Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Invite North Dakota State for football-only membership?
Bookmark and Share
EigenEagle Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Ga Southern
Invite North Dakota State for football-only membership?
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthre...to-the-FBS

Their fans are starting to take notice of all of the success of their former FCS peers in FBS. Reminds me of Georgia Southern and App State fans around 10 years ago TBH. I think we should look at adding them for football.

Here's the benefits:

1. Football-only membership means sending only football teams to Fargo and the Summit where all of NDSU's other teams play won't kick them out if they go FBS.

2. They probably already have an FBS-ready budget or aren't far from it. Their football already has to travel fairly big distances to other MVFC teams.

3. Fan base size is big enough they'd add value to the TV contract.

4. They've sustained success over a long period of time going back to 8 titles in DII. I don't know how they heck they do it in North Dakota but no one can call them a flash in the pan. With them we'd become a whale of a football league that could finish ahead of the MWC in the rankings at least as often as we don't.
12-08-2020 03:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
RE: Invite North Dakota State for football-only membership?
Aren’t we only a few year removed from flying to that part of the country for a game?
12-08-2020 03:28 PM
CardinalBlackTrojan Offline

I Root For: TROY
I like NDSU, but no. If you want a former "peer", go get Marshall. They have a history playing some big games back in the 1AA days against App State, Georgia Southern, and Troy.

10 is a good number for the Sun Belt, and North Dakota is way too far. That's one reason Idaho and New Mexico State were shown the door.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2020 03:46 PM by CardinalBlackTrojan.)
12-08-2020 03:41 PM
111App Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: App State
Not that it really matters but we’ve never played NDSU.
12-08-2020 04:26 PM
Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

I Root For: GA Southern
(12-08-2020 03:23 PM)EigenEagle Wrote:  http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthre...to-the-FBS

Their fans are starting to take notice of all of the success of their former FCS peers in FBS. Reminds me of Georgia Southern and App State fans around 10 years ago TBH. I think we should look at adding them for football.

Here's the benefits:

1. Football-only membership means sending only football teams to Fargo and the Summit where all of NDSU's other teams play won't kick them out if they go FBS.

2. They probably already have an FBS-ready budget or aren't far from it. Their football already has to travel fairly big distances to other MVFC teams.

3. Fan base size is big enough they'd add value to the TV contract.

4. They've sustained success over a long period of time going back to 8 titles in DII. I don't know how they heck they do it in North Dakota but no one can call them a flash in the pan. With them we'd become a whale of a football league that could finish ahead of the MWC in the rankings at least as often as we don't.

None of those benifits are good enough to add a team from Canada-lite (North Dakota) to a Southern based football league. Hell they are probably even too far for the MWC or MAC to consider them much less a league that stretches from Texas to North Carolina.

I like 12 for football but the only Football Only members I'd consider would be still somewhat in our footprint...Liberty, JMU or some CUSA school that wants to go to a basketball conference and needs somewhere to park football like some ODU fans sometime threaten on the Coosa board.
12-08-2020 04:33 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
Move them to MS, TN, AR or TX and they’d be a great add, but not in ND. Sorry, but no thanks.
12-08-2020 04:38 PM
Advertisement

Georgia_Power_Company Offline
All American

(12-08-2020 04:26 PM)111App Wrote:  Not that it really matters but we’ve never played NDSU.

^
This is true...crApp was not good enough the last few years in FCS to face NDSU in the playoffs.

05-stirthepot
12-08-2020 04:38 PM
TrueBlueAlum Offline
1st String

You intentionally want to invite another L onto our schedule every year? Nah, I'm good.
12-08-2020 04:41 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

I Root For: Good Times
(12-08-2020 04:41 PM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  You intentionally want to invite another L onto our schedule every year? Nah, I'm good.

Get good.
12-08-2020 05:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rokamortis Offline
All American

I Root For: Coastal
Instead of NDSU, get Boise State. Although hypocritical after what happened with Idaho and NMSU, I think the additional strength would justify the action.

