Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

are G5 conferences really independent?
JHS55 Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
are G5 conferences really independent?
nothing really holding these 5 conferences together i think other than not being a part of the 5 autonomous conferences which are independent but bound together by their TV contracts
is this correct?
12-25-2020 11:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Crayton Offline
All American

I Root For: Florida
RE: are G5 conferences really independent?
I don’t think I understand. What do the G5 share beyond bowl ties?
12-25-2020 10:12 PM
johnbragg Offline
Five Minute Google Expert

I Root For: St Johns
(12-25-2020 11:50 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  nothing really holding these 5 conferences together i think other than not being a part of the 5 autonomous conferences which are independent but bound together by their TV contracts
is this correct?

There is no structure that binds the G5 together, except for the CFP contract, which treats the G5 conferences differently than the P5 conferences; and the NCAA structure, which gives the P5 two votes each(10 total), the G5 one vote each(5 total), and, IIRC, FCS and the nonfootball conferences 10 votes each.

There's no G5 office, no G5 commissioner, etc. I don't even think the 5 G5 commissioners meet regularly.
12-26-2020 02:07 AM
JHS55 Offline
All American

(12-26-2020 02:07 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(12-25-2020 11:50 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  nothing really holding these 5 conferences together i think other than not being a part of the 5 autonomous conferences which are independent but bound together by their TV contracts
is this correct?

There is no structure that binds the G5 together, except for the CFP contract, which treats the G5 conferences differently than the P5 conferences; and the NCAA structure, which gives the P5 two votes each(10 total), the G5 one vote each(5 total), and, IIRC, FCS and the nonfootball conferences 10 votes each.

There's no G5 office, no G5 commissioner, etc. I don't even think the 5 G5 commissioners meet regularly.
intresting, so the G conferences are free to do something
12-26-2020 11:16 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
The MAC has longstanding ties. The core 6 have been together for over 60 years.
12-26-2020 12:06 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

I Root For: Temple
(12-26-2020 11:16 AM)JHS55 Wrote:  
is this correct?

You've hit the nail on the head. They are absolutely free to form an association or coalition of some kind, and they have every reason in the world to do so.

In fact, they should have done so 7 or 8 years ago, when the P5/G5 split was first announced.

By waiting so long to band together and defend their rights, they have allowed the P5 to take advantage of them in myriad ways.

They don't have to hire a commissioner. They just have to start working cooperatively to advance their goals. They could set up a formal or informal council comprised of the 5 G5 commissioners and a representative of the FBS independents. It wouldn't be wise to leave the independent schools out in the cold.

It's time for them for the non-P5 FBS schools to wake up and smell the coffee. Things aren't going to get any better by themselves. They're going to have to take action as a group in order to improve the situation.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2020 01:06 PM by jedclampett.)
12-26-2020 12:59 PM
Advertisement

quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(12-26-2020 12:59 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  
is this correct?

You've hit the nail on the head. They are absolutely free to form an association or coalition of some kind, and they have every reason in the world to do so.

In fact, they should have done so 7 or 8 years ago, when the P5/G5 split was first announced.

By waiting so long to band together and defend their rights, they have allowed the P5 to take advantage of them in myriad ways.

It's time for them to wake up and smell the coffee. Things aren't going to get any better by themselves. They're going to have to take action as a group in order to improve the situation.

The problem with a G5 association is that nobody would care about it. In fact, it likely would stigmatize the G5 as formally inferior to the P5.

And the reason for *this* is that fundamentally, the G5 just is not on the same level as the P5. It's market value is far less.

Which means it can (a) take the table scraps the P5 throws, or (b) starve on the streets by itself.
12-26-2020 01:07 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(12-26-2020 01:07 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
is this correct?

It's time for them to wake up and smell the coffee. Things aren't going to get any better by themselves. They're going to have to take action as a group in order to improve the situation.

The problem with a G5 association is that nobody would care about it. In fact, it likely would stigmatize the G5 as formally inferior to the P5.

And the reason for *this* is that fundamentally, the G5 just is not on the same level as the P5. It's market value is far less.

Which means it can (a) take the table scraps the P5 throws, or (b) starve on the streets by itself.

