Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TK's Comments Tonight
Bookmark and Share
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
TK's Comments Tonight
On his Radio Coaches Show tonight, TK had the following comments:

The team did not panic after their two game losing streak and just got after it in practice to clean up the mistakes they made against Ball St and BG. He felt that they did not play well at Ball St but did play well against BG and gave the Falcons credit again for playing an excellent game.

Mentioned that the team likes the challenge of being the hunted and not the hunter.

He continues to praise his senior captains (Jackson and Littleson) about how they are leading the team and setting examples for the other guys.

While he talked about Jackson’s key plays down the stretch against Buffalo being a factor in the win, he also mentioned that S. Milner’s taking the ball to the basket aggressively played a huge part in the victory as well.

He’s changing this bye week up from the one two weeks ago and instead of taking their usual Tuesday game day off, he is having the team scrimmage as he wants them to work on countering recent opponents defensive strategy of picking up Toledo’s offense further out.

Talked about recruiting in regards to Toledo getting a great response from recruits who see Toledo as a possible destination for them because of this season’s success as well as liking the Rocket’s up style of offense.

He said while allowing seniors an extra year of eligibility next season due to COVID is a positive thing, he mentioned that it could also hurt the development of freshmen players or those younger players who were expecting to play more minutes next season. He confirmed again that both Jackson and Littleson will not be returning for an extra year.

In talking about Jackson’s great 4 year run at Toledo, he stressed that "his legacy" will be defined over the coming weeks!
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2021 07:38 PM by Basketball Jones.)
02-22-2021 07:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Sleepy Offline
1st String

RE: TK's Comments Tonight
In the meantime Verbal Commits posts that Rockets have offered Emmanuel Little, a Sr transfer from Southern Indiana U.

"Though he's been at USI for four years, the NCAA is allowing athletes whose careers were affected by the COVID-19 pandemic to play an extra year to fulfill eligibility."

"The Division II preseason All-American had climbed the school record books in both scoring and rebounding. In the team's 10 games this season, he was averaging 14.4 points and 8.2 rebounds -- good for the second-highest mark on the team in both categories. He leaves the USI program eighth all-time in scoring (1,313), fifth in rebounds (797) and fourth in double-doubles (24)."

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sport...268737001/
02-22-2021 10:05 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-22-2021 10:05 PM)Sleepy Wrote:  In the meantime Verbal Commits posts that Rockets have offered Emmanuel Little, a Sr transfer from Southern Indiana U.

"Though he's been at USI for four years, the NCAA is allowing athletes whose careers were affected by the COVID-19 pandemic to play an extra year to fulfill eligibility."

"The Division II preseason All-American had climbed the school record books in both scoring and rebounding. In the team's 10 games this season, he was averaging 14.4 points and 8.2 rebounds -- good for the second-highest mark on the team in both categories. He leaves the USI program eighth all-time in scoring (1,313), fifth in rebounds (797) and fourth in double-doubles (24)."

interesting. verbal commits usually doesn't list offers to transfers unless they are signing with that school, but this is no guarantee. Little is a muscular forward at 6-6 with a grown man look to him. all conference player at the D2 level like Shumate, whose success at UT certainly makes other smaller college transfers take note. Little was a team captain but also was benched for 2 games for "disciplinary reasons". if Little was to come to UT he'd be the only senior (eligibility wise) on the roster.
02-23-2021 04:22 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo
Pono our expert disagrees but I still feel DI is making mistakes is not going harder after Mangas. I'll grant he doesn't look like a b-ball player but I've not seen anyone out run him. He's a thinker and gets a half-step off anticipation. 70% FG% can't be snarfed at, he just knows where to be so a teammate can get a pass to him in scoring position. There's a lot of "talent" that doesn't have that skill. He's played and beaten top large division schools and players, regularly. Lima area b-ball in general is no joke and he's top of that game. Fulcher at BG is one of the top Freshmen in the league. Mangas has shown himself his equal or better.

One other thing, at best anecdotal because it only happens a few times in a game. Watching his reaction when the other team takes an outside shot. While the ball is still mid arc, he seems to know whether to run in for RB or just head up court. Again, not something every "talent" can do reliably.

I don't know his off the court, maybe there's something holding him back there but from what I see on the court, I think he has every potential Littleson had at that age. He's coachable. Not lazy. Knows the game. And can shoot. I hope the kid gets' a solid D1 chance. At least in the MAC or Horizon. I hope that doesn't bite us in the butt.
02-23-2021 07:32 AM
WHRocket Offline
2nd String

(02-23-2021 04:22 AM)pono Wrote:  
(02-22-2021 10:05 PM)Sleepy Wrote:  In the meantime Verbal Commits posts that Rockets have offered Emmanuel Little, a Sr transfer from Southern Indiana U.

interesting. verbal commits usually doesn't list offers to transfers unless they are signing with that school, but this is no guarantee. Little is a muscular forward at 6-6 with a grown man look to him. all conference player at the D2 level like Shumate, whose success at UT certainly makes other smaller college transfers take note. Little was a team captain but also was benched for 2 games for "disciplinary reasons". if Little was to come to UT he'd be the only senior (eligibility wise) on the roster.

