Sorta Sad
Bookmark and Share
ncrdbl1 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
Sorta Sad
Tommy West is the ONLY Tigers football coach to win two Bowl Games
12-13-2020 05:25 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Brandon
RE: Sorta Sad
Yeah, I grow weary of the revisionist history about Coach West. He was great. Just lost his drive, and had a bad couple of last years.
12-14-2020 10:13 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mapdude Offline
Enthusiastically Ambivalant

I Root For: U of Memphis

DonatorsDonators
(12-14-2020 10:13 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Yeah, I grow weary of the revisionist history about Coach West. He was great. Just lost his drive, and had a bad couple of last years.

Yep, after the heart problems his outlook on life changed big time and he did lose his fire.
12-14-2020 10:48 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
macgar32 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
(12-14-2020 10:48 PM)mapdude Wrote:  
(12-14-2020 10:13 AM)geosnooker2000 Wrote:  Yeah, I grow weary of the revisionist history about Coach West. He was great. Just lost his drive, and had a bad couple of last years.

Yep, after the heart problems his outlook on life changed big time and he did lose his fire.

Yeah...

His overall record @ Memphis was 49-61

Deangeloless record was...22-39
12-14-2020 10:53 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

The writing was on the wall in 2006.
12-15-2020 01:41 AM
Advertisement

MemphisFan95 Offline
Coach A

The revisionist history that he sabotaged his own career by deciding to stop recruiting?
12-15-2020 09:43 AM
Stammers Offline
Legend

(12-15-2020 09:43 AM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  

The revisionist history that he sabotaged his own career by deciding to stop recruiting?

There is a clear line drawn between great performance and good recruiting, and poor performance and poor recruiting based on everything below.

- The heart attack
- Spending too much time on unrealistic targets
- Frustration at the lack of action backing up the promises to improve facilities
- Loss of motivation
- Questionable lifestyle choices

After we started winning, I remember very distinctly, being in on quite a few high 3* and 4* recruits, and reading about how our performance was getting us in the door. TW swung for the fences and it was exciting, but the problem is that we didn't land many of them. Then came the heart attack. Then came at least one apology by TW about his actions in social interactions.

The way I look at it, if TW was able to win with bad facilities, he should have been able to keep winning. Most other programs won more than us, and not all of them have better facilities or a bigger budget. Having said that, IF let's say in 2005, there were renovations to the LB, they started building Tiger Lane, and they started construction on the IPF; I'm pretty sure that things would have turned out differently.

The blame lies with both sides, but ultimately there was no excuse for completely running the program into the ground. Maybe the heart attack took all the fight out of TW and instead of quitting, he figured that cashing checks was a fair outcome for being lied to, and working for a POS like RC.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2020 10:33 AM by Stammers.)
12-15-2020 10:32 AM
dan o Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers

Absolutely. He deserves a lot of credit
12-15-2020 10:51 AM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
(12-14-2020 10:48 PM)mapdude Wrote:  

(12-15-2020 10:51 AM)dan o Wrote:  

Without a doubt. He had his strengths. It's too bad we couldn't parlay the growth he brought, similar to how we did with Justin Fuente. That timing would have better for us in regards to conference realignment.
(This post was last modified: 12-15-2020 11:48 AM by gusrob.)
12-15-2020 11:47 AM
Advertisement

pkptigers07 Offline
All American

(12-15-2020 10:32 AM)Stammers Wrote:  
(12-15-2020 09:43 AM)MemphisFan95 Wrote:  

There is a clear line drawn between great performance and good recruiting, and poor performance and poor recruiting based on everything below.

- The heart attack
- Spending too much time on unrealistic targets
- Frustration at the lack of action backing up the promises to improve facilities
- Loss of motivation
- Questionable lifestyle choices

After we started winning, I remember very distinctly, being in on quite a few high 3* and 4* recruits, and reading about how our performance was getting us in the door. TW swung for the fences and it was exciting, but the problem is that we didn't land many of them. Then came the heart attack. Then came at least one apology by TW about his actions in social interactions.

The way I look at it, if TW was able to win with bad facilities, he should have been able to keep winning. Most other programs won more than us, and not all of them have better facilities or a bigger budget. Having said that, IF let's say in 2005, there were renovations to the LB, they started building Tiger Lane, and they started construction on the IPF; I'm pretty sure that things would have turned out differently.

