Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Recruiting
Bookmark and Share
ez272 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Little Rock
Recruiting
If everybody on scholarship now takes advantage of their extra year of eligibility are we done with recruiting. The signing of Walker and Speaker put us at 13. Or would the 3 seniors we have now just be bonus players if they come back. Coupet is a RS senior and I believe he had 3 years of eligibility left when he came here. He has played 2.
02-22-2021 11:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UALR
RE: Recruiting
(02-22-2021 11:28 AM)ez272 Wrote:  If everybody on scholarship now takes advantage of their extra year of eligibility are we done with recruiting. The signing of Walker and Speaker put us at 13. Or would the 3 seniors we have now just be bonus players if they come back. Coupet is a RS senior and I believe he had 3 years of eligibility left when he came here. He has played 2.

I don't know how all this will work, but I tend to doubt that our seniors will be back.
02-22-2021 12:17 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

(02-22-2021 12:17 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(02-22-2021 11:28 AM)ez272 Wrote:  If everybody on scholarship now takes advantage of their extra year of eligibility are we done with recruiting. The signing of Walker and Speaker put us at 13. Or would the 3 seniors we have now just be bonus players if they come back. Coupet is a RS senior and I believe he had 3 years of eligibility left when he came here. He has played 2.

I don't know how all this will work, but I tend to doubt that our seniors will be back.

Looks like you were right and we have three more scholarships to fill. The first day to sign is April 14.
03-01-2021 11:13 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

How do you know I was right? Did anyone announce anything or are you just going by they fact that they were honored on Senior Day? I don't think that necessarily means anything. This whole thing is a mess for coaches and high school seniors. I believe the returning seniors can be "additional" scholarships which is fine for big-time programs with money to spare. Having extra players on scholarship won't be that easy for our budget. However, this could help some mid-majors, the most, because when players stay 4 years (and now maybe 5) at big-time programs it is usually because they are not all that great. In other words, the good ones leave after 2 or 3 years (or they are one and dones).

Looking at our 3 seniors, I don't think it is likely that any of them will be back. No doubt Ruot and Ben could play in Europe. I doubt another year would make either an NBA prospect. Admir showed me enough, these last few games, that I wouldn't mind having him back. I still think it is most likely that he could find a place to play for money in Eastern Europe. I really have not interacted with any of these guys, so don't know if getting a "free" year of graduate school is something they would be interested in. I think that would be the only thing that would keep them here.
03-01-2021 12:24 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I am not clear if seniors can choose to transfer and still get an "extra" year. If they can, that could be a way for us to rebuild quickly for next year. There are certainly seniors at some big-time schools, who could be major contributors at our level, but know they will be "replaced" by 4/5 star freshman if they stay where they are. While not currently elite programs, our best bets might be Georgetown and Memphis, where Darrell's friends are coaching. Another possibility might be senior, who is originally from Arkansas, but is playing out of State.

If the one time transfer rule passes, all hell will break loose, and there is no telling what our roster will look like next season. I think it will be terrible for midmajors as we will simply become farm teams for the big-time schools. On the other hand, we will likely be able to attract guys who are sitting on the bench at Power 5 schools. So schools like us would just have to "adapt". The days of finding a "diamond in the rough" who you develop into a great player are likely history. Will be interesting to see what Norchad Omier, at ASU, does because I believe he is clearly a big-time player.
03-01-2021 12:39 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

Yes, just going by senior day activities. I thought maybe Admir would come back. Who knows? Not me.
03-01-2021 01:19 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

Based on information (I would call it a rumor at this point), I got at the baseball game today, we will have plenty of spots to fill for next year. I got the impression we will have a lot more players leaving then staying. I apologize for not being able to be more specific then that. I guess the rumor doesn't surprise me as I think most of us believed their was a lot of discontent in the locker room. Still it is possible that a tournament championship could heal a lot of the unhappiness.

By the way, excellent baseball game today. Absolutely perfect weather and a 5-3 victory over UCA.
03-03-2021 08:32 PM
since74 Offline
Water Engineer

(03-03-2021 08:32 PM)mjs Wrote:  Based on information (I would call it a rumor at this point), I got at the baseball game today, we will have plenty of spots to fill for next year. I got the impression we will have a lot more players leaving then staying. I apologize for not being able to be more specific then that. I guess the rumor doesn't surprise me as I think most of us believed their was a lot of discontent in the locker room. Still it is possible that a tournament championship could heal a lot of the unhappiness.

By the way, excellent baseball game today. Absolutely perfect weather and a 5-3 victory over UCA.

