Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NCAA Tourney
Bookmark and Share
Tribester Offline
Banned

I Root For: W&M
NCAA Tourney
Are they going to allow any fans at all for the tourney in Indy this year? It would be so W&M to FINALLY make it this year, and have none of us be able to witness it in person. Only thing more W&M would have been if we had won the CAA tourney last year. OOF!
01-31-2021 04:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
RE: NCAA Tourney
Given the nature of the tournament and the fact that likely few of the coaches and refs and likely none of the players will have received the vaccine, I expect no fans in attendance. Or, at best, only parents of the players.

As for the Tribe, I am merely hoping we avoid the play in(Keener/Rowe invitational) round of the tourney. A long way still to go with likely several more postponements to come. Given that the Tribe has possibly played the least number of home games in the country thus far, 6-7 and 4-4 in the league is very solid. It may take a .500 record or better to finish 6th or above. The remaining scheduled games are 5 at home(JMU, Northeastern and 1 with Elon) and 3 road(UNCW and 1 with Elon). Of course, we have no idea if any of the 3 previously postponed home games will be made up. I doubt we play 19 conference games though. As it stands, the Tribe would be 3 home games short if all the remaining scheduled games are played.
02-01-2021 12:48 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
W&M fate will be much clearer if we play JMU this weekend. If we can split those games or win both then our schedule is setup so a top 6 finish or better is probable.

Our hopeful remaining schedule has two of the bottom 4 teams in Elon (0-4) and UNCW (1-5) with 3 of those 4 games at home. The other two bottom schools are Drexel at 2-4 with games to paly against Hofstra, Delaware plus JMU and Towson at 2-6 with games to play against CoC, Drexel, Delaware plus NE along with us beating Towson twice. We truly control our own fate to the extent that COVID permits!

it should be remembered that we are scheduled to close out the season at home with two games against NE, currently the best team besides JMU.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021 01:58 PM by wmmii.)
02-01-2021 01:21 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Just saw on the UNCW page that the CAA played the fewest percentage of its scheduled games of any league(31) that played this season. Only 56 percent. The next lowest in the country was the Atlantic 10 at 72 percent. So, the CAA was last by a significant margin.
03-03-2021 04:46 PM
TDenverFan Online
All American

Interesting. I didn't realize how much worse the CAA was.

https://twitter.com/tayloreldridge/statu...4141831168

The MVC, which played every conference game, had the same scheduling set up the CAA did, doubleheaders on the weekends. I'm kinda shocked they didn't have any games get cancelled. Basically every game being bus-able might help (UNI to Evansville is about 8 hours, that appears to be the longest trip by a decent margin)

Edit: I'm also not sure these numbers are all accurate, I know Howard cancelled their whole season halfway through, and din't actually play any conference games. I guess they just didn't count that against the MEAC?
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2021 05:03 PM by TDenverFan.)
03-03-2021 04:53 PM
billymac Offline
Heisman

We're #1... We're #1.

03-tired
03-03-2021 04:54 PM
Advertisement

Zorch Offline
All American

Not the NCAA Tournament but, rather, the Big East Tournament:

Georgetown beat #14 Villanova 72-71. Couldn't help but notice that the Hoyas went 23-23 from the free throw line in that 1-point win.
03-12-2021 12:22 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

Adventures and misadventures at the free throw line:

1. In a game of regional interest, Ohio beat UVa 62-58. Ohio was 13-14 (92.9%) from the line, including 6-6 in the last 0:44 seconds while the Cavs were draining desperation threes. (UVa was 8-10 from the line).

2. Oral Roberts upset Ohio State 75-72. Both teams attempted 18 free throws but ORU made 14 (77.8%) while the Buckeyes made only 9 (50%). Ohio St. missed the front end of a 1-and-1 at 0:37 and Oral Roberts sank two FTs with 0:15 left to tie the game and send it to overtime. In the closing minutes of regulation, OSU went 1-2 at 2:34 and ORU went 2-2 at 1:07. ORU went 5-8 in overtime while OSU went 1-3.