The blame lies with both sides, but ultimately there was no excuse for completely running the program into the ground. Maybe the heart attack took all the fight out of TW and instead of quitting, he figured that cashing checks was a fair outcome for being lied to, and working for a POS like RC.

Let’s not forget the total lack of investment in football at the time. The school and donors were throwing money at the basketball program and leaving the football team out in the cold.

We have had some of the best paid non P5 staffs during the current run. Coach West didn’t have the salary pool to hire top tier assistants much less retain the few stars he had. Losing Fichtner in 2006 was a big blow.

Coach West presented a plan, backed by an assessment of budgets, staffs, and facilities in CUSA. He didn’t get much traction. We were out staffed and out spent by UAB at the time. The plan could might as well have been the blue print fir the past decade as we’ve now done everything Coach West asked for 15 years ago.
12-15-2020 10:56 PM
murphster Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Underdog
(12-15-2020 10:51 AM)dan o Wrote:  

yepper. He deserves a lot of credit
12-15-2020 11:25 PM
Tiger46 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Tigers
Tommy was an old school good ole boy football coach.
But it was Randy Fichtner's scheme that got us over the hump and made us a dual threat team.
And it was puzzling why we couldn't recruit running backs and QBs who would want to play in a system that was so productive for Danny and DeAngelo.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020 11:08 AM by Tiger46.)
12-16-2020 11:06 AM
gusrob Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MEMPHIS - My Alma Mater
(12-16-2020 11:06 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  Tommy was an old school good ole boy football coach.
But it was Randy Fichtner's scheme that got us over the hump and made us a dual threat team.
And it was puzzling why we couldn't recruit running backs and QBs who would want to play in a system that was so productive for Danny and DeAngelo.

Coach Fichtner was HUGE! Glad he's had so much success in Pittsburgh!
12-16-2020 11:51 AM
Advertisement

pkptigers07 Offline
All American

(12-16-2020 11:06 AM)Tiger46 Wrote:  Tommy was an old school good ole boy football coach.

Tommy didn’t have many good recruiters on staff. Recruiting budget was so small at the time that he didn’t even have a recruiting coordinator for the majority of his tenure.

I remember hearing him talk about “extending” our recruiting territory into north Alabama and north Georgia in an area roughly the size of the state of TN if you were to transpose TN across north MS, north AL, and north GA. We certainly have coaches on staff with recruiting connections outside of that area and the budget to travel all over to get players now but at the time that was a step up from the roster he inherited.
12-16-2020 02:27 PM
ddramone Offline
All American

I Root For:
Post-DeAngelo, TW really, really suffered. Throw in the heart attack, the extra marital stuff and bad facilities, his fate was sealed.

I wish TigerJeb was still on the board here since he did an awesome job of chronicling the recruiting classes. TW's last 3 or so recruiting classes were ridiculously loaded with JUCOs (almost 50%!) and when he left, LP was left with absolutely nothing and did even worse with it. Talk about a crater of a program. Makes me really appreciate Fuente.

The 2005 FB season was my favorite season of all time. A former WR turned QB (Maurice Avery) was put in as the starter for a 2-3 Memphis team that was trying to get DW his third bowl game. The game was at Houston and I still remember saying 'Avery is the starter?!?!'. Well, we won that game pretty handily and then we beat ECU the next game in a close one.

We then upset USM to get to 5-5 and everyone knew that (a) the game against Marshall was for a bowl bid and (b) it was DW's last game after he had announced 6 months prior that he was going to stay for his senior year. We crushed Marshall in front of 46k (for a 5-5 CUSA team!) and DW and Avery led the band afterwards.
12-17-2020 12:34 PM
AlonsoWDC Offline
Hall of Famer

Good summarization.

The UAB loss was the worst part, even more than the close loss at Tennessee the week after.

Nearly 50K at LBMS v. UAB on a rare national TV telecast. In 2005.
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2020 01:13 PM by AlonsoWDC.)
12-17-2020 01:13 PM
TiminMem23 Offline
All American

I saw the thread title and thought it was about our basketball team.
12-17-2020 03:42 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.