Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Humbolt State University wants to become a 3rd Cal Poly
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Humbolt State University wants to become a 3rd Cal Poly
https://thepolypost.com/news/2021/02/15/...lytechnic/

This realignment makes a lot of sense. Rural directionals (which HSU basically is) are seeing declining enrollments as the demographic shift is away from non-elite residential schools. To survive directionals need to specialize. Also California has an artificial shortage of residential seats at UC schools and a shortage of STEM seats due to a combination of institutional resistance to changing to meet market needs and the policy of selling seats to foreign students at UC schools, and they dominate the STEM majors, as those are the seats they demand in exchange for their full ticket payments.

This statement from Humboldt State's ASI VP sums up that market opportunity:

“I know that some of the different kinds of polytechnic majors, at (San Luis Obispo) and Pomona, that not all students can get into them because there are some barriers or limitations,” said Capps. “Because they are so popular and in such great demand, we have the opportunity to potentially help and to accept some of those, as well as to be able to offer some degree programs that perhaps align really well with being in the North Coast.”

.... not a sports realignment, but a more important institutional realignment.
02-19-2021 02:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

joeben69 Online
1st String

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd
RE: Humbolt State University wants to become a 3rd Cal Poly
(02-19-2021 02:59 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  https://thepolypost.com/news/2021/02/15/...lytechnic/

This realignment makes a lot of sense. Rural directionals (which HSU basically is) are seeing declining enrollments as the demographic shift is away from non-elite residential schools. To survive directionals need to specialize. Also California has an artificial shortage of residential seats at UC schools and a shortage of STEM seats due to a combination of institutional resistance to changing to meet market needs and the policy of selling seats to foreign students at UC schools, and they dominate the STEM majors, as those are the seats they demand in exchange for their full ticket payments.

“I know that some of the different kinds of polytechnic majors, at (San Luis Obispo) and Pomona, that not all students can get into them because there are some barriers or limitations,” said Capps. “Because they are so popular and in such great demand, we have the opportunity to potentially help and to accept some of those, as well as to be able to offer some degree programs that perhaps align really well with being in the North Coast.”

cal poly humboldt (cph)...i like it!!!

it make sense to have a cal poly in each third of CA...
cal poly pomona =====> southern CA
cal poly san luis obispo => central CA
cal poly humboldt =====> northern CA
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021 04:48 AM by joeben69.)
02-19-2021 04:00 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
I do think that Cal Poly should have a seperate system away from Cal State. As large a state as California? They only have like 2 systems unlike the states of Texas and Florida. Arkansas have like 3 systems with UA, Arkansas State and Arkansas Tech, no other schools have branches in the state.
02-19-2021 05:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DawgNBama Offline
the Rush Limbaugh of CSNBBS

I Root For: conservativism/MAGA
(02-19-2021 02:59 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  https://thepolypost.com/news/2021/02/15/...lytechnic/

I have been out to that area before!!!! That would be very good for Humboldt and the northern part of California. Out there, your college choices are U of Oregon, Southern Oregon U., and the Oregon Institute of Technology, but you are looking at hefty out of state tuition. So good for Humboldt State!!!

Edit: forgot about Simpson College/University, but it's a private school and therefore, very expensive!!
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021 05:59 AM by DawgNBama.)
02-19-2021 05:55 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
Humboldt already has some science programs that are top tier - forestry, biology among them. Would make a lot of sense
02-19-2021 09:30 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
Humbolt has one of the worst reputations of any of the CSUs. It's no surprise that they want to rebrand themselves to make them sound like the best CSU.

Now, would they would actually make the institutional changes necessary to become a tech school? That would involve firing a lot of non-tenured faculty in the majority of the existing academic departments and redirecting those resources into engineering, math, etc. The tenured faculty (who run most universities) are usually very resistant to those sorts of changes.
02-19-2021 09:50 AM
Advertisement

Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(02-19-2021 05:13 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  I do think that Cal Poly should have a seperate system away from Cal State. As large a state as California? They only have like 2 systems unlike the states of Texas and Florida. Arkansas have like 3 systems with UA, Arkansas State and Arkansas Tech, no other schools have branches in the state.

