Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jackson
Bookmark and Share
Springboromark Offline
All American

I Root For: Toledo
Jackson
Time for him to come off the bench, senior or no senior. Others are playing well to include Rollins.
12-18-2020 11:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

RE: Jackson
I think he's maneuvering for a role in the Baker Mayfield Heisman House commercial. He needs pressure to succeed.

I'd say his OT performance in the Marshal game is enough to see if he's broken the mental barrier, is back to his old self. Start him, play him, short leash on the missed shots.
12-18-2020 12:15 PM
letsgoblue Offline
Special Teams

(12-18-2020 11:57 AM)Springboromark Wrote:  Time for him to come off the bench, senior or no senior. Others are playing well to include Rollins.

Wow! You want to bench someone that's the team leader in 4 categories? Leads the team in Points, Free Throw %, Steals and Assists; and we haven't considered all the intangibles that Marreon brings to the team and each game. Absolutely not!!
12-18-2020 12:31 PM
rocket 51 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Great players add in other ways to a team when they are going through a slump. MJ should be given the chance to fight through this start and NOT be benched just yet. Will admit that our young folks are looking solid at the start of 2020! Rollins is the real deal so far.
12-18-2020 12:51 PM
bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
Just my 2 cents here, but I think there’s a difference between “benching” and “coming off the bench”. It seems to me that Marreon for whatever reasons has had pretty slow starts to games this season, and it might be helpful to him to allow him to not start, watch the flow of the game for some minutes, and then use what he’s seen from the bench to his advantage when he comes into the game after 3-4 minute. Might help him slow down & pick his shots?

Of course, if he picks up from where he left off during the Marshall OT then this is no longer an issue.
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2020 05:09 PM by bcunn3128.)
12-18-2020 12:57 PM
Nick in Cleveland Offline
1st String

Totally disagree Spring.

While his shooting has sucked so far, the way he dominated the OT at Marshall gives me hope that he’s still the best player on the team right now. When things fall together who knows, but the MAC is very weak this year and he should do well in conference games.

I like this D2 transfer from Walsh. Question to all, is our roster that bad that a D2 transfer may end up being a top 5 player on our team by. Year end.
12-18-2020 01:04 PM
Advertisement

H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(12-18-2020 12:31 PM)letsgoblue Wrote:  
(12-18-2020 11:57 AM)Springboromark Wrote:  Time for him to come off the bench, senior or no senior. Others are playing well to include Rollins.

Wow! You want to bench someone that's the team leader in 4 categories? Leads the team in Points, Free Throw %, Steals and Assists; and we haven't considered all the intangibles that Marreon brings to the team and each game. Absolutely not!!

He may lead in points but his shooting has been poor. He may lead in assists but he’s the PG so that’s a given. He may lead in free throw percentage but only because he HASN’T MISSED A SINGLE FREE THROW?04-jawdrop

He hasn’t shown the brilliance of last year’s MJ but he’ll be fine.
12-18-2020 01:11 PM
cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: basketball
(12-18-2020 01:04 PM)Nick in Cleveland Wrote:  Totally disagree Spring.

While his shooting has sucked so far, the way he dominated the OT at Marshall gives me hope that he’s still the best player on the team right now. When things fall together who knows, but the MAC is very weak this year and he should do well in conference games.

I like this D2 transfer from Walsh. Question to all, is our roster that bad that a D2 transfer may end up being a top 5 player on our team by. Year end.

"The MAC is very weak this year ..." seems to be the annual moan when it comes to basketball, yet I don't think one can argue that Toledo, OU, Buffalo and Kent for sure ... with BG, Ball and Akron quite likely ... very capable of pulling quality upsets over P5 teams. Indeed, Ohio and Kent arguably should have done so already. And this is the case most seasons.

Yet nobody says "the MAC is very weak this year" in football when UT and maaaybe WMU/NIU are arguably the only MAC teams capable of pulling a P5 upset on the gridiron.

As it stands right now, in a bastard season, all 7 teams mentioned above have to be considered viable contenders for a MAC regular-season title. ... which means, there will be a five-team battle (EMU, CMU, WMU, Mia, NIU) for the eighth and final spot for the 2021 MAC Tournament field.
12-18-2020 01:21 PM
H2Oville Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For: Toledo R0ckets
(12-18-2020 01:21 PM)cleveland Wrote:  
(12-18-2020 01:04 PM)Nick in Cleveland Wrote:  Totally disagree Spring.