I agree with most of this. However, where I differ is I believe that the way the non-power schools were completely excluded from the formal actual structure of the various forms of a "playoff" starting back in the 90's with the earliest version "The Bowl Coalition" and continuing forward with the BCS--through to todays CFP---have a great deal to do with the widening of the difference between the two. The canyon between the P5 and G5 was not always this wide. 04-cheers

As for where to go from here---a G5 playoff would be the absolute dumbest thing the G5 could do. It would not only widen the gap further---it would also be viewed as voluntarily formalizing a split within the FBS division. Worse yet---it would come at a time when the G5 is actually making headway in the public perception that the G5 should have a legitimate path to the playoff. We have now reached a point of critical mass where it has become clear to an overwhelming majority of the general public and media that the CFP officials are no longer credible when they claim the G5 has a path to the playoff in the current system. My personal belief is by the time CFP renegotiation and expansion happens (which could be sooner than we think)---the general consensus will have long ago been formed around the 5-1-2-----which is already the most popular 8 team format among the sports writers (and its not close).
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2020 01:39 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-26-2020 01:31 PM
johnbragg Offline

(12-26-2020 01:31 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  We have now reached a point of critical mass where it has become clear to an overwhelming majority of the general public and media that the CFP officials are no longer credible when they claim the G5 has a path to the playoff in the current system.

I'm not sure anyone who you'd consider The Powers That Be seriously claim that, though. There are schools of thought within the Establishment: "the G5 just don't belong in the playoff" vs "maybe a G5 could qualify one day if all the stars line up, maybe, I guess / We definitely should give UCF a shot if they go 14-0 one year and are 13-0 the next year".

It's not like the CFP committee even pretends very hard that the G5 has a chance at the playoff. Y'all get the Access Bowl. That's what you get.

Quote:My personal belief is by the time CFP renegotiation and expansion happens (which could be sooner than we think)

the original contracts were signed to start in 2014 and run through the 2025-26 season. It's 2020, 6 years in, and I remember that some contracts were 6 year contracts.

The most complicated one is the Orange Bowl contract (ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Notre Dame all parties, Outback Bowl involved, CFP semifinal), and that one runs the full 12 years. Rose Bowl contract runs the full 12 years. Those two would be the obstacles, I think, to reorganizing from a 4 team to an 8 team model.
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...-agreement
https://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post...-agreement

Quote:---the general consensus will have long ago been formed around the 5-1-2-----which is already the most popular 8 team format among the sports writers (and its not close).

I'd say that's happened. "Straight 8" has advocates, but the Access Bowl precedent indicates that, if there are going to be autobids, there are going to be 6 of them.
12-26-2020 02:21 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(12-26-2020 01:31 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  "The Bowl Coalition" and continuing forward with the BCS--through to todays CFP---have a great deal to do with the widening of the difference between the two. The canyon between the P5 and G5 was not always this wide.

The "canyon" that has grown wider is the canyon of power and privilege.

This seems odd, since the difference in the number of high-quality P5 and non-P5 teams has grown smaller since the P5/G5 split.

There was only one current non-P5 team in the final 2013 AP top 25 (UCF).

There were 7 non-P5 teams in the final 2019 AP top 25, and there are 7 non-P5 teams in the 2020 AP top 25 and 11 non-P5 teams among the 30 teams that received votes in the most recent AP top 25 poll.

Quite a discrepancy, isn't it?

Some have suggested that the CFP and NY6 arrangement may be an example of anti-competitive behavior (LII U.S. Code Title 15 CHAPTER 2 SUBCHAPTER I § 45; 15 U.S. Code § 45 - Unfair methods of competition unlawful).

"Something is rotten in the State of Denmark" - Hamlet (W. Shakespeare)
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2020 02:34 PM by jedclampett.)
12-26-2020 02:26 PM
DavidSt Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Politicians these days do not belong in P5 schools, and they are trying to get as many state schools into one of them. I think the stars will line up finaly that the P5 starts adding more G5 and FCS schools or they could face the politicians to break up the monoply by disbanded the P5 conferences.
12-26-2020 02:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Attackcoog Offline

(12-26-2020 02:21 PM)johnbragg Wrote:  
(12-26-2020 01:31 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  We have now reached a point of critical mass where it has become clear to an overwhelming majority of the general public and media that the CFP officials are no longer credible when they claim the G5 has a path to the playoff in the current system.

