ETSUfan1 Offline
SoCon / ETSU Mod

I Root For: ETSU Football

Donators
Official Game Thread: @ Wofford
Date: February 1st, 2021

Time: 7:00 PM

Opponent: Wofford (10-5, 7-2 SoCon)

Place: Richardson Indoor Arena (no fans)

Television: none

Webcast: ESPN+ (Subscription)

Radio online: 640WXSM.com

Wofford 2020-2021 Schedule

Wofford 2020-2021 Roster

Wofford Message Board
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021 02:16 AM by ETSUfan1.)
01-31-2021 02:15 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ETSU
RE: Official Game Thread: @ Wofford
Back one full month ago, these comments were made (after the first WCU game, when they still looked strong):

shampoo Wrote:
This is a formative game.

posterformerlyknownasthedoctor:
Absolutely. It's WAY too early to say something like this...........but this *MAY* have been the most important game of the regular season. *This* is what we desperately, desperately needed. It won't all be roses on out, but at least the guys know they can hang, hang some more, persevere, and depend on each other. A truly crucial performance.

I think the last month has indeed shown that to be the case. Well, now..............this may be our next 'most-important' game.
I'm not *quite* as content with how the team has done as others here. Surely they've done well, and met all recent challenges. But it's somewhat been against weaker comp. We haven't had our feet put to the fire lately. We've shown we're now a fully(?)-formed team, and have achieved our "identity". The woofers may be reeling from El Cid, but edging out Mercer may have gotten them back on track.
This is a "we-need-to-show-them-who's-boss" game.

And from their perspective......it may not *quite* be a "must-win" game, but it's pretty close to that. Looks like we're down to the same ol' same ol' 4 teams left for the conference title. My personal opinion is that the conference is a bit weaker this year than the last 2-3-4 years. So hard to tell, though, with the craziness.
01-31-2021 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

(01-31-2021 10:28 AM)posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Wrote:  ... Looks like we're down to the same ol' same ol' 4 teams left for the conference title. My personal opinion is that the conference is a bit weaker this year than the last 2-3-4 years. So hard to tell, though, with the craziness.

My impression is that college basketball in general is a little weaker this year. Teams at all levels have not been able to count on a regular schedule of games, or even a regular schedule of practices. And I think that shows in power conferences like the ACC, as well as with midmajors.
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021 12:48 PM by swvabucsfan.)
01-31-2021 11:13 AM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

The ETSU team that started off the season 1-3, struggling and disorganized against Abilene Christian, Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee and UAB is in some ways hardly recognizable in the group that played yesterday.

In those first 4 games ETSU was averaging 57.8 ppg with 5.8 made 3’s on .245 shooting. There was change and improvement from game to game. But it was a slow uphill struggle, frequently interrupted by Covid.

Contrast the last 4 games where ETSU has averaged 83.5 ppg with 10.5 made 3’s on .447 shooting. And with .789 from the Free Throw Line.

Individual guys are looking radically different as they find the way to use their skills in the context of a team system.
In the first 4 games Damari averaged 5 points on .174 from 3 with 1 make per game.
In the last 4 games Damari averaged 17.5 ppg on .480 from 3 with 3.0 makes per game.
In the first 4 games Serrel averaged 6.3 ppg on .182 from 3 with 0.5 makes. His high was 9 points.
In the last 4 games Serrel averaged 9.5 ppg on .429 from 3 with 1.5 makes. His highs in the last 4 games were 15 and 21 points. His turnovers per game were reduced from 2.3 in the first 4 games to 1.0 in the last 4.

What has remained pretty consistent from the beginning was hustle and unselfishness, and a steady improvement.

This team has a chance to be a very special Bucs team. The conference test will ramp up with road trips to Wofford tomorrow, and Mercer Wednesday. Wofford in particular has the offensive skill which is everywhere in this year’s SoCon, coupled with a better range of defense than most. Expect flopping and grabbing and hollering for foul calls (Ryan Larson, we’re looking at you. He's reminiscent of former Terrier guard Eric Garcia). The Bucs will have to keep cool, and not let the provocation lead to technicals, or throw them off their game. Don't waste time arguing with officials over the inevitable questionable call or two. Ledarrius and Silas in particular are hard to replace.

