Cincinnati Bearcats

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

UT
Bookmark and Share
bcat1997 Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincinnati
UT
Tennessee endured the expected ups and downs of a season opener on Tuesday, but the Volunteers realize they're up against an accelerated learning curve given the timing of the game.

In action at last after five postponements related to COVID-19 concerns within the program, No. 12 Tennessee will aim to build on this week's shaky victory against Colorado when it hosts Cincinnati on Saturday afternoon.

Volunteers coach Rick Barnes admitted "there were times when we lost some rhythm" in a 56-47 win against the Buffaloes. On the bright side, Tennessee at least has a pulse on the catalyst that gets the team going.

"When we got back in control of the game, it was with our defense," Barnes said. "We got out in transition. Got more of an attack type mentality. We need to continue that when we get to the benches and guys come in. Some of these guys were tentative, like you would expect. We've got to get through that."

Keon Johnson and Jaden Springer were especially effective on the defensive end.

"They really are good at ballhawking," Barnes said. "They will get in there and we talk about tackling the ball and getting a guy in your grasp and trying to take the ball away from him. Both those guys have that ability."

John Fulkerson and Santiago Vescovi paced Tennessee with 11 points apiece as the Volunteers struggled from the field, shooting 35.8 percent (19 for 53).

Vescovi offered a spark by making 3 of 4 attempts from 3-point range and dishing a game-high five assists.

Barnes, however, bemoaned lost opportunities for the Volunteers to exert their floor game. Colorado won the rebounding battle 38-32.

"The biggest concern I have is the way we rebounded," Barnes said. "We have to be better to be the team we want to be."

Conversely, Cincinnati coach John Brannen lauded his team's defensive performance in its most recent game. The Bearcats (2-1) limited visiting Furman to 39.7 percent shooting in Wednesday's 78-73 victory.

"That needed to happen," Brannen said. "I know we gave up 73 points, and that's still too many. But at the same time, to play against such an explosive offensive team and to provide the consistent grit our guys did on a consistent basis (Wednesday), I was really excited about that."

Keith Williams, who shouldered blame for Cincinnati's uneven performance in a season-opening win against Lipscomb and Sunday's late lapses against crosstown rival Xavier, shined with a game-high 27 points, the second-most he has scored in his four-year career.

Brannen said Williams "was as locked in as I've seen him" and reiterated that "he needs to understand we need that every game."

Williams, who fought through several double-teams by the Paladins, played for much of the game, receiving minimal rest.

Fine by him.

"I put a ton of work in, and it's paying off now, I guess," Williams said.

While Cincinnati is shooting 47.1 percent and outrebounding opponents by an average margin of 6.7 per game, the Bearcats continue to struggle with ball control and free throws. Cincinnati is shooting just 64.9 percent from the line (37 for 57) while averaging 12 turnovers a game.

--Field Level Media

12-11-2020 12:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

robertfoshizzle Offline
Heisman

RE: UT
I hope Keith continues to attack the rim like he has so far. He's got to start making free throws though, because he's going to be at the line a lot this year. We can be really good, maybe even borderline elite, offensively if we shoot 70% from the free throw line and 35% from three as a team.

12-11-2020 01:07 PM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(12-11-2020 01:07 PM)robertfoshizzle Wrote:  I hope Keith continues to attack the rim like he has so far. He's got to start making free throws though, because he's going to be at the line a lot this year. We can be really good, maybe even borderline elite, offensively if we shoot 70% from the free throw line and 35% from three as a team.

I think Brannen said it well in the article quote; Keith has demonstrated the ability to perform offensively at that level on several occasions but has never consistently delivered it over the course of a season. Now is his time to shine and lead this team in scoring. He's really a fun player to watch when he's exploding toward the basket.

12-11-2020 01:16 PM
bearcatfan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Bearcats!
According to what I have seen, the game is on SEC Network (alternate). I have Sling so if I want to watch it I'll have to spend another $10 to add on more sports.

12-11-2020 01:47 PM
bcat1997 Offline
All American

Such an important game. The trajectory of this season is grossly different with W/L here IMO.