My only question about your rumor is why the source of the rumor would possibly tell the person who passed it along to you.
03-04-2021 05:37 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-04-2021 05:37 PM)since74 Wrote:  
(03-03-2021 08:32 PM)mjs Wrote:  Based on information (I would call it a rumor at this point), I got at the baseball game today, we will have plenty of spots to fill for next year. I got the impression we will have a lot more players leaving then staying. I apologize for not being able to be more specific then that. I guess the rumor doesn't surprise me as I think most of us believed their was a lot of discontent in the locker room. Still it is possible that a tournament championship could heal a lot of the unhappiness.

My only question about your rumor is why the source of the rumor would possibly tell the person who passed it along to you.

As you know, the original source is a good one. Why he would pass this information along, I don't know. My best guess would be that he had the sense that this information was already in the public domain.
03-04-2021 06:06 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

(03-04-2021 06:06 PM)mjs Wrote:  
(03-04-2021 05:37 PM)since74 Wrote:  

As you know, the original source is a good one. Why he would pass this information along, I don't know. My best guess would be that he had the sense that this information was already in the public domain.

Did your source say the players are leaving on their own free will or because Coach wants their scholarships?
03-05-2021 12:22 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

No. But I have no reason to believe the coaching staff would want them to leave.
03-05-2021 01:37 PM
Advertisement

ez272 Offline
1st String

I hear Admir has not decided yet what he will do, so he might be back. I would welcome him back. Why would the coaching staff want them to leave, because what we have right now can't compete for a title. And we have one scholarship player that has played in only 2 games in 2 years because of a foot injury.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2021 03:34 PM by ez272.)
03-05-2021 03:32 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-05-2021 03:32 PM)ez272 Wrote:  I hear Admir has not decided yet what he will do, so he might be back. I would welcome him back. Why would the coaching staff want them to leave, because what we have right now can't compete for a title. And we have one scholarship player that has played in only 2 games in 2 years because of a foot injury.

I'd like Admir back based on what I have seen the past few games. I hope he wants to further his education- that is the main goal for many of the foreign athletes.
03-05-2021 03:44 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

It is unfortunate we could not beat App. State. We need some players that can make a difference. If that means cutting some loose, so be it. I will say this, losing Kamani Johnson was bigger than I thought it would be. He is a very good player that I think can play in the SEC.
03-05-2021 11:15 PM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

I agree losing Kamani hurt. But, we completely lost our "swagger" once Markquis walked out. He could win games for us almost single handedly. Of course, he could shoot us out of them as well.
03-05-2021 11:21 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

(03-05-2021 11:21 PM)mjs Wrote:  I agree losing Kamani hurt. But, we completely lost our "swagger" once Markquis walked out. He could win games for us almost single handedly. Of course, he could shoot us out of them as well.

We finished the season 11-15. Nowell did not play in, what, 10 games. Which of the games did he win single handedly this year? Yes, he won a lot of games single handedly LAST YEAR. What happened?
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2021 11:44 PM by ez272.)
03-05-2021 11:42 PM
Advertisement

mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-05-2021 11:42 PM)ez272 Wrote:  
(03-05-2021 11:21 PM)mjs Wrote:  I agree losing Kamani hurt. But, we completely lost our "swagger" once Markquis walked out. He could win games for us almost single handedly. Of course, he could shoot us out of them as well.

We finished the season 11-15. Nowell did not play in, what, 10 games. Which of the games did he win single handedly this year?

I don't have the energy to check that out at the moment. I was likely thinking of some of his "crazy" shots that led to wins last year. I always felt like we had a "chance" with him on the court. We don't get many players like him in Little Rock. Don't know if you go back to the days of Carl Brown and James Scott. But, of course, you do remember Josh Hagins (at least, his last season in LR).
03-05-2021 11:46 PM
ez272 Offline
1st String

Stevie Moore, Andre Jones ... seems like we have had our fair share.
03-06-2021 12:05 AM
mjs Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-06-2021 12:05 AM)ez272 Wrote:  Stevie Moore, Andre Jones ... seems like we have had our fair share.

Nick Zachary, Carlos Rogers. Of course, it seems like a lot of our good ones get run off.
03-06-2021 12:09 AM
ez272 Offline
1st String

(03-06-2021 12:09 AM)mjs Wrote:  
(03-06-2021 12:05 AM)ez272 Wrote:  Stevie Moore, Andre Jones ... seems like we have had our fair share.

Nick Zachary, Carlos Rogers. Of course, it seems like a lot of our good ones get run off.

Was Carlos run off? I would definitely put Nick in the "bad attitude" category.
03-06-2021 12:17 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.