I completely agree.

Also SDSU would be much better as an independent.

A few others would probably be better off alone, too (Fresno, SJSU, Northridge, maybe Fullerton).

The Cal State system is a clusterf#&k of the highest magnitude. One minor example: I worked there until a few years ago. My paycheck for teaching summer classes was 7 weeks late, despite constant pestering from me, my department chair, and our department secretary. CSU said they were having "a hard time calculating how to include the annual raise into summer pay." Can you imagine the sheer magnitude of incompetency that implies? In the days of the internet and excel spreadsheets, this problem sat on some idiot's desk in Long Beach (at CSU HQ) for almost two months. And don't even get me started about the number of hoops our department had to jump through to get reimbursed for any out-of-pocket expenses.
02-19-2021 10:04 AM
teamvsn Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NAIA
This sounds like a joke but it's not: just as Cal Poly SLO is informally known as "Cow Poly", Humboldt would become known as "Weed Poly". It's becoming a major industry in California, there are no "centers" yet that specialize in the study of it, and the Humboldt area is known for it.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021 12:55 PM by teamvsn.)
02-19-2021 12:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(02-19-2021 12:54 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  This sounds like a joke but it's not: just as Cal Poly SLO is informally known as "Cow Poly", Humboldt would become known as "Weed Poly". It's becoming a major industry in California, there are no "centers" yet that specialize in the study of it, and the Humboldt area is known for it.

That is changing now that it's legal. The Mexican cartels were growing weed in National and State forests. But the economic incentive is mostly gone for doing that. It's now in different parts of the State.
02-19-2021 12:58 PM
teamvsn Offline
Special Teams

(02-19-2021 12:58 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 12:54 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  This sounds like a joke but it's not: just as Cal Poly SLO is informally known as "Cow Poly", Humboldt would become known as "Weed Poly". It's becoming a major industry in California, there are no "centers" yet that specialize in the study of it, and the Humboldt area is known for it.

That is changing now that it's legal. The Mexican cartels were growing weed in National and State forests. But the economic incentive is mostly gone for doing that. It's now in different parts of the State.

Right, in my back yard for example (Carpinteria). Huge problem. My point is that it's going mainstream, it's big, and there are no academic centers specializing in the science of it. Humboldt is a historic center for it and the population wouldn't resist it or even be embarrassed of it. It's a natural fit.
02-19-2021 01:10 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
So does SLO have to play their name change of they do go through with the Cal Poly Humbolt thing?

What kind of relationship does SLO and Pomona currently have?
02-19-2021 01:14 PM
Advertisement

e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass

Would be pretty easy to have it as part of an electronics specialty program, what with how intense the grow light industry can get (even outside of weed).
02-19-2021 01:28 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
(02-19-2021 11:24 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 10:04 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 05:13 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  I do think that Cal Poly should have a seperate system away from Cal State. As large a state as California? They only have like 2 systems unlike the states of Texas and Florida. Arkansas have like 3 systems with UA, Arkansas State and Arkansas Tech, no other schools have branches in the state.

I completely agree.

A few others would probably be better off alone, too (Fresno, SJSU, Northridge, maybe Fullerton).

The Cal State system is a clusterf#&k of the highest magnitude. One minor example: I worked there until a few years ago. My paycheck for teaching summer classes was 7 weeks late, despite constant pestering from me, my department chair, and our department secretary. CSU said they were having "a hard time calculating how to include the annual raise into summer pay." Can you imagine the sheer magnitude of incompetency that implies? In the days of the internet and excel spreadsheets, this problem sat on some idiot's desk in Long Beach (at CSU HQ) for almost two months. And don't even get me started about the number of hoops our department had to jump through to get reimbursed for any out-of-pocket expenses.

Hmm, I've been wondering about the Cal State system as someone who will be on the job market next year. Doesn't sound promising.

I'm interested to see what Humboldt does. From a location standpoint, I love Northern California and would be interested to see what they do if they commit to the Poly concept.

