Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Notre Dame to boycott Rose Bowl?
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Notre Dame to boycott Rose Bowl?
https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...ll-playoff

Thought I originally saw this on here, but can't find a thread.

"Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly said Friday that if the Irish are chosen to make the College Football Playoff, they would consider not playing if families are not allowed to attend the semifinal game....

Clemson coach Dabo Swinney said it would be a "poor decision" and a "mistake" to keep a playoff venue where parents and families cannot attend.

"It makes no sense to me to put a bunch of kids on a plane and fly them all the way to California to play in an empty stadium," Swinney said. "That makes zero sense when you have plenty of stadiums where you can have fans and, most importantly, you can have families...."

The problem is the Rose Bowl and Los Angeles who are not going to allow any fans. Dabo seems to have some common sense.

Big 10 AD Warren is an idiot and needs to be fired. When people talk about moving it out of the Rose Bowl he talks about a 107 year old tradition.

First, the Big 10/Pac game that started in the 40s went away with the BCS. From 2002 to 2006 there were 4 Big 12 teams, 3 Pac teams, 2 Big 10 and a Big East team. This year its a playoff game so you won't have Big 10/Pac 12. You didn't in 2011 when TCU played Wisconsin or 2015 when Florida St. played Oregon or 2018 when Georgia played Oklahoma.

They didn't even have the Rose Bowl in LA in 1942. It was played in Durham, NC. If not for a late season Texas loss, it would have been played in Austin.

There is no Rose Parade. There are no fans in the stands. There's no week of fans roaming around LA. There is no tradition this year. If LA doesn't want fans in the stands, move it somewhere else.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2020 08:40 PM by bullet.)
12-18-2020 08:39 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EKUSteve Offline
1st String

I Root For: EKU & A&M
RE: Notre Dame to boycott Rose Bowl?
Head of the CFP started the drum beat on this earlier this week.
12-18-2020 08:46 PM
BePcr07 Online
All American

I Root For: Boise St & Zags
If they switch the Rose with another CFP for this season and one season in the future, does that change the tie-ins for this season? Would the Rose be a B1G-PAC bowl or something else?
12-18-2020 09:15 PM
solohawks Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
The rose bowl was played in Durham in 1941

It can be moved
12-18-2020 10:06 PM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
The state of CA should end this farce and outlaw the game, just like they have outlawed high school football.
12-18-2020 10:56 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
Liberal California politicians are moralistic and self righteous about virus, they will not bend - unless its a movie production or has some kind of Woke angle to it.
12-18-2020 10:58 PM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
This would a simply antics for publicity and to minimize animosity, but a subtle statement nonetheless.
12-18-2020 11:34 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

(12-18-2020 09:15 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  If they switch the Rose with another CFP for this season and one season in the future, does that change the tie-ins for this season? Would the Rose be a B1G-PAC bowl or something else?

If Oregon holds on you get a double whammy with USC getting an At-Large over Coastal!
12-18-2020 11:37 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(12-18-2020 09:15 PM)BePcr07 Wrote:  If they switch the Rose with another CFP for this season and one season in the future, does that change the tie-ins for this season? Would the Rose be a B1G-PAC bowl or something else?

It would be interesting. I'd kind of guess that they would change the tie-ins.

Assuming Ohio St goes to the CFP, if they did switch then Indiana would become automatic for the Rose Bowl. That would right now knock out Oklahoma/Iowa St loser most likely- definitely if it's Oklahoma.
12-19-2020 01:19 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(12-19-2020 01:19 AM)stever20 Wrote:  

Assuming Ohio St goes to the CFP, if they did switch then Indiana would become automatic for the Rose Bowl. That would right now knock out Oklahoma/Iowa St loser most likely- definitely if it's Oklahoma.

Playoffs are in Rose and Sugar. There is no additional bid for Big 10 if Ohio St. is in playoffs.

They simply move the Rose to a different stadium. That's the logical solution. And if its the 4 leaders, it ought to be moved into the Central Time Zone. No reason in Covid time for Clemson, Ohio St., Notre Dame and Alabama to fly all the way to California when they can't do any of the normal activities anyway.
12-19-2020 10:47 AM
domer1978 Online
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(12-19-2020 10:47 AM)bullet Wrote:  

Playoffs are in Rose and Sugar. There is no additional bid for Big 10 if Ohio St. is in playoffs.

They simply move the Rose to a different stadium. That's the logical solution. And if its the 4 leaders, it ought to be moved into the Central Time Zone. No reason in Covid time for Clemson, Ohio St., Notre Dame and Alabama to fly all the way to California when they can't do any of the normal activities anyway.

Plus Los Angeles is a hot bed. They have the most stringent mask and stay at home declaration but cases are surging. As a Californian let me say our governor is a wanker.
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2020 11:09 AM by domer1978.)
12-19-2020 10:51 AM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

Is Orange forced to take SEC this year? Otherwise they will take Indiana, who probably goes to the Fiesta or Cotton worse comes to worst.
12-19-2020 11:04 AM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
I don't mind if they move out of the Rose Bowl this year but only if the Rose Bowl gets a Playoff semifinal in a future year. The best bowl shouldn't get screwed out. I get no bowl wants to trade. How about the SF bowl that trades with the Rose gets the next open national championship game or the next one they can host?
12-19-2020 11:17 AM
UTEPDallas Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTEP/Penn State
I read days ago the Rose Bowl might be moved to AT&T Stadium in Arlington. Don’t know how serious that is or if it was just a rumor.
12-19-2020 11:58 AM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

Looks like they finally axed the big games on NYE. You can definitely sandwich three games in Arlington that week. Cowboys home on the 27th, Cotton Bowl Wednesday, Rose Bowl game Friday.
12-19-2020 12:12 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(12-19-2020 11:04 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  

Is Orange forced to take SEC this year? Otherwise they will take Indiana, who probably goes to the Fiesta or Cotton worse comes to worst.

The Orange is forced to take the highest ranked non champion SEC or Big Ten team. That's going to be one of Texas A&M, Florida, or Georgia.

Indiana is rooting big time for Iowa St today. They could easily be out of the NY6.
12-19-2020 12:17 PM
Advertisement

RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

(12-19-2020 12:17 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(12-19-2020 11:04 AM)RUScarlets Wrote:  

The Orange is forced to take the highest ranked non champion SEC or Big Ten team. That's going to be one of Texas A&M, Florida, or Georgia.

Indiana is rooting big time for Iowa St today. They could easily be out of the NY6.

No, I thought there was a limit to how many years in a cycle the SEC can represent that slot, but I may be mistaken.
12-19-2020 02:29 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Brian Kelly and Dabo Swine nee should be banned from California for life. The hospitals are filled with covid-19 patients right now. What if a football player gets a life threatning injury? He may have to be flown out of state where there are spaces.
12-19-2020 02:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
domer1978 Online
All American

I Root For: Notre Dame/Chaos
(12-19-2020 02:34 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Brian Kelly and Dabo Swine nee should be banned from California for life. The hospitals are filled with covid-19 patients right now. What if a football player gets a life threatning injury? He may have to be flown out of state where there are spaces.

Lol.
12-19-2020 02:38 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(12-19-2020 02:34 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  Brian Kelly and Dabo Swine nee should be banned from California for life. The hospitals are filled with covid-19 patients right now. What if a football player gets a life threatning injury? He may have to be flown out of state where there are spaces.

Excellent take. We need more people thinking like this. It was a mistake to play college football this year. Hopefully, we lock everything down until 2024. Just to be safe.
12-19-2020 02:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.