Wofford is 6-1 at home, with only a loss to UNCG (84-75) marring the record. Kenpom has Wofford beating the Bucs at home by 3 (68-65). But ETSU has proven them wrong before

Go Bucs!
(This post was last modified: 01-31-2021 12:50 PM by swvabucsfan.)
01-31-2021 12:47 PM
bucfan81 Offline
Heisman

(01-31-2021 12:47 PM)swvabucsfan Wrote:  The ETSU team that started off the season 1-3, struggling and disorganized against Abilene Christian, Austin Peay, Middle Tennessee and UAB is in some ways hardly recognizable in the group that played yesterday.

In those first 4 games ETSU was averaging 57.8 ppg with 5.8 made 3’s on .245 shooting. There was change and improvement from game to game. But it was a slow uphill struggle, frequently interrupted by Covid.

Contrast the last 4 games where ETSU has averaged 83.5 ppg with 10.5 made 3’s on .447 shooting. And with .789 from the Free Throw Line.

Individual guys are looking radically different as they find the way to use their skills in the context of a team system.
In the first 4 games Damari averaged 5 points on .174 from 3 with 1 make per game.
In the last 4 games Damari averaged 17.5 ppg on .480 from 3 with 3.0 makes per game.
In the first 4 games Serrel averaged 6.3 ppg on .182 from 3 with 0.5 makes. His high was 9 points.
In the last 4 games Serrel averaged 9.5 ppg on .429 from 3 with 1.5 makes. His highs in the last 4 games were 15 and 21 points. His turnovers per game were reduced from 2.3 in the first 4 games to 1.0 in the last 4.

What has remained pretty consistent from the beginning was hustle and unselfishness, and a steady improvement.

This team has a chance to be a very special Bucs team. The conference test will ramp up with road trips to Wofford tomorrow, and Mercer Wednesday. Wofford in particular has the offensive skill which is everywhere in this year’s SoCon, coupled with a better range of defense than most. Expect flopping and grabbing and hollering for foul calls (Ryan Larson, we’re looking at you. He's reminiscent of former Terrier guard Eric Garcia). The Bucs will have to keep cool, and not let the provocation lead to technicals, or throw them off their game. Don't waste time arguing with officials over the inevitable questionable call or two. Ledarrius and Silas in particular are hard to replace.

Wofford is 6-1 at home, with only a loss to UNCG (84-75) marring the record. Kenpom has Wofford beating the Bucs at home by 3 (68-65). But ETSU has proven them wrong before

Go Bucs!

Excellent way to put numbers to what we are watching on the court. We are just hitting our stride and team is fun to watch. The depth we are developing is amazing. This from a team that everyone doubted. A team that "lost everything" from last year. Kudos to the coaches and players! Go Bucs!
01-31-2021 12:53 PM
youngbuc Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU, USC Cocks
Is there a line on the game for tomorrow? Bracketology has us as a 15 seed
01-31-2021 08:10 PM
Advertisement

Flippmb Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(01-31-2021 08:10 PM)youngbuc Wrote:  Is there a line on the game for tomorrow? Bracketology has us as a 15 seed

As SWVA said, Kenpom favors Wofford by 3 points. Vegas Insider has Wofford favored by 2. Kenpom, at least, uses statistical data analysis to make their determinations.

On the other hand, the Vegas line is solely based on the perceived consensus of the betting public. The bookmaker's don't care if the public is right or wrong, and they don't care about statistics or records. Their simple goal is to keep half the money on one side of the equation, and half on the other.

The Bucs have shown they have talent and depth. And, I give the new coaching staff very high marks as well. At this point, I like ETSU's chances in any SoCon game in which they play well.

So, will they play well tonight in Spartanburg? Place your bets.
02-01-2021 09:03 AM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

(02-01-2021 09:03 AM)Flippmb Wrote:  At this point, I like ETSU's chances in any SoCon game in which they play well.

The SoCon is full of strong offensive teams that can beat you if you overlook them, or if you build a lead and relax a bit.

That said, I agree. At this point the Bucs should probably be favored in any SoCon contest in which they bring their 'A' game.

Kenpom's got the stats, true, and I love their work. But I think that Kenpom is underrating the Bucs a bit this year. Probably because the early season games do not deserve to carry as much weight as the more recent ones.

The Bucs were a brand new team this year, trying to learn to play with each other in the middle of the Covid disruption. In the early games they were scrappy, but kind of a mess offensively. We have seen a very different team offensively in the last 4 to 6 games.

I've posted before comparing the last 4 games with the first 4 games of the season, both in terms of the team as a whole, and in terms of key players like Damari and Serrel Smith. I'll add David Sloan below.