I'm not sure anyone who you'd consider The Powers That Be seriously claim that, though. There are schools of thought within the Establishment: "the G5 just don't belong in the playoff" vs "maybe a G5 could qualify one day if all the stars line up, maybe, I guess / We definitely should give UCF a shot if they go 14-0 one year and are 13-0 the next year".

It's not like the CFP committee even pretends very hard that the G5 has a chance at the playoff. Y'all get the Access Bowl. That's what you get.

Quote:My personal belief is by the time CFP renegotiation and expansion happens (which could be sooner than we think)

the original contracts were signed to start in 2014 and run through the 2025-26 season. It's 2020, 6 years in, and I remember that some contracts were 6 year contracts.

The most complicated one is the Orange Bowl contract (ACC, SEC, Big Ten, Notre Dame all parties, Outback Bowl involved, CFP semifinal), and that one runs the full 12 years. Rose Bowl contract runs the full 12 years. Those two would be the obstacles, I think, to reorganizing from a 4 team to an 8 team model.

Quote:---the general consensus will have long ago been formed around the 5-1-2-----which is already the most popular 8 team format among the sports writers (and its not close).

I'd say that's happened. "Straight 8" has advocates, but the Access Bowl precedent indicates that, if there are going to be autobids, there are going to be 6 of them.

One BIG reason I think the renegotiation could happen sooner rather than later is that college athletic departments took a HUGE financial hit from Covid....and that hit might last a while. The schools have always known there was more money to be made from playoff expansion--but they werent really willing to cash that chip yet. I think the 2020 Covid financial pinch might have the schools far more willing to entertain an early expansion in the CFP than they might have been prior to Covid.
12-26-2020 02:34 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(12-26-2020 01:31 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(12-26-2020 01:07 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(12-26-2020 02:07 AM)johnbragg Wrote:  There is no structure that binds the G5 together, except for the CFP contract, which treats the G5 conferences differently than the P5 conferences; and the NCAA structure, which gives the P5 two votes each(10 total), the G5 one vote each(5 total), and, IIRC, FCS and the nonfootball conferences 10 votes each.

I agree with most of this. However, where I differ is I believe that the way the non-power schools were completely excluded from the formal actual structure of the various forms of a "playoff" starting back in the 90's with the earliest version "The Bowl Coalition" and continuing forward with the BCS--through to todays CFP---have a great deal to do with the widening of the difference between the two. The canyon between the P5 and G5 was not always this wide. 04-cheers

As for where to go from here---a G5 playoff would be the absolute dumbest thing the G5 could do. It would not only widen the gap further---it would also be viewed as voluntarily formalizing a split within the FBS division. Worse yet---it would come at a time when the G5 is actually making headway in the public perception that the G5 should have a legitimate path to the playoff. We have now reached a point of critical mass where it has become clear to an overwhelming majority of the general public and media that the CFP officials are no longer credible when they claim the G5 has a path to the playoff in the current system. My personal belief is by the time CFP renegotiation and expansion happens (which could be sooner than we think)---the general consensus will have long ago been formed around the 5-1-2-----which is already the most popular 8 team format among the sports writers (and its not close).

TV money and exposure is why the gap is so wide. The gap between the SEC and Big 10 and the rest is more than the Big 10 made just a dozen years ago.

The increased visibility helps the bottom 2/3 of the P5 out-recruit the top of the G5 as does the money.
12-26-2020 02:40 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(12-26-2020 02:34 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

One BIG reason I think the renegotiation could happen sooner rather than later is that college athletic departments took a HUGE financial hit from Covid....and that hit might last a while. The schools have always known there was more money to be made from playoff expansion--but they werent really willing to cash that chip yet. I think the 2020 Covid financial pinch might have the schools far more willing to entertain an early expansion in the CFP than they might have been prior to Covid.

The contra side of that argument is that Covid has lead the players to feel more free about expressing their wills. The pay to play argument will come up.
12-26-2020 02:43 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(12-26-2020 01:07 PM)quo vadis Wrote:  The problem with a G5 association is that nobody would care about it. In fact, it likely would stigmatize the G5 as formally inferior to the P5.

All three statements are flawed and unsupported by the facts. Further, there's an error of logic in these three sentences. Sentence #2 doesn't follow logically from Sentence #1, and Sentence #3 doesn't follow logically from Sentence #2. They are both non sequiturs.