Since we only have 12 scholarship players now, could he transfer in now? Don’t know the rules for Division 2 transfers. Could he be depth for this year?
02-23-2021 07:37 AM
DetroitRocket Online
Heisman

I Root For:
I hope this doesn't mean that we are no longer recruiting Mike Corcoana the 6-11 Romanian kid who is an absolute stud. His other offers aren't that great, but on tape he is very impressive.
02-23-2021 07:48 AM
Advertisement

FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(02-23-2021 07:48 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  I hope this doesn't mean that we are no longer recruiting Mike Corcoana the 6-11 Romanian kid who is an absolute stud. His other offers aren't that great, but on tape he is very impressive.

Either him or the Italian kid (Giovanni Emejuru 6-10 245) would be nice...
Maranka or Komagum will probably leave... Possibly both, but if given the choice, I think Komagum is more beneficial to the program ...
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021 09:06 AM by FMRocket.)
02-23-2021 08:57 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

yeah, I don't know. I think that kid could benefit from some ballet classes. He seems a little awkward on his feet. I think coaches will measure his learning curve, how well he can learn the game to match his physical potential. Hopefully it works out for both of them.
02-23-2021 11:59 AM
Sleepy Offline
1st String

TK appears to be all in on finding the best basketball players he can regardless of size or position.
02-23-2021 12:27 PM
PrettyGoodRocket Offline
Special Teams

(02-23-2021 12:27 PM)Sleepy Wrote:  TK appears to be all in on finding the best basketball players he can regardless of size or position.

This. I think TK is looking for the best possible players he can find, and then figuring out possible rotations, lineups, etc. Whether that be small ball, or more of a traditional look, I don't think he cares as long as he gets his guys.
02-23-2021 01:24 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(02-23-2021 07:32 AM)eastisbest Wrote:  Pono our expert disagrees but I still feel DI is making mistakes is not going harder after Mangas. I'll grant he doesn't look like a b-ball player but I've not seen anyone out run him. He's a thinker and gets a half-step off anticipation. 70% FG% can't be snarfed at, he just knows where to be so a teammate can get a pass to him in scoring position. There's a lot of "talent" that doesn't have that skill. He's played and beaten top large division schools and players, regularly. Lima area b-ball in general is no joke and he's top of that game. Fulcher at BG is one of the top Freshmen in the league. Mangas has shown himself his equal or better.

One other thing, at best anecdotal because it only happens a few times in a game. Watching his reaction when the other team takes an outside shot. While the ball is still mid arc, he seems to know whether to run in for RB or just head up court. Again, not something every "talent" can do reliably.

I don't know his off the court, maybe there's something holding him back there but from what I see on the court, I think he has every potential Littleson had at that age. He's coachable. Not lazy. Knows the game. And can shoot. I hope the kid gets' a solid D1 chance. At least in the MAC or Horizon. I hope that doesn't bite us in the butt.

A HS friend who was sports editor for a major city newspaper also isn’t high on Mangas. My thought is similar to yours, east. Smart kid who has proved himself against top talent. Maybe a larger Burson or a Littleson- hard worker which usually translates into good defender. You don’t score 30+ per game by accident. Of course, he plays for Shawnee so I may be biased.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021 02:50 PM by H2Oville Rocket.)
02-23-2021 02:49 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

I went into my tape watching thinking I was going to be watching a scooter. I hadn't realized Mangas was 6'5". Whatever coaches feel he's missing, just seeing the positives I would think they would want to see what they could mold. We've got a couple, one even getting game time that can only be described as projects. How is this not a challenge to a coach? He doesn't appear to have an team issues. They keep passing him the ball. He's not hogging it.

Complete mystery to me. That's a pretty solid league there. Always has been. Ran fits of Jimmy Jackson's Macomber team. Produced some state champs. I need to try and dig up a Lima Senior game from the other day. I've only seen clips of last year in which he fared no differently than in a game against Kenton. They did lose to Findlay this year, maybe that's a tape to watch. Now I'm on a crusade to find out what's wrong with the kid, lol.

