Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Non Conference Football Games I'd Like to See Toledo Sign
Bookmark and Share
Nick in Cleveland Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
Ok, with this season down the crapper, let's think about non conference teams we'd like to see the AD area sign because when you look at our future schedules they really aren't that good right now.

First
Complete the current contracts of this year into future years, I want to see SDSU + Colorado St in the Glass Bowl and I want Toledo playing at MSU and Tulsa sometime soon. All are good games

Second
Drop UMass entirely, serves as nothing, total waste of contracts/assignments. Also drop LIU, this team is terrible and was previously a D2 team called CW Post two years ago. Hell if we are playing D2 teams now at least make Findlay or Tiffin and keep the money in-state (joking of course)

Three
Get 1 and 1 deals with these teams, all are pretty good, easy to travel too and will bring fans...
Army
Marshall
East Carolina
Cincy
UCF
Fresno St
Air Force

Four
Get BYU back on the schedule, in fact, have that replace the UMass series

Five
Sign these schools to money games where we only go there...
Ohio St
Michigan
Wisconsin
Texas
Tennesse
Utah
WVU
12-02-2020 12:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Michigan Rocket Offline
Special Teams

RE: Non Conference Football Games I'd Like to See Toledo Sign
Great ideas. Here's a question for anyone, what happens to all those games we already scheduled for this year? MSU, SDSU, etc...
12-02-2020 01:00 PM
Nick from Ohio Online
Bench Warmer

I Root For: The Little Guys
Don't forget about the other half of the Big 10 that regularly plays MAC schools. Indiana and Northwestern would make great road-trips and would be winnable games.

I cannot imagine us EVER playing Michigan or Penn State again. Not since we beat them on their fields, the thought of a second loss to us is too much.

Personally, I think we stay away from the Big 12 and instead look to the ACC and AAC.

1) ACC has a lot of teams that a typical Toledo team can compete with.

2) Similar for the AAC, we could join their conference today and compete and when "Conference Realignment" becomes a topic again, it would be nice to have some contracts already in place with the teams in the AAC.
12-02-2020 02:02 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
Like Nick said...I think the go to should be trying to find home and homes with beatable P5 teams, mostly the bottom feeders like BC, Wake Forest, Kansas, Illinois, Vanderbilt, etc.

I, however, don't think UT could compete as it currently stands in a conference like the AAC. As a Cincinnati fan, I would love to have Toledo on our schedule, as I think the games with OU and the last set of UT games were beneficial for both, plus we don't have many "drivable" road games anymore.
12-02-2020 02:19 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think you play road games that are either drivable, where a lot of alumni reside or are unique football environments. BYU and Michigan are my best rocket football memories and I hope to make the Notre Dame game. i see the idea behind playing wake forest, boston college, vandy, kansas, oregon st, etc... but i wouldn't plan a vacation around any with the poss exception of vandy (Nashville)
12-02-2020 03:24 PM
BearcatMan Offline
Kicking Connoisseur/Occasional Man Crush

I Root For: Cincinnati
(12-02-2020 03:24 PM)pono Wrote:  I think you play road games that are either drivable, where a lot of alumni reside or are unique football environments. BYU and Michigan are my best rocket football memories and I hope to make the Notre Dame game. i see the idea behind playing wake forest, boston college, vandy, kansas, oregon st, etc... but i wouldn't plan a vacation around any with the poss exception of vandy (Nashville)

Agreed, but I think you have to schedule with intent. If your intent is to win OOC P5 games, those are the teams you schedule...if your intent is to give your kids an experience, you do one-offs where you'll likely get pounded...then there are the games you schedule around recruiting pockets (ex. lots of players from FL, play a game down there).
12-02-2020 03:46 PM
Advertisement

rocketpaul Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo Rockets
Personally I would like to see them do a Home and Home with my Brother's alma mater Northwestern. I would like to see them play Kentucky again which is also drivable. I would like to see them play Tennessee as well want to tick that one off of my bucket list. Another home and home with Indiana and Purdue would be nice as well
if they play the Buckeyes in Cleveland as a home game again but I don't think Gene Smith would ever do that (while I am an OSU fan when they are not playing the Rockets I do think he is an arrogant ass)
12-02-2020 04:33 PM
Babes boy Offline
1st String

Definitely need to reschedule MSU. Would love some Army, Navy & Air Force. And branch out to some one and ones or two fers. Would like to see Georgia Southern come to the Glassbowl (it’s a family thing) How about Oklahoma & Oklahoma State Ol Miss, Auburn and why not showing the ACC we can win against them
12-02-2020 04:37 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Mt Union.
12-02-2020 05:35 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

(12-02-2020 05:35 PM)eastisbest Wrote:  Mt Union.

