Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Yesterday Should Be a Lesson to the Team on What Could Be
Bookmark and Share
falconplucker Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Yesterday Should Be a Lesson to the Team on What Could Be
Toledo should take note on what it takes to win a championship, remember the feeling from yesterday, and apply it next season. There's only a couple of things holding this team back and most of them are mental. There's a reason Ball State will be playing for a West title next week. Yes, Ball State has some NFL level talent. They are not an "average" team as some implied. However, they bring something to field that Toledo has yet to learn. They bring fire, grit, determination, and focus for an entire game. The are ready to play for 60 minutes. Championship teams don't wait for the game to come to them, they don't play for one half, and they don't rack up over 100 yards in penalties every game. Until UT does that, they will not win a division title.
I do think Toledo has the players to win a title. The wr unit is developing into an outstanding group. Newton, Maddox, and Winstead are showing gritty playmaking ability. They also seem to have the ability to make plays when the momentum picks up for opposing teams. Yesterday was the first game, where I felt Carter Bradley looked like a 4 star recruit. There were some tipped balls at the line and one throw he should not have tried, but he's developing touch, he's more confident in decision making, and he no longer looks like a newborn fawn when he tucks and runs. The defense showed it can step up. Perhaps a more normal season or preparation under new defensive coaches will help. The O-line does need improved. Right now UT is like a boxer, who has a great knockout punch, but a soft mid-section. Better depth, run blocking, and pass protection are needed. I believe next year can be a championship season. I believe Bradley and this receiver group are capable of breaking all kinds of records. The question is can UT develop the mental toughness and focus to get over the hump? I'm being hopeful.
12-06-2020 10:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

bcunn3128 Away
Heisman

I Root For: U of Toledo
RE: Yesterday Should Be a Lesson to the Team on What Could Be
Solid points made.

At this point, I see at least 2 programs ahead of us: WMU & Ball State. Western has a very good, young QB who is now more experienced than Bradley, and the Broncos can build around him. If they beat Ball State they head into next season with plenty of momentum. It may take another season for the Rockets to fully catch up.

Ball State, on the other hand, has a star RB, but they’ve now won 2 games without him. I am impressed with the “team” play of the Cardinals. They, too, could be building something special in Muncie, at least for the short term.

But—a spot in the MAC championship game this season & next would likely result in the WMU or Ball State coach being poached away, and that could present an opening in the 2022 season for Toledo, if they address the obvious areas of concern.
(This post was last modified: 12-06-2020 11:15 AM by bcunn3128.)
12-06-2020 11:14 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

The two games lost were on coaching errors and it's not clear if those were actually good teams. An upper class QB should look 4* against 6 starting Freshmen.

I'd be more reserved to take anything positive from this game. UT was dominated on both lines up until about 7 minutes remaining when NIU's D started making the same mistakes ours had been all game.

I agree most of the mistakes are mental. I don't see that it's just undisciplined type of mental mistakes, though plenty of those two. Knowledge, play calls... Other than along the line, it didn't appear to me we were outmatched physically. That they did seem outmatched physically along the line against under-classmen is a concern. I thought our weight training program a strength.

Well, we'll never know how well the new coaching team would have adjusted given more games. But we do know they should have been in place at least two seasons ago. Buck stops at a place that doesn't seem willing to change.
12-06-2020 11:37 AM
Advertisement

UofToledoFans Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo and G5
I feel like solid linebacker play and size would do a ton for the defense. The rest of the defenses problem is attitude. I'm all for getting pumped after a big play but the penalties by that group (back end) HAVE to be fixed.

We have zero confidence in the kicking game. Clucky and Davis have been switching spots all season... We also need a fricking kick and punt returner who knows the damn game! DMkL has some ability but looks lost in the moment. Those gafs really have added up this year.

Offensively, get back to the bread and butter run game. Shakif being out has hurt more than I would have expected. The run blocking is suspect as well adding insult to injury. Look at the run game for BSU and WMU. That's why they're leading the division. Carter is very capable as a skill set and our wideouts are pretty good! I'm optimistic there.

Lots of positive things over last year as we are barely punting and have shown we can pull away from lesser competition. Ball State, CMU and WMU have not done that much.

We beat our two rivals, they'll be back next year wanting revenge. F@$& BG, AND NIU, AND THE BUCKEYES TOO!
12-06-2020 11:41 AM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Niu I felt was stuffing the run game with a superior line. A consistent 3-5 yds run game is great. But we didn't have it. Stuf, Stuff, hoping for a break is less reliable and harder to plan around. If the passing is the only reliable way to move the ball and hopefully open up a few runs, I think options are few. Bradley lost a few to tips by not seeing to his lane. Forced one, that resulted in an INT. Not too bad.

It's the line, it's the line, it's the line. Oh and those penalties agreed. Unnecessary. Forget penalizing the players. Maybe take a % off the coaching salary everytime a player makes an unforced personal foul, then I imagine it will become a coaching priority.
12-06-2020 12:43 PM
Advertisement

wetsu Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: MAC schools
It seems to me that the play of Harris, Doerger, and Gurman has been at least adequate, it's the Long and Rosi
pairing that needs to up their game. UT has outgained every team they've played but I agree that options are limited. Defensively, beyond Dyontae Johnson there is very little production from the inside linebacker positions. It's true that spread offenses change the equation as far as point of attack is concerned but I don't think that getting initial contact by secondary players bodes well, especially with the amount of Man Free coverage they play but I'm a guy that isn't too shot in the butt with man coverage. They held NIU to 67 plays and 380 yards but it's a young team so the amount of stunting and blitzing was probably causing problems since game and practice time has been at a premium.
12-06-2020 01:33 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

^^^

I'm going with what he said. Smarter than anything I could hope to put together. And "too shot in the butt with." I'm going to use that even if I have to make up a situation for it.
12-06-2020 02:16 PM
Advertisement

Toledo Football 1st Offline
All Rockets All The Time

I Root For: T O L E D O

DonatorsDonatorsDonators
In general, we haven't beat anybody that's any good. But, our two losses were only by 3, so it seems we have potential. People say QB is a major factor in the MAC. The D at least seems to know what they are doing now, even if they aren't great at it yet. IMO, the coaches have a lot of work to do because most everybody, everywhere, will be back.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2020 12:08 PM by Toledo Football 1st.)
12-06-2020 02:58 PM
rocketpaul Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
The fact that the last 2 games the D looked better in the second half shows they are coached better. Another real offseason will help even more.
12-08-2020 09:15 AM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

Lots of great points! I've just felt Bradley is showing more progress. His windup is a bit too long, but if he continues to improve, UT's passing game will be impressive. If Toledo can learn to play a complete game consistently, the record should as well.
12-10-2020 11:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.