Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Starting next year, some non-conference SEC FB and MBB games will be on ESPN+
usffan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: USF
Starting next year, some non-conference SEC FB and MBB games will be on ESPN+

But remember, the AAC was crazy for allowing this...

USFFan
12-10-2020 05:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
RE: Starting next year, some non-conference SEC FB and MBB games will be on ESPN+
ESPN getting ready for post-conference network era.

8 Big 12 schools are on ESPN+ instead of a separate network.
12-10-2020 06:11 PM
schmolik Offline
CSNBB's Big 10 Cheerleader

I Root For: UIUC, PSU, Nova
RE: Starting next year, some non-conference SEC FB and MBB games will be on ESPN+
I believe the key word/phrase is "non-conference".

Are Alabama fans really going to miss the November cupcake game on TV?
12-10-2020 06:12 PM
Fighting Muskie Offline
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(12-10-2020 06:11 PM)bullet Wrote:  ESPN getting ready for post-conference network era.

So if the future of T3 is drawing subscribers to a streaming platform what is the Big Ten to do with their 49% Fox owned conference network?

Fox doesn’t have the media catalog or the platform to make that happen.
12-10-2020 06:31 PM
Kit-Cat Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Championships
CrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappiesCrappies
What this really means is that ESPN+ will soon be must have for the college FB fan.

07-coffee3
12-11-2020 10:17 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
schmolik Offline

(12-11-2020 10:17 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  What this really means is that ESPN+ will soon be must have for the college FB fan.

07-coffee3

Yeah, I'm going to run out to get ESPN+ so I can watch Mercer at Alabama next year!
12-11-2020 10:20 AM
Advertisement

kevinwmsn Offline
1st String

I Root For: South Alabama
They want to say they have SEC on ESPN+... Gotta sell subscriptions to SEC fans...
12-11-2020 11:51 AM
whittx Offline
All American

I Root For: FSU, Bport,Corn
(12-11-2020 10:20 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(12-11-2020 10:17 AM)Kit-Cat Wrote:  What this really means is that ESPN+ will soon be must have for the college FB fan.

07-coffee3

Yeah, I'm going to run out to get ESPN+ so I can watch Mercer at Alabama next year!

And the Kentucky-Transylvania basketball game.
12-11-2020 12:06 PM
schmolik Offline

(12-11-2020 12:06 PM)whittx Wrote:  
(12-11-2020 10:20 AM)schmolik Wrote:  

07-coffee3

And the Kentucky-Transylvania basketball game.

I don't mind the cupcakes in men's basketball since the top teams usually play other top teams (Kentucky always plays in the Champions Classic vs. either Duke, Michigan State, or Kansas plus Louisville and usually a few other top teams). Plus the Selection Committee does reward strength of schedule and rewards less playing cupcakes unlike football which doesn't give a crap who you play.
12-11-2020 12:46 PM
46566 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Gonzaga
I'm curious if this will force the smaller conferences off of ESPN and into ESPN+. Should CBS look towards a P5 to fill the gap or maybe give a AAC a bigger payout and fill out the Sec time slots? Maybe shift a potential MWC or C-usa night game?.
12-11-2020 01:22 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Alabama

07-coffee3

Yep, in the long term, more and more content will be moved to ESPN+ from any league that ESPN has contracts with.
12-11-2020 03:22 PM
Advertisement

AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(12-10-2020 06:31 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(12-10-2020 06:11 PM)bullet Wrote:  ESPN getting ready for post-conference network era.

So if the future of T3 is drawing subscribers to a streaming platform what is the Big Ten to do with their 49% Fox owned conference network?

Fox doesn’t have the media catalog or the platform to make that happen.

The Big Ten is going to have to give a hard look to other networks with streaming products.
12-11-2020 03:24 PM
ChrisLords Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Virginia Tech
(12-10-2020 05:41 PM)usffan Wrote:  

USFFan

So, are these ESPN+ games going to be simulcast on the SECN? If not, they are going to be taking content directly off of SECN and putting it on ESPN+.

I thought they were maxed out with how thin they could spread the SEC package. This new deal is only for essentially 1 more game a week, so it doesn't add that many more games.
12-11-2020 10:12 PM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(12-11-2020 10:12 PM)ChrisLords Wrote:  
(12-10-2020 05:41 PM)usffan Wrote:  

USFFan

So, are these ESPN+ games going to be simulcast on the SECN? If not, they are going to be taking content directly off of SECN and putting it on ESPN+.

