Xavier Silas wants the job
Bookmark and Share
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
https://www.shawlocal.com/daily-chronicl...it-can-be/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021 05:12 PM by NIU32.)
01-03-2021 04:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
RE: Xavier Silas wants the job
(01-03-2021 04:37 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  Would love this
https://www.shawlocal.com/daily-chronicl...it-can-be/

HELL NO!
Chicago State's Mac Irvin is more qualified. Why not just give Patton a second tenure? IF NIU and STF can't do better than this, then just drop men's basketball.
01-03-2021 05:04 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
He would instantly recruit better.
01-03-2021 05:12 PM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2021 05:12 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  He would instantly recruit better.

“I’m one of the only players who have gone to the NBA from NIU,” Silas said. “I’ve actually done it. I’ve been through it. It’s been my life’s work. For kids to come and play for me and understand that we’re going to win a lot more than when I was there, I’m going to be able to get them to the next level. You could argue head coaching experience, I’d argue experience of someone who has actually done it.”

01-03-2021 05:14 PM
HuskiePride12 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, WHITE SOX
(01-03-2021 05:14 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  

“I’m one of the only players who have gone to the NBA from NIU,” Silas said. “I’ve actually done it. I’ve been through it. It’s been my life’s work. For kids to come and play for me and understand that we’re going to win a lot more than when I was there, I’m going to be able to get them to the next level. You could argue head coaching experience, I’d argue experience of someone who has actually done it.”

Yep. Like penny at Memphis.
01-03-2021 05:16 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

(01-03-2021 05:16 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  

Watched Penny play at Memphis, watched Penny play in the NBA, have watched Penny coach at Memphis; Xavier Silas isn't worth a Penny!
01-03-2021 05:19 PM
Advertisement

HawaiiToNIU Offline
All American

Yes, you can be an assistant coach. Got to earn those stripes.
01-03-2021 05:23 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

He would not instantly if ever recruit better than Monty. Silas at best is an experiment as a head coach. NIU can do better. A D2 or 3 successful coach would do just fine
01-03-2021 05:26 PM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2021 05:19 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(01-03-2021 05:16 PM)HuskiePride12 Wrote:  

Watched Penny play at Memphis, watched Penny play in the NBA, have watched Penny coach at Memphis; Xavier Silas isn't worth a Penny!

Silas is the only NIU player who has played in the NBA in 30+ years (unless you want to count Nader who left the program). But yes, not worth a penny? Frazier just went w Hanmock, who really wanted the job and to come back to his alma matter, Silas has much less experience at this point, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he is considered. He’s making it know how bad he wants the job. We’ll see

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021 05:28 PM by NIU32.)
01-03-2021 05:27 PM
dc1 Offline
Special Teams

We are NIU with Chicago next door many coaches will believe they can come here and win. We can get a decent coach
01-03-2021 05:29 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

I love his passion and eagerness and I think it's both awesome and hilarious that he has so quickly thrown his hat in the ring.

Other than that......what has he done as a coach?

Oh...his dad is successful in one season at a brand new high school that gets the top talent in Colorado?

Fantastic.

Who else is on the list?

Honestly, I'd easily put Irvin ahead of him on the list of priorities (I'd love them to go after him) and I'd even put TJ Lux ahead of him and he doesn't even want the job (as far as I can tell).

Xavier may turn out to be a fantastic coach, but being roped in by his words right now with literally nothing to back it up would be foolish.
01-03-2021 05:29 PM
Advertisement

NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2021 05:26 PM)dc1 Wrote:  He would not instantly if ever recruit better than Monty. Silas at best is an experiment as a head coach. NIU can do better. A D2 or 3 successful coach would do just fine

Monty was an awful recruiter... Got really lucky with German and we were his only offer.