Watched Findlay-Shawnee. Findlay has beaten eveyone in the TRAC, so one of the better teams in the area but they have lost to three teams Shawnee has beaten. Down 13 at the half Findlays Roth just started to have a game... once that pulled Shawnee's players to the perimeter they were open up the middle. Good game to watch. But it wasn't on Mangas. He made some nice assists. Per usual was where he needed to be to receive the ball. And his shot, any shot, any position goes up in a blink. He gets it with his back to the basket. Blink. He gets it on rotation Blink. He could maybe be more aggressive on post defense. PROBABLY didn't help that his Dad got kicked out of the gym......
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021 04:59 PM by eastisbest.)
02-23-2021 04:27 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
My 2 cent

Mangus: doesn't impress me that much on tape, but is productive in a good league so may surpass expectations. Doesn't seem to have D1 offers even though he is at a school that recruiters know, which says something. Not rooting for him to get overlooked, might be a good story if he surprises, but I got no problem taking Farmer over him. All the speculation is entertaining so East feel free to keep being his agent.

Emejeru: Has an NBA ready body now. Doesn't have a lot of skill or experience. Isn't considered among England's elite U-18 prospects. If he learns how to play whatever mid-major signs him will win laughing, but the likelihood is more Milo Kirsch.

Corcoana: I saw a little tape on him and thought he was ok. Pretty solid frame and decent skills, a little clunky. TK usually hits on big guy recruits, and has a knack for seeing skill where others might see chubby or slow, so I'm a little intrigued.

Little: Can't find any recent video but from pics and articles: Grown man, experienced, productive at D2 level, team captain, 6-6 but has that power forward build lots of rocket fans have been wanting. On a side note he survived 2 gunshots wounds at close range a few years ago. Was at a house party when a couple guys tried to crash it and he apparently stepped in to mediate.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 03:35 AM by pono.)
02-24-2021 03:34 AM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(02-24-2021 03:34 AM)pono Wrote:  .. On a side note he survived 2 gunshots wounds at close range a few years ago. Was at a house party when a couple guys tried to crash it and he apparently stepped in to mediate.

Not even close to a UT record, though. Williams (first name eludes me) from Scott survived something like seven prior to coming to UT.
02-24-2021 07:27 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-24-2021 03:34 AM)pono Wrote:  My 2 cent

Mangus: doesn't impress me that much on tape, but is productive in a good league so may surpass expectations. Doesn't seem to have D1 offers even though he is at a school that recruiters know, which says something. Not rooting for him to get overlooked, might be a good story if he surprises, but I got no problem taking Farmer over him. All the speculation is entertaining so East feel free to keep being his agent.

Presuming a person with an opposing POV has an agenda (agent) as opposed to an unbiased observation of a player they do not even know, is tantamount to admitting you have nothing in your shorts to counter. I provided specifics. I'm sure we would all benefit if you did the same. Care to try again and give something with a little less snark and a little more substance? It will be respected. "Doesn't impress" lacks a little depth. 03-wink

I'd be very interested in knowing what the experts are finding lacking in this kid. Like most here, I've seen many who went to D1, high D1 and were very successful. I cannot figure what they are not seeing here.

Does anyone know, did Shumate have an offer from us out of Newark, or from anyone in D1.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2021 07:36 AM by eastisbest.)
02-24-2021 07:33 AM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

Shumate had ZERO D1 offers coming out of high school.
02-24-2021 08:20 AM
Advertisement

PrettyGoodRocket Offline
Special Teams

(02-24-2021 08:20 AM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Shumate had ZERO D1 offers coming out of high school.

Which continually blows my mind, not a single offer from a school in the American East, Ohio Valley, ASun, all of those conferences and more have teams that would utilize him, likely in a large role. Happy he ended up here though.
02-24-2021 10:22 AM
rkt Offline
2nd String

I Root For: toledo
(02-24-2021 07:27 AM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(02-24-2021 03:34 AM)pono Wrote:  .. On a side note he survived 2 gunshots wounds at close range a few years ago. Was at a house party when a couple guys tried to crash it and he apparently stepped in to mediate.

Not even close to a UT record, though. Williams (first name eludes me) from Scott survived something like seven prior to coming to UT.

It was Scoop Williams and he got shot once ... in the ass. His daughter is one of the best players in the WNBA, although I’m not sure what that has to do with getting shot in the ass. :)
02-24-2021 08:40 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-23-2021 08:57 AM)FMRocket Wrote:  
(02-23-2021 07:48 AM)DetroitRocket Wrote:  I hope this doesn't mean that we are no longer recruiting Mike Corcoana the 6-11 Romanian kid who is an absolute stud. His other offers aren't that great, but on tape he is very impressive.

Maranka or Komagum will probably leave... Possibly both, but if given the choice, I think Komagum is more beneficial to the program ...
I thought we offered some 6'11" kid from Iceland?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
02-24-2021 09:16 PM
Sleepy Offline
1st String

(02-24-2021 09:16 PM)emanoh Wrote:  
(02-23-2021 08:57 AM)FMRocket Wrote:  

I thought we offered some 6'11" kid from Iceland?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The "kid from Iceland" is a lanky 6'7" sharpshooter and looks to be a primarily perimeter player.
02-24-2021 10:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.