Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN wants 2 FBS leagues...
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
Cool ESPN wants 2 FBS leagues...
i’ve seen ESPN talking heads for a few years now bring this up, kinda like testing the water temp, and it’s been cold from both sides, but mybe not so cold anymore
if in fact ESPN would want this is because they know it would increase viewership 2 fold but they have to be careful and make both sides happy while not having to spend too much money to do this
college football has lots of room to grow and it’s coming from the 5 G conferences
12-27-2020 11:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
RE: ESPN wants 2 FBS leagues...
(12-27-2020 11:42 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  i’ve seen ESPN talking heads for a few years now bring this up, kinda like testing the water temp, and it’s been cold from both sides, but mybe not so cold anymore
if in fact ESPN would want this is because they know it would increase viewership 2 fold but they have to be careful and make both sides happy while not having to spend too much money to do this
college football has lots of room to grow and it’s coming from the 5 G conferences

If they're talking about it, it's possible that they've been reading the dozens of recent threads on these boards about this general topic.

It wouldn't be the first time that we come across a news article or report that obviously came from one of the message boards. Journalists have picked up their scoops from a number of stories from on the message board that I'm most familiar with.
(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020 12:00 AM by jedclampett.)
12-27-2020 11:59 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
They’re fishing this board. Too many of jedclampett’s ideas have been repeated in the media.
12-28-2020 01:32 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(12-28-2020 01:32 AM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  They’re fishing this board. Too many of jedclampett’s ideas have been repeated in the media.

Wonder if that's true. If so, I hadn't realized it. It would be pretty interesting.
12-28-2020 02:48 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
This isn’t a totally outlandish idea. ESPN would probably love to consolidate the stronger southern wings of the ACC and Big 12 into a media property that they control, leaving a Big Ten/West Coast/ Northern Big 12&ACC property for Fox.

ESPN’s would be the move valuable property as college football’s following is the strongest in that region while it’s waning in the West Coast and East Coast.
12-28-2020 07:35 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
I don't believe ESPN is doing anything like this. All you are hearing is spitballing by internet denizens with too much time on their hands.
12-28-2020 07:38 PM
Advertisement

ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(12-28-2020 07:38 PM)ken d Wrote:  I don't believe ESPN is doing anything like this. All you are hearing is spitballing by internet denizens with too much time on their hands.

I agree and if ESPN wanted 2 different Bowl Sub-divisions, it would be P5 to a new division and G5 left in the old division not some conglomeration where they split the P5 schools.
12-29-2020 03:36 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(12-29-2020 03:36 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(12-28-2020 07:38 PM)ken d Wrote:  I don't believe ESPN is doing anything like this. All you are hearing is spitballing by internet denizens with too much time on their hands.

I agree and if ESPN wanted 2 different Bowl Sub-divisions, it would be P5 to a new division and G5 left in the old division not some conglomeration where they split the P5 schools.

You might be surprised if you knew the extent to which the P5 has begun become a veritable "ball and chain," if not yet an albatross for the sports networks.

Sure, they can scratch out a profit broadcasting the P5, but at ~ $1 billion/year for the broadcasting rights for two P5 conferences, they're not getting nearly the kind of bargain they get from broadcasting some of the G5 conferences (only ~$80 million/year for the AAC rights).
12-29-2020 04:56 AM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(12-29-2020 04:56 AM)jedclampett Wrote:  

You might be surprised if you knew the extent to which the P5 has begun become a veritable "ball and chain," if not yet an albatross for the sports networks.

Sure, they can scratch out a profit broadcasting the P5, but at ~ $1 billion/year for the broadcasting rights for two P5 conferences, they're not getting nearly the kind of bargain they get from broadcasting some of the G5 conferences (only ~$80 million/year for the AAC rights).