12-08-2020 05:02 PM
JoeJag Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

We really need Southern Miss to connect the Sun BELT.
12-08-2020 05:05 PM
Advertisement

TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(12-08-2020 05:05 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  We really need Southern Miss to connect the Sun BELT.

The only one I would want is Marshall. No one else in CUSA is consistently good.
12-08-2020 05:07 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chantzilla Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: COASTAL
(12-08-2020 05:05 PM)JoeJag Wrote:  We really need Southern Miss to connect the Sun BELT.

There's a gap in Tennessee too.

We weren't around when MTSU was a member. Honest question...how did the current membership (i.e. Troy, Arkansas State, Louisiana, etc.) take the Blue Raiders leaving earlier this decade? Was it "good riddance?" Did you guys hate to see them go?

We've played them in baseball & basketball within the last year or so.
12-08-2020 05:30 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-08-2020 05:07 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  

The only one I would want is Marshall. No one else in CUSA is consistently good.

Marshall has had bad years as well, don’t act like they are a consistent 10 game winner, every year. USM has had there good years as well, they are just down right now. The only difference I see historically from Marshall to USM is location and a tragic night 50 years ago.
12-08-2020 05:39 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-08-2020 05:30 PM)chantzilla Wrote:  

There's a gap in Tennessee too.

We weren't around when MTSU was a member. Honest question...how did the current membership (i.e. Troy, Arkansas State, Louisiana, etc.) take the Blue Raiders leaving earlier this decade? Was it "good riddance?" Did you guys hate to see them go?

We've played them in baseball & basketball within the last year or so.

Hated to see them go when they left. I personally felt like the move was lateral at best due to the teams that had left CUSA, even at that point, and it has proven to be even worse for them. All their fans thumped their chest, talked down about the SBC as they went out the door, chanting CUSA CUSA CUSA as if they had been called up to the majors. My feelings personally are let them rot in CUSA, they made that bed, let them lie in it.
12-08-2020 05:44 PM
EagleNationRising Offline
1st String

I Root For: GaSouthern
(12-08-2020 04:41 PM)TrueBlueAlum Wrote:  You intentionally want to invite another L onto our schedule every year? Nah, I'm good.

Hearing a GS fan say this is shameful smh
12-08-2020 05:57 PM
Advertisement

Pounce FTW Online
All American

I Root For: GSU - MU - AU
The SBC's football brand has been built on its own, not by poaching from other conferences. (I consider FCS move-ups a different story.) Coastal, Louisiana, App, and Troy have been recognized on their own merits, not by achieving FBS success elsewhere and then bringing their talents to the Belt. If we're going to add for reputation's sake, I think I'd rather invite teams with hoops in mind.
12-08-2020 05:57 PM
TroyFootball05 Offline
1987 Man of the Year

(12-08-2020 05:39 PM)Usajags Wrote:  

Marshall has had bad years as well, don’t act like they are a consistent 10 game winner, every year. USM has had there good years as well, they are just down right now. The only difference I see historically from Marshall to USM is location and a tragic night 50 years ago.

Over the last eight years, Marshall's records have been very good. Much better than Southern Miss, so I don't see how this statement makes any sense.
12-08-2020 06:09 PM
T2003 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Troy & Auburn
NDSU?, while we are at it, let’s invite the University of Alaska, Anchorage and Prokick Australia.

I wouldn’t mind adding JMU though.
12-08-2020 06:14 PM
Usajags Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(12-08-2020 06:09 PM)TroyFootball05 Wrote:  
(12-08-2020 05:39 PM)Usajags Wrote:  

Over the last eight years, Marshall's records have been very good. Much better than Southern Miss, so I don't see how this statement makes any sense.

You said Marshall was the only consistently good team in CUSA, in the last 5 years, Marshall has one more win then USM. I was just stating that Marshall isn’t any more consistent then any other team. USM had a terrible hire in 2012 and took them 4 years to get over it. Before the Fedora hire, USM had 18 winning seasons in a row. 3 bad years, and the last 5 have been good. So please tell me how you don’t understand what I’m saying that Marshall isn’t more consistent then USM.
12-08-2020 06:20 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.