12-11-2020 01:53 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

I Root For: Civil Disobedience

Donators
They don’t look to be a big scoring team but they will play better D than we have seen.

With the OOC limitations and losing to X at home it’s a huge resume game.

12-11-2020 02:23 PM
Advertisement

OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(12-11-2020 01:47 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  According to what I have seen, the game is on SEC Network (alternate). I have Sling so if I want to watch it I'll have to spend another $10 to add on more sports.

Anyone know if that SEC Network alternate channel is on Fioptics cable locally? I'm pretty sure I glide past the SEC Network many days during channel surfing but don't recall the alternate.

12-11-2020 02:43 PM
dubcat14 Offline
1st String

If you get the SEC Network normally (YouTube TV does) you can access the alternate channel by using the ESPN App.

12-11-2020 02:52 PM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
Fulkerson is a very tough matchup. Unorthodox game and can shoot well. Curious to see what Brannen does there. More zone will not surprise me in this one.

12-11-2020 02:56 PM
chatcat Offline
All American

I Root For: BEARCATS
(12-11-2020 02:43 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  
(12-11-2020 01:47 PM)bearcatfan Wrote:  According to what I have seen, the game is on SEC Network (alternate). I have Sling so if I want to watch it I'll have to spend another $10 to add on more sports.

Anyone know if that SEC Network alternate channel is on Fioptics cable locally? I'm pretty sure I glide past the SEC Network many days during channel surfing but don't recall the alternate.

Channel 205 on Fioptics.

12-11-2020 07:33 PM
TheShoeFits Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Bearcats
I line in northern KY. Channel 518 on Spectrum.

12-12-2020 09:32 AM
Advertisement

rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
I’m already getting sick of this. Trying to figure out how to watch the dang game...I have the SEC network via YouTube tv but you need an act of Congress to locate the alternate. Think I located in ESPN app. I miss TV’s with dials and 4 channels sometimes. Lol

May just watch football and keep my blood pressure down.

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2020 10:05 AM by rath v2.0.)
12-12-2020 10:03 AM
dsquare Offline
All American

I Root For: Cincy
I saw on a post elsehwere Diarra didn't make the trip. Not sure if he is sick or anything else? Anyone hear anything?

12-12-2020 10:07 AM
OKIcat Offline
Heisman

(12-11-2020 07:33 PM)chatcat Wrote:  
(12-11-2020 02:43 PM)OKIcat Wrote:  

Channel 205 on Fioptics.

Thanks for posting that; I surfed Fioptics this morning and discovered it there too.

I empathize with those frustrated finding game coverage day to day; 300 channels of trash on cable but it's a hunting trip to find our games some days. Now we'll see if SEC Network announcers know anything about our 'Cats. I doubt it.

12-12-2020 10:34 AM
Billy_Bearcat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
Donators
Take the Vols, lay the 7

12-12-2020 12:01 PM
rath v2.0 Offline
Wartime Consigliere

Donators
Take the 7 and UC.

12-12-2020 12:05 PM
Advertisement

eroc Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UC, Liverpool
(12-12-2020 10:07 AM)dsquare Wrote:  I saw on a post elsehwere Diarra didn't make the trip. Not sure if he is sick or anything else? Anyone hear anything?

Dan stating that Diarra is opting out for the season due to COVID. Not affecting his eligibility going forward.

12-12-2020 12:08 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

How in the ever loving **** can I get our Women's basketball game against Central Michigan, but not the Men's basketball game AGAINST THE #12 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY!?!?!

12-12-2020 12:11 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

(12-12-2020 12:01 PM)Billy_Bearcat Wrote:  Take the Vols, lay the 7

You're reliable than baby sitting it's pants 03-lmfao

(This post was last modified: 12-12-2020 12:14 PM by BearcatMan.)
12-12-2020 12:13 PM
SeniorBearcat Offline
I can eat fifty eggs

I Root For: Binturongs

Donators
Checking YouTube TV in Toledo area and the SEC Network is showing UGA vs Mizzou football...is this game on ESPN+?

12-12-2020 12:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.