(01-22-2021 02:35 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

lordy
01-22-2021 02:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
RE: Big TV news
Guess Olympics is done for... or will they still do streaming only? Makes more sense. What is the cost model anyhow? Distributors take in a fee to air the channel from both subscribers and the network? And the ad revenue goes mostly to the network or distributor, or both?
01-22-2021 02:37 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(01-22-2021 02:37 PM)RUScarlets Wrote:  Guess Olympics is done for... or will they still do streaming only? Makes more sense. What is the cost model anyhow? Distributors take in a fee to air the channel from both subscribers and the network? And the ad revenue goes mostly to the network or distributor, or both?

I'm guessing would be after the Olympics in July.

NHL deal is done after this season.
01-22-2021 02:39 PM
Advertisement

curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
I bet NHL will be moving, that is why they are doing this.

ESPN and ESPN+
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021 02:42 PM by curtis0620.)
01-22-2021 02:42 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Hum, how am I going to watch the Tour de France?
01-22-2021 02:42 PM
Wedge Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: California
NBCSN's NHL contract runs out at the end of the current season. So some combination of ESPN, Fox, and Turner will buy the next round of those rights. If that tweet above is correct, and NHL games will move to USA Network, that means NBCSN will be shut down even before the NHL season ends.

Their Premier League deal runs through the 2021-22 season. Probably those matches all get streamed for the pay version of Peacock, with the occasional match on NBC broadcast to try and drive fans to subscribe for the rest. Overflow coverage of Olympics (whenever there's another one of those) will probably be on Peacock as well.

A-10, Ivy League, and any other college sports on NBCSN might remain on Peacock but more likely are eventually bound for ESPN+.

(01-22-2021 02:42 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Hum, how am I going to watch the Tour de France?

Peacock and/or USA Network, probably.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021 02:50 PM by Wedge.)
01-22-2021 02:44 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
Too bad NBC didn’t try to get the MW or other FBS conferences to help the SN. Guess as Wedge says, they are moving to the Peacock streaming platform
01-22-2021 02:50 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina
NBC had a sports channel?
01-22-2021 02:52 PM
Advertisement

curtis0620 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt
Figure Skating and Snow Skiing are currently on Peacock Premium
01-22-2021 02:52 PM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Stuff will slide over to the USA Network, I bet.

Notre Dame hockey loses a TV partner for its home games, unless it also moves there.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021 02:59 PM by TerryD.)
01-22-2021 02:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(01-22-2021 02:44 PM)Wedge Wrote:  NBCSN's NHL contract runs out at the end of the current season. So some combination of ESPN, Fox, and Turner will buy the next round of those rights. If that tweet above is correct, and NHL games will move to USA Network, that means NBCSN will be shut down even before the NHL season ends.

Their Premier League deal runs through the 2021-22 season. Probably those matches all get streamed for the pay version of Peacock, with the occasional match on NBC broadcast to try and drive fans to subscribe for the rest. Overflow coverage of Olympics (whenever there's another one of those) will probably be on Peacock as well.

A-10, Ivy League, and any other college sports on NBCSN might remain on Peacock but more likely are eventually bound for ESPN+.

(01-22-2021 02:42 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Hum, how am I going to watch the Tour de France?

Peacock and/or USA Network, probably.

Those or streaming only.

This was a rumor for a while and when combined with Comcast laying off 400 workers at Golf Channel and moved those headquarters from Orlando to Stamford, this is a 24- month long consolidation.
01-22-2021 03:01 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
My guess is that they will wait till after the NHL season to do this and that the NHL is moving back to ESPN or with a new partner entirely. USA Network has programming commitments on Monday and Wednesday night with the WWE, so that would make getting NHL on USA on all the same nights NBCSN has very difficult.
01-22-2021 03:02 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

My predictions:

NHL - Last year of contract - likely gone and thus unaffected.

NASCAR and Indycar - Major weekend events USA or NBC; Minor events Peacock

Olympics and Olympic style events- Olympic Channel and Peacock

Other (minor) Motorsports - Peacock

EPL - Peacock and USA

Rugby - Peacock with very occasional USA broadcasts

Atlantic 10 - USA (Tuesday and/or Thursday night games) & games on Peacock. A10 tournament Round 1 and 2 on Peacock and USA.

