Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Replace Mark Montgomery ASAP
Bookmark and Share
NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
There are sub-discussions on so many threads about replacing Monty, I thought a dedicated thread made sense. Hopefully Sean Frazier takes a read at some point...

His contract is up at the end of the year, no? I know most fans doubt that STF would ever extend Monty's contract given his track record, but dumber things have happened.

God bless him and his family, he seems like a decent guy, but he's no good for the NIU brand. He has failed to establish a good foundation after a decade of opportunity, and doesn't seem ever to have been terribly engaged with fans or the Dekalb community.

How to make sure he doesn't receive a renewal, and who are good candidates to fill his shoes and bring some love back into the Convo?
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2020 12:25 PM by NIUfilmmaker.)
12-23-2020 12:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NIUfilmmaker Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU!
RE: Replace Mark Montgomery ASAP
Sorry all, not sure why this thread posted 4 times, and the system will not allow me to delete them for some reason. Please treat this as the official thread.... (and happy holidays!)
12-23-2020 12:20 PM
chihuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
Maybe the system is saying it deserves to be stated four times? AI?
12-23-2020 12:22 PM
HUSKIEFOOTBALLFAN Offline
All American

I Root For: Huskies
Huskie proverb - Anything worth saying once is worth saying four times

Goodbye Toledo!
Goodbye Toledo!!
Goodbye Toledo!!!
Goodbye Toledo!!!!
12-23-2020 12:28 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(12-23-2020 12:15 PM)NIUfilmmaker Wrote:  There are sub-discussions on so many threads about replacing Monty, I thought a dedicated thread made sense. Hopefully Sean Frazier takes a read at some point...

His contract is up at the end of the year, no? I know most fans doubt that STF would ever extend Monty's contract given his track record, but dumber things have happened.

God bless him and his family, he seems like a decent guy, but he's no good for the NIU brand. He has failed to establish a good foundation after a decade of opportunity, and doesn't seem ever to have been terribly engaged with fans or the Dekalb community.

How to make sure he doesn't receive a renewal, and who are good candidates to fill his shoes and bring some love back into the Convo?

Well-stated.

Sounds like some posters want Montgomery gone right NOW. That would be foolish, imo. Likewise, it would be foolish for STF to announce that MM won't be back next season right NOW. How would that affect the team? So let's try for a little class. Let people keep their dignity.

Since MM gets paid through June 30 anyway, let him resign with that pay, but in March with the season done. Nothing done right NOW is going to change anything anyway. It would expand both the hiring time and recruiting window. Some schools have done it just that way. The "we decided to go in a different direction" theme is pretty common.

Imo (and I hope) Frazier is just letting the clock run out (June 30). Hopefully his thoughts are that NIU will get through this abnormal Covid-impacted season and then make a change. After the season, STF then has an HC salary of just over $300,000 to work with. I think/hope STF has already made up his mind. Some indicators are there that this is the way it's going ... a modest 2% Covid-related salary cut of about $7,000 (others took up to 10%), no scholarship offers going out, apparently no extra up-coaching effort, etc. It's all running in place.

But however it's looked at, if NIU is really going to stop reaching up to touch bottom, a change in attitude and direction are needed, from the top down. Hopefully it will start with a new MBB coaching regime.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2020 12:35 PM by pvk75.)
12-23-2020 12:29 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
A normal, rational person would have fired Monty long ago and brought in anybody willing to accept the salary. But, we need to understand that STF is not normal or rational. At a time when Monty should have been shown the door, he got a contract extension. Do NOT be surprised if he now gets another extension. Again, there is absolutely no way that Monty should get an extension. But, we are not dealing with normal people here. Nothing would surprise me. I just hope that the Northern Star has its antenna raised.
12-23-2020 12:32 PM
Advertisement

pvk75 Offline
All American

(12-23-2020 12:32 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  A normal, rational person would have fired Monty long ago and brought in anybody willing to accept the salary. But, we need to understand that STF is not normal or rational. At a time when Monty should have been shown the door, he got a contract extension. Do NOT be surprised if he now gets another extension. Again, there is absolutely no way that Monty should get an extension. But, we are not dealing with normal people here. Nothing would surprise me. I just hope that the Northern Star has its antenna raised.

Absolutely correct. Unfortunately, we are where we're at. This needs to be done as smoothly as possible, since Northern cannot take any more hits, i.e. bureaucratic screw-ups. First, we need to know (FOIA?) if there has indeed been an extension. This is STF's "big moment," when he can either diplomatically indicate where it's headed, or play the internalist we-know-what's-best-for-everyone game. You know it well, since it's done so much damage to the fan base.