3. Florida beat Virginia Tech in overtime 75-70. However, the game never would have gone to OT if Florida had made FTs late in regulation. Both teams shot FTs abysmally all game (Fla 18-27, 66.7%, VT 15-21, 71.4%). Florida was up by 3 and shooting FTs at 0:07. They missed both and VT promptly sank a trey to send it to ot.

4. Creighton beat UCSB 63-62. Until the last 0:16, they were only 2-4 from the FT line. However, at 0:16, they sank 2 FTs to turn a 1 point deficit into a 1 point lead (and the ultimate margin of victory). But the drama wasn't done yet. At 0:01 they missed the front end of a 1-and-1 and UCSB had a chance at an Oliver Tot moment to win it -- but the shot was way too strong and sailed over the entire backboard.

5. UNC-Greensboro was hanging with Florida State ...but in crunch time their best player missed the front end of two straight 1-and-1s and the Seminoles pulled away for an eventual 10 point win.

6. Colgate had a first half lead over Arkansas but kept missing free throws when they had a chance to extend it. They ended up at 10-17 (58.8%) but most of those makes were late, long after the outcome was decided in a 85-68 loss. Arkansas' percentage wasn't great, either, but since they made 22 out of 29, it made up 12 points of their 17 point cushion.

That's just the first round and only from games that I was watching.

Edit: Since writing that, I watched the end of the Abilene Christian - Texas game. Down 1 point with 1.2 seconds to go, an Abilene Christian player -- who had a season free throw percentage of 58.8% -- calmly sank 2 free throws for the win!
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2021 12:41 AM by Zorch.)
03-20-2021 10:23 PM
Tribe32 Online
All American

I Root For: Tribe
.....and we had a game cancelled due to Covid
03-21-2021 06:38 AM
Zorch Offline
All American

Couldn't resist one more of these posts, especially since the identity of the victim will make a lot of people happy (especially HyperDuke, who hates the Spiders):

Richmond lost to Mississippi State in the NIT 68-67. UR had a 2 point lead with :08 left on the clock and the Spiders were on the FT line for the front end of a 1-and-1. They missed the FT, the Bulldogs got the rebound and sank a game-winning 3-pointer with 1.8 seconds on the clock. Spiders should have practiced their free throws -- they were 14-23 (60.9%) while Miss. St. was 16-18 (88.9%).
03-25-2021 11:09 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
No surprise Richmond lost. They’ve never won any athletic contest ever. They are the worst.
03-26-2021 06:33 AM
Advertisement

Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

Will be interesting to watch Drew Peterson, who starts for Southern Cal, tonight when they play Oregon in the Sweet 16. Really thought he was going to end up at W&M when watching him at Zable with Nate during his recruiting visit. Alas, he would have probably just transferred, as he did from Rice.
03-28-2021 06:57 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-28-2021 06:57 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Will be interesting to watch Drew Peterson, who starts for Southern Cal, tonight when they play Oregon in the Sweet 16. Really thought he was going to end up at W&M when watching him at Zable with Nate during his recruiting visit. Alas, he would have probably just transferred, as he did from Rice.
Drew is a good player. Impressed by his defensive movement for a 6'9 guard. I got to admit, it's discouraging to watch when I've heard them talk about this guy was a 2 year starter at Duquesne and that guy was a star at Utah St. Just reinforces my fear that the mid majors are turning into the farm system for P5 schools.
03-28-2021 09:26 PM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(03-28-2021 09:26 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  
(03-28-2021 06:57 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Will be interesting to watch Drew Peterson, who starts for Southern Cal, tonight when they play Oregon in the Sweet 16. Really thought he was going to end up at W&M when watching him at Zable with Nate during his recruiting visit. Alas, he would have probably just transferred, as he did from Rice.
Drew is a good player. Impressed by his defensive movement for a 6'9 guard. I got to admit, it's discouraging to watch when I've heard them talk about this guy was a 2 year starter at Duquesne and that guy was a star at Utah St. Just reinforces my fear that the mid majors are turning into the farm system for P5 schools.

