Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

5 out of 6 MAC basketball games ppd tonight
Bookmark and Share
adunifon Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Things are going great...but we’re really gonna have a conference tourney??? With fans?? You gotta be kidding me.
02-09-2021 08:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

utpotts Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Toledo
RE: 5 out of 6 MAC basketball games ppd tonight
There’s a reason why the Big Ten moved their tournament from Chicago to Indy....
02-09-2021 09:02 AM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(02-09-2021 08:50 AM)adunifon Wrote:  Things are going great...but we’re really gonna have a conference tourney??? With fans?? You gotta be kidding me.

Has MAC officially announced that tourney in Cleveland will have fans or is that just wishful thinking on their part?
02-09-2021 10:23 AM
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
(02-09-2021 09:02 AM)utpotts Wrote:  There’s a reason why the Big Ten moved their tournament from Chicago to Indy....

And this is a MAC board !!
Who gives a $—t about the big 10 !! They have their network and at least 8-10 teams in... They will make their $$$ with or without fans...
02-09-2021 10:25 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

If the MAC wants to move to Indiana I say Fort Wayne. Our Coliseum would be happy to host the tourney. And there will be 2500 fans plus or minus based on the hockey games starting this week.

Or cancel the darn thing and give the bid to the best record.
02-09-2021 10:39 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(02-09-2021 10:25 AM)FMRocket Wrote:  
(02-09-2021 09:02 AM)utpotts Wrote:  There’s a reason why the Big Ten moved their tournament from Chicago to Indy....

Who gives a $—t about the big 10 !! They have their network and at least 8-10 teams in... They will make their $$$ with or without fans...

Indy is where the NCAA is being held, B10 just seeing the opportunity. I agree with Indianasniff, if Cleveland doesn't want to hold, switch to a likely first round site.
02-09-2021 11:35 AM
Advertisement

acrocket46 Offline
Water Engineer

(02-09-2021 10:39 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  If the MAC wants to move to Indiana I say Fort Wayne. Our Coliseum would be happy to host the tourney. And there will be 2500 fans plus or minus based on the hockey games starting this week.

I was told The Huntington Center makes a pitch to the MAC every year about hosting the tourney, no luck yet. I’d imagine eventually it may end up in Toledo as we are perfectly located and with downtown investment booming it makes sense.

Rocket Mortgage Arena is to big, place looks empty even when there’s a decent crowd.
02-09-2021 12:43 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

His comment is absolutely relevant, as the Big 10 moved theirs to Indy to essentially enter the ncaa bubble a week early. Smart move if you’re insisting on holding it.

Imagine winning the MAC tourney and not being able to even play your first round ncaa tourney game because of COVID protocol resulting from the Mac tourney...
02-09-2021 12:47 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

(02-09-2021 12:43 PM)acrocket46 Wrote:  
(02-09-2021 10:39 AM)indianasniff Wrote:  If the MAC wants to move to Indiana I say Fort Wayne. Our Coliseum would be happy to host the tourney. And there will be 2500 fans plus or minus based on the hockey games starting this week.

I was told The Huntington Center makes a pitch to the MAC every year about hosting the tourney, no luck yet. I’d imagine eventually it may end up in Toledo as we are perfectly located and with downtown investment booming it makes sense.

Rocket Mortgage Arena is to big, place looks empty even when there’s a decent crowd.

Honestly, it doesn’t make sense holding it in Toledo either this year.
02-09-2021 12:47 PM
acrocket46 Offline
Water Engineer

Honestly, it doesn’t make sense holding it in Toledo either this year.
[/quote]

I agree, don’t think there should even be a tourney, regular season champs should get the bid.
02-09-2021 12:54 PM
Basketball Jones Offline
1st String

(02-09-2021 10:23 AM)PaulJ Wrote:  
(02-09-2021 08:50 AM)adunifon Wrote:  Things are going great...but we’re really gonna have a conference tourney??? With fans?? You gotta be kidding me.

Has MAC officially announced that tourney in Cleveland will have fans or is that just wishful thinking on their part?