I thought they were maxed out with how thin they could spread the SEC package. This new deal is only for essentially 1 more game a week, so it doesn't add that many more games.

I'm speculating a little, but I think you'll see less competition in certain time slots.

The CBS game has been at 230 CT forever although CBS did budge and allow ESPN via the SECN to schedule a game in that time slot. Mind you, it's never an awesome game or anything, but they also wanted to sell the SECN to as many customers as they could in those early days. That may not be a priority any longer.

ABC will get the 230 CT game now although it won't always be the marquee game of the week. At times, the marquis game will be primetime and I bet you'll see a different type of coverage on SECN during those time slots.

The SECN will likely have a decent game during the 11am slot in most weeks. I bet you they average about 2 games a week though instead of 3.

Also, most of these non-conference games that will be available for ESPN+ will be during the early weeks of the year. A handful will come during the meat of the season(homecoming games and things such as that), but we're only talking 14...one per team.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2020 12:46 AM by AllTideUp.)
12-12-2020 12:45 AM
schmolik Offline

(12-12-2020 12:45 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Also, most of these non-conference games that will be available for ESPN+ will be during the early weeks of the year. A handful will come during the meat of the season(homecoming games and things such as that), but we're only talking 14...one per team.

If you have to pick the dog game from each team for ESPN+ in 2021, most of them will be in November and a ton of dogs will be Nov. 20 because that's what SEC teams do.

Alabama: Mercer (Nov. 20)
Georgia: Charleston Southern (Nov. 20)
Florida: Samford (Nov. 13)
Texas A&M: Prairie View (Nov. 20)
LSU: McNeese State (Sept. 11)
Auburn: Alabama State (Nov. 20)
Tennessee: South Alabama (Nov. 20)
Kentucky: Louisiana Monroe (Sept. 4)
Missouri: SE Missouri State (Sept. 18)
South Carolina: Eastern Illinois (Sept. 4)

The only chance for a legitimate SEC game next year on Nov. 20 is Florida at LSU and that assumes LSU comes back to anywhere near 2019 form. Will the SEC have the guts to schedule it on Nov. 20 or will be stuck with a dog game on CBS that week? Guess what will be on Nov. 20 next fall? Penn State at Ohio State. In the Big Ten, Ohio State plays Penn State the week before Michigan. In the SEC, Alabama plays Mercer the week before Auburn.
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2020 07:37 AM by schmolik.)
12-12-2020 07:30 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline

November FCS games, with the exception of extreme scheduling hardship (you’re Indy or had a last minute cancellation) should be banned.

A weak OOC opponent for homecoming is one thing if you’re perennially in the bottom third of the conference standings but com’on! No one needs a tune up the next to last week of the season.

P5s should be playing a minimum of 10 P5s and 0 FCS.

But to the point of this thread, the 14 games will all be vs FCS/G5 competition
(This post was last modified: 12-12-2020 08:26 AM by Fighting Muskie.)
12-12-2020 08:25 AM
Advertisement

schmolik Offline

(12-12-2020 08:25 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  November FCS games, with the exception of extreme scheduling hardship (you’re Indy or had a last minute cancellation) should be banned.

A weak OOC opponent for homecoming is one thing if you’re perennially in the bottom third of the conference standings but com’on! No one needs a tune up the next to last week of the season.

Hey, Fighting Muskie and I finally agree on something:)
12-12-2020 08:27 AM
Fighting Muskie Offline

(12-12-2020 08:27 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(12-12-2020 08:25 AM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  November FCS games, with the exception of extreme scheduling hardship (you’re Indy or had a last minute cancellation) should be banned.

Hey, Fighting Muskie and I finally agree on something:)

You and I actually agree on a lot. We both want a strong, successful, well paid Big Ten. We just have different views on how to accomplish it.

I see Oklahoma as essential to the long term of the conference—you’d rather eat a big than add the Sooners.
12-12-2020 08:30 AM
AllTideUp Offline
Heisman

(12-12-2020 07:30 AM)schmolik Wrote:  
(12-12-2020 12:45 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  Also, most of these non-conference games that will be available for ESPN+ will be during the early weeks of the year. A handful will come during the meat of the season(homecoming games and things such as that), but we're only talking 14...one per team.

