5 games in 9 days to finish out January for the Men's Basketball Team
Bookmark and Share
Dukester Online

I Root For: JMU
5 games in 9 days to finish out January for the Men's Basketball Team
Saturday & Sunday - @ Northeastern
Wednesday - vs Towson
Saturday and Sunday - vs C of C

Arguably 4 games versus top 4 CAA opponents.

This will be an early season measuring stick - if all the games are played. 03-lmfao

High 5's around if this team wins 3 of the next 5. If so, we might have to move bar up for this year. 2 wins would be about par, but certainly an improvements over the prior 4 years. Unless this team is mainly non-competitive I will continued to be happy with our progression.

Five game in 9 days is typically not a big deal, but playing 5 games in 9 days would be something this team has not yet done. We seem to have a lot of players available, so I'm far from concerned.

Really interested in how these next 5 games playout.

I'm not seeing any great teams in the CAA this year, so anything is possible. At this point I'd guess Hofstra, NU, and Drexel are the top 3.

This is a building block season for me, but in a year with no overly impressive teams.... 03-phew03-idea
01-19-2021 09:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Jmu
RE: 5 games in 9 days to finish out January for the Men's Basketball Team
(01-19-2021 09:30 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Saturday & Sunday - @ Northeastern
Wednesday - vs Towson

This will be an early season measuring stick - if all the games are played. 03-lmfao

High 5's around if this team wins 3 of the next 5. If so, we might have to move bar up for this year. 2 wins would be about par, but certainly an improvements over the prior 4 years. Unless this team is mainly non-competitive I will continued to be happy with our progression.

Five game in 9 days is typically not a big deal, but playing 5 games in 9 days would be something this team has not yet done. We seem to have a lot of players available, so I'm far from concerned.

I'm not seeing any great teams in the CAA this year, so anything is possible. At this point I'd guess Hofstra, NU, and Drexel are the top 3.

This is a building block season for me, but in a year with no overly impressive teams.... 03-phew03-idea

Drexel is currently 1-3 in league. I’m not saying they won’t be heard from near the top but I think their next two this weekend have been postponed vs Elon who is in pause.
01-19-2021 09:46 AM
Hart Foundation Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
I agree that there are no great teams in the CAA this year. JMU could win all 5 and it wouldn’t shock me. JMU could lose all 5 and it wouldn’t shock me.
There is minimal homecourt advantage with no fans so it is easier to snatch some of these road games Compared to a regular year.

CoC is struggling after losing their best player Galloway to injury. He was also their best defender in coach Grant’s Preferred ball pressure defense.

Coen is the best coach in the CAA so we will see how coach By matches up with him. The Huskies lost 3 key starters and 2 additional transfers from their rotation, yet here he is again with a competitive team. Players come and go, but in college hoops the coach = the program.
01-19-2021 12:04 PM
olddawg Offline
Hall of Famer

I think we can finish in the top 3rd if we figure out a way to leverage our depth. We don't lose a ton by bringing in our second 5. Other teams won't have that luxury. With the way the schedule will set up, that should really play to our advantage.
01-19-2021 01:09 PM
Advertisement

JMUNation Offline
All American

The crowd at Northeastern this weekend will be roughly what it is without COVID i.e. a mostly empty gym. They might have the least amount of home court advantage in non-Covid years. I question why they even play basketball there.

Coen is a great coach.
01-19-2021 01:14 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
(01-19-2021 09:46 AM)NJDuke97 Wrote:  
(01-19-2021 09:30 AM)Dukester Wrote:  Saturday & Sunday - @ Northeastern
Wednesday - vs Towson

Drexel is currently 1-3 in league. I’m not saying they won’t be heard from near the top but I think their next two this weekend have been postponed vs Elon who is in pause.