Possibly this situation is being held in limbo until after the holidays.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2020 12:55 PM by pvk75.)
12-23-2020 12:39 PM
BDB5yp Offline
All American

(12-23-2020 12:39 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 12:32 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  A normal, rational person would have fired Monty long ago and brought in anybody willing to accept the salary. But, we need to understand that STF is not normal or rational. At a time when Monty should have been shown the door, he got a contract extension. Do NOT be surprised if he now gets another extension. Again, there is absolutely no way that Monty should get an extension. But, we are not dealing with normal people here. Nothing would surprise me. I just hope that the Northern Star has its antenna raised.

Absolutely correct. Unfortunately, we are where we're at. This needs to be done as smoothly as possible, since Northern cannot take any more hits, i.e. bureaucratic screw-ups. First, we need to know (FOIA?) if there has indeed been an extension. This is STF's "big moment," when he can either diplomatically indicate where it's headed, or play the internalist we-know-what's-best-for-everyone game. You know it well, since it's done so much damage to the fan base.

Possibly this situation is being held in limbo until after the holidays.

Yeah. We need a new basketball coach. He’s back to square one, as if he just got there. You would think that he inherited the worst program in the country, but this a not an NIU standard.That is not a good sign. He’s recruited some solid players but has yet to figure out how to put together a winner minus last season. We should not be this terrible after 10 years of the same system.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2020 01:21 PM by BDB5yp.)
12-23-2020 01:20 PM
HuskieJ Offline
No 1 Illness Hater

I Root For: NIU Only
You need to release him now. You need to be first in line for whatever low level assistant or lower division coach is available. Waiting until June sets you back another full year. Do it now. This is what a real program would do to show that this level of play is not acceptable.
12-23-2020 02:28 PM
clcfball11 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU!!!
If we decide to go in a new direction, I hope Frazier goes in with a high-ceiling mindset and a willingness to take on some risk. It's going to take something drastic to dig this program out of the hole Ricardo Patton buried us in. I know the focus now is on Monty but it does seem like Patton is to blame for setting the program back decades.

Hire a young, energetic as hell successful high school coach for all I care. Go all in on someone less safe. At this point, **** it.
12-23-2020 03:27 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(12-23-2020 03:27 PM)clcfball11 Wrote:  If we decide to go in a new direction, I hope Frazier goes in with a high-ceiling mindset and a willingness to take on some risk. It's going to take something drastic to dig this program out of the hole Ricardo Patton buried us in. I know the focus now is on Monty but it does seem like Patton is to blame for setting the program back decades.

Hire a young, energetic as hell successful high school coach for all I care. Go all in on someone less safe. At this point, **** it.

The Ricardo Patton era is long over. Monty has had 10 years to reverse what Patton did and bring back quality basketball to NIU. That is more than enough time! It takes both recruiting and coaching ability, both of which are sorely lacking. It is long past time to move in a new direction.
12-23-2020 03:36 PM
Advertisement

MGMFIN86 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: NIU
Be bold and let Monty go now. This team might not win another game if Monty is here or not for the remainder of the season. Of course it would be a bit more classy to wait till after the holidays. IMHO
12-23-2020 03:57 PM
pvk75 Offline
All American

One more time for me, then it's 'nuff said (sorry to bore you all) ...

Mr. Frazier, if you read this board at all, listen to the fans and alumni. Football is in a rebuild, and most of us with common sense have patience with that. It's also understood that not all programs are going to be successful at the same time. But this "thing" with MBB has gone on long enough; too long.

I have said this many times, and so I think have others: 10,000 fans each contributing $100 is the same $1 million as 100 fans each contributing $10,000. Here's an add-on: if you can get 50% of each group to attend (when allowed) that's either 50 or 5,000 seats filled. Think beyond Covid-19 restrictions. That time is coming. Which group do you want?

I'd say both. And a good crowd (when allowed) looks so much better on TV, if that's your main concern. Even casual viewers say "hey, a lot of people are there; this must be worth watching." Advertisers also love to see bigger viewership counts. Think "$ponsor$."

But nobody wants to watch this mess, either in person (when allowed) or on TV. I've been around Huskies sports for going on 49 years, as a student, fan and alumnus. And in addition to the people who've said so on this board, I know other people who've been around even longer who are saying "the hell with it." Be a shame if that mantra replaced "the hard way."

Do it or lose it.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2020 04:00 PM by pvk75.)
12-23-2020 03:58 PM
clcfball11 Offline
All American

I Root For: NIU!!!
(12-23-2020 03:36 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 03:27 PM)clcfball11 Wrote:  If we decide to go in a new direction, I hope Frazier goes in with a high-ceiling mindset and a willingness to take on some risk. It's going to take something drastic to dig this program out of the hole Ricardo Patton buried us in. I know the focus now is on Monty but it does seem like Patton is to blame for setting the program back decades.

The Ricardo Patton era is long over. Monty has had 10 years to reverse what Patton did and bring back quality basketball to NIU. That is more than enough time! It takes both recruiting and coaching ability, both of which are sorely lacking. It is long past time to move in a new direction.

