Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Doc Holliday OUT as Marshall head coach!!!!
Bookmark and Share
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

I Root For: Marshall
Doc Holliday OUT as Marshall head coach!!!!
01-04-2021 10:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

baruna falls Offline
All American

I Root For: ECU
RE: Doc Holliday OUT as Marshall head coach!!!!
Hopefully you guys get a coach with strong ties to Florida. From my perspective Marshall does best with a good dose of Florida recruits. Good luck with the search!
01-04-2021 10:10 AM
CoachMaclid Offline
All American

(01-04-2021 10:10 AM)baruna falls Wrote:  Hopefully you guys get a coach with strong ties to Florida. From my perspective Marshall does best with a good dose of Florida recruits. Good luck with the search!

I think Doc will be proud of his time here, the people he graduated and the bowl consistency he had. Unfortunately, only 1 conference title in 11 years, a lack of fan engagement and relationships, and building such a stable, complacent program that it seemingly lacked personality is ending his time. He did graduate a lot of individuals and generally ran a very tight, clean program.

Everyone sort of knew this was coming. For the first time ever, I sort of want us to get someone without Marshall ties to take over. We need to find someone with a loud personality that will excite the community. We've seen a decline in ticket sales and attendance since 2015, so we need an energizing hire. We definitely need a shakeup.
01-04-2021 10:20 AM
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(01-04-2021 10:20 AM)CoachMaclid Wrote:  We've seen a decline in ticket sales and attendance since 2015, so we need an energizing hire. We definitely need a shakeup.

Unfortunately, I don't think this is just a Marshall issue, but a college sports issue across the nation. Everyone has to do what they can to combat that, but it's definitely plaguing the whole industry, right now. I think it's one reason we've seen the rise of the cheerleader coach with the strong coordinators, particularly in programs that aren't high-achieving P5s. Good luck finding someone!
01-04-2021 10:25 AM
monarx Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ODU
Takes a lot of spine to fire a coach that gets you to bowl games every year and was just voted coach of the year. I hope it works out for you guys. It could also be the equivalent of what ECU did when they fired Ruffin McNeil. I guess we will see. I wish ODU had the success Holiday has had recently. I would imagine Marshall wouldnt have done this without knowing they've got someone better on the hook already.
01-04-2021 10:26 AM
banker Offline
Hall of Famer

We’ll see if Doc gets offers. His note made it sound like he was still interested in coaching.
01-04-2021 10:31 AM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
Crazy to go from one of the best years ever, to dropping your final games and getting canned.
01-04-2021 10:37 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
TribeNiner Offline
1st String

I Root For: Niners/WM/Hoyas
(01-04-2021 10:31 AM)banker Wrote:  We’ll see if Doc gets offers. His note made it sound like he was still interested in coaching.

Was just discussing that with somebody. I'd either go to some low pressure gig or just retire (barring someone throwing ridiculous money at me, which seems unlikely at 63).
01-04-2021 10:43 AM
ShoreBuc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: ECU
(01-04-2021 10:26 AM)monarx Wrote:  Takes a lot of spine to fire a coach that gets you to bowl games every year and was just voted coach of the year. I hope it works out for you guys. It could also be the equivalent of what ECU did when they fired Ruffin McNeil. I guess we will see. I wish ODU had the success Holiday has had recently. I would imagine Marshall wouldnt have done this without knowing they've got someone better on the hook already.

We did it to Steve Logan first and then Ruffin McNeil. It turned out disastrous both times. Hopefully Marshall has somebody lined up. I will always pull for them
01-04-2021 10:44 AM
herdxlanes Offline
Water Engineer

(01-04-2021 10:31 AM)banker Wrote:  We’ll see if Doc gets offers. His note made it sound like he was still interested in coaching.

That was one of my takeaways from his statement as well. For his sake, I hope he gets another shot if he is not ready to hang it up.
01-04-2021 10:46 AM
usm99 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Southern Miss
Reading the posts so far on this thread and it has memoirs of the USM/Jeff Bower ending. Bower wasn't COY his final year but had winning teams and stated there was still coaching left in him (but as most know he hasn't coached again).