I don’t see how someone like Silas who played in the NBA, at NIU and is coaching in the DLeague now, would be less of a recruiter than Monty or a random D2 or D3 coach. NIU isn’t getting anybody of note right now, if there was ever a time to roll the dice w someone like Silas, it’s now.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021 05:37 PM by NIU32.)
01-03-2021 05:32 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(01-03-2021 05:32 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  
(01-03-2021 05:26 PM)dc1 Wrote:  He would not instantly if ever recruit better than Monty. Silas at best is an experiment as a head coach. NIU can do better. A D2 or 3 successful coach would do just fine

Monty was an awful recruiter... Got really lucky with German and we were his only offer.

I don’t see how someone like Silas who played in the NBA, at NIU and is coaching in the DLeague now, would be less of a recruiter than Monty or a random D2 or D3 coach. NIU isn’t getting anybody of note right now, if there was ever a time to roll the dice w someone like Silas, it’s now.

There's never a time to roll the dice with a guy with zero experience.

He's never recruited. He's never been a head coach. He's never coached in college.

As bad as this team is right now, it could be worse for an extended period of time if you just roll the dice on a guy with no experience.
01-03-2021 05:55 PM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2021 05:55 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

He's never recruited. He's never been a head coach. He's never coached in college.

As bad as this team is right now, it could be worse for an extended period of time if you just roll the dice on a guy with no experience.

Like mentioned above in this thread, what about Penny Hardaway? Guy came in with experience as a player, not as a coach. Brought the #1 recruiting class in the country to Memphis and is 20+ games over .500 in his coaching career there.

Deion Sanders has already made a recruiting impact at Jackson St. With what recruiting and coaching experience?

Silas isn’t Penny or Deion, but he has that experience as a player and a very successful one at NIU.

Your argument is flawed there. You can’t just make that assumption. He’s played basketball at the highest level, he’s coaching right now as an assistant in the D League, and he actually wants the job at NIU and was one of the best players we’ve ever had coke through the program. I don’t see how Silas couldn’t bring more credibility and buy-in from recruits than a D2 coach no one has ever heard of. Not saying he should 100% get the job either, I just don’t get the argument that he should be automatically dismissed and not considered.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021 06:06 PM by NIU32.)
01-03-2021 06:05 PM
Big Red Offline
All American

(01-03-2021 06:05 PM)NIU32 Wrote:  
(01-03-2021 05:55 PM)Big Red Wrote:  

Like mentioned above in this thread, what about Penny Hardaway? Guy came in with experience as a player, not as a coach. Brought the #1 recruiting class in the country to Memphis and is 20+ games over .500 in his coaching career there.

Deion Sanders has already made a recruiting impact at Jackson St. With what recruiting and coaching experience?

Silas isn’t Penny or Deion, but he has that experience as a player and a very successful one at NIU.

Your argument is flawed there. You can’t just make that assumption. He’s played basketball at the highest level, he’s coaching right now as an assistant in the D League, and he actually wants the job at NIU and was one of the best players we’ve ever had coke through the program. I don’t see how Silas couldn’t bring more credibility and buy-in from recruits than a D2 coach no one has ever heard of. Not saying he should 100% get the job either, I just don’t get the argument that he should be automatically dismissed and not considered.

The highlighted section is the only relevant part.

Penny and Deion can recruit based on their names.
01-03-2021 06:11 PM
dogdangit Offline
2nd String

I'm glad at least one person out there wants the job
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021 06:17 PM by dogdangit.)
01-03-2021 06:17 PM
Advertisement

HuskieTap22 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU / DePaul
People are underestimating this guy. He has a lot of connections and also runs a high level prep league team in Colorado. When you consider who “realistically” would be interested in the NIU job he should very much be on the list.

I would honestly rather see NIU roll the dice on someone like this than hire an assistant coach from a Big Ten school or an older retread coach. NIU basketball needs an identity and this guy can bring that.