Totally agree, just making the point of how deep the damage is.
12-23-2020 06:23 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

At this point we'll probably need our version of Chris Creighton to come in and raise the level of play from "dumpster fire" to "competitive".
12-23-2020 06:36 PM
Dog Fan Offline
Hall of Famer

Donators
(12-23-2020 06:23 PM)clcfball11 Wrote:  
(12-23-2020 03:36 PM)Dog Fan Wrote:  

Totally agree, just making the point of how deep the damage is.

Absolutely. We went to the Big Dance in 1996. That was our last glory. We have been in the sewer this entire century. How can an Athletics Director let this situation continue? Isn’t he as disgusted and embarrassed as the rest of us? I guess I keep forgetting that I’m talking about STF - Mr. Positive himself!
12-23-2020 06:51 PM
Advertisement

NILAW Offline

(12-23-2020 03:58 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  One more time for me, then it's 'nuff said (sorry to bore you all) ...

Mr. Frazier, if you read this board at all, listen to the fans and alumni. Football is in a rebuild, and most of us with common sense have patience with that. It's also understood that not all programs are going to be successful at the same time. But this "thing" with MBB has gone on long enough; too long.

I have said this many times, and so I think have others: 10,000 fans each contributing $100 is the same $1 million as 100 fans each contributing $10,000. Here's an add-on: if you can get 50% of each group to attend (when allowed) that's either 50 or 5,000 seats filled. Think beyond Covid-19 restrictions. That time is coming. Which group do you want?

I'd say both. And a good crowd (when allowed) looks so much better on TV, if that's your main concern. Even casual viewers say "hey, a lot of people are there; this must be worth watching." Advertisers also love to see bigger viewership counts. Think "$ponsor$."

But nobody wants to watch this mess, either in person (when allowed) or on TV. I've been around Huskies sports for going on 49 years, as a student, fan and alumnus. And in addition to the people who've said so on this board, I know other people who've been around even longer who are saying "the hell with it." Be a shame if that mantra replaced "the hard way."

Do it or lose it.

Well said as usual!

As much as I think Monty seems like a good guy and a good representative of NIU, there simply is not a single objective reason why he should get an extension. To give him an extension is a statement that being this bad is acceptable, when it clearly isn't. STF has to see what is patently clear. It is time (and overdue) for a change and to get our MBB team back to competitive and respectable. Whatever way is the best for the team is how it should be handled.

I didn't get here until just now and I deleted the 3 duplicate threads as soon as I saw them and the post here.
12-23-2020 07:23 PM
Milwaukee Pilot Offline
1st String

(12-23-2020 03:58 PM)pvk75 Wrote:  One more time for me, then it's 'nuff said (sorry to bore you all) ...

Do it or lose it.

President Freeman, if you read this board at all......listen to the fans and the alumni.....start at the top.
(This post was last modified: 12-23-2020 08:16 PM by Milwaukee Pilot.)
12-23-2020 08:16 PM
huskies77 Online
Bench Warmer

Absolutely. We went to the Big Dance in 1996. That was our last glory. We have been in the sewer this entire century. How can an Athletics Director let this situation continue? Isn’t he as disgusted and embarrassed as the rest of us? I guess I keep forgetting that I’m talking about STF - Mr. Positive himself!
[/quote]

Then you so-called dog fan must be Mr. Negative. All you ever do is gripe, complain and spout negativity. Every post with you is the same: sarcasm wrapped around whining.

There haven't been any real "glory days" of NIU basketball--a few bright spots where the Huskies went to the tourney but mostly mediocre or less. No Huskie team has ever won as many games in a 5 year span than Monty's last 5 years. He is third all time on the Huskie coach win list.

A coach can only win with support and there has been little or no commitment to basketball in the decade he has been here. NIU pays assistants the lowest salaries, by far, in the MAC. NIU has to travel further, by far, than any other MAC school. The NIU productions for ESPN3 is the most bare bones and pays the least to on air talent. (for what they pay, Andy and Coach Mark are tremendous and Bill Baker & Rodney Davis are first rate).

You, dogfan, must be a joy to live with or be around--always griping, complaining and moaning. Try, just once to enjoy the game, possession by possession. Since all you seem to care about is the result, just wait till it is over and look at the box score. Or just go follow perennial winners like Kansas or Gonzaga. you would be happier. Try to accept the reality that NIU doesn't have the resources to be great.
12-23-2020 10:41 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
NIU just doesn’t have the basketball culture or support or resources. Attendance bottom of the MAC and in-line with the dregs of D1 who do worse on the court than NIU. This narrows the pool of who NIU can get considerably.

It’ll take beating everyone else to a really good assistant or a retread who was wrongly fired, but guys like Bryan Mullins, Luke Yaklich, & Rob Jeter have already been snatched up.

I’d hire Linc Darner. These were his 5 years at UWGB:
11-7 NCAA
12-6
7-11
10-8
11-7

Before UWGB, he won the D2 National Title in 2015 at 36-1.
12-24-2020 12:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.