#1a: The problem with a G5 association is that nobody would care about it.

Incorrect, and it would be more powerful if it were a "non-P5" association, rather than simply a "G5" association.

All of the schools affiliated with such an association would certainly care about it, and there are more non-P5 schools than P5 schools. Moreover, the total enrollment of the non-P5 FBS schools is very comparable with that of the P5 schools, as are the numbers of Senators and Congressmen representing P5 and non-P5 colleges and universities.

In addition, the P5 would be foolish to ignore the potential power of an association of non-P5 FBS schools. They would have a good reason to be concerned if such an association were to develop.

#1b: it likely would stigmatize the G5 as formally inferior to the P5.

That statement may have characterized the attitude of King George III toward the 13 American colonies in 1776 when they first formed a loose association under the Articles of Confederation. However, to refer to them as becoming more "stigmatized" is less accurate than to state that, when they chose to empower themselves, they simply incurred the wrath of the King. They angered the King, but they did not stigmatize themselves. Quite the opposite.

One thing is clear: The American colonies did not become more stigmatized in the eyes of most of the American colonists and not in the eyes of the French (and Spanish and Dutch) governments, nor in the eyes of the many British intellectuals of the day who were sympathetic to the cause of the colonists.

Associations that have come into existence to oppose oppression and unequal treatment, such as the NAACP, have resulted in lower, not higher levels of stigmatization.

Thus, it was no accident that forming an association (confederation) was the first major step toward American independence.

#2: And the reason for *this* is that fundamentally, the G5 just is not on the same level as the P5. It's market value is far less.

Incorrect, because there is no logical basis and no precedent for arguing that an oppressed group (such as the American colonies or the NAACP) would become more stigmatized throughout the nation simply because they form an association.

If anything, when oppressed people, groups, or institutions band together, they tend to become more empowered and more, rather than less respected.

Even the act of merely taking a stand against oppression has often helped to de-stigmatize people on an individual or group level.

For example, there used to be many ways that people were stigmatized as a result of having certain medical conditions. However, after former First Lady Betty Ford publicly admitted having breast cancer, the stigma of having that disease rapidly faded, as millions more women began to feel free to do the same.

Research has indicated that talking about a disadvantageous condition in a straightforward way and banding together with others with the same condition tends in most cases to have a destigmatizing effect.

For example, the gay rights and LBGTQ movements have overcome a great deal of stigmatization by banding together in associations and speaking openly about their orientation.

When more and more gay people decided to "come out" and reveal their orientation, the stigmatization dissipated so rapidly that it no longer exists in large swaths of the nation.

Moreover, it isn't logical to argue that the cause of becoming more stigmatized after forming an association would be the same thing that caused the non-P5 schools to have lower-ranked FB programs in the first place.

Associating to oppose stigmatization may trigger an angry reaction from the oppressor, but it doesn't cause stigmatization, which was already there in the first place.

#3: Which means it can (a) take the table scraps the P5 throws, or (b) starve on the streets by itself.

Non sequitur. It would only follow from Sentence #2 if Sentence #2 were valid, and if antagonizing the oppressor (the P5) could somehow result in getting even fewer of the measly "table scraps" than the non-P5 schools are already getting.

The P5s - - not the non-P5s - - are the ones who will have to tread carefully, because unfair behavior toward non-P5 schools does not sit well with the NCAA, which represents well over 1,000 institutions of higher learning, and it is not in their long-term interest to cut their ties with the NCAA.

They also have to tread carefully because there are laws against uncompetitive and monopolistic behavior, and the P5 schools are not immune to potential civil litigation if they take any punitive actions which would be viewed as an outright violation of anti-trust law.

As far as table scraps are concerned, that's all that the non-P5 schools are really getting from the P5 conferences right now. The situation can't get much worse without running the risk of either a class-action suit or an enforcement action by the Department of Justice.

As far as "starving on the streets" is concerned, the non-P5 schools have no interest in cutting their ties with the P5 schools and conferences completely. Their goal is not to antagonize the P5s, but to work together to achieve a more egalitarian state of affairs.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2020 03:36 PM by jedclampett.)
12-26-2020 03:22 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(12-26-2020 02:43 PM)bullet Wrote:  
(12-26-2020 02:34 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

The contra side of that argument is that Covid has lead the players to feel more free about expressing their wills. The pay to play argument will come up.