"The MAC is very weak this year ..." seems to be the annual moan when it comes to basketball, yet I don't think one can argue that Toledo, OU, Buffalo and Kent for sure ... with BG, Ball and Akron quite likely ... very capable of pulling quality upsets over P5 teams. Indeed, Ohio and Kent arguably should have done so already. And this is the case most seasons.

Yet nobody says "the MAC is very weak this year" in football when UT and maaaybe WMU/NIU are arguably the only MAC teams capable of pulling a P5 upset on the gridiron.

As it stands right now, in a bastard season, all 7 teams mentioned above have to be considered viable contenders for a MAC regular-season title. ... which means, there will be a five-team battle (EMU, CMU, WMU, Mia, NIU) for the eighth and final spot for the 2021 MAC Tournament field.

Because the MAC is always weak in football? And NIU isn’t upsetting anyone any time soon.
12-18-2020 01:34 PM
UTfanBGalum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT
(12-18-2020 01:11 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(12-18-2020 12:31 PM)letsgoblue Wrote:  

He may lead in points but his shooting has been poor. He may lead in assists but he’s the PG so that’s a given. He may lead in free throw percentage but only because he HASN’T MISSED A SINGLE FREE THROW?04-jawdrop

He hasn’t shown the brilliance of last year’s MJ but he’ll be fine.

I am guessing that one of the things Marion heard from pro connections is that he needed to be better at creating his own shots. His staples last year were the long jumpers and drive and shoot underhand. I think he is doing more dribble and stop and pop and therefore he is not set and/or square and has been missing more. That has led to shooting slumps being more pronounced.
In the scheme of things in the culture a coach creates - isn't allowing a senior with a shot at pros to keep shooting in this situation a tool in the recruiting strategy? That is if a senior can keep shooting and improve on creating their own shot won't top recruits respect that and want to play in this culture?
(This post was last modified: 12-18-2020 03:45 PM by UTfanBGalum.)
12-18-2020 03:33 PM
Rocket75 Offline
1st String

Is there any word as to whether Littleson and Jackson come back next year? If they do, next year's team will have a really deep bench.
12-18-2020 03:35 PM
Advertisement

UTfanBGalum Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UT
(12-18-2020 03:35 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Is there any word as to whether Littleson and Jackson come back next year? If they do, next year's team will have a really deep bench.

Yea I wonder what longer quality benches may do to the game as these Covid guys get their extra season? Will there be more fouls available and therefore more pressure defenses?
12-18-2020 03:59 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2020 12:57 PM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  Just my 2 cents here, but I think there’s a difference between “benching” and “coming off the bench”. It seems to me that Marreon for whatever reasons has had pretty slow starts to games this season, and it might be helpful to him to allow him to not start, watch the flow of the game for some minutes, and then use what he’s seen from the bench to his advantage when he comes into the game after 3-4 minute. Might help him slow down & puck his shots?

Of course, if he picks up from where he left off during the Marshall OT then this is no longer an issue.

I don't disagree with a single thing here. :D
12-18-2020 04:22 PM
utrocks84 Offline
Special Teams

1.) I believe you have to let Jackson play his way out of a slump, He has enough of a history that we thought he was good before this year.
2.) As far as Shumate is concerned, he was a quality performer at DII and if he starts shooting better can benefit our vertically challenged team. He's better than Marenka and has produced similar to Acunzo in a small sample size.
12-18-2020 08:38 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
(12-18-2020 03:35 PM)Rocket75 Wrote:  Is there any word as to whether Littleson and Jackson come back next year? If they do, next year's team will have a really deep bench.
Littleson is a mystery to me. One game he's 7-8 from 3 or puts up 20+ points. Next game he plays 40 minutes and has one bucket. Definition of hot and cold. I know he brings other intangibles to the table.

