Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

"N. Illinois seeks revenge on Ball State"
Bookmark and Share
El Duderino Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
"N. Illinois seeks revenge on Ball State"
10.5 pt. spread. Better than yesterday when it was 12.5.

Not looking good. BSU beat BGSU at BG by 24 this past Tuesday. BGSU beat NIU by 26 hours before Monty was terminated.
01-16-2021 12:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

HuskieDave Offline
All American

I Root For: The NIU Huskies
RE: "N. Illinois seeks revenge on Ball State"
Ugh. Down 17-6.
01-16-2021 01:18 PM
thxjoenovak Offline
Heisman

5 of 25 from the field
01-16-2021 01:45 PM
ChicagoHuskie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Huskies cannot get a break w refs today
01-16-2021 02:20 PM
Advertisement

HuskieDave Offline
All American

(01-16-2021 02:20 PM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  Huskies cannot get a break w refs today

Ah, this is Not a referee problem.
01-16-2021 02:23 PM
ChicagoHuskie Offline
1st String

(01-16-2021 02:23 PM)HuskieDave Wrote:  
(01-16-2021 02:20 PM)ChicagoHuskie Wrote:  Huskies cannot get a break w refs today

I agree 100%, just frustrated. Beane several drives around the bucket where he cant get a call
01-16-2021 02:28 PM
ChicagoHuskie Offline
1st String

Getway behind early, make a run to make it somewhat interesting, then miss layups, free throws, makes turnovers to let game get away at the end.... rinse, repeat
01-16-2021 02:52 PM
Advertisement

17Huskies Offline
Heisman

Well we can't be greedy and expect 2 good games in a row...
01-16-2021 03:05 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(01-16-2021 03:05 PM)17Huskies Wrote:  Well we can't be greedy and expect 2 good games in a row...

THIS I totally agree with.

However....

I wasn't able to watch today but being Ball State, I knew they'd struggle and oh did they struggle.

I checked the stats and man oh man the numbers are bad. Hankerson and Beane were borderline terrible. Granted, I haven't seen the game (I'm not planning on seeing it) and reading just the statline is unfair, but it's plainly obvious...shut those two down and you'll most likely hold NIU between 50 to 60 points.

With that said, is Lee hurt again? He only played 17 minutes and was a non-factor. Coming off of the last game, you'd think he'd be more involved..however, after Tuesday's press conference when Coach said what he did about his injuries, I'm suspecting he wasn't 100% (or really all that close to it).

It's so frustrating knowing that you've got a sophomore on the team who could be a serious gamechanger (and the best player on the team) and you maybe can count on him about 25% of the games.
01-17-2021 12:02 AM
El Duderino Offline
Special Teams

No, it kind of was a referee problem. Beane was driving to the basket the entire game (3-13 fg), not a single foul called (0-0 ft).
Both teams shot 75% FT, BSU had 16 more FT and made 12 more. NIU was being called for every little ticky tack foul (questionable) but nothing at the other end. Even the TV announcers mentioned Chapman was getting upset about it. I am not a big complainer of referees but I did mention it during the game and my friend responded "home field advantage"!!!
I wouldn't take NIU with 10.5 points on a team that just beat by 24 the team that beat us by 26. We did close within 9 in the 2nd half but that 6th man was too much!

Not gonna win to many games shooting 35% FG. Beane (3-13) Hankerson (4-16) wasn't working. Fun stat - the rest of the team shot 44%! But someone has to take the shot (classic NIU problem). I miss Cochran out there - step aside when a 220LBS FB comin at ya in the lane!
01-17-2021 09:36 AM
Advertisement

HuskieDave Offline
All American

(01-17-2021 09:36 AM)El Duderino Wrote:  

No, it kind of was a referee problem. Beane was driving to the basket the entire game (3-13 fg), not a single foul called (0-0 ft).
Both teams shot 75% FT, BSU had 16 more FT and made 12 more. NIU was being called for every little ticky tack foul (questionable) but nothing at the other end. Even the TV announcers mentioned Chapman was getting upset about it. I am not a big complainer of referees but I did mention it during the game and my friend responded "home field advantage"!!!
I wouldn't take NIU with 10.5 points on a team that just beat by 24 the team that beat us by 26. We did close within 9 in the 2nd half but that 6th man was too much!

