Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

aardWolf Online
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
McFerrin retires
Quote:F eb. 14, 2021

Melissa McFerrin retires as Memphis Women’s Basketball Head Coach

MEMPHIS — Melissa McFerrin, who is in her 13th season as Memphis women’s basketball head coach, has retired effective immediately, director of athletics Laird Veatch announced Sunday.

McFerrin won the third-most games in Memphis history with a record of 193-199, including 243-269 in her 17-year career as a head coach. The Tigers made four-straight tournament appearances from 2010-13. Memphis is 4-10 overall and 2-7 in the American Athletic Conference this season.

“I have coached my entire career with personal and professional goals in alignment,” said McFerrin. “But things change over time. I remained at Memphis the past two seasons to see the renovation of Elma Roane Fieldhouse completed and to coach a group of young women in which I have a tremendous belief.
“In arriving at the decision to retire, this time, personal reasons have won out over professional ones. It is time for a new season in my life.”

In her second season at Memphis in 2009-10, the Tigers went 20-14 and reached the WBI finals. In 2010-11, McFerrin led the Tigers to a 21-13 record, the program’s most wins since 1998-99. In her fourth season in 2011-12, Memphis went 25-8, finished runner-up in the Conference USA regular-season standings and earned a WNIT bid.

“Coach McFerrin notified me of her decision this morning, and I want to thank her for her dedication to coaching Memphis women’s basketball for many years,” said Veatch. “She had a long career coaching the Tigers, and we all wish her nothing but the best in her future endeavors.”

In Memphis’ third year in the American Athletic Conference in 2015-16, the Tigers went 18-13 overall and 12-6 in AAC play, making another WNIT appearance. Memphis, which was picked seventh in the preseason AAC poll, finished fourth behind NCAA Champion UConn, NCAA Tournament participant USF and WNIT quarterfinalist Temple.

In 2016-17, Memphis defeated Vanderbilt for the first time in almost 30 years and defeated No. 20 USF for the second-straight season. The next year, the Tigers won at Vanderbilt for the first time in program history.
McFerrin coached four years at American prior to coming to Memphis, leading the Eagles to the 2007 Patriot League Tournament championship game in her third season. Her 2007-08 team won the Patriot League regular-season title en route to a WNIT appearance, finishing with an 18-14 overall record.

Associate head coach Michelle Savage will guide the team through the remainder of the 2020-21 season as interim head coach. A national search for the permanent head coach will be conducted at the conclusion of the season.
02-14-2021 05:20 PM
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

RE: McFerrin retires
Well when I gave up on her she had no choice.
02-14-2021 05:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
snowtiger Offline
Hall of Flamers

I Root For: W's!!!
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2021 05:37 PM by snowtiger.)
02-14-2021 05:36 PM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Memphis
Is the interim related to McFerrin's predecessor?

There is more to the story with McFerrin that we will never hear. The whole player abuse scandal and the deal with Bowen. Maybe this was the negotiated settlement after all.
(This post was last modified: 02-14-2021 05:42 PM by Tiger87.)
02-14-2021 05:42 PM
Claw Offline
Hall of Famer

Immediately? Not the best of looks. I wish her well.
02-14-2021 06:45 PM
Advertisement

MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

(02-14-2021 05:25 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Well when I gave up on her she had no choice.

Could you give up on Shoenrock now
02-14-2021 06:57 PM
jsw3ent Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis
(02-14-2021 06:57 PM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  
(02-14-2021 05:25 PM)ncrdbl1 Wrote:  Well when I gave up on her she had no choice.

Could you give up on Shoenrock now

LOL---yeah please do
02-14-2021 11:06 PM
uskjtc02 Away
Heisman

Thank goodness!
02-15-2021 12:28 AM
Eagleonpar Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UOFM
She went 25-8 one year ? Wow
02-15-2021 10:58 AM
tigerengineer Offline
All American

I Root For: The Tigers!
(02-15-2021 10:58 AM)Eagleonpar Wrote:  She went 25-8 one year ? Wow

Seemingly a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
02-15-2021 12:31 PM
Advertisement

memphisike Offline
Heisman

I Root For: memphis tigers
Hire a ex utk player
And players will follow
02-15-2021 01:13 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

Ike, you got any word on the street on our next permanent HC?
02-15-2021 01:31 PM
GoDownSwinging Offline
Special Teams

This is going to be Veatch's fire actual hire. He didn't hire Silverfield (players and fans/boosters pressured him to hire Ryan). To me, the job is intriguing. With UCONN now being in the Big East, the only team that is a competitive team in the AAC on a consistent basis, is South Florida.