03-lmfao
12-02-2020 05:49 PM
PaulJ Offline
1st String

I assume this list is still correct and up to date?

Sept. 4- NORFOLK STATE
Sept. 11 – at Notre Dame
Sept. 18- COLORADO STATE
Oct. 2 – at UMass

Sept. 3 – LONG ISLAND
Sept. 10 – UMASS
Sept. 17 – at Ohio State
Sept. 24 – at San Diego State

Sept. 2 – at Illinois
Sept. 9 – WAGNER
Sept. 16 – SAN JOSE STATE
Sept. 30 – at UMass

Sept. 7 – UMASS
Sept. 14 – at Western Kentucky
Sept. 21 – at Maryland

Aug. 30 – at Kentucky
Sept. 13 – WESTERN KENTUCKY

Sept. 4 – KENTUCKY

Sept. 2 – at Kentucky
Sept. 9 – at San Jose State
12-02-2020 05:51 PM
Advertisement

PaulJ Offline
1st String

(12-02-2020 01:00 PM)Michigan Rocket Wrote:  Great ideas. Here's a question for anyone, what happens to all those games we already scheduled for this year? MSU, SDSU, etc...

good question

but it does look like non-conference schedule set until 2024 (of course could still see changes for 2021-2023 possible)
12-02-2020 05:54 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

the lack of Academies is disappointing. The 2 for 1 with Kentucky could get more valuable as time goes by. They seem to be inching up in a reasonably difficult conference. 03-wink 2021 at ND is an about time. If they were even remotely good, I would like the Norfolk St sched. And then, who wouldn't want an extra trip to Bowling Green?

If correct, looks like a fun enough schedule. A home run would have been another 2 for 1 with a big program or a 1-1 with a G5 city university whose conference we'd like to be considered for (though I prefer to stay and improve the MAC).
12-02-2020 06:03 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
OMG, I had no idea we played UMass four years in a row. That is way overkill.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
12-02-2020 08:32 PM
adunifon Offline
Heisman

Would like UCLA so we could see the rose bowl.
12-02-2020 08:44 PM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
(12-02-2020 08:32 PM)emanoh Wrote:  OMG, I had no idea we played UMass four years in a row. That is way overkill.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Umass is a head scratcher, poor team, little fan interest, we don’t recruit around there
12-02-2020 10:36 PM
Advertisement

eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-02-2020 08:44 PM)adunifon Wrote:  Would like UCLA so we could see the rose bowl.

Those iconic places! Try for those every two years at least so players can have the experience. Those UCLA players deserve the chance to see The Glass Bowl.
12-03-2020 08:03 AM
indianasniff Offline
All American

(12-02-2020 05:54 PM)PaulJ Wrote:  
(12-02-2020 01:00 PM)Michigan Rocket Wrote:  Great ideas. Here's a question for anyone, what happens to all those games we already scheduled for this year? MSU, SDSU, etc...

good question

but it does look like non-conference schedule set until 2024 (of course could still see changes for 2021-2023 possible)

2026 looks like the next possible MSU date https://fbschedules.com/ncaa-2026/team/michigan-state
12-03-2020 10:20 AM
letsgoblue Offline
Special Teams

Wonder if a two game series with Louisville would ever work out? (Home and Away) Not quite 5 hour bus ride.
12-03-2020 12:18 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(12-03-2020 12:18 PM)letsgoblue Wrote:  Wonder if a two game series with Louisville would ever work out? (Home and Away) Not quite 5 hour bus ride.

That'd be the kind of teams I like on the schedule, metro universities. Has UT ever played Louisville?
12-03-2020 12:41 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.