With complete choke jobs against CofC and W&M, it is hard to truly see Drexel as a top 3/4 team. They should be, but if you cant close games out you wont finish at the top. Blew double digit lead in 2nd half of both games against CofC and held W&M without a field goal for the final 7:35, and even held a 9 point lead with under 4 to go and found a way to lose that one as well. Drexel may be the most talented team this year in the CAA, but they just are not right and cant seem to improve and get over the hump.
01-19-2021 01:39 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-19-2021 01:14 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  The crowd at Northeastern this weekend will be roughly what it is without COVID i.e. a mostly empty gym. They might have the least amount of home court advantage in non-Covid years. I question why they even play basketball there.

Coen is a great coach.

Not wrong, but that place is an absolute freezer. So some advantage there for them as the rest of the league plays in arenas without ice rinks.
01-19-2021 01:45 PM
Advertisement

Dukester Online

(01-19-2021 01:45 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  
(01-19-2021 01:14 PM)JMUNation Wrote:  The crowd at Northeastern this weekend will be roughly what it is without COVID i.e. a mostly empty gym. They might have the least amount of home court advantage in non-Covid years. I question why they even play basketball there.

Coen is a great coach.

Not wrong, but that place is an absolute freezer. So some advantage there for them as the rest of the league plays in arenas without ice rinks.

In listening to our two coaches, they both seem quite focused and how to motivate and coach for the second of the back to back games that this season presents. Coach B was stating the obvious, it's a lot easier to get motivated to beat a team you lost to the day before, than one you beat.
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021 02:40 PM by Dukester.)
01-19-2021 02:40 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

Coen is a great coach.

Very tough place to play though- I believe their court sits over top their ice rink so the floor and arena probably feel different to the visitors.
01-19-2021 02:41 PM
Dukester Online

Towson just finished off a two game sweep of UNCW today. Still a bit hard to know what to take from the hot shooting win at Towson. For sure I'm glad we got the win. These next 5 games should tell us a lot more about where we are right now.
01-19-2021 03:29 PM
Advertisement

NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

(01-19-2021 03:29 PM)Dukester Wrote:  Towson just finished off a two game sweep of UNCW today. Still a bit hard to know what to take from the hot shooting win at Towson. For sure I'm glad we got the win. These next 5 games should tell us a lot more about where we are right now.

Keep in mind Towson’s best offensive player Zack Martin was out unexpectedly for the JMU game. He played the last two vs UNCW. I think they will put up a tougher fight in Harrisonburg next week.
01-19-2021 08:47 PM
NJDuke97 Offline
Heisman

The few things that JMU will I believe have to contend with in the Caa are:

1) effective bigs- thinking Butler (Drexel) and Painter (Delaware) will challenge our interior guys most

2) Northeastern’s coaching and system- year in year out the toughest team to defend in the league and have owned JMU for some time now

3) Charleston’s defense - usually the best and grittiest in the league

I’m sure Hofstra will be heard from as well. Ray one of their guards has always lit JMU up and hit some big shots against us.
01-19-2021 08:51 PM
Centdukesfan Online
All American

I Root For: Dukes, bud
Charleston game postponed. This is all so stupid
01-20-2021 10:04 AM
Advertisement

AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Which D3 team are we calling into action that week? 03-lmfao

At least we still have this weekend's games and Wed against Towson. That gives us some time to find a replacement for the weekend. If we can do it in two days, we can do it in 10.
01-20-2021 10:58 AM
jmu98 Online
All American

(01-20-2021 10:58 AM)AssyrianDuke Wrote:  Which D3 team are we calling into action that week? 03-lmfao

At least we still have this weekend's games and Wed against Towson. That gives us some time to find a replacement for the weekend. If we can do it in two days, we can do it in 10.

I don't think we can schedule another OOC game if we think we will play all conference games as we are already at max. Hopefully, whoever UNCW is supposed to play next week gets Covid and we can just do the make up with them.
01-20-2021 11:40 AM
Dukester Online

Well if Hofstra get's covid we can substitute UNCW that weekend.

The measuring stick got a little shorter. 03-lmfao
(This post was last modified: 01-20-2021 11:47 AM by Dukester.)
01-20-2021 11:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.