Bookmark and Share
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
Official Transfer Thread
We need a thread for just incoming and outgoing transfers:

https://twitter.com/benbryant_6/status/1...36168?s=20

Ben Bryant coming over from U Cincinnati
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2021 06:46 PM by dansplaining.)
01-07-2021 06:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
RE: Official Transfer Thread
(01-07-2021 06:45 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  We need a thread for just incoming and outgoing transfers:

I will note that I had been posting on him in the 2021 FB recruiting thread.

You can find more good info there...
01-07-2021 07:42 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(01-07-2021 07:42 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(01-07-2021 06:45 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  We need a thread for just incoming and outgoing transfers:

I will note that I had been posting on him in the 2021 FB recruiting thread.

You can find more good info there...

i just think we need one like we have recruiting - to track people coming in and leaving
01-07-2021 08:07 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

Okay. I was just referring to other posts.
01-07-2021 08:37 PM
Sellers dweller Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
I think the big issues with Bryant (6'3" 218 lbs) are (some of this was from the other post so moving it here):

1) On his twitter announcement he mentions having graduated from Cincinnati, so I figured he was a one year grad transfer. The official Cincinnati site has him listed as a RS sophomore. So I assume that mean he is still immediately eligible, and since this past season didn't count against eligible, he has three years left.

2) A pretty big time recruit for us had he come out of high school. Rivals and 247 both had him a 3-star, rivals had him the #27 duel-threat QB and #13 player in IL, and 247 had him the #39 pro-style QB and #28 player in IL. Was committed to Wisconsin but then ended up Cincinnati, had offers from those two and George, Ole Miss, BGSU, CMU, Colorado State, Temple, Western, West Virginia.

3) Was the back-up at Cincinnati but played in 16 games going 46-73 (63%) for 553 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs. Had 30 rushing attempts for 96 yards and 2 TDs.

4) What does this mean for next year? I think most of us thought Hutchinson played great last year and were looking forward to seeing him over the next few years. Bryant should provide some competition, hopefully it pushes one of them to an all-MAC level.
01-07-2021 09:13 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
(01-07-2021 09:13 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  I think the big issues with Bryant (6'3" 218 lbs) are (some of this was from the other post so moving it here):

1) On his twitter announcement he mentions having graduated from Cincinnati, so I figured he was a one year grad transfer. The official Cincinnati site has him listed as a RS sophomore. So I assume that mean he is still immediately eligible, and since this past season didn't count against eligible, he has three years left.

2) A pretty big time recruit for us had he come out of high school. Rivals and 247 both had him a 3-star, rivals had him the #27 duel-threat QB and #13 player in IL, and 247 had him the #39 pro-style QB and #28 player in IL. Was committed to Wisconsin but then ended up Cincinnati, had offers from those two and George, Ole Miss, BGSU, CMU, Colorado State, Temple, Western, West Virginia.

3) Was the back-up at Cincinnati but played in 16 games going 46-73 (63%) for 553 yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs. Had 30 rushing attempts for 96 yards and 2 TDs.

4) What does this mean for next year? I think most of us thought Hutchinson played great last year and were looking forward to seeing him over the next few years. Bryant should provide some competition, hopefully it pushes one of them to an all-MAC level.

Very interesting he would transfer in given the success Hutch had and also with Helbig coming back. I welcome him to EMU but this is surprising
01-07-2021 10:50 PM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

(01-07-2021 10:50 PM)steve4840 Wrote:  
(01-07-2021 09:13 PM)Sellers dweller Wrote:  I think the big issues with Bryant (6'3" 218 lbs) are (some of this was from the other post so moving it here):

Very interesting he would transfer in given the success Hutch had and also with Helbig coming back. I welcome him to EMU but this is surprising

Agree. We have 2 QBs with all-MAC potential.
01-08-2021 01:53 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

01-08-2021 02:35 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu

I don't think Helbig is coming back. I don't believe he is on the roster.
01-08-2021 06:50 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

(01-08-2021 06:50 AM)emu79 Wrote:  

I don't think Helbig is coming back. I don't believe he is on the roster.

I don't see him on the roster, either.

BTW, I see four contenders for PT: Hutchinson, Bryant, May and Smith. Some of the other QBs are scout team type performers and a couple are listed as QB but really WR or some other position.

Without Helbig (and before Bryant) the 2nd string QB might be an unproven QB, May. In this context, Bryant makes sense to me.

BTW, it seems like we lost one QB and gained another, a swap. Hopefully the scholarships work out right, too. Wonder if Helbig was even in school this academic year????
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2021 07:47 AM by emu steve.)
01-08-2021 07:28 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

Sorry to go partially O/T in this thread, but with the glut of returning players + new recruits, the P5 schools are stocked to the gills with too many talent.

One can look at this article about Tennessee's transfers (more than 15 in the portal) to realize that the "Covid free year" means depth in FBS teams is as deep as it has ever been.

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/...158872909/

The big question is whether the P5 players transfer to G5 schools or opt to to to FCS, which entails automatic eligibility (this has always been true; just like MBB transferring to D-II). Too bad there isn't something like verbalcommits.com to aggregate all of the transfer info without having to go school by school.

So far we have an AAC player (Bryant). I count the AAC as a 'tweener' - not P5 but more than your typical G5 conference.

