Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Notre Dame on one year probation for recruiting violations
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
Notre Dame on one year probation for recruiting violations
One more thing to add to my "NCAA is annoying" list.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...violations

Quote:The NCAA placed Notre Dame's football program on probation for one year on Thursday, after the sides agreed that a former assistant coach had impermissible off-campus recruiting contact with a high school player in January 2019.

The NCAA found that Brian Kelly also had impermissible off-campus contact with a prospect in October 2019 when the player recognized the Irish head coach walking through a high school cafeteria in Pickerington, Ohio, and asked him to take a photo. The NCAA said Kelly initially declined, before ultimately allowing the photo.

The first paragraph is a "fine, whatever" to me, but not being able to take a picture is asinine.
01-21-2021 04:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
RE: Notre Dame on one year probation for recruiting violations
(01-21-2021 04:48 PM)Alanda Wrote:  One more thing to add to my "NCAA is annoying" list.

Quote:The NCAA placed Notre Dame's football program on probation for one year on Thursday, after the sides agreed that a former assistant coach had impermissible off-campus recruiting contact with a high school player in January 2019.

The NCAA found that Brian Kelly also had impermissible off-campus contact with a prospect in October 2019 when the player recognized the Irish head coach walking through a high school cafeteria in Pickerington, Ohio, and asked him to take a photo. The NCAA said Kelly initially declined, before ultimately allowing the photo.

The first paragraph is a "fine, whatever" to me, but not being able to take a picture is asinine.

Does the probation include a bowl ban?
01-21-2021 05:22 PM
Alanda Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis
(01-21-2021 05:22 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  Does the probation include a bowl ban?

I haven't found anything that specifically says yes. I did find a site that lists the penalties.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/notre-...how-cause/

Quote:One year of probation.
A $5,000 fine.
A six-month show-cause order for the former assistant football coach, including a one-game suspension at any employing member school.
Reduced football official visits for the 2020-21 academic year by one.
Reduced football unofficial visits by 14 days for the 2020-21 academic year.
A seven-day off-campus recruiting ban for the entire football staff during the 2020-21 academic year.
The university ended the recruitment of the prospect.
The university will not recruit any prospects from the high school in Seattle from the 2019-20 through 2021-22 academic years.
01-21-2021 05:29 PM
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
Interesting that the NCAA regulates "unofficial" visits.
01-21-2021 05:31 PM
Advertisement

TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
Its pretty minor all around. Several other schools got hit with the same "penalties: for the same "violations".

No bowl ban.

Apparently, Washington's head coached turned in several programs (Florida, Texas A&M, ND) over a Seattle area recruit.

Somehow, only Notre Dame is being prominently mentioned. Go figure.

Do you guys recall similar headlines and stories when Florida and A&M were penalized? I don't.

(Maybe it is because Brian Kelly took a photo with a kid..."Gasp"....anyone hear about Wil Wade and LSU's penalties lately?)

https://theathletic.com/2279826/2020/12/...-texas-am/
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2021 08:58 PM by TerryD.)
01-21-2021 08:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Renandpat Offline
1st String

I Root For: Central State
(01-21-2021 08:48 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Its pretty minor all around. Several other schools got hit with the same "penalties: for the same "violations".

No bowl ban.

Apparently, Washington's head coached turned in several programs (Florida, Texas A&M, ND) over a Seattle area recruit.

Do you guys recall similar headlines and stories when Florida and A&M were penalized? I don't.

(Maybe it is because Brian Kelly took a photo with a kid..."Gasp"....anyone hear about Wil Wade and LSU's penalties lately?)

Not for Texas A&M, but in late December, most of us were shocked when the Gators announced Mullen was hit with a show cause and didn't participate in most recruiting this past Fall.
01-22-2021 08:10 AM
TerryD Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Notre Dame
(01-22-2021 08:10 AM)Renandpat Wrote:  
(01-21-2021 08:48 PM)TerryD Wrote:  Its pretty minor all around. Several other schools got hit with the same "penalties: for the same "violations".

No bowl ban.

Not for Texas A&M, but in late December, most of us were shocked when the Gators announced Mullen was hit with a show cause and didn't participate in most recruiting this past Fall.

I missed it. If I had seen it, I would have shrugged it off as insignificant.
01-22-2021 09:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Hum, P12 coaches starting to get prickly over West Coast players being recruited by SEC and others.
01-22-2021 02:08 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(01-22-2021 02:08 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Hum, P12 coaches starting to get prickly over West Coast players being recruited by SEC and others.

Not sure they want to play that game.
01-23-2021 11:20 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(01-21-2021 04:48 PM)Alanda Wrote:  One more thing to add to my "NCAA is annoying" list.

The funny thing is, it is possible that taking a picture with the kid could have slightly swayed him in Notre Dame's direction. But I would think that declining to take the picture would have an even more adverse negative impact, as in "this guy is a jerk". So you are damned if you do or don't.

Bottom line is, by all accounts, the coach did not initiate the picture situation, so that should not be a violation.
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2021 11:28 AM by quo vadis.)
01-23-2021 11:28 AM
Advertisement

Rob3338 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: uc

If we listed all of the idiotic, foolish, inappropriate things that the NCAA has done the list would stretch from Brazil to a galaxy far, far away. Why don't we just pull football and basketball out and give them the olympic sports to screw up?
01-26-2021 10:00 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(01-26-2021 10:00 AM)Rob3338 Wrote:  

If we listed all of the idiotic, foolish, inappropriate things that the NCAA has done the list would stretch from Brazil to a galaxy far, far away. Why don't we just pull football and basketball out and give them the olympic sports to screw up?

Fine by me. Only 1/5th of NCAA postseason revenue is distributed to the basketball schools. That's nearly $700 million per year that's sitting on the table. And realistically about half of it should belong to the top 20 programs.

It would clearly set Kentucky & UNC up to be more valuable than Auburn & Clemson. It would start the P5s scrambling to add UConn, Cincinnati, and Memphis.

Which is why, of course, it will never happen.
01-26-2021 10:35 AM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(01-26-2021 10:35 AM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(01-26-2021 10:00 AM)Rob3338 Wrote:  

Fine by me. Only 1/5th of NCAA postseason revenue is distributed to the basketball schools. That's nearly $700 million per year that's sitting on the table. And realistically about half of it should belong to the top 20 programs.

It would clearly set Kentucky & UNC up to be more valuable than Auburn & Clemson. It would start the P5s scrambling to add UConn, Cincinnati, and Memphis.

Which is why, of course, it will never happen.

So who are the "basketball schools" if not the 358 members of D-I? Very little of the NCAA revenues are "sitting on the table", and none are earmarked for "football schools".
01-26-2021 12:28 PM
Advertisement

solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW

No bowl ban.

what did the assistant coach do?

Isnt a show cause penalty on an assistant like a death sentence to his career?
01-26-2021 12:33 PM
domer1978 Offline
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(01-26-2021 12:33 PM)solohawks Wrote:  

No bowl ban.

what did the assistant coach do?

Isnt a show cause penalty on an assistant like a death sentence to his career?

Texting during non contact period. It is a 6 month show cause. I don't know if Lyght is coaching anywhere right now.
01-26-2021 12:35 PM
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
South Carolina once got hit with penalties for providing a cookie cake for recruits on a visit that had icing on it. The rule says food and drinks are OK, which meant that a plain cookie cake would have been fine. But icing make the cookie cake an impermissible, luxury food option.
(This post was last modified: 02-01-2021 03:44 PM by Gamecock.)
02-01-2021 03:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.