence in the Bengals in free agency but with the cap going down unexpectedly there's a huge supply of players who got cut from their teams and not nearly as much available money out there. The Bengals are going to get some guys in free agency; even they can't screw this situation up.

03-15-2021 12:59 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
(03-15-2021 12:59 PM)RealDeal Wrote:  I don't have much confidence in the Bengals in free agency but with the cap going down unexpectedly there's a huge supply of players who got cut from their teams and not nearly as much available money out there. The Bengals are going to get some guys in free agency; even they can't screw this situation up.

I’ll take the over on that, please. Lol

You know they called Zeitler and offered him about 1/3 of the guaranteed $$ and then wondered why his agent never called back.

03-15-2021 01:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.