Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

News Harvard researchers claim COVID-19 wouldn't have been so bad if US paid reparations
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
Harvard researchers claim COVID-19 wouldn't have been so bad if US paid reparations
Quote:Researchers at Harvard Medical School claim that reparations could have slashed coronavirus transmission by as much as 68 percent in Louisiana, had minority American households received as much as $850,000 each prior to the pandemic.

A group of scholars led by Dr. Eugene Richardson and Dr. Momin Malik looked at differences in frontline work and overcrowded housing by race and used it to compare Louisiana, a racially and socioeconomically diverse state, with South Korea, a more racially and economically homogenous country. Their peer-reviewed study was published by the academic journal Social Science & Medicine.

The authors proposed a "reparations plan" for descendants of slaves in the amounts of $800,000 per household or $250,000 per person, which they claim could have lessened the spread of coronavirus by helping eliminate the racial wealth gap. Though most proposals for reparations have generally been limited to the descendants of people enslaved in the United States, the researchers wrote:

"All Black Americans, both those descended from persons enslaved in the US and those who are recent immigrants to the US, have a moral claim to reparations for the effects of ongoing systemic racism."

The CDC has observed that rates of infection, hospitalization, and fatality due to COVID-19 are higher among Black people than Caucasians, Hispanics, and Asian Americans.

The researchers posit that overcrowded housing and frontline work may be driving higher transmission rates of the virus, but it's unclear whether the researchers factored in obesity or smoking, both of which are risk factors for severe coronavirus disease. More than 35 percent of adults in Louisiana are obese, according to the CDC, compared with just 4 percent of South Korean adults.

According to the authors, "reparations that allow people to not need frontline jobs would both spread the risk of these jobs across the population, and may also lead to overall higher wages and better working conditions in frontline work — if people are not forced to take such work out of desperation, especially during a pandemic, then wages and benefits would reflect the risk of these jobs."

The paper also claims that the reproduction rate, the number of new infections that stem from one confirmed case of the virus, "may be more justly described as a form of symbolic violence," because it does not often include "oppressive social forces like institutionalized racism and sexism" which may require an individual to have more exposure to others.

Neither of the lead researchers responded to a request for comment.

Link

It’s been proven time after time, if you flood money into a culture that is poor, that money will eventually wind up in the hands of the rich and the poor will still be poor.
02-19-2021 06:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
RE: Harvard researchers claim COVID-19 wouldn't have been so bad if US paid reparations
How can these people NOT realize how stupid the crap they say is?
02-19-2021 07:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
olliebaba Online
Legend

I Root For: Christ
RE: Harvard researchers claim COVID-19 wouldn't have been so bad if US paid reparations
This is from Harvard? Like the US now Harvard isn't what it was before. Maybe stupid is the new norm.
02-19-2021 07:29 PM
BatonRougeEscapee Offline
1st String

I Root For: GEAUX TIGERS &
I'm starting to identify as black more each day. Going to make sure I get my spot in line for the free money
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021 07:53 PM by BatonRougeEscapee.)
02-19-2021 07:52 PM
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
Harvtards
02-19-2021 07:59 PM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
If we had paid reparations the way I would consider doing it, perhaps so.

The purpose of reparations is to put you back in the place that you would have been if someone hadn't done the dirty deed to you. If the slave ships had not brought their ancestors to the USA, then the place they would have been is Africa. So if you're willing to give up your USA citizenship and return to Africa, then we can discuss reparations. So there would have been fewer people here to catch COVID-19, and thus presumably fewer infections and deaths.
02-19-2021 08:07 PM
450bench Offline

I Root For: Memphis
Harvard is the new university of Phoenix
02-19-2021 11:11 PM
TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
Harvard has plenty of money in it's endowment(s). Let them pay the 'reparations'
02-20-2021 10:11 AM
TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(02-19-2021 08:07 PM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  If we had paid reparations the way I would consider doing it, perhaps so.

The purpose of reparations is to put you back in the place that you would have been if someone hadn't done the dirty deed to you. If the slave ships had not brought their ancestors to the USA, then the place they would have been is Africa. So if you're willing to give up your USA citizenship and return to Africa, then we can discuss reparations. So there would have been fewer people here to catch COVID-19, and thus presumably fewer infections and deaths.

Reparations should be sought from the SELLERS not the buyers.
02-20-2021 10:12 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.