Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Coaching Carousel
Bookmark and Share
dansplaining Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU - DCFC
Coaching Carousel
Lovie Smith OUT at Illinois - that's a job that might go to a MAC coach.
12-13-2020 02:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
RE: Coaching Carousel
(12-13-2020 02:07 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  Lovie Smith OUT at Illinois - that's a job that might go to a MAC coach.
Agree, Lance and 3 million plus reasons! Even Mike at Ball St, they were dead last only a few seasons ago! CC is safe! Hasn't won anything yet, and his recruiting rankings don't help!
12-13-2020 02:53 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

(12-13-2020 02:53 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  
(12-13-2020 02:07 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  Lovie Smith OUT at Illinois - that's a job that might go to a MAC coach.
Agree, Lance and 3 million plus reasons! Even Mike at Ball St, they were dead last only a few seasons ago! CC is safe! Hasn't won anything yet, and his recruiting rankings don't help!

The Athletic lists Lance Leipold, Sean Lewis from Kent State, and Jason Candle as coaches from the MAC that might be in the mix
12-13-2020 03:00 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

I Root For: EMU
(12-13-2020 03:00 PM)dansplaining Wrote:  

The Athletic lists Lance Leipold, Sean Lewis from Kent State, and Jason Candle as coaches from the MAC that might be in the mix

I could see Lance as the hottest prospect in the MAC. Lewis who actually might have done a better job in a tough situation probably needs a division title for such a job. Candle has done the opposite, he inherited a good team but his trajectory has been down after early success with Campbell's players.

I'm surprised that McElwain was not listed. Yes he has some less than positive history but he has definitely made an impact at CMU. He lost his QB during our game, still beat us and gave Toledo all they could handle yesterday .
12-13-2020 03:20 PM
EMUGLORYDAYSthe90's Offline
1st String

I Root For: E MICH
(12-13-2020 03:20 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  

I could see Lance as the hottest prospect in the MAC. Lewis who actually might have done a better job in a tough situation probably needs a division title for such a job. Candle has done the opposite, he inherited a good team but his trajectory has been down after early success with Campbell's players.

I'm surprised that McElwain was not listed. Yes he has some less than positive history but he has definitely made an impact at CMU. He lost his QB during our game, still beat us and gave Toledo all they could handle yesterday .
Surprised Mike Neu isn't on that list! Ball St went from last to first!
12-13-2020 06:58 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

Auburn fired Malzahn and will pay him $21+ Million to go away. Their athletic dept, however, has mandated a uniform cost cut. CBS 60 Minutes just produced an episode criticizing cutting non-revenue sports while feeding the football monster. Are the people at Auburn that tone-deaf?
12-13-2020 08:11 PM
Advertisement

steve4840 Offline
1st String

I agree. Love CC, but McElwain might be the best X-O's guy available. Took an 0-for team to like 7-8 wins the next season.
12-13-2020 10:07 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(12-13-2020 08:11 PM)Jerry Weaver Wrote:  Auburn fired Malzahn and will pay him $21+ Million to go away. Their athletic dept, however, has mandated a uniform cost cut. CBS 60 Minutes just produced an episode criticizing cutting non-revenue sports while feeding the football monster. Are the people at Auburn that tone-deaf?

It'll take a few donors to cover that cost. Don't think the donors didnt have something to do with this. 21 mil is insane but the University only does this with backing of the $$ alum. Look for some coordinators in the SEC here.
12-13-2020 10:09 PM
dansplaining Offline
All American

im frequently wrong about everything - so take this with a grain of salt - but leipold has solich energy to me and he might be in buffalo for another decade
12-14-2020 06:16 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
My feeling is that Toledo would be happy to see Candle leave, a feeling that appears to be growing at WMU with Lester.
12-14-2020 06:51 AM
truEMU07 Offline
Special Teams

(12-14-2020 06:16 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  

im frequently wrong about everything - so take this with a grain of salt - but leipold has solich energy to me and he might be in buffalo for another decade

Slightly different situation to me, seeing as Solich won over 50 games at Nebraska and earned the money a P5 job has. Leipold has built something strong at Buffalo and he may love western New York (there’s a lot to love out there), but he hasn’t made the P5 money yet.
12-14-2020 07:41 AM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

(12-14-2020 07:41 AM)truEMU07 Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 06:16 AM)dansplaining Wrote:  
(12-13-2020 02:53 PM)EMUGLORYDAYSthe90s Wrote:  Agree, Lance and 3 million plus reasons! Even Mike at Ball St, they were dead last only a few seasons ago! CC is safe! Hasn't won anything yet, and his recruiting rankings don't help!

Slightly different situation to me, seeing as Solich won over 50 games at Nebraska and earned the money a P5 job has. Leipold has built something strong at Buffalo and he may love western New York (there’s a lot to love out there), but he hasn’t made the P5 money yet.

I think buffalo has Boise State potential. it's a big school with a lot of money.
12-14-2020 08:42 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear Friends,
I would disagree with some of you about McElwain. First of all he has a mixed bag in his past coaching stops, and even has controversy at Central with his quarterback using a banned substance. If, the Central board is correct, he's interviewing for the Southern Alabama job.
Candle and Lester are mediocre at best, and they are the highest paid in the MAC. If, Illinois is interested in either, I would be surprised.
12-14-2020 10:25 AM
fanfrompowellspub Offline
Special Teams

Southern Alabama already hired a new coach.
12-14-2020 10:32 AM
Ken Barna Offline
All American

Dear fanfrompowellspub,
Who was it? Maybe they didn't like McElwain's portfolio.
It was Kane Wommack, assistant at the University of Indiana.
(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020 11:36 AM by Ken Barna.)
12-14-2020 10:48 AM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-14-2020 10:48 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear fanfrompowellspub,

So are Indiana assistants the coaching flavor of the month?
12-14-2020 11:52 AM
Advertisement

dansplaining Offline
All American

(12-14-2020 11:52 AM)emu79 Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 10:48 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear fanfrompowellspub,

So are Indiana assistants the coaching flavor of the month?

good hire - wommack is a former DC at southern alabama
12-14-2020 12:57 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I wonder if Neal will be a candidate for the IU job as most of you know CC and the IU coach have a long relationship
12-14-2020 01:28 PM
Jerry Weaver Offline
All American

(12-14-2020 06:51 AM)emu79 Wrote:  My feeling is that Toledo would be happy to see Candle leave, a feeling that appears to be growing at WMU with Lester.

One could make the case that they are the underperformers of the MAC. Both inherited championship programs and while being the big earners have indeed "done less with more".
12-14-2020 05:56 PM
steve4840 Offline
1st String

(12-14-2020 10:25 AM)Ken Barna Wrote:  Dear Friends,
I would disagree with some of you about McElwain. First of all he has a mixed bag in his past coaching stops, and even has controversy at Central with his quarterback using a banned substance. If, the Central board is correct, he's interviewing for the Southern Alabama job.
Candle and Lester are mediocre at best, and they are the highest paid in the MAC. If, Illinois is interested in either, I would be surprised.

Is Southern Alabama a step up from CMU? Doesnt seem so. McElwain will likely leave CMU soon, but that seems lateral at best. In my opinion, Illinois might be willing to take a flier on a guy like McElwain.
12-14-2020 11:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.