Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Game thread: Buffalo
Bookmark and Share
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
Due to this ugly season thus far, I'm willing to bet that many of you totally forgot that we play Buffalo at 2:00 today.

We haven't had a game thread in a while, so I figured I'd create a new one.
01-21-2021 01:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

FrankAnderson Offline
All American

RE: Game thread: Buffalo
Okongo and Love have been practicing, and Okongo will dress today.
01-21-2021 02:00 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Off to horrible start. This team has not been playing competitive basketball at all lately. Playing below their talent level.
01-21-2021 02:34 PM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

We improved offensively over the course of the half to cut it down to 10 at the half.

But '79 is right. The first 8 minutes or so looked like Wayne State vs a Top 25 team.
01-21-2021 02:57 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I dont want to be too harsh but it's time to get a new coach and refresh the program. Ditto the players. Turn in the cards and get a new hand.
01-21-2021 03:51 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Totally forgot there was a game today. Such a shame. Never thought I’d be apathetic about Murphy’s program, as he always had a competitive MAC team at least. You’re all right, it’s time for a change.
01-21-2021 06:10 PM
Advertisement

Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(01-21-2021 03:51 PM)emu79 Wrote:  I dont want to be too harsh but it's time to get a new coach and refresh the program. Ditto the players. Turn in the cards and get a new hand.

James I agree with you on the coach, the players not so much. Seven of them are listed as Seniors which likely means all of them can transfer and play immediately elsewhere. If they want to come back next year, however, I would have no problem with that. It would also give the new coach a soft landing for his first year.

Rob has a clear defined strategy for playing basketball that he won't deviate from, but in the tenth year one must admit that it has been an abject failure. Groce, Montero, Morgan, McBride, James, Gibson, Binelli and for that matter Ballard have all shown potential. Unfortunately Murphy has not shown that he cannot truly develop and nurture talent, it is who he is. I would love to see the aforementioned players get a chance with a new coach and a new approach.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2021 06:50 PM by Jerry Weaver.)
01-21-2021 06:49 PM
TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

Body language says a lot. I didn't watch today (work) but from what I've seen it looks like Murphy has given up and has no enthusiasm for the job anymore. The entire thing is lifeless. The scary thing is, it has spilled over to the fans and now we are apathetic.

As soon as this season is over just set him free and get a guy with positive energy.
01-21-2021 06:49 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(01-21-2021 06:10 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Totally forgot there was a game today. Such a shame. Never thought I’d be apathetic about Murphy’s program, as he always had a competitive MAC team at least. You’re all right, it’s time for a change.

After EMU let Chad go, I checked out of EMU winter sports.

Guess I'm waiting for the Wiz to begin playing again (they are 'paused'). BTW, in D.C. the Wizard are paused, G'town is paused, Howard is paused, George Washington is paused, American U has played TWO games this season. (BTW, I'm using 'paused' to mean not currently playing games). Don't ask me what the hell is happening in D.C.

All we do in D.C. is listen to politicians and watch fireworks. Fireworks were great last night. I taped the concert. Didn't know we were having fireworks or I'd driven near to watch.

That said, ABC said that the fireworks could be heard within 15 miles, which includes me...
01-21-2021 07:21 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(01-21-2021 07:21 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-21-2021 06:10 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  Totally forgot there was a game today. Such a shame. Never thought I’d be apathetic about Murphy’s program, as he always had a competitive MAC team at least. You’re all right, it’s time for a change.

Guess I'm waiting for the Wiz to begin playing again (they are 'paused'). BTW, in D.C. the Wizard are paused, G'town is paused, Howard is paused, George Washington is paused, American U has played TWO games this season. (BTW, I'm using 'paused' to mean not currently playing games). Don't ask me what the hell is happening in D.C.

All we do in D.C. is listen to politicians and watch fireworks. Fireworks were great last night. I taped the concert. Didn't know we were having fireworks or I'd driven near to watch.

That said, ABC said that the fireworks could be heard within 15 miles, which includes me...

I was at work today and listened to the game. Helmer presents an admirable effort but he indeed is NOT Chad Bush. Obviously this was a monetary decision, I would be curious to know how much EMU saved.
01-21-2021 08:23 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

You nailed it, Frank. I had no idea either. Apathy about EMU basketball has set in for the first time in my life. While Murphy is a large part of that, I also think the quirky COVID year has played a part as well. In any case, thanks for the reminder. [/align]
01-21-2021 11:47 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-21-2021 08:23 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

I was at work today and listened to the game. Helmer presents an admirable effort but he indeed is NOT Chad Bush. Obviously this was a monetary decision, I would be curious to know how much EMU saved.

Yep. To quote Super. For me, EMU hoops broadcasting has been a "clusterf**k" this year.

It's been, "Who?"

I turned on a EMU WBB game for a few minutes and it was Dannie Rogers (?). Who? Someone from UofM???

How did we get here?

EDIT: Television ESPN3
Ryan Wooley (pxp), Dannie Rogers (analyst)
(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021 03:07 AM by emu steve.)
01-22-2021 02:20 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

I’m thankful we still have Wooley. I think he does a great job. Hopefully he doesn’t leave us for greener pastures.

