Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Capital One Orange Bowl: North Carolina vs Texas A&M
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Capital One Orange Bowl: North Carolina vs Texas A&M
With TAMU's involvement in tonight's game, the Orange Bowl has now satisfied the SEC component of its 12-year deal between the SEC, B1G and Notre Dame. The deal says the SEC and B1G both must appear at least three times during the eight years of the CFP when the Orange Bowl is not a playoff game (appearances by these conferences in OB playoff games do not count towards this). The SEC has played in this game three times now, in 2014 (Mississippi State), 2019 (Florida) and 2020 (TAMU). As next year the Orange is a playoff game, this means the B1G, which has played twice in the OB, must appear once more in either 2022, 2023 or 2025. The SEC and Notre Dame are still eligible to appear in those years as well, as long as the B1G gets a third appearance in the process.

As for this game, I like UNC. TAMU is still smarting over being left out of the CFP. UNC is thrilled to be in an NY6 bowl. It was 71 years ago today, January 2, 1950, that UNC last appeared in a major bowl, and they have never won one. It is also their first Orange Bowl game. And Mack Brown is good in big games.

UNC ............... 31

TAMU .............. 19
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2021 08:11 PM by quo vadis.)
01-02-2021 08:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
RE: Capital One Orange Bowl: North Carolina vs Texas A&M
Disappointing for UNC at the half. Two drives deep into TAMU territory yet had to settle for field goals. Then A&M drives length of the field to score TD before the half.
01-02-2021 09:37 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-02-2021 09:37 PM)bill dazzle Wrote:  Disappointing for UNC at the half. Two drives deep into TAMU territory yet had to settle for field goals. Then A&M drives length of the field to score TD before the half.

Overall, a very even game. Second half will be interesting.

17-13 tamu

H
01-02-2021 09:38 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Well with those top 3 offensive players out, don't think UNC has the speed to win this game. They aren't able to get outside on A&M. They will probably keep it close but just won't score enough.
01-02-2021 09:43 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-02-2021 09:43 PM)bullet Wrote:  Well with those top 3 offensive players out, don't think UNC has the speed to win this game. They aren't able to get outside on A&M. They will probably keep it close but just won't score enough.

UNC has a big physical team. Their OL has done a good job of pass protection and run blocking for the most part, against an athletic AM front seven, and their DL has kept the AM running game in check.

I can see UNC winning this, something like 27 - 24.
(This post was last modified: 01-02-2021 09:46 PM by quo vadis.)
01-02-2021 09:46 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

20 - 20

4q
01-02-2021 10:49 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

(01-02-2021 09:46 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(01-02-2021 09:43 PM)bullet Wrote:  Well with those top 3 offensive players out, don't think UNC has the speed to win this game. They aren't able to get outside on A&M. They will probably keep it close but just won't score enough.

UNC has a big physical team. Their OL has done a good job of pass protection and run blocking for the most part, against an athletic AM front seven, and their DL has kept the AM running game in check.

I can see UNC winning this, something like 27 - 24.

They've dropped two long passes, one of which was a sure TD. They just didn't have the playmakers. Every gain of theirs was painful. Just not enough firepower. 41-27 right now after UNC went for it on 4th with 2 minutes left down 7.
01-02-2021 11:34 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

Congratulations Texas AM, Orange Bowl champs!

Firat NY6 bowl win by TAMU in 34 years, since beating Notre Dame in then1987 Cotton Bowl.
01-02-2021 11:37 PM
SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sac State
Fun game to watch. Hard fought on both sides.
01-02-2021 11:41 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

Damn, Jimbo showed some legs avoiding the gatorade bath, lol.
01-02-2021 11:41 PM
XLance Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Carolina

Proud of the Tar Heels that played, and played their hearts out.
Kudos to the coaching staff that had to completely re-tool an offensive strategy in one week.
You are correct, in that the absence of the accustomed speed in the outside running game limited the Heels ability to attack A&M's defense.
01-03-2021 08:27 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-03-2021 08:27 AM)XLance Wrote:  

Proud of the Tar Heels that played, and played their hearts out.
Kudos to the coaching staff that had to completely re-tool an offensive strategy in one week.
You are correct, in that the absence of the accustomed speed in the outside running game limited the Heels ability to attack A&M's defense.

Mack Brown typically is at his best in big bowl games. UNC played an excellent game, final score does not indicate how close it was. Until the final minutes it looked like UNC would win.