Humboldt State is in a remote and sparsely populated area. It's about a 5 hour drive north of SF. It's very pretty up there, great if you like the outdoors, though the north coast is often cool and foggy and doesn't get "summer weather" much in the summer.
02-19-2021 01:36 PM
teamvsn Offline
Special Teams

(02-19-2021 01:28 PM)e-parade Wrote:  

Would be pretty easy to have it as part of an electronics specialty program, what with how intense the grow light industry can get (even outside of weed).

There's an entire array of issues that need addressing. Everything from a simple horticultural perspective obviously. But also engineering for weed "factories" including odor mitigation. A local grow here in Carp just spent half a million dollars on an odor mitigation system. Come to think of it, genetics for developing strains that don't stink. And the study of the effects of it - not just THC but everything else that comes along with it.
02-19-2021 01:39 PM
e-parade Offline
All American

I Root For: UMass
(02-19-2021 01:39 PM)teamvsn Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 01:28 PM)e-parade Wrote:  

There's an entire array of issues that need addressing. Everything from a simple horticultural perspective obviously. But also engineering for weed "factories" including odor mitigation. A local grow here in Carp just spent half a million dollars on an odor mitigation system. Come to think of it, genetics for developing strains that don't stink. And the study of the effects of it - not just THC but everything else that comes along with it.

The Science and Technology of Horticulture/Agriculture. Get focuses built out for things like food, THC, etc.

Sounds like a useful program, especially with concerns over the ever growing world population and how to keep people fed.
02-19-2021 03:17 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
(02-19-2021 01:36 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(02-19-2021 11:24 AM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  

I completely agree.

Hmm, I've been wondering about the Cal State system as someone who will be on the job market next year. Doesn't sound promising.

I'm interested to see what Humboldt does. From a location standpoint, I love Northern California and would be interested to see what they do if they commit to the Poly concept.

Humboldt State is in a remote and sparsely populated area. It's about a 5 hour drive north of SF. It's very pretty up there, great if you like the outdoors, though the north coast is often cool and foggy and doesn't get "summer weather" much in the summer.

Yep, sounds great. I love the area north of San Francisco, though I've never been as far up as Arcata. The question is whether a little CSU school pays well enough to afford to live out there with the costs of housing even in a little town.
02-19-2021 03:28 PM
Advertisement

AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona

Seriously, it is truly amazing that you can't say one correct statement about the school you attended. There is no such thing as an Arkansas Tech University System. ATU-Ozark is a 2-year satellite campus. When students from there get their diplomas, the graduation has been held in Russellville. Having a second campus does not make us a system.

You are also wrong about the "no other schools have branches in the state". Southern Arkansas University has SAU Tech, a 2-year college in Camden. They even have athletics; the nickname is Rockets and they compete in the NJCAA. There was SAU-El Dorado but it was merged into South Arkansas Community College and is no longer administered by SAU. SouthArk has athletics too; their nickname is Stars and are NJCAA members.

It's funny that you once said to me "you do not know much of anything here in Arkansas".
02-19-2021 06:08 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA

I completely agree.

That has to do with it being government and California, not the number of systems. The Texas setup is very dysfunctional. California with their two distinct types of entities (along with community colleges) is much better.
02-20-2021 11:57 AM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
Texas has a really wonky set up but I don’t think the CA system is an improvement.

The UC schools are top notch but there aren’t enough seats to accommodate all the qualified CA kids, plus they are competing with out-of-state and international candidates.

The Cal St schools meanwhile have an academic ceiling that they can’t rise above.

The state needs a third system where select Cal St schools can exist in a happy medium between the two
02-20-2021 01:18 PM
teamvsn Offline
Special Teams

(02-20-2021 01:18 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Texas has a really wonky set up but I don’t think the CA system is an improvement.

The UC schools are top notch but there aren’t enough seats to accommodate all the qualified CA kids, plus they are competing with out-of-state and international candidates.

The Cal St schools meanwhile have an academic ceiling that they can’t rise above.

The state needs a third system where select Cal St schools can exist in a happy medium between the two

It sounds to me like you''re talking about the Cal Poly schools themselves. Many people here aren't even aware that the Cal Polies are in the CSU system, and hold them in high regard. Add PhD options to them and maybe add 2-3 more campuses from the CSU system and call it done.
02-20-2021 04:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.