Not gonna win to many games shooting 35% FG. Beane (3-13) Hankerson (4-16) wasn't working. Fun stat - the rest of the team shot 44%! But someone has to take the shot (classic NIU problem). I miss Cochran out there - step aside when a 220LBS FB comin at ya in the lane!

Absolutely NOT a referee problem. We were NEVER in that game. We were down 10-12 points almost immediately and never got closer than 9 points after that. I believe it was 17-6 right from the start. The announcers citing Chapman as being upset is meaningless, as he is hardly an unbiased opinion. Ball State is a substantially better team and it showed.
01-17-2021 12:24 PM
El Duderino Offline
Special Teams

"Absolutely NOT a referee problem.' Provide evidence supporting your argument, as I provided evidence that the referees were a problem. Ball State being a "better team" kind of goes with out saying this season as an unbiased opinion might say that every team in the MAC is a better team (but I'm biased so I won't say that).
In our first meeting against BSU this season we took them to overtime but maybe we had a better coach then, or NIU has gotten worse, or BSU has gotten better, OR the referees were a problem!!!

Again, statistical data evidencing the referees as a problem: NIU had 8 FT attempts, BSU had 24. Chapman wasn't upset about the calls against NIU. Chapman was upset about the lack of calls at the other end.

" The announcers citing Chapman as being upset is meaningless, as he is hardly an unbiased opinion." Are you saying the NIU coach might be biased??? And therefore what the coach says is meaningless!!! Whatever.

You could have condensed your post into 2 words: NIU sucks! But I am biased and try to find some positives in every game. I clearly indicated BSU was the better team when I said I wouldn't take NIU with 10.5 points. But 'to make it interesting' I consider it a moral victory to beat the spread. Of the 4 games Chapman has coached this was the first one NIU lost the 2nd half. That is something to build on. NIU was down by 14 in the 2nd half against Ohio and Beane missed the tying shot at the end of the game. We didn't suck.

We were down by 15 at the half against BSU. We closed to 9 with 10 minutes left in the game and weren't sucking at that point. Our momentum was sapped by ticky tack fouls.
01-18-2021 03:22 PM
HuskieDave Offline
All American

(01-18-2021 03:22 PM)El Duderino Wrote:  "Absolutely NOT a referee problem.' Provide evidence supporting your argument, as I provided evidence that the referees were a problem. Ball State being a "better team" kind of goes with out saying this season as an unbiased opinion might say that every team in the MAC is a better team (but I'm biased so I won't say that).
In our first meeting against BSU this season we took them to overtime but maybe we had a better coach then, or NIU has gotten worse, or BSU has gotten better, OR the referees were a problem!!!

Again, statistical data evidencing the referees as a problem: NIU had 8 FT attempts, BSU had 24. Chapman wasn't upset about the calls against NIU. Chapman was upset about the lack of calls at the other end.

" The announcers citing Chapman as being upset is meaningless, as he is hardly an unbiased opinion." Are you saying the NIU coach might be biased??? And therefore what the coach says is meaningless!!! Whatever.

You could have condensed your post into 2 words: NIU sucks! But I am biased and try to find some positives in every game. I clearly indicated BSU was the better team when I said I wouldn't take NIU with 10.5 points. But 'to make it interesting' I consider it a moral victory to beat the spread. Of the 4 games Chapman has coached this was the first one NIU lost the 2nd half. That is something to build on. NIU was down by 14 in the 2nd half against Ohio and Beane missed the tying shot at the end of the game. We didn't suck.

We were down by 15 at the half against BSU. We closed to 9 with 10 minutes left in the game and weren't sucking at that point. Our momentum was sapped by ticky tack fouls.

So free throw attempt differential is immediately assigned to a “referee problem”.........when just maybe there was a committed foul differential. Look we are 2-10, 1-6. This is an awful team and, my point was only that referees are NOT costing us games.

I am not trying to get into a debate, but, a twenty point loss, particularly when we were never closer than about nine points, is not due to the referees. We were NEVER in that game. We will just have to disagree and, it doesn’t make any difference, we are still 2-10, 1-6.
01-18-2021 04:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.