Interesting you should mention that. Pay for play (Alston) is literally being decided by the Supreme Court as we speak. But, from what I have been able to read on the specifics of that case---there is no version of the decision likely to come from the Supreme Court that reduces costs for FBS schools. Effectively the NCAA/FBS has a "best case" Supreme Court outcome of substantially higher FCOA numbers (roughly double what they are now) and a worst case scenario of full on pay-for-play free agency. So---in my mind---player demands represent just one more log on the bonfire of "reasons to expand the playoff sooner rather than later".

Id also point out in a totally different line of attack---federal legislation requiring 50% of all sports revenue (minus scholarship costs) must be allocated to the players---is going to be introduced into the next session of Congress. Thats a HUGE potential trigger for early CFP expansion as I have no idea where P5's that commonly bring in close to (or more than) 100 million a year in athletic department revenue will get 50 million to pay the players.
(This post was last modified: 12-26-2020 04:51 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-26-2020 04:40 PM
Advertisement

JHS55 Offline
All American

i agree with jed, the G5 commissioners need to do something proactive together right now, why wait, something should have been done years ago
12-27-2020 01:49 PM
jedclampett Offline
All American

(12-27-2020 01:49 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  i agree with jed, the G5 commissioners need to do something proactive together right now, why wait, something should have been done years ago

The commissioners could start out promptly enough, and despite the pandemic constraints, by planning to have a series of informal weekly or bi-weekly luncheon-type meetings to share and commiserate about some of their common interests and concerns on zoom.

To maximize their ultimate chances of success from the standpoint of mutual empowerment, they could offer the Presidents of the independent FBS schools, as a group, the opportunity to be represented by someone who would have the same level of participation in the discussions as the 5 G5 commissioners.

Their informal lunch meetings could evolve into brainstorming sessions that would generate ideas as to how they might be able to promote the interests of the non-P5 schools and conferences.

There might be enough common ground to lead to a consensus about certain actions that the commissioners might like to take, as a group.

In order to make progress without getting caught up in the details, they might elect to set up committees, comprised of members from their staffs, or otherwise appointed. These committees could coordinate their efforts and meet independently, as needed.

After a period of months, the commissioners might formulate a proposal to form a working group with the goal of exploring the option of forming a coalition or an association with a formal title and logo, a regular staff, and periodic meetings among the commissioners or their representatives.

Within a year or two, they might consider appointing a rotating commissioner for the organization, from among their ranks, whom they and the leadership of their conferences could empower to hold discussions with the NCAA, the news media, congressional representatives, the P5 conferences, the networks, etc.

As a formal entity, this organization would have a great deal more power and influence than the individual G5 conferences currently have. It would have the ability to sponsor events (tournaments, bowl games, etc.), to intervene as needed on behalf of its constituents, and to negotiate on behalf of its member institutions for fairer and more equitable opportunities.

Starting from a few informal conversations, it wouldn't be difficult for them to organize themselves, at first, into an informal working group, and then into something approaching a formal coalition, evolving into a full-fledged mutual-empowerment organization to represent the interests of the nearly 70 non-P5 FBS universities within 2-3 years.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020 02:45 PM by jedclampett.)
12-27-2020 02:34 PM
johnbragg Offline

(12-27-2020 02:34 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  As a formal entity, this organization would have a great deal more power and influence than the individual G5 conferences currently have.

Disagree. What exactly would make the whole worth more than the sum of the parts here?

Quote:It would have the ability to sponsor events (tournaments, bowl games, etc.),

Bowl games, yes, the G5 could set up bowl games. But nobody wants to play bowl games against the G5. The only reason anybody does is that there are only so many P5 schools to go around. ESPN has taken the responsibility to make sure that their partner leagues have enough bowl games and sets up the pairings. What is the G5 council going to do that's better than what ESPN is offering?

Tournaments? The G5 is only a thing in football. In any other sport, there is no G5. There is no separation between the Sun Belt and the CAA, the MAC and the Missouri Valley or the Horizon.