Best I can see the FCS teams are doing very well, led by Jackson State, but I see other fmr 4-star players going to other SWAC schools.

My guess: Without a sitout transfer waiver from the NCAA, I suspect the FCS schools will be the big winners. Many/most transfers are not grad transfers so 2020 has been a piss poor season and who wants to sit out next season???
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2021 05:30 AM by emu steve.)
01-10-2021 05:28 AM
Advertisement

emu steve Online
Legend

One other thing no one has mentioned, we are making a stronger move into No. Illinois.

In the last 12 months we have gotten Samson Evans, Carter Evans, and now Ben Bryant, all from the Chicago suburbs/exburbs. We also signed in December a few more recruits from IL IL is really heating up for us.

Carter. Carter and Bryant are all P5 caliber players/recruits.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021 07:24 AM by emu steve.)
01-10-2021 05:32 AM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(01-10-2021 05:32 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

One other thing no one has mentioned, we are making a stronger move into No. Illinois.

In the last 12 months we have gotten Samson Evans, Carter Evans, and now Ben Bryant, all from the Chicago suburbs/exburbs. We also signed in December a few more recruits from IL IL is really heating up for us.

PJ fleck made WMU using chicagoland - theres some good recruiting out there.
01-11-2021 07:28 AM
Lefty One Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Minnesota
Surprised they did not sign 2 or 3 or 4 more.
01-13-2021 11:57 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

https://sports.yahoo.com/could-hundreds-...22627.html

This is messy and a lot of athletes will be without a scholarship.

Probably see a lot go FCS after being caught in a "numbers" game. As I've said before, smart coaches will bank some scholarships knowing that the transfer market will be ripe to shop.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021 07:34 AM by emu steve.)
01-15-2021 04:52 AM
emu steve Online
Legend

BTW, here is the 247sports transfer portal. I have it set to 'immediate' eligibility. Then pull down the position you wish and you have eligibility = immediate .and. position = (whatever you choose).

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Footba...=Immediate

Fun to play with. One can go looking for a LB. Maybe a sitout DE?
01-15-2021 07:33 AM
Advertisement

emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
(01-15-2021 04:52 AM)emu steve Wrote:  https://sports.yahoo.com/could-hundreds-...22627.html

Probably see a lot go FCS after being caught in a "numbers" game. As I've said before, smart coaches will bank some scholarships knowing that the transfer market will be ripe to shop.

FCS had same 85 player limit but only 63 full scholarships.
01-15-2021 02:06 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

(01-15-2021 02:06 PM)emu79 Wrote:  
(01-15-2021 04:52 AM)emu steve Wrote:  https://sports.yahoo.com/could-hundreds-...22627.html

FCS had same 85 player limit but only 63 full scholarships.

That is true. What I'm getting at is a 'trickle down' where FBS players who are transferring and some without FBS offers may be welcomed with open arms in FCS. They have immediate eligibility. And, again, FCS schools would be ise to 'bank' scholarships in case the 'floodgates' from FBS open.

NCAA has NOT passed the one transfer, no sitout provision within FBS so any FBS transfer who is not a grad transfer has to sit one.

P.S. That is why our QB transfer is so desirable - he is a grad transfer!!!

OTOH, if we had taken Sam Johnson III from BC he would have to sit one, unless NCAA pass the one transfer sitout in the FUTURE.

I hope those non-grad transfers realize: 1). Once you put your name in the transfer portal, you have relinquished your scholarship at your school.
2). Sitout provisions are up in the air and have not passed the NCAA governing body.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021 02:40 PM by emu steve.)
01-15-2021 02:37 PM
emu steve Online
Legend

These are quotes from the article linked above:

“We’re going to see a situation this year where there could be up to 1,000 players in the portal with nowhere to go,” said South Florida coach Jeff Scott.

The scary part of a player going into the portal is that they essentially give up their scholarship at their current school once they enter, which means players could end up dropping levels or not playing at all because of lack of opportunity. Not all players fully understand that risk.

These are young kids, say 19 - 22, making a HUGE decision which could affect BOTH their athletic and academic careers. I keep telling folks, 4 or 5 years of college can be say $150K or more. Don't want to p*ss it away.

I know a kid (son of a friend) who was a legit. 3-star bball player. He verballed to a high major school. The school fired their HC. He signed anyway. Didn't work out. He lost say a $200K education. Ended up playing one year at a local JUCO.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021 02:50 PM by emu steve.)
01-15-2021 02:42 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(01-15-2021 02:42 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

These are quotes from the article linked above:

“We’re going to see a situation this year where there could be up to 1,000 players in the portal with nowhere to go,” said South Florida coach Jeff Scott.

The scary part of a player going into the portal is that they essentially give up their scholarship at their current school once they enter, which means players could end up dropping levels or not playing at all because of lack of opportunity. Not all players fully understand that risk.

These are young kids, say 19 - 22, making a HUGE decision which could affect BOTH their athletic and academic careers. I keep telling folks, 4 or 5 years of college can be say $150K or more. Don't want to p*ss it away.

I know a kid (son of a friend) who was a legit. 3-star bball player. He verballed to a high major school. The school fired their HC. He signed anyway. Didn't work out. He lost say a $200K education. Ended up playing one year at a local JUCO.

Players shouldnt have to give up their scholarship when they enter the transfer portal. coaches dont have to quit to interview for other jobs.
01-15-2021 03:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.