I was told yesterday that as of now the MAC will still be holding the Tournament in Cleveland. However, tickets will not be available for the Quarter Finals but will be available on a limited basis for the Semi Finals and Final.
02-09-2021 01:55 PM
Advertisement

FMRocket Offline
All American

(02-09-2021 12:47 PM)adunifon Wrote:  

His comment is absolutely relevant, as the Big 10 moved theirs to Indy to essentially enter the ncaa bubble a week early. Smart move if you’re insisting on holding it.

Imagine winning the MAC tourney and not being able to even play your first round ncaa tourney game because of COVID protocol resulting from the Mac tourney...

Yeah, I guess the ideology of the big 10 moving down to Indy makes sense financially, and more important logistically... But, I still stand by my assessment of them making money with or without people in the arenas...
(This post was last modified: 02-09-2021 02:08 PM by FMRocket.)
02-09-2021 02:07 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
(02-09-2021 12:54 PM)acrocket46 Wrote:  Honestly, it doesn’t make sense holding it in Toledo either this year.

I agree, don’t think there should even be a tourney, regular season champs should get the bid.
[/quote]

I agree with you—while I’m hoping the Rockets hang on & win the regular season, I think trying to cram a tournament in right before the “Dance” is a fool’s folly that will only end up harming the MAC entry...
02-09-2021 06:24 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

Cool your jets, FMRocket
02-09-2021 07:59 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

If this was not FMRocket comment, then whoever commented this is a MAC board should cool his jets.
02-09-2021 08:02 PM
northcoastRocket Offline
Hall of Famer

The MAC has a contract with Rocket Mortgage Field House for the tourney through 2023. I would assume there is likely a clause that can get them out of that for a year, if the tourney is cancelled, but I imagine it would be difficult to justify moving it to a different location without some potential financial penalties.
02-09-2021 08:09 PM
Advertisement

FMRocket Offline
All American

(02-09-2021 07:59 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  

Cool your jets, FMRocket

OK Boss, I’ll try stay in line... 03-nutkick
02-09-2021 09:57 PM
UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
Why play at the Huntington center when Savage Arena is made for basketball? More lockerooms?

Id be okay with a traveling homesite tourney. The Huntington is nice and all but it would feel weird. I heard the Seagate felt very odd when it held the MAC tourney for a couple years.

Centrally located Rocket Mortgage for Akron and Kent have obviously led to some nice home crowds over the years. In 2002 Gund sold out for the first time in MACC Cleveland history (Bg vs. Kent). That possibility in an 18k arena or whatever is pretty awesome!

IMO, unless it's a legit home game, keep the big atmosphere. Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit and Indy would also be cool mega arenas for the tourney.
02-09-2021 11:14 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(02-09-2021 11:14 PM)UofToledoFans Wrote:  Why play at the Huntington center when Savage Arena is made for basketball? More lockerooms?

Id be okay with a traveling homesite tourney. The Huntington is nice and all but it would feel weird. I heard the Seagate felt very odd when it held the MAC tourney for a couple years.

Centrally located Rocket Mortgage for Akron and Kent have obviously led to some nice home crowds over the years. In 2002 Gund sold out for the first time in MACC Cleveland history (Bg vs. Kent). That possibility in an 18k arena or whatever is pretty awesome!

IMO, unless it's a legit home game, keep the big atmosphere. Chicago, Buffalo, Detroit and Indy would also be cool mega arenas for the tourney.

Say what you want, year in and year out MAC Tournament in Cleveland is usually one of the top attended conference tournaments in the country.

1. It's played in a NBA Arena (In this Covid era that's a plus-plus.)
2. Enough Hotels w/in block of arena
3. Enough sports bars for nearly every team w/in a block of arena.
4. MAC (not just Kent/Akron) alums proliferate Cleveland.
5. (and this is key for MAC office) BOTH men/women's tournaments can be held at the same time/place.

Just tough to make a switch when there is so much positive. Call it the Carty Curse. (Old timers know what I'm talking about)!
02-10-2021 12:02 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

(02-09-2021 12:43 PM)acrocket46 Wrote:  

This isn't possible. The MAC has a contract with RM Arena through 2023 at least and with the MAC Offices located their, its not moving. There are not enough hotels or at least decent ones to host 16 teams for a week. Plus there are issues with the Huntington Center size wise and infrastructure that hinder any sort of tournament being played there.
02-10-2021 11:09 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.