Bower final years: had just finished his 14th consecutive winning seasons streak when fired in 2007, had 2 losing seasons in his 17 years at USM and those came in year 1 and year 3
2003 - CUSA champs (9-4) w/ bowl game loss
2004 - 7-5 w/ bowl game win
2005 - 7-5 w/ bowl game win
2006 - 9-5 w/ CUSA CG loss and bowl win
2007 - 7-6 w/ bowl game loss (he was fired before bowl game)

Holliday final years: in his 11 years he finished 1st or 2nd in the west 7 times.
2013 - 10-4 w. CUSA CG loss and bowl win
2014 - 13-1 w/ CUSA CG win and bowl win, #22 final ranking
2015 - 10-3 w/ bowl game loss
2016 - 3-9
2017 - 8-5 w/ bowl game win
2018 - 9-4 w/ bowl game win
2019 - 8-5 w/ bowl game loss
2020 - 7-3 w/ CUSA CG loss and bowl loss
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021 10:58 AM by usm99.)
01-04-2021 10:52 AM
Advertisement

HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
This is where Phil Ratliff would have taken center stage Im betting. Rest In Piece Phil.

Some names I wouldn't mind seeing on a short list:

Todd Hartley- Current TE coach at GA. Hartley coached under Holliday at Marshall from 2011-14 as Safties TE and recruiting cood.

Adam Fuller- Current DC at Florida State, coached under Holliday at Marshall from 2013-2018 as DL/Special Teams and DC in 2018. Was the DC at Chattanooga in 2012 where the mocs were ranked 4th in overall defense in IAA.

A few ex-coaches FAs I wouldn't mind seeing on the list:

Gus Malzahn
Tom Herman
Kevin Sumlin

A few names that will pop up but probably not likely:

Tim Cramsey- OC Marshall
Brad Lambert- DC Marshall
Ja'Juan Seider- QB Coach Penn State

I would love to see Chad Pennington as HC but that is most likely unrealistic at this time. He has done a great job at starting a program from scratch just 4 years ago at Sayer HS in Lexington KY and going 8-1 this year.
01-04-2021 10:53 AM
Schadenfreude Offline
Professional Tractor Puller

I Root For: Bowling Green

CrappiesCrappiesCrappies
Um. Wow.

01-04-2021 10:58 AM
TTT Offline
#SMTTT

I Root For: USM & G5
What was Doc and his assistant's salary pool? And what do you think that # will be for an upcoming coach?
01-04-2021 10:58 AM
BlueRaiderBoy Offline
All American

I Root For: MTSU
So. Marshall fires the Coach of the Year, who has a significant winning record and gets to a Bowl game annually. Meanwhile, MT just ignores the mediocrity in our football program. Not sure if Marshall firing Holliday isn't an "Overreaction". But, the Blue Raiders are a classic example of "Action by Inaction". Good Luck, Herd. Good Luck, Coach Holliday.
01-04-2021 10:59 AM
HerdZoned Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Herd

Folding@NCAAbbsCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
(01-04-2021 10:44 AM)ShoreBuc Wrote:  We did it to Steve Logan first and then Ruffin McNeil. It turned out disastrous both times. Hopefully Marshall has somebody lined up. I will always pull for them

The last game for each has a common denominator: They played Marshall:

2001 GMAC Bowl
ECU 61
Marshall 64
3 OTs

ECU lead at the half 38-8

Last reg season game of 2013 (winner goes to the CUSA championship game)

ECU 28
Marshall 59

And it really wasn't that close
01-04-2021 10:59 AM
Advertisement

ThreeifbyLightning Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Univ of Middle Tennessee
I don't even know how to react to this. I mean a Governor that cares about a G5 program in his state.

In Tennessee, that state and it's leadership does every single thing it can in its power to ensure that we suck.
01-04-2021 11:01 AM
ImfromClayton Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Charlotte
Reminds me of ECU firing Ruffin or Charlotte firing Bobby Lutz. Be careful what you wish for.
01-04-2021 11:18 AM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
You guys have high expectations (which is a good thing btw). Doc had a pretty solid track record. Hopefully you'll find another Bob Pruett.
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021 11:22 AM by Volkmar.)
01-04-2021 11:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ghostofclt! Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Charlotte
clt is hearing leftwich to marshal
01-04-2021 11:25 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.