This article raises some good points on why he is ready for a look as a coach.

https://cbbreview.com/2020/12/23/xavier-...ssion=true

“Silas has begun and formed a powerhouse prep team with Colorado Prep. His squad has had top players from Colorado and Kansas and went 4-1 in the toughest high school division in the nation. He holds bonds with these kids that could potentially bring them to the school that hires him.”
01-03-2021 06:20 PM
NIU32 Offline
Heisman

(01-03-2021 06:20 PM)HuskieTap22 Wrote:  People are underestimating this guy. He has a lot of connections and also runs a high level prep league team in Colorado. When you consider who “realistically” would be interested in the NIU job he should very much be on the list.

I would honestly rather see NIU roll the dice on someone like this than hire an assistant coach from a Big Ten school or an older retread coach. NIU basketball needs an identity and this guy can bring that.

This article raises some good points on why he is ready for a look as a coach.

https://cbbreview.com/2020/12/23/xavier-...ssion=true

“Silas has begun and formed a powerhouse prep team with Colorado Prep. His squad has had top players from Colorado and Kansas and went 4-1 in the toughest high school division in the nation. He holds bonds with these kids that could potentially bring them to the school that hires him.”

Exactly, thank you. This is a boom or bust hire, but the upside is really high i think and worth the risk. Monty was a longtime assistant from an extremely successful and well known BIG10 coach. How did that go for us? I like this path better.

(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021 06:46 PM by NIU32.)
01-03-2021 06:31 PM
pantone1935 Offline
All American

I Root For: huskies
lets let Silas and any other worthy candidate interview if they are qualified. Lets go thru the process. Yea I want Pitino or ******* but we need to stop the speculation and let the University fill the position based on what they think is best for the program.

GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. and thank you Monty for giving it your best.

p.p.s. And this program will never succeed unless we can convince the students and locals to go to the Convo. That is the real problem.
01-03-2021 06:47 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

Is NIU 32 Xavier himself or related to him?
NIU 32 stated that one "can't make that assumption....(because) he's played basketball at the highest level, he's coaching right now as an assistant in the D League, and actually wants the job." You're making assumptions that he could be another Penny or Deion.
First and foremost, it's debatable as to exactly whether or not he's one of the best players to come through our program considering the lack of team success. Every bad team always has a leading scorer and sometimes that's not due to skill but just circumstances and ball-hogging.
Go to Wikepedia and you'll see Silas was All-MAC once, went undrafted, played semi-pro, went to France, was signed by 76ers and waived, acquired by Maine red Claws, signed signed with 76ers; got injured, got waived reacquired by Red Claws, joined Milwaukee Bucks for Summer League, then the Washington Wizards who waived him, back to the Red Claws, traded to Fort Wayne, left for Israel and played nine games, finished that year in Greece, started next year in Germany playing five league games, signed in Argentina and played seven games, then acquired by Bakersfield Jam scoring six in 19 minutes off the bench, was inactive for seven games, debuted with Northern Arizona Suns before signing with a Chinese team but not joining them, then the infamous 3-on-3 league, signed by Denver Nuggets for training camp and waived, added to the Iowa Wolves for opening night. Perhaps if we could have his mileage points, it would save NIU's recruiting budget. But none of that screams "successful pro player" earning credibility or buy-in with recruits. May not even qualify for the "journeyman" adjective.
But you're thinking an obvious "gamble hire" makes more sense than a successful D2 head coach or D1 assistant looking to advance their career path in comparison to a one-season D-League assistant looking for his next pay-check.
One time D-League assistant and you're comparing him favorably to Hammock --- twice All-MAC, twice CoSIDA Academic All-America, 2,432 career rushing yards, two bowl experiences at Wisconsin as a grad asst. coach, RB coach at NIU under Novak tutoring Garrett Wolfe (who earned All-America status and MAC MVP); then two seasons as RB coach at Minnesota, plus one year as Gophers co-offensive coordinator, then back to Wisconsin for three years as RB coach and an assistant head coach, followed by five NFL seasons as a Baltimore Ravens assistant. Yeah, that coaching experience comparison is so clear.
Bottom line, NIU and STF please set your sights and standards higher.
01-03-2021 06:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.