Sure, but aren't there still going to be Andy Van Vliets that transfer *to* mid-majors? There's not enough spots at P5 for them to recruit every year and take transfers. For every Justin Pierce that goes for the big time I bet there's a David Cohn who gets over-recruited and goes to a mid-major seeking playing time.
03-28-2021 09:50 PM
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

Even if the talent moving “down” equals the talent moving “up”, which I doubt, there are two problems with this from a fan’s perspective:

1). Quality of play. Rather than years of working together to develop team chemistry and adopt to one style of play, players will only have weeks.
2). Watching kids grow. I love watch players mature and develop. Consider Burchfield, Knight, etc. If that day ever comes, I want it to be with a group of kids I’ve seen mature at the College, not some rent-a-players.

I’m obviously looking at this from my perspective and not from a player equity POV.
03-29-2021 08:58 AM
WMInTheBurg Offline
All American

(03-29-2021 08:58 AM)tribeinexile Wrote:  Even if the talent moving “down” equals the talent moving “up”, which I doubt, there are two problems with this from a fan’s perspective:

1). Quality of play. Rather than years of working together to develop team chemistry and adopt to one style of play, players will only have weeks.
2). Watching kids grow. I love watch players mature and develop. Consider Burchfield, Knight, etc. If that day ever comes, I want it to be with a group of kids I’ve seen mature at the College, not some rent-a-players.

I’m obviously looking at this from my perspective and not from a player equity POV.

My opinion is that you'll see a lot of this balance out eventually. More movement in the first couple of years makes sense, because it's a new thing and people want to try it out. After a few years, coaches and players will have more information to go on, and we'll see whether it actually changes much. E.g. if Pierce is the standard, I would think more players would stay than go. If it's the kid from Drexel that went to Louisville, maybe more players go.

Pierce went from an offense that was at least in part designed around him to a school where he had to fit into their system and didn't care much whether he did. He had NBA hopes pre-season and ended up nowhere close.
03-29-2021 09:48 AM
Advertisement

tribeinexile Offline
1st String

To complement your point, the elite schools are having to re-calibrate their recruiting strategy. With the continued improvement of the G League and overseas opportunities, I think schools like Kentucky and Duke will move away from the one-and-dones. As they start to value recruits who will stay multiple years, that trend should stabilize player movement down the food chain.

I hope!
03-29-2021 10:06 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
(03-29-2021 10:06 AM)tribeinexile Wrote:  To complement your point, the elite schools are having to re-calibrate their recruiting strategy. With the continued improvement of the G League and overseas opportunities, I think schools like Kentucky and Duke will move away from the one-and-dones. As they start to value recruits who will stay multiple years, that trend should stabilize player movement down the food chain.

I hope!

I hope I am wrong, but I suspect the fringe NBA 1 and doners will be suggested to go mid major for a year before transferring to the big boys, that way the big boys always have their needs at all times without guaranteeing playing time from the get go. Of course, I dont think this scenario happens until the players are granted the 1 free transfer
03-29-2021 10:34 AM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(03-29-2021 10:34 AM)dan10 Wrote:  
(03-29-2021 10:06 AM)tribeinexile Wrote:  To complement your point, the elite schools are having to re-calibrate their recruiting strategy. With the continued improvement of the G League and overseas opportunities, I think schools like Kentucky and Duke will move away from the one-and-dones. As they start to value recruits who will stay multiple years, that trend should stabilize player movement down the food chain.

I hope!

I hope I am wrong, but I suspect the fringe NBA 1 and doners will be suggested to go mid major for a year before transferring to the big boys, that way the big boys always have their needs at all times without guaranteeing playing time from the get go. Of course, I dont think this scenario happens until the players are granted the 1 free transfer

With this formula in mind, I can definitely see the rise of 1 and doners going the HBCU rout. After a year or two, go pro or transfer to a P5.
03-29-2021 02:28 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

(03-29-2021 02:28 PM)mrjoolius Wrote:  With this formula in mind, I can definitely see the rise of 1 and doners going the HBCU rout. After a year or two, go pro or transfer to a P5.

HBCU route? Maybe some of these guys actually want to win a college championship. So unless they think that they themselves are so good as to be able to singlehandedly elevate the team to that level, then it isn't going to happen at an HBCU. It is far more likely to happen at a P5 blue blood. So if championships are important to them then they need to choose accordingly.
03-29-2021 02:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.