Barring a massive late season surge, I can’t imagine us renewing Murphy’s contract. He’s been known to finish seasons strong, but I just don’t see it with this team. We don’t have the personnel to execute the zone properly, and couple that with our lack of an offensive system makes us merely a bad MAC team. I do think there is talent here, and I hope most of them stick around for whoever our new coach is. But this can’t continue into next season.
01-22-2021 06:18 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-21-2021 06:49 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(01-21-2021 03:51 PM)emu79 Wrote:  I dont want to be too harsh but it's time to get a new coach and refresh the program. Ditto the players. Turn in the cards and get a new hand.

James I agree with you on the coach, the players not so much. Seven of them are listed as Seniors which likely means all of them can transfer and play immediately elsewhere. If they want to come back next year, however, I would have no problem with that. It would also give the new coach a soft landing for his first year.

Rob has a clear defined strategy for playing basketball that he won't deviate from, but in the tenth year one must admit that it has been an abject failure. Groce, Montero, Morgan, McBride, James, Gibson, Binelli and for that matter Ballard have all shown potential. Unfortunately Murphy has not shown that he cannot truly develop and nurture talent, it is who he is. I would love to see the aforementioned players get a chance with a new coach and a new approach.

Jerry, a new coach has a right to bright in a new system and players that fit their system. That's only fair to the new coach.
01-22-2021 06:19 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-22-2021 02:20 AM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-21-2021 08:23 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

Yep. To quote Super. For me, EMU hoops broadcasting has been a "clusterf**k" this year.

It's been, "Who?"

I turned on a EMU WBB game for a few minutes and it was Dannie Rogers (?). Who? Someone from UofM???

How did we get here?

EDIT: Television ESPN3
Ryan Wooley (pxp), Dannie Rogers (analyst)

Just repeating a theme I have been making for a few months:

1). Sports Info does a fantastic job in terms of website, social media, press releases, signing shows, etc. etc. They are as good as a fan would want.

2). Don't know how we got into this mess on broadcasting games. One theory, and yes I read it here, is that when Helmer, not Chad, got PxP on FB when Shep went off to do the Tigers for September (2018?) it meant another mouth at the table. Nothing against Tom, but we had a full compliment of staff to handle FB, MBB and WBB. So we have Tom only doing FB pre-game? Was the decision to make him a FB/MBB/WBB broadcaster? Chad became the odd man out? Crazy game of having too many people for too few chairs.
01-22-2021 07:56 AM
Bob Wickersham Offline
Heisman

Chad works in sales, broadcasting is a side job. I think EMU wanted more visibility with a full time, known sportscaster. Nothing against Chad Bush but I think EMU sportscasting was more of a hobby for him. He's also a CMU guy, so...
01-22-2021 08:49 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(01-22-2021 08:49 AM)Bob Wickersham Wrote:  

Chad works in sales, broadcasting is a side job. I think EMU wanted more visibility with a full time, known sportscaster. Nothing against Chad Bush but I think EMU sportscasting was more of a hobby for him. He's also a CMU guy, so...

I believe his degree is from Wayne State. Think he may have gone to CMU to play FB and then went to WSU.

His brother played MAC FB at Kent, I believe.

I have an undergrad from Wayne State and married a Chip. Pls. don't hold it against me. 03-lmfao
01-22-2021 10:43 AM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(01-22-2021 06:18 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  I’m thankful we still have Wooley. I think he does a great job. Hopefully he doesn’t leave us for greener pastures.

Barring a massive late season surge, I can’t imagine us renewing Murphy’s contract. He’s been known to finish seasons strong, but I just don’t see it with this team. We don’t have the personnel to execute the zone properly, and couple that with our lack of an offensive system makes us merely a bad MAC team. I do think there is talent here, and I hope most of them stick around for whoever our new coach is. But this can’t continue into next season.

That post is a bullseye! There is nothing to remotely disagree with.

James '79 I agree that a new coach deserves to go get his own players and shape the program as he desires. That being said, all of those seniors give him a more comfortable first year while doing so, making the job far more attractive. I don't want the guy recruiting a whole new roster in the pandemic. Just my opinion.
01-22-2021 06:44 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-22-2021 06:44 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  
(01-22-2021 06:18 AM)EagleSam Wrote:  I’m thankful we still have Wooley. I think he does a great job. Hopefully he doesn’t leave us for greener pastures.

That post is a bullseye! There is nothing to remotely disagree with.

James '79 I agree that a new coach deserves to go get his own players and shape the program as he desires. That being said, all of those seniors give him a more comfortable first year while doing so, making the job far more attractive. I don't want the guy recruiting a whole new roster in the pandemic. Just my opinion.

Because of the transfer rule and added year of eligibity a new coach would have lots to choose from either transfers jucos or high school
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2021 02:37 AM by emu79.)
01-22-2021 08:05 PM
holybovine Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Eastern Michigan
When the coach leaves, most of the players will leave too. Seniors or not.

Time for a complete reset and a blank canvas for the new hire.
01-22-2021 10:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.