The future continues to brighten under Brown.
01-03-2021 09:18 AM
10thMountain Offline
Heisman

I Root For: A&M, TCU
Proud of our guys not succumbing to the #5 Curse and letting apathy and disappointment over the playoff snub and lack of enthusiasm for the meaningless consolation game get the best of them!
01-03-2021 09:49 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-03-2021 09:49 AM)10thMountain Wrote:  Proud of our guys not succumbing to the #5 Curse and letting apathy and disappointment over the playoff snub and lack of enthusiasm for the meaningless consolation game get the best of them!

Bottom line is, Texas AM hadn't won a major bowl in 32 years, since the 1987 Cotton Bowl over Notre Dame, so this was a nice win.

Texas AM also won their 20th bowl last night, becoming the 19th program with at least 20 all-time bowl wins.
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021 09:55 AM by quo vadis.)
01-03-2021 09:55 AM
Steve1981 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UMass
Congrats Aggies. Will see about visiting you guys in 2022 as there is a solid military branch of the family living in Texas.
01-03-2021 09:57 AM
esayem Offline
Hark The Sound!

I Root For: Olde Ironclad
This was a great game, and TAMU definitely deserved to win. They made huge plays on offense when they needed to (usually on third down much to my chagrin) and have a great defense as well. I’m now wondering just how good Alabama really is considering what they did to the Aggies.

Carolina has a bright future and I admire Mack making the gutsy call at the end which ultimately didn’t work and lead to another TAMU touchdown.

I have no qualms with the opt-outs, but it sucks as a fan not to see them play one more time. Bowl games used to be the last opportunity for many players to showcase their ability on the grand stage before the draft. Now non-playoff bowl games are merely a preview of next season and should not even be considered an extension of the season.
01-03-2021 10:56 AM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-03-2021 10:56 AM)esayem Wrote:  This was a great game, and TAMU definitely deserved to win. They made huge plays on offense when they needed to (usually on third down much to my chagrin) and have a great defense as well. I’m now wondering just how good Alabama really is considering what they did to the Aggies.

Carolina has a bright future and I admire Mack making the gutsy call at the end which ultimately didn’t work and lead to another TAMU touchdown.

I have no qualms with the opt-outs, but it sucks as a fan not to see them play one more time. Bowl games used to be the last opportunity for many players to showcase their ability on the grand stage before the draft. Now non-playoff bowl games are merely a preview of next season and should not even be considered an extension of the season.

We did have more opt-outs in the non-playoff bowls this year, but I am not sure this is going to be a trend. The virus has created unique conditions that I think encouraged more opt-outs then usual. The incentives for opting out didn't really change from this year compared to previous years, the virus is the big thing that is different.
01-03-2021 10:59 AM
bill dazzle Offline
Craft beer and urban living enthusiast

I Root For: Vandy/Memphis/DePaul/UNC
Full props to TAMU. A VERY good football team. I was impressed.

Mack and the boys gave it a good shot but it was not meant to be. The UNC football future is bright, indeed, and next year I will look forward to Tar Heel football more so than ever (with that optimism fueled, in part, by how so-so UNC hoops are this season).
01-03-2021 11:01 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

(01-03-2021 10:59 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(01-03-2021 10:56 AM)esayem Wrote:  This was a great game, and TAMU definitely deserved to win. They made huge plays on offense when they needed to (usually on third down much to my chagrin) and have a great defense as well. I’m now wondering just how good Alabama really is considering what they did to the Aggies.

We did have more opt-outs in the non-playoff bowls this year, but I am not sure this is going to be a trend. The virus has created unique conditions that I think encouraged more opt-outs then usual. The incentives for opting out didn't really change from this year compared to previous years, the virus is the big thing that is different.

I think the opt outs will continue to grow as it gets to be more common. Before a lot of players didn't even think about it.
01-03-2021 11:04 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(01-03-2021 11:04 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(01-03-2021 10:59 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

I think the opt outs will continue to grow as it gets to be more common. Before a lot of players didn't even think about it.

That's a good point - sometimes a crisis situation gets people thinking about possibilities that hadn't really crossed their minds before, even though the incentives did exist before the crisis, such that established habits are altered permanently, and maybe the virus situation will be such a case.

Let's hope not.

07-coffee3
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2021 11:12 AM by quo vadis.)
01-03-2021 11:11 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.