Let’s Go Back In Time
02-21-2021 08:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

I Root For: EMU
Let’s Go Back In Time
Great video. Those were some fun times. It would be awesome if we could get a sniff of that again.
02-21-2021 08:36 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
RE: Let’s Go Back In Time
Thanks for posting. That was my freshman year, and I practically lived at the fieldhouse. Goodness that was fun.

I’ll never forget how I felt after beating Duke.
02-21-2021 09:05 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
I have lived through TWO such episodes of mid-major miracles, that year (1995-96) and the 2006 George Mason Final Four miracle.

We lost Gary Waters within a week of the Duke win. Then lost Braun after the Cal coach got fired for NCAA violations.

Unfortunately after 1998 for EMU we have never been back.

Mason lost their head coach Jim Larranaga to Miami (FL) in a case more of ill will between the HC and AD. Mason has been ordinary since.

This is what typically happens in mid-major hoops. UB is the latest example. Oats left for greener pastures.
(This post was last modified: 02-21-2021 10:33 PM by emu steve.)
02-21-2021 10:29 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

It's almost like they are playing a completely different sport at a completely different university. For the same reason Duke should never leave Cameron Indoor Stadium, EMU should have NEVER left Bowen. What a unique and special time.
02-22-2021 09:00 AM
Advertisement

Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(02-21-2021 10:29 PM)emu steve Wrote:  I have lived through TWO such episodes of mid-major miracles, that year (1995-96) and the 2006 George Mason Final Four miracle.

We lost Gary Waters within a week of the Duke win. Then lost Braun after the Cal coach got fired for NCAA violations.

Unfortunately after 1998 for EMU we have never been back.

Mason lost their head coach Jim Larranaga to Miami (FL) in a case more of ill will between the HC and AD. Mason has been ordinary since.

This is what typically happens in mid-major hoops. UB is the latest example. Oats left for greener pastures.
The bigger miracle was the Sweet Sixteen year, 1991-92. Talk about pandemonium. 1987-88 wasn't bad either. Ben Braun has proven to be a miracle worker.
02-22-2021 09:02 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
EMU hit the lottery with Braun. However for every winning ticket there are many losing tickets.
02-22-2021 09:12 AM
Advertisement

KPJ Offline
1st String

I’m not sure which was better, the highlights or the transition graphics.
02-22-2021 10:31 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(02-22-2021 10:31 AM)KPJ Wrote:  I’m not sure which was better, the highlights or the transition graphics.
The graphics were impressive.
02-22-2021 10:39 AM
Advertisement

EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
I had already graduated at that time, but look at the talent during those years? As my nickname tells you the glory years of football and basketball! We had Neely, Kennedy, Thomas twins, Dial, Boykins, Wilson, Head, etc......other then Lee, JTIV, we've not seen talent even close to that Era! Those videos is why 100000 percent EARL BOYKINS needs to be the next head coach! He can sell the dream of look I won MAC championships, played in the NCAA tournament, played in the NBA, and I came out E Michigan basketball! No one else can sell that period! He has a good job at Arkansas though! Remember we've not gone dancing in 24 years.........I never realized, or appreciated how fortunate I was to go to Rynearson stadium and see 18,000 fans at every game, or Bowen field house packed to capacity, standing room only, and I remember for the big games, scalpers selling tickets above face value! It was a very special time! Bob Wickersham, and the WoodenNickle definitely remember! We had a huge homecourt advantage at Bowen field house! 5800 fans packed on top off the court! Thanks for sharing that video!
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2021 02:32 PM by EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's.)
02-22-2021 02:27 PM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

(02-22-2021 02:27 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  I had already graduated at that time, but look at the talent during those years? As my nickname tells you the glory years of football and basketball! We had Neely, Kennedy, Thomas twins, Dial, Boykins, Wilson, Head, etc......other then Lee, JTIV, we've not seen talent even close to that Era! Those videos is why 100000 percent EARL BOYKINS needs to be the next head coach! He can sell the dream of look I won MAC championships, played in the NCAA tournament, played in the NBA, and I came out E Michigan basketball! No one else can sell that period! He has a good job at Arkansas though! Remember we've not gone dancing in 24 years.........I never realized, or appreciated how fortunate I was to go to Rynearson stadium and see 18,000 fans at every game, or Bowen field house packed to capacity, standing room only, and I remember for the big games, scalpers selling tickets above face value! It was a very special time! Bob Wickersham, and the WoodenNickle definitely remember! We had a huge homecourt advantage at Bowen field house! 5800 fans packed on top off the court! Thanks for sharing that video!
Absolutely. Great post. Don't forget about Kory Hallas, Brian Tolbert, and Theron Wilson. Even our non iconic teams still had a Kareem Carpenter, Maurice Brantley, Howard Chambers, etc. Ypsilanti was the place to be in MAC basketball and the other MAC teams had great players too. So much better than today's product. *You mentioned Wilson--boy he was a beast. He was heavily recruited too*
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2021 07:40 PM by Bob Wickersham.)
02-22-2021 07:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.