With Jackson if he has NBA aspirations, I'd take this year to pad stats and come back next year. So far his play has been spotty outside of OT.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
12-18-2020 10:04 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
marreon has clearly been trying too hard to do too much. is it to impress the pro scouts who told him, "you got a chance but we need to see a little more of this and a little more of that"? is it adjusting to playing along another good ball dominant attacking guard in rollins? was it just as simple as being really pumped up for his senior year and expecting too much of himself? did he just peak as a junior like a fair % of college players do? i think some of it was having 3 of his first 6 games against well coached teams with really good big defenders who schemed to help out or double team on marreon whenever he had the ball. he responded by taking quick mostly long shots whenever he was open instead of just getting comfortable playing good basketball within yourself and moving the ball. he also lost his best high post pick man, rebound and outlet man, the team's post passer to play through, the guy who can block shots and create fast breaks-in edu.

really, it means the team has been learning to reset, repeatedly, while trying to maintain faith in the system and their ability. the first game we play a top 100 team in bradley very well in most ways, lead most of the game, but inconsistent offense and missed shots catch up to us we fade and lose by 2. the second game we look great but edu goes down. the third game against a top50 team on their court we lead most of the way, defense looks great, but missed shots (marreon) catch up to us and we lose by 3. once we got back from cincy and realized edu wasn't gonna be back the team team reset and began looking for a new identity.

it's been patchy, imo. we play fast and fun and crisp for stretches, the hustle is solid, but we look small inside often and the team defense to compensate has been very inconsistent. that's probably a key. if the team can create a team defensive strategy to help and recover aggressively. take away the easy options with that and get more steals or deflections, becomes a pesky defense, we should be very good. the offense is on and off but there's the pieces to figure it out.

i don't see a shumate vs acunzo narrative. just another reset. ok, now the 6-7 forward who was gonna redshirt is eligible, and the key big guy is hurt. acunzo and shumate are different players. acunzo is very skilled. he's a great recruit in that he has size and he loves to ball and can anticipate. i hope he plays more. shumate was a D2 player, ok. not D1. but still 4 year college basketball. he was an all conference player and played for the D2 version of the national team one summer. like acunzo you can tell he wants to make plays and they're about the same size, but shumate is more physical and has some of that interior garbage man potential to be a scrappy guy in the paint where we are thin. he shot a good % at 3 at walsh and shot them often and eventually that accuracy will carry over to toledo but the defense is better here so it might be a good minute before his shooting form returns.

it's a good message board team. there's interesting players, prob enough victories to stay upbeat, the potential to be a good undersized fast and aggressive team that could contend for the mac title and maybe break the ncaa drought...we could be bg, with higher expectations playing worse.
12-18-2020 10:40 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-18-2020 10:40 PM)pono Wrote:  marreon has clearly been trying too hard to do too much. is it to impress the pro scouts who told him, "you got a chance but we need to see a little more of this and a little more of that"? is it adjusting to playing along another good ball dominant attacking guard in rollins? was it just as simple as being really pumped up for his senior year and expecting too much of himself? did he just peak as a junior like a fair % of college players do? i think some of it was having 3 of his first 6 games against well coached teams with really good big defenders who schemed to help out or double team on marreon whenever he had the ball. he responded by taking quick mostly long shots whenever he was open instead of just getting comfortable playing good basketball within yourself and moving the ball. he also lost his best high post pick man, rebound and outlet man, the team's post passer to play through, the guy who can block shots and create fast breaks-in edu.
I can imagine all those scenarios going through his own head but ultimately, if there's a reason beyond mental block, he's probably the only one that knows. Could be nothing more than the massive change in personal life everyone is going through. Hope he works it out for his own sake. Not much worse feeling than you might be letting down those that need you.

I didn't notice any difference in his shot selection from this year to last. Different people feeding him in different places? Make that adjustment every year. Was there a difference in his shot selection in regular vs. OT against Marshall?
12-19-2020 07:25 AM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

Time for you to shut up and let him play. He will be fine this is the time they are supposed to be adjusting to change. With Edu out and Shumate in this will mean the roster is set and practice will be more set. They will work this out.
12-19-2020 09:08 AM
utpotts Offline
Heisman

Thanks coach!!!
(This post was last modified: 12-19-2020 09:12 AM by utpotts.)
12-19-2020 09:12 AM
Springboromark Offline
All American

Hey Rocket Paul opinions don't count. It did generate comments from others. So let me asked you this what have thought of TK since he has been here at UT ? He wasn't great at Green Bay since I followed his progress against teams like Wright State.
12-20-2020 05:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.