If they're such an Albatross, why did they just sign the SEC's 1 game a week formerly held by CBS for $300 Million a year or $3 billion for 10 years. This just happened a few weeks ago. Clearly they're still getting a great return for their investment to currently shell out that kind of cash. Your statement sounds more like wishful thinking from someone who wants the P5 to fail.

The AAC conference TV contract is undervalued and several of those teams would bring even more value if they were playing P5 teams as conference foes (Cincy, Temple, UCF, Houston). Unfortunately, potentially being an average P5 team or even above average is not going to get any P5 conference to add them.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020 05:42 AM by ChrisLords.)
12-29-2020 05:39 AM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(12-29-2020 05:39 AM)ChrisLords Wrote:  

If they're such an Albatross, why did they just sign the SEC's 1 game a week formerly held by CBS for $300 Million a year or $3 billion for 10 years. This just happened a few weeks ago. Clearly they're still getting a great return for their investment to currently shell out that kind of cash. Your statement sounds more like wishful thinking from someone who wants the P5 to fail.

The AAC conference TV contract is undervalued and several of those teams would bring even more value if they were playing P5 teams as conference foes (Cincy, Temple, UCF, Houston). Unfortunately, potentially being an average P5 team or even above average is not going to get any P5 conference to add them.

ESPN might get a better return on its investment for the AAC's broadcasting rights (approx. $1 billion over 12 years, (~ $80 M/yr.), especially if the deal has granted ESPN the exclusive rights to broadcast a much larger range of AAC games.

Notably ESPN has agreed to pay four times as much (~$3.3 billion over 10 years) for a P5 conference's broadcasting rights ($330 M/yr.).

While such a 4:1 differential might be justified if P5 viewership is four times greater than AAC viewership, it is likely that AAC viewership will resume its pre-covid increase in viewership over the coming decade. In contrast, P5 viewership isn't predicted to increase markedly.

For example, if AAC viewership doubles in 10 years, which is a possibility, while P5 viewership remains similar, ESPN's return on its investment could double by 2030, making it an outstanding bargain for ESPN.

Sensing this opportunity, ESPN will, no doubt, be making efforts to build AAC viewership steadily, toward this end, with marketing, promotion, featured events (game days), and an increased number of prime-time slots.

NOTE: Unlike the AAC, which has no proprietary network, many of the P5 conferences and some P5 teams have retained the broadcasting rights for many of their games, which are broadcast on conference (PAC 12 network) and university networks (Longhorns network), thus reducing the national networks' potential revenue streams
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020 08:04 AM by jedclampett.)
12-29-2020 07:46 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
JRSec has pitched the 2 conference theory of the SEC and Big Ten swallowing up most of the other top P5 programs and becoming giant 24 team conferences. Usually he sticks us with the Pac-12/Western crap in these proposals, forcing us to travel out to the West Coast while the SEC gets off scott free. I guess the SEC and/or Big Ten could get any teams they want but the question would be why would the Big Ten/Ohio State/Penn State/etc want to deal with dead weight schools like Washington? The Pac-12 schools have a problem getting a decent media deal but that's their problem, not the Big Ten's (or SEC's). We're not going to send our Olympic sports teams to Seattle and Eugene to save them. I can see four Power conferences or maybe even three as once the ACC's media deal expires (a long time away but I should see the end of it) many of the ACC schools are close enough to the Big Ten and/or SEC footprints to be reasonable targets for the conferences for expansions (the Big Ten could seek southward while the SEC might want to seek northward into more populous areas). Two is asking a lot. If it happens, I can see it like the WAC/MWC of the 90's (eventually it will split apart). If the Big Ten does take in the Pac-12, the Eastern schools could get sick of it and bolt. If a group with Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Michigan State, etc. form, not only would they leave but they'd probably fight for and take the Big Ten name with them like the Catholic 7 got the Big East were able to. Hey, maybe we can finally ditch Iowa and Nebraska!
12-29-2020 09:54 AM
Advertisement

