Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Pentagon denies Trump his military style goodbye
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
Pentagon denies Trump his military style goodbye
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...arade.html

Quote:The Pentagon will break with recent tradition by refusing to engage in an armed forces farewell or throw Donald Trump's requested military-style parade as the president leaves office on Wednesday.
01-17-2021 08:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
RE: Pentagon denies Trump his military style goodbye
One of the things I’m grateful to Trump for is rejecting most of the worthless/irrelevant advice provided by the JCS and their hangers-on. It’s understandable they would lash out at him now as he’s on the way out, but so what.
01-17-2021 08:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
shere khan Offline
Southerner

I Root For: Tulane
They are too busy enforcing the installation of Chairman Joe and occupying DC.
01-17-2021 09:10 PM
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
Dumb military*
01-18-2021 08:29 AM
Advertisement

TheOriginalBigApp Offline
1st String

I Root For: Appalachian
(01-17-2021 09:10 PM)shere khan Wrote:  They are too busy wasting millions of $$$ enforcing the installation of Chairman Joe and occupying DC.

FYP 03-shhhh
01-18-2021 08:34 AM
Native Georgian Offline
Legend

I Root For: TULANE+GA.STATE
(01-18-2021 08:29 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  Dumb generals and admirals*
Agreed.
01-18-2021 08:35 AM
Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
What this means is that Trump failed to rid the top brass of those who were promoted based on political allegiance during the Obama years. With a Biden/Harris administration, those political lackeys will become even more entrenched. The real problem is that those guys love a fight (as long as their underlings are doing the fighting and dying) but don't have a clue how to win that fight.

If a republican truly interested in national security wins in 2024, one of his/her first moves needs to be an anti-leftist purge of the Pentagon. If not, those incompetents are going to be so well entrenched that we will not be able to win a war.

I am reading a book right now that asks two very striking questions:
1) When is the last time the USA won a war?
2) When is the last time a USA military officer distinguished himself with strong strategic or tactical decision-making?

My answers would be WWII and the Inchon landing in Korea. That is way, way too long ago. And I would add a third question:

3) When is the last time that the USA made a major procurement decision that made any sense?

I don't know the answer to that one.

We spend 16% of our military budget on combat, 7% on combat support, and 77% on administration/overhead, per a study by consulting firm McKinsey at https://defense-aerospace.com/dae/articl...ce_VF.pdf. We could spend 25% more on combat (which we need) 25% more on combat support (which we really, really need) and 25% less on administration/overhead, and reduce the defense budget by $100B. We have more people in and around the Pentagon today than it took to win WWII, for no good reason.

Pulling out of the Mideast, and never fighting a war that we don't intend to win, would save another $65B. But those generals who love to play army while sending somebody else's sons and daughters out to be killed would be crushed. We used to get them in Vietnam. Major would come out from the Pentagon, he's up for LTCOL but has no combat experience because he missed Korea. So he comes out to get a box checked. He has a hissy fit because nobody is wearing rank insignia or saluting, and they all need haircuts. Sergeant takes him aside and tries to explain that we are kind of busy fighting a war and that we don't salute or wear rank insignia because Charlie is hiding in the trees and if he sees us all saluting somebody, then that's who he kills. Major is indignant, we are going to be a military organization. Two weeks later he fills in a box--the one they ship him home in.
(This post was last modified: 01-18-2021 09:53 AM by Owl 69/70/75.)
01-18-2021 09:53 AM
Advertisement

BartlettTigerFan Offline
Have gun Will travel

I Root For: Freedom
Or

He's not leaving. 05-stirthepot
01-18-2021 10:05 AM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators
(01-18-2021 10:05 AM)BartlettTigerFan Wrote:  Or

20,000 NG troops will have something to say about that...05-nono
01-18-2021 10:07 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
swagsurfer11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC
(01-18-2021 08:35 AM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
Agreed.

"There is nobody bigger and better at military than I am."
01-18-2021 10:08 AM
Advertisement

Owl 69/70/75 Offline
Just an old rugby coach

I Root For: RiceBathChelsea

DonatorsNew Orleans Bowl
(01-18-2021 10:08 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  
Agreed.

Given how dumb our current top brass are, he might actually be right.
01-18-2021 10:12 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-18-2021 09:53 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  What this means is that Trump failed to rid the top brass of those who were promoted based on political allegiance during the Obama years. With a Biden/Harris administration, those political lackeys will become even more entrenched. The real problem is that those guys love a fight (as long as their underlings are doing the fighting and dying) but don't have a clue how to win that fight.

If a republican truly interested in national security wins in 2024, one of his/her first moves needs to be an anti-leftist purge of the Pentagon. If not, those incompetents are going to be so well entrenched that we will not be able to win a war.

I am reading a book right now that asks two very striking questions:
1) When is the last time the USA won a war?
2) When is the last time a USA military officer distinguished himself with strong strategic or tactical decision-making?

My answers would be WWII and the Inchon landing in Korea. That is way, way too long ago. And I would add a third question:

3) When is the last time that the USA made a major procurement decision that made any sense?

I don't know the answer to that one.

We spend 16% of our military budget on combat, 7% on combat support, and 77% on administration/overhead, per a study by consulting firm McKinsey at https://defense-aerospace.com/dae/articl...ce_VF.pdf. We could spend 25% more on combat (which we need) 25% more on combat support (which we really, really need) and 25% less on administration/overhead, and reduce the defense budget by $100B. We have more people in and around the Pentagon today than it took to win WWII, for no good reason.

Pulling out of the Mideast, and never fighting a war that we don't intend to win, would save another $65B. But those generals who love to play army while sending somebody else's sons and daughters out to be killed would be crushed. We used to get them in Vietnam. Major would come out from the Pentagon, he's up for LTCOL but has no combat experience because he missed Korea. So he comes out to get a box checked. He has a hissy fit because nobody is wearing rank insignia or saluting, and they all need haircuts. Sergeant takes him aside and tries to explain that we are kind of busy fighting a war and that we don't salute or wear rank insignia because Charlie is hiding in the trees and if he sees us all saluting somebody, then that's who he kills. Major is indignant, we are going to be a military organization. Two weeks later he fills in a box--the one they ship him home in.

Well said. 04-cheers
01-18-2021 10:16 AM
DownEastPirate Offline
1st String

I Root For: East Carolina
Considering Trump is one of few presidents to not get us into conflicts and actually promote peace with other countries he's probably not very popular among the military complex officials.
01-18-2021 10:25 AM
Advertisement

UofMstateU Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(01-18-2021 10:07 AM)UofMemphis Wrote:  
(01-18-2021 10:05 AM)BartlettTigerFan Wrote:  Or

20,000 NG troops will have something to say about that...05-nono

The group that had their votes for Trump thrown into a ditch by Biden*?

lulz
01-18-2021 11:45 AM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(01-18-2021 10:12 AM)Owl 69/70/75 Wrote:  
(01-18-2021 10:08 AM)swagsurfer11 Wrote:  
Agreed.

Given how dumb our current top brass are, he might actually be right.

Yup. I suspect there is a massive difference between how the top Pentagon brass view Trump and how the rank and file military view Trump
01-18-2021 11:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.