Most teams improve over the course of the season. But not nearly as radically as ETSU has.

We'll get a test of this idea tonight and Wednesday. Both home teams, Wofford (3 points) and Mercer (1 point), are favored by Kenpom over the Bucs. Come ready to play 40 minutes, and we should win them both.
02-01-2021 10:14 AM
shampoo Offline
All American

I Root For: blue and gold
Get ur popcorn and beer, if the missus allows. Gonna be a battle over yonder.
02-01-2021 10:34 AM
swvabucsfan Offline
All American

I've said some things critical of aspects of David Sloan's play. But he has been one of the most improved ETSU players over the course of this season. When he's on, he's easily the best traditional point guard we've got and one of the best in the SoCon. Let's compare his first 4 games with the last 4 games.

First 4 games: 26.5 min., 8.75 ppg, .367 FG%, .400 from 3 (1 make), .642 FT% (9-14), 1.5 rebounds, 3.3 assists, 0.8 steals, 3.8 turnovers
Last 4 games: 25.0 min., 12.3 ppg, .455 FG%, .571 from 3 (1 make), .789 FT% (15-19), 2.3 rebounds, 5.5 assists, 1.3 steals, 2.5 turnovers

His deliberate style reminds me of a basketball Leveon Bell - picking his way patiently through the field and exploding toward the goal when he spots the opening. You don't want to play too slow, or keep the ball too much in your hands. But he's been making his style more and more efficient and effective. (he exemplifies the deliberate style that poster has commented on elsewhere).

Build a lead and you want a point guard to control things, score efficiently and nail those free throws! Day-day has been doing the job.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021 10:51 AM by swvabucsfan.)
02-01-2021 10:41 AM
etsuBucsFan1988 Offline
Millennial Grief Counselor

I Root For: ETSU Hoops
We are a completely different team (as previously noted) than when the season started. I really think our offense will feed off the defense tonight, and we get the win.
02-01-2021 11:50 AM
Advertisement

Meanmike0001 Offline
Special Teams

With sports wagering now legal in TN, I have thoroughly enjoyed wagering on the Bucs this year. I only bet $1 or $2 but it has been fun.
02-01-2021 12:57 PM
Etsuwins Offline
Bench Warmer

Wow!!
02-01-2021 07:27 PM
posterformerlyknownasthedoctor Offline
Heisman

Terrible foul calls: the first of the game, against Weber. He didn't initiate contact. And then just now, the second one on Monsanto. The Woofer guard (Murphy?) jumped directly into him. Both were obvious poor calls.
02-01-2021 07:39 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-01-2021 07:27 PM)Etsuwins Wrote:  Wow!!

Now, Ow..
02-01-2021 07:39 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Hopefully Shay figures out what happened, good news is played so well early.
New 20 minutes.
02-01-2021 07:48 PM
Advertisement

Buc76 Offline
Special Teams

What happened? Sloan came into game, stood around dribbling, two turnovers, lost his man twice, cost us a 3pt and a layup, tried a horse shot, missed team lost focus, left 3p shooters open. Wofford made them pay.
02-01-2021 07:54 PM
SC Buc Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Bucs
(02-01-2021 07:54 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  What happened? Sloan came into game, stood around dribbling, two turnovers, lost his man twice, cost us a 3pt and a layup, tried a horse shot, missed team lost focus, left 3p shooters open. Wofford made them pay.

Exactly. Offensive rhythm changes entirely when he is on floor.
02-01-2021 07:57 PM
JWBUC Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU Bucs
(02-01-2021 07:57 PM)SC Buc Wrote:  
(02-01-2021 07:54 PM)Buc76 Wrote:  What happened? Sloan came into game, stood around dribbling, two turnovers, lost his man twice, cost us a 3pt and a layup, tried a horse shot, missed team lost focus, left 3p shooters open. Wofford made them pay.

The bad Sloan showed up again. Lost momentum
02-01-2021 08:29 PM
RodShaw2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(02-01-2021 08:29 PM)JWBUC Wrote:  
(02-01-2021 07:57 PM)SC Buc Wrote:  

The bad Sloan showed up again. Lost momentum

I am seeing a ton of bad play by lots of guys but lets blame it all on Sloan.
He isn't playing well I agree, but Smith and LA aren't burning up the floor either ATM.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021 08:35 PM by RodShaw2.)
02-01-2021 08:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.