If you have to pick the dog game from each team for ESPN+ in 2021, most of them will be in November and a ton of dogs will be Nov. 20 because that's what SEC teams do.

The only chance for a legitimate SEC game next year on Nov. 20 is Florida at LSU and that assumes LSU comes back to anywhere near 2019 form. Will the SEC have the guts to schedule it on Nov. 20 or will be stuck with a dog game on CBS that week? Guess what will be on Nov. 20 next fall? Penn State at Ohio State. In the Big Ten, Ohio State plays Penn State the week before Michigan. In the SEC, Alabama plays Mercer the week before Auburn.

Oh yes...the old "it's fine to play a crap team the first couple of weeks of the season but not during November because that's somehow totally different" argument.

Do you know how many people in SEC country care that Ohio State plays Penn State in November? Not a single freaking one of them. It's one of 2-3 somewhat competitive games OSU will have all season. Half of the Big Ten schedule constitutes a functional off-week for the genuine contenders.

You have the occasional "back-to-back" tough games on the Big Ten calendar, but they are rare and no one gives a crap whether they happen in November or October or September. They happen all the time on the SEC schedule which, ironically, is why teams like to play a cupcake late in the season because it's a breather...not a tune-up.

BTW, if you folks are worried about the quality of the schedule then you might want to require more than 6 games be played in a season. The SEC played 10(more than our standard 8) this year and didn't cancel anything to keep its contenders from slipping up(as Florida just did) before the CCG.

And I'll bet the next thing you're going to tell me is oversigning is terrible and undermines the integrity of the game, but numerous rape and molestation scandals aren't indicative at all of a culture that values winning over everything else?

If you're going to troll then at least come up with new material.

I'll commend the Big Ten for one thing though...at least your representative didn't get blown out in their CFP game last year. That's progress.
12-13-2020 02:40 AM
schmolik Offline

(12-13-2020 02:40 AM)AllTideUp Wrote:  
(12-12-2020 07:30 AM)schmolik Wrote:  

Oh yes...the old "it's fine to play a crap team the first couple of weeks of the season but not during November because that's somehow totally different" argument.

Do you know how many people in SEC country care that Ohio State plays Penn State in November? Not a single freaking one of them. It's one of 2-3 somewhat competitive games OSU will have all season. Half of the Big Ten schedule constitutes a functional off-week for the genuine contenders.

You have the occasional "back-to-back" tough games on the Big Ten calendar, but they are rare and no one gives a crap whether they happen in November or October or September. They happen all the time on the SEC schedule which, ironically, is why teams like to play a cupcake late in the season because it's a breather...not a tune-up.

BTW, if you folks are worried about the quality of the schedule then you might want to require more than 6 games be played in a season. The SEC played 10(more than our standard 8) this year and didn't cancel anything to keep its contenders from slipping up(as Florida just did) before the CCG.

And I'll bet the next thing you're going to tell me is oversigning is terrible and undermines the integrity of the game, but numerous rape and molestation scandals aren't indicative at all of a culture that values winning over everything else?

If you're going to troll then at least come up with new material.

I'll commend the Big Ten for one thing though...at least your representative didn't get blown out in their CFP game last year. That's progress.

I don't know about you but I'm usually more into football as the season goes along. I'd rather see Penn State-Ohio State late in the season. Last year, it was the second to last game of the year and this year it was the second game of the season. This year it was a 1-0 team vs. an 0-1 team. Last year was a 9-1 team vs. a 10-0 team. Which game would you rather watch? This year was an exception but having big games in September takes the fun out of them and Penn State playing Ohio State (and Indiana) early ended our season before it started. What if Penn State had played Rutgers and Michigan State first? Maybe we beat Nebraska or Maryland. I don't know how you think about it but I like this sport called baseball and we do have a team in Philly to cheer for and I don't appreciate it when Alabama plays big games in September and FCS teams in November rather than the other way around. I realize Alabama has no baseball teams and you probably don't care but I'm not missing Phillies games to watch Alabama play and I'm not watching Alabama play Mercer so if you want me to watch Alabama, you know when you have to schedule Florida next year.
12-13-2020 06:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.