Maybe a G5-wide association could maybe sorta kinda put some oomph into the nonrevenue sports, create some separation between say the MAC and the Horizon, the Sun Belt and the CAA. But the MWC and AAC have no reason to care about that. They already have separation.

Quote: to intervene as needed on behalf of its constituents, and to negotiate on behalf of its member institutions for fairer and more equitable opportunities.

Negotiate what? With what leverage? It's not like there are a lot of opportunities now where there's discord and competition between the CUSA and Sun Belt.

Quote:Starting from a few informal conversations, it wouldn't be difficult for them to organize themselves, at first, into an informal working group, and then into something approaching a formal coalition, evolving into a full-fledged mutual-empowerment organization to represent the interests of the nearly 70 non-P5 FBS universities within 2-3 years.

If it were worth doing, they could do it tomorrow. Or at any time in the last 7 years. They haven't. Does that signify anything to you?
12-27-2020 03:11 PM
Attackcoog Offline

(12-27-2020 02:34 PM)jedclampett Wrote:  
(12-27-2020 01:49 PM)JHS55 Wrote:  i agree with jed, the G5 commissioners need to do something proactive together right now, why wait, something should have been done years ago

The commissioners could start out promptly enough, and despite the pandemic constraints, by planning to have a series of informal weekly or bi-weekly luncheon-type meetings to share and commiserate about some of their common interests and concerns on zoom.

To maximize their ultimate chances of success from the standpoint of mutual empowerment, they could offer the Presidents of the independent FBS schools, as a group, the opportunity to be represented by someone who would have the same level of participation in the discussions as the 5 G5 commissioners.

Their informal lunch meetings could evolve into brainstorming sessions that would generate ideas as to how they might be able to promote the interests of the non-P5 schools and conferences.

There might be enough common ground to lead to a consensus about certain actions that the commissioners might like to take, as a group.

In order to make progress without getting caught up in the details, they might elect to set up committees, comprised of members from their staffs, or otherwise appointed. These committees could coordinate their efforts and meet independently, as needed.

After a period of months, the commissioners might formulate a proposal to form a working group with the goal of exploring the option of forming a coalition or an association with a formal title and logo, a regular staff, and periodic meetings among the commissioners or their representatives.

Within a year or two, they might consider appointing a rotating commissioner for the organization, from among their ranks, whom they and the leadership of their conferences could empower to hold discussions with the NCAA, the news media, congressional representatives, the P5 conferences, the networks, etc.

As a formal entity, this organization would have a great deal more power and influence than the individual G5 conferences currently have. It would have the ability to sponsor events (tournaments, bowl games, etc.), to intervene as needed on behalf of its constituents, and to negotiate on behalf of its member institutions for fairer and more equitable opportunities.

Starting from a few informal conversations, it wouldn't be difficult for them to organize themselves, at first, into an informal working group, and then into something approaching a formal coalition, evolving into a full-fledged mutual-empowerment organization to represent the interests of the nearly 70 non-P5 FBS universities within 2-3 years.

I only see two things that a coalition of the G5 could do that would be "positive".

One--would be to band together and pledge a portion (say 5 million a year) of the 85 million dollar G5 pay out to go toward building a "Champions Series" of bowl games designed to provide a good "high pay out" landing spot for the 4 G5 champs not heading to the access bowl. The bowls would be owned by the G5.

I would have there be 2 bowl games where the #2 and #3 G5 champs play the top P5 school the G5 can lure for the money (the P5 payout for these bowls would rival the CFP bowls). The third bowl would pit the #4 and #5 G5 champs and would pay less. Over the next 5 years the G5 could amass a war chest of nearly 25 million dollars to launch these bowls. Once started---I see no reason why such high quality bowls would not be self sufficient or even generate a nice profit. Thus, once the bowls start, the G5 annual 5 million contribution to fund the bowls can end or be greatly reduced.

The second thing the G5 could do is band together and negotiate the entire G5 game package as a group. Thats half the FBS inventory under one agent. That would give the G5 more negotiating leverage than they currently have. The problem there is the AAC, which makes substantially more than the rest of the G5 would probably want to opt out of such a package. While the "group negotiation" method would likely produce more total revenue for the G5 group as a whole---the AAC probably would not get as large a revenue stream as they would negotiating on their own.
(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020 08:11 PM by Attackcoog.)
12-27-2020 03:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.