Notre Dame Hockey - Peacock/USA mix
01-22-2021 03:19 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama
(01-22-2021 03:19 PM)solohawks Wrote:  My predictions:

EPL - Peacock and USA

Atlantic 10 - USA (Tuesday and/or Thursday night games) & games on Peacock. A10 tournament Round 1 and 2 on Peacock and USA.

I think you are generally correct, but I think this is simply NBC cutting costs.

It doesn't necessarily mean they are losing content. The NHL would have issues competing with the WWE, but it's not like FOX or ESPN don't already have tons of commitments. ESPN focuses heavily on college basketball and the NBA. FOX has less content, but they do try to give college basketball some reasonable coverage and they work with the WWE as well.

USA has a better brand in the world of TV compared to NBCSN. Think about the NBA being on TNT for example despite it not being a sports network. Maybe that's what they want.

All in all, in the world of streaming, there's really no need to have a bazillion channels. It just makes everything more expensive and it makes cable companies less likely to carry all your feeds. Now, conversely, if you create a channel with greater value then it's far less likely you get your channel cut by providers. TNT, for example, is one of the more valuable networks. Perhaps NBC wants to create that same model...a general content network with a decent amount of sports content.

The NHL, NASCAR, and the EPL are the tentpole products. They have especially invested a lot in making sure the EPL has a home and they've done a great job with coverage. I think they likely want a slice of everything they currently own.

But I do agree that they will utilize Peacock a lot more in the future.
01-22-2021 03:30 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2021 03:30 PM)AllTideUp Wrote:  

EPL - Peacock and USA

I think you are generally correct, but I think this is simply NBC cutting costs.

It doesn't necessarily mean they are losing content. The NHL would have issues competing with the WWE, but it's not like FOX or ESPN don't already have tons of commitments. ESPN focuses heavily on college basketball and the NBA. FOX has less content, but they do try to give college basketball some reasonable coverage and they work with the WWE as well.

USA has a better brand in the world of TV compared to NBCSN. Think about the NBA being on TNT for example despite it not being a sports network. Maybe that's what they want.

All in all, in the world of streaming, there's really no need to have a bazillion channels. It just makes everything more expensive and it makes cable companies less likely to carry all your feeds. Now, conversely, if you create a channel with greater value then it's far less likely you get your channel cut by providers. TNT, for example, is one of the more valuable networks. Perhaps NBC wants to create that same model...a general content network with a decent amount of sports content.

The NHL, NASCAR, and the EPL are the tentpole products. They have especially invested a lot in making sure the EPL has a home and they've done a great job with coverage. I think they likely want a slice of everything they currently own.

But I do agree that they will utilize Peacock a lot more in the future.

Agreed. The end result of this is that USA is like TNT and TBS and is a general entertainment network that also carries sports and not just a rerun channel. I could definitely see USA doing a Tuesday night NHL package if NBC and ESPN wound up splitting rights but NBC being the exclusive home of the NHL is likely over after this year.

I also would be very surprised if the EPL was not prominent on USA weekend and afternoon coverage like it is now for NBCSN.

Peacock also gets to be the home of more overflow sports content with a few Marquee exclusive events.

Its a win win.

Its crazy to see a sports cable channel getting shut down when it wasn't that long ago everyone wanted to create one but it shows you how fast some things can change
01-22-2021 03:38 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports

EPL - Peacock and USA

Olympics in 22 and beyond would just go more to USA IMO.
01-22-2021 03:45 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2021 03:45 PM)stever20 Wrote:  

EPL - Peacock and USA

Olympics in 22 and beyond would just go more to USA IMO.

The Olympic Channel was just filler last Olympics

I could see NBC wanting to make better use of it

Right now on my local cable NBCSN is Channel 30 and the Olympic Channel is on a higher priced digital tier.

I betcha The Olympic Channel takes over the NBCSN slot, which increases its distribution tremendously and makes it accessible right away to most households/hotels/restaurants etc.
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021 03:54 PM by solohawks.)
01-22-2021 03:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.