Attackcoog Online

I Root For: Houston

That’s actually a good point about the G5 being bargain priced programming. Thus, why would the networks want to devalue their bargain FBS games by making them into FCs games? It makes much more sense for ESPN to fight for a CFP slot for the G5 in order to increase interest and relevance of G5 games/conference races. I can see little financial incentive for ESPN to push for a G5-P5 split.
(This post was last modified: 12-29-2020 11:56 AM by Attackcoog.)
12-29-2020 11:52 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7

I don't think they wanted to split the two. ESPN wants their favorites from the G5 get placed in a P5 conference like Houston, Cincinnati, Boise Stete, Memphis, Northern Illinois and UCF while they wanted schools like JMU, Delaware, North Dakota State, Eastern Washington and the likes get to moved up. ESPN wants the best in the top 10 FBS conferences in football and men's basketball. They see more money in it that way which can bring excitement. Excitement sells. Schools like Liberty, Georgia State and Coastal Carolina were not on ESPN's mind to upgrade.
12-29-2020 01:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gamecock Offline
All American

I Root For: South Carolina
I don't think it would ever work. Too many large state schools with angry senators would have to get left out unless they just took everyone already in the P5.

I suppose if they did that it could be something like

SEC + Big 12 + Clem/FSU/GT/Miami/NC Schools = 32 schools
Big Ten + Pac 12 + VA Schools/Pitt/Syracuse/BC/Louisville/ND = 33 schools

Really the VA schools probably belong in the Southern league and Iowa St, Kansas, and Kansas State with the Midwest/Pacific League so you could flip those if you wanted. WVU and Louisville could go either way as well.
12-29-2020 02:44 PM
DFW HOYA Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Georgetown

Never sell Disney short. They capsized the Big East for market share, if you recall.
12-29-2020 08:37 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nerdlinger Offline
Realignment Enthusiast

I Root For: Realignment!
(12-29-2020 08:37 PM)DFW HOYA Wrote:  

Never sell Disney short. They capsized the Big East for market share, if you recall.

I assume you're referring to the move of Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC. The Big East football ship was already sinking by that point anyway, even if it might have taken a few more years to fully go under.
12-29-2020 11:01 PM
Advertisement

Scoochpooch1 Offline
All American

I Root For: P4
(12-29-2020 01:30 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

I don't think they wanted to split the two. ESPN wants their favorites from the G5 get placed in a P5 conference like Houston, Cincinnati, Boise Stete, Memphis, Northern Illinois and UCF while they wanted schools like JMU, Delaware, North Dakota State, Eastern Washington and the likes get to moved up. ESPN wants the best in the top 10 FBS conferences in football and men's basketball. They see more money in it that way which can bring excitement. Excitement sells. Schools like Liberty, Georgia State and Coastal Carolina were not on ESPN's mind to upgrade.

ESPN has zero interest in NDSU, JMU, EW, or Delaware. Where do you get this stuff from?
12-30-2020 10:08 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(12-30-2020 10:08 AM)Scoochpooch1 Wrote:  

ESPN has zero interest in NDSU, JMU, EW, or Delaware. Where do you get this stuff from?

They are teams that have beaten P5 schools who could draw viewers than a La.-Monroe team.
12-30-2020 01:16 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(12-30-2020 01:16 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

They are teams that have beaten P5 schools who could draw viewers than a La.-Monroe team.

ULM’s beaten a top-10 team...right under your nose in your own state.
12-30-2020 02:22 PM
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(12-30-2020 01:16 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

03-lmfao 03-lmfao 03-lmfao

If beating a P5 is the criteria for being FBS then Louisiana-Monroe certainly qualifies since they have beaten the pigs and 'bama. You just contradicted yourself because Coastal Carolina, Georgia State, and Liberty all have P5 wins this season and last season. Coastal Carolina drew plenty of viewers against Brigham Young; more than 2.1M at its peak.
12-30-2020 02:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.