Kevin McMillan from Tennessee-Martin would be #1 choice for me. UTM Lady Skyhawks is 13-2 in OVC play this year, which is first. I believe they have 2 more additional losses, which they both came from Louisville. The last time UTM worse than 3rd place was in the OVC was in 2016-2017 season. 63% winning percentage (77% in OVC). He's won the OVC title 5 times in his 11 years in Martin.

My #2 choice would be a "shocker" but it's Mark Campbell from Union University. In 22 seasons at Union, his record is 639-99. He only has one season (of the 22) where he finished with double digit losses. He also had 14 seasons where he finished with 30+ wins. He won his 600th game faster than any coach in basketball, at any level. I can careless if Union is Division 2, he's a winner.

This one could be more of an expensive hire, but I would call Rice's, Tina Langley. Lady Owls have won two straight C-USA titles, and they've won 20+ games in 5 years. She seems more destined to go to a Vanderbilt, but it's worth a shot.
02-15-2021 01:51 PM
danny1 Offline
All American

(02-15-2021 01:51 PM)GoDownSwinging Wrote:  This is going to be Veatch's fire actual hire. He didn't hire Silverfield (players and fans/boosters pressured him to hire Ryan). To me, the job is intriguing. With UCONN now being in the Big East, the only team that is a competitive team in the AAC on a consistent basis, is South Florida.

Kevin McMillan from Tennessee-Martin would be #1 choice for me. UTM Lady Skyhawks is 13-2 in OVC play this year, which is first. I believe they have 2 more additional losses, which they both came from Louisville. The last time UTM worse than 3rd place was in the OVC was in 2016-2017 season. 63% winning percentage (77% in OVC). He's won the OVC title 5 times in his 11 years in Martin.

My #2 choice would be a "shocker" but it's Mark Campbell from Union University. In 22 seasons at Union, his record is 639-99. He only has one season (of the 22) where he finished with double digit losses. He also had 14 seasons where he finished with 30+ wins. He won his 600th game faster than any coach in basketball, at any level. I can careless if Union is Division 2, he's a winner.

This one could be more of an expensive hire, but I would call Rice's, Tina Langley. Lady Owls have won two straight C-USA titles, and they've won 20+ games in 5 years. She seems more destined to go to a Vanderbilt, but it's worth a shot.

The coach at Union has been incredibly successful. Anyone else have ideas/info?
02-17-2021 09:50 AM
broken1234 Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Tigers!!
I happen to know both the UTM and the Union coaches. I think either would be a great choice and both have the tools to be successful at a higher level.
My sense is that Kevin would listen and consider it, but Mark would not.
Kevin's youngest is a high school senior this year, I think. And he has some Memphis connections already.
Mark, on the other hand, places basketball in it's rightful place in life. I'm not sure that the lifestyle required to be a D1 head coach would appeal to him.
Just my 2 cents...
02-17-2021 10:47 AM
Advertisement

pmantiger Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
(02-17-2021 10:47 AM)broken1234 Wrote:  I happen to know both the UTM and the Union coaches. I think either would be a great choice and both have the tools to be successful at a higher level.
My sense is that Kevin would listen and consider it, but Mark would not.
Kevin's youngest is a high school senior this year, I think. And he has some Memphis connections already.
Mark, on the other hand, places basketball in it's rightful place in life. I'm not sure that the lifestyle required to be a D1 head coach would appeal to him.
Just my 2 cents...
Don't know either of them but I feel confident that the recruiting required at Memphis would differ greatly than that at Union and might not be appealing.
02-17-2021 11:26 AM
Tiger87 Offline
Hall of Famer

Yeah, I don't think those lower divisions are the way to go. I think getting an SEC assistant who is a known recruiter would be the right way.
02-17-2021 12:05 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-17-2021 12:05 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Yeah, I don't think those lower divisions are the way to go. I think getting an SEC assistant who is a known recruiter would be the right way.

Kind of the opposite of revenue sports.

But I agree.
02-17-2021 12:11 PM
GoDownSwinging Offline
Special Teams

(02-17-2021 12:05 PM)Tiger87 Wrote:  Yeah, I don't think those lower divisions are the way to go. I think getting an SEC assistant who is a known recruiter would be the right way.

I don't think an SEC assistant would want to come to a University that is bad at girls basketball, and doesn't have the facilities it takes to win. Doesn't look good when the mens team play in an NBA arena, and have their own practice facility. While the ladies play (and practice) in an a gym that doesn't look appealing at all. There are better high school gyms than what the Fieldhouse looks like now. I know one brings in millions, and the other doesn't. But still doesn't look good.
02-17-2021 12:32 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.