Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GameAbove
Bookmark and Share
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
GameAbove
Adding some familiar, very important alums to their advisory board.

https://www.gameabove.com/news-articles/...sory-board

It is times, especially like these, that groups such as GameAbove play a truly important role in the life of a university.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021 01:15 PM by emu steve.)
01-15-2021 01:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Ken Barna Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
RE: GameAbove
Dear steve,
Thanks for that information. It's the first time i've read anything about them, and whom some of the players are.
01-15-2021 02:14 PM
KPJ Offline
1st String

I didn’t realize that Boykins was on staff with a DI program now. That’s great.
01-15-2021 04:30 PM
cidbearit Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: MSU
I love that they are also funding community benefit programs in Ypsilanti!
01-15-2021 05:16 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

02-18-2021 03:31 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I was really pissed when Keith Stone pulled his Power2Change donation.

That said, he seems to be the clear leader of Game Above and their efforts have been admirable.
02-18-2021 06:52 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

As I have posted many times, EMU is really, really moving in the right direction. Hard to do better than SAPC, the new health care center and Sill, now GameAbove College of Engineering and Technology.

The success of universities today, with declining population with the 18 - 22 year old demographic, is to separate themselves from others.

Get them (potential students) on EMU's campus and they'll come. Bill Fennel used to call EMU a hidden gem.

If there are any football recruits thinking of studying engineering, now is the time to sign on with EMU. EMU has it all for you.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2021 09:28 PM by emu steve.)
02-18-2021 09:17 PM
Advertisement

RamyEMU Offline
All American

It is hard to conceive how this group is able to contribute such an extraordinary amount of money to the university. I am very appreciative of their support to my beloved Alma Mater.
02-18-2021 09:47 PM
FrankAnderson Online
All American

I echo what all of you are saying. We were LONG overdue for some of these capital upgrades happening on campus. Now we have some new campus assets. Glad that Game Above is helping to make it happen.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2021 10:33 PM by FrankAnderson.)
02-18-2021 10:12 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-18-2021 09:47 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  It is hard to conceive how this group is able to contribute such an extraordinary amount of money to the university. I am very appreciative of their support to my beloved Alma Mater.

Keith Stone is a very, very successful individual.
02-18-2021 10:12 PM
Advertisement

TheWoodenNickle Offline
Heisman

(02-18-2021 09:47 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  It is hard to conceive how this group is able to contribute such an extraordinary amount of money to the university. I am very appreciative of their support to my beloved Alma Mater.
Maybe GameAbove cashed in on GameStop.
02-18-2021 10:22 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

This group, collectively, is extremely successful.

https://www.gameabove.com/advisory-board

Mat Ishbia made headlines for his contributions to MSU but this group lead by Keith Stone has what contributed 20M with many more to come. And they are doing it without headlines in the Detroit newspapers.

This group is making more 'targeted' gifts doing things which EMU would have a hard time doing during budget constraints.

This is OFF/TOPIC (O/T) but one of the good things the last year is that many people and organizations have made big bucks in the stock market (yeah, I know it sounds crazy as the country had its worse year GDP wise going back MANY decades). People and organizations are donating big bucks to universities.
(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021 04:52 AM by emu steve.)
02-19-2021 04:50 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
State of Michigan actual tax revenues from Nov 1 2020 through January 2021 are 10% higher than actual tax revenues from Nov 2019 through January 2020 according to the Michigan State Senate.
02-19-2021 08:38 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Offline
Legend

(02-19-2021 08:38 AM)emu79 Wrote:  State of Michigan actual tax revenues from Nov 1 2020 through January 2021 are 10% higher than actual tax revenues from Nov 2019 through January 2020 according to the Michigan State Senate.

Same phenomena in D.C. Here is a paragraph explaining:

"The better-than-expected revenue picture was driven by a 5 percent increase in property tax receipts, a 13 percent jump in corporate franchise tax receipts, and a 3 percent increase in individual income tax receipts, according to Taylor’s analysis. The income tax growth was due to stock market gains, as well as the taxable benefits that were dispersed during the crisis, including stimulus payments and unemployment assistance. "

https://www.washingtonian.com/2021/02/16...hat-gives/

One of the bottom line stories of 2020 is that some people and companies got crushed while other made off very well.

Lot of folks who bought low and sold high in the stock market last year have a nice tax bill they owe for 2020. S&P went from a low of 2200+ to 3900+ today. I assume many 'traded' on their gain and ineligible for capital gains tax rate (because they didn't hold the stocks long enough).
02-19-2021 10:53 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Here is an article about gifts to HBCUs. I see those given to Howard through the Washington Post.

"And MacKenzie Scott, the former wife of Amazon founder Jeff Bezos, made headlines when she left $500M of her estimated $4B fortune to a host of HBCUs, including Morgan State University and Hampton University."

https://www.bisnow.com/national/news/com...dium=email

I believe in 2020 Howard got 40M from MacKenzie Scott. I think 10M from the Bloomberg philanthropies for the med school, 5M from someone else, etc..

Good to see folks giving to colleges and universities. I think people realize the importance of STEM in our ever changing world as well as many 'older' occupations like teaching, nursing, etc. I'm talking about occupations which advance the public good and for which I believe the demand exceeds the supply of trained professionals.
(This post was last modified: 02-20-2021 09:59 AM by emu steve.)
02-20-2